• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom would like Dragon's Dogma to sell 10M copies, be 2nd best selling PS3 in Japan

cyborg009

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-can-sell-10-million-worldwide-reckons-capcom

Capcom is hoping to sell 10 million copies of forthcoming fantasy RPG Dragon's Dogma, according to producer Hideaki Itsuno.
Speaking to Videogamer, Itsuno insisted that figure was ambitious but attainable, and is emblematic of Capcom's desire to chase success on a global stage and not just in Japan.
"I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are," he said.
"It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot, and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."
Itsuno added that Capcom believes the game will almost certainly break the million barrier in its homeland.
"But in Japan, we can absolutely sell a million units. We know that's attainable, it's absolutely do-able. We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."
The game, which Capcom claims is one of its largest productions ever, is due out on 25th May for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
"This is Capcom's first attempt at anything like it, and they'll have to deliver something special if it's to dislodge the genre's front-runners," read Eurogamer's recent Dragon's Dogma preview.
"We're still yet to discover much of the story, or learn of anything of the politics of this universe. Still, the signs are promising."

old interview if you wanted to know more: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/0...-and-the-role-of-the-breath-of-fire-designer/

It might sell good cause of Resident evil demo but one million in japan i doubt it. But it always good to aim high, you think it will happen?

Seda

10 million?

th

Patryn

If this was an American dev, they'd just say that they're looking at getting the CoD audience.

Bioware, I'm looking at YOU

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks amazing. I doubt it will do 10 million, but I hope it turns great and does really well.

lol Good luck with that Capcom. Even if some miracle happens and it sells 10m worldwide, I just don't see it reaching even 500k in Japan alone.

I feel like Capcom will put themselves up for sale when Dragon's Dogma bombs, DmC bombs and they run out of fighting game ports. Good opportunity for Konami or Sony to swoop in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom is batshit insane, and I'm saying that based on them thinking they can sell 1 million in Japan alone, before we even get to analyzing the 10 million copies thing.

Kazerei

Banned
It's kind of worrying that Capcpom staked such a huge budget on a new IP. Sounds like it'll have to sell a few million to break even. What if it turns out to be Dragon's Bomba?

Ranger X

At least it looks like the game is having great potential. I just discovered it because of this thread and I must say that I am interested now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
1 million in Japan?

This game is only on the PS3 right (because the 360 doesn't exist in Japan)? Is it too late to slap One Piece into the game? Because thats the craziest thing I've ever heard.

I thought they originally said they were looking for 1 million a couple months ago?

Their sales expectations are 1.5m. 10m isn't their expectation, but it is what they want it can eventually sell. Their expectations for what it will do are obviously much lower.

I think his comments about the Japanese sales are much more confusing considering that he's confident that it will sell a million there.

If it scratches the Dark Souls itch, it will be an interesting game to move on to. However, I think they're vastly overestimating their audience, especially at that time. Fantasy dungeon hack fans will be quite busy in the second half of May...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
hahaha

A new core IP could never sell that much at this stage of the 360/PS3 generation. It doesn't even look like the game is going to be good. What a waste of money.

Still in the worst scenario they may reuse Dragon's dogma's engine for other Xbox360/PS3/PC/WiiU games, so they could consider it as an investment to amortize hopefully in a couple years.

Skilletor

Reading comprehension?

We WANT this to sell 10 million copies and we're not positive it will be a success means they expect it to sell 10 million copies?

People are just making shit up now to hate on capcom.

scy

Are we sure the 10 million isn't a spelling error?

I do feel compelled to be a part of this now, though.

Jeels

I think more unattainable then 10 million worldwide is 1 million in Japan. I'd be shocked if it broke 500k in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reading comprehension?

We WANT this to sell 10 million copies and we're not positive it will be a success means they expect it to sell 10 million copies?

People are just making shit up now to hate on capcom.

They think they can be the second best selling PS3 game of all time in Japan.

How is this remotely sane?

Top Bottom