• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chief magazine covering GTA V next week with no new screenshots or details

AiTM

Banned
Anyone else get the feeling that R* is holding back all coverage of GTA 5 until Max Payne ships? Seems like Max Payne doesnt have a huge amount of hype and they dont want to step on its release. I think we wont get anything else until a month after Max Payne ships, i.e. June

Derrick01

Banned
GTA IV was awful? Some of you guys have set your standards way too stupidly high.

Compared to Vice City and San Andreas it was pretty bad. Content wise it was like GTA 3, not much to do and the missions were all either kill everyone or chase people...no diversity at all. So I'm hoping since they don't have to make a new engine now that this will be a lot more fun. I want to do crazy shit like jetpacking out of area 51 or stealing a Harrier.

The weapon and vehicle customization rumor is a nice start.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can't wait.

I'm guessing people feel that way because it wasn't as "zany" as the previous games. But I forgot all about that with Gay Tony.

Ugh, I hate it when people use that reasoning.

There was barely anything to unlock, main characters choices never made sense to me, the "choice" stuff was never there when it was needed most etc.. I could go on

Given that there was so much 'off' with GTA IV and much of that was fixed with Red Dead Redemption and, if the trailers are to be believed, Max Payne 3 then GTAV will benefit greatly. Particularly in the on foot/gunplay controls, which were my biggest bugbear with IV.

Ugh, I hate it when people use that reasoning.

There was barely anything to unlock, main characters choices never made sense to me, the "choice" stuff was never there when it was needed most etc.. I could go on

When has there ever really been a "choice" in GTA games sans you could go to "C" on the map or "Z"?

Unlocking stuff happened almost in the same way as the previous. I don't remember crazy unlocks in any of them besides cheat codes.

Plus the 2 expansions showed me they know how to deliver still. GTA IV wasn't what I expected, but it was still very good. If it wasn't for the shitty checkpoint system (which they cleared up in the later xpacs) it would be one my top this generation.

Gay Tony and to the lesser extent the biker expansion are better than almost any GTA I've played.

The one thing GTA IV severely lacked was vehicle variety and land mass. Being enclosed in a city is fun until you realize how much stuff repeats itself. San Andreas always gave you the feeling of really travelling while GTA IV felt very 'enclosed'.

Muffdraul

If anyone would like to refute the above claims, have at it.

- Terrible cover system

The fact that it had a cover system at all was an improvement for the franchise. It got the job done. It certainly wasn't bad enough to really hurt the game for me.

- Last gen checkpoint/save system

Again, it was an improvement over the previous gen GTAs. At least it had auto-save upon mission completion, rather than forcing you to return to a safehouse to save manually every single time.

- Cars/bikes handle poorly

Took a bit of getting used to. Once mastered, the driving was fantastic. Arguably as good as some dedicated racing games.

- Tedious map traversal

Sometimes. Nothing as tedious as the rural treks in San Andreas. And you always had the option to take a taxi and trip-skip.

- Tedious accrual of weaponry

Honestly not sure what you're referring to here.

- Map terrain too congested

While neither is ideal, personally I find a tight map to be preferable to a bloated sprawl. *cough*SANANDREAS*cough*

- Map terrain not varied enough

R* mentioned that early in development the map was bigger with more variety and it was trimmed to focus solely on Liberty City. Perhaps they went too far.

8bit

Knows the Score
Assuming this is a first reveal, are there any other mags due out within the next two weeks or so in the US that might have screens?

Just because the earlier games didn't have it, doesn't mean it's better.

You also seem to rationalize a lot of the points by saying "it wasn't that bad".

GTA IV is if nothing else...

Bad evolution:
uQZzXm.jpg

- Tedious accrual of weaponry
I'm referring to the fact that there were only a few, small places where you could buy weapons.

Given the tedious traversal, it made it time consuming to get the weapons you wanted.

So it took a shitload of time to even be able to start to play them.
Getting a "loadout" was much easier in prior games.

please do not let this turn into another gtaiv GOOD OR BAD thread
Too late. We'll debate it forever.

Until GTA V scans leak and we pretend we didn't Google them.

Daeda

I thought Rockstar typically used trailers for their game reveals, not magazine exclusives.

This is often the case, but not always. Edge had a big coverage of Max Payne 3 last year. And in October Chief was apparently the first to have the coverage of the game demonstration that was helt in that month (see: http://www.chief.be/magazine/54) So while it is not impossible that its a joke or something, the track records shows its really a good possibility.

Muffdraul

Just because the earlier games didn't have it, doesn't mean it's better.

Compared to the previous games, there were improvements. There's no refuting that. If the improvements didn't satisfy you, so be it.

You also seem to rationalize a lot of the points by saying "it wasn't that bad".

When it comes to long running franchises, my expectations are tempered by my experience w/ said franchise. I think this is why I so often find myself sitting back and enjoying games while it feels like everyone around me is losing their shit and crying about how disappointed they are and coming up with lists of flaws. That's not what gaming is about for me. *shrug*

When it comes to long running franchises, my expectations are tempered by my experience w/ said franchise. I think this is why I so often find myself sitting back and enjoying games while it feels like everyone around me is losing their shit and crying about how disappointed they are and coming up with lists of flaws. That's not what gaming is about for me. *shrug*

I don't feel as if I'm being overcritical, nor do I think that's my M.O.

I'm a big R* fan and a big GTA fan.

I just feel that they ignored the past lessons (negative and positive) learnt with the franchise and it was 1 step forward (into the HD generation) and 3 steps back (city layout, controls, structure).

(._.)

Banned
We already forgot how terrible GTA4 was?

I haven't forgotten. It was a boring pile of repetitive missions that peaked after the first five hours once you got over how impressive it was at the time tech wise.

however... those first five hours :whoa:

Stat!

Big Rockstar fan this gen so I can't wait for the reveal. I hope they somewhat focus on a similar aspect to RDR and how that world felt.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm also hoping they can skip the 30 mission tutorial this time too. Or at least if they're going to do that then stop making every mission a generic kill or chase one.

I get a lot of the GTAIV resentment. There was such potential there! My lasting impression is that Rockstar simply put too much stock in the 'experience' of driving around Liberty City.

My specific complaint: Don't have us still doing tutorial missions 5 hours into the game. edit: beaten by Derrick

As to the information about GTAV, I thought that Rockstar didn't use E3 for GTA reveals/announcements?

I have never been as hyped as I was for GTAIV. Damn those final months of waiting were painful. Then after I got the game those first five hours were amazing...well after that let's just say that the game was still definitely good. I'm hyped of course for GTAV too but there was something special with IV as first HD GTA (and I was younger also).

While we're giving feedback I'd like it if Rockstar dropped enemy count and instead improved enemy AI. I'm getting tired of gunning down hundreds of dumb cannon fodder all the time, I'd rather face a handful of enemies that communicated with each other, flanked, and used cover intelligently (i.e. didn't pop their heads up in the same spot over and over). Wishful thinking I know but I think it would make the gameplay less at odds with the narrative.

Dabanton

While we're giving feedback I'd like it if Rockstar dropped enemy count and instead improved enemy AI. I'm getting tired of gunning down hundreds of dumb cannon fodder all the time, I'd rather face a handful of enemies that communicated with each other, flanked, and used cover intelligently (i.e. didn't pop their heads up in the same spot over and over). Wishful thinking I know but I think it would make the gameplay less at odds with the narrative.

Max Payne 3 is doing stuff like this enemies will attempt to flank the player intelligently and pressure you with how R* works this gen lets hope that kind of thing is in GTAV

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No. They didn't.

I will never understand the complaints about the car handling in GTA4. It's different from the previous games, but it's far more realistic. It made you think about the physics of things more and plan your turns better. Would I want it in something like Saints Row? No, but for what they were trying to do in GTA4, it was the perfect system, IMO.

i'm playing Lost and Damned now and the car/bike handling does need improvement. I don't remember having a prob with it in GTA4 but i'm having trouble in Lost and Damned. its not so much turn or pressing (A) for hand break at the right moment but the fact that the camera doesn't move around, so you can't see whats ahead of you when you turn. and some cars just spin too much with the hand break.

still mad excited for GTA V though :D just bring back planes, jet packs, tanks and the like. and more mission variety.

mmmm someone from a dutch forum reminded us that a lot of dutch magazines and websites like to april fools jokes about gaming.
So this could be a joke, just a heads up.

They have to show, and expertly detail alot for me to regain any trust in this brand, but who am I? I am a pebble, made of marl, fighting against endless hordes and shills that feed the hype beast.

I want a larger city, but not in scope. When I say larger I don't mean GTA:SA or even GTA4. I want a Vice City sized map, but double layered.

I want every single last building and room to be able to be entered by the player. I see no point of a massive expansive void. I don't care about forests if I can't climb trees, I don't care about crops and crop dusting unless I can be a producer, I don't care about oil fields if I can't work as a miner and go down and check for oil. I don't care about beaches unless there is a body boarding mini-game or I can go rent scuba gear and take pics. I don't care about Hills, Valleys and none of that vacuous garbage that does nothing to the game-play at all. I prefer a small compact, double layered city, with tons of mini-games, diversions, stores, facilities. The point of making it "big" has passed when that "big" contains nothing for the player to meaningfully engage himself. That bullet point is meaningless to me now.

I want a larger city, but not in scope. When I say larger I don't mean GTA:SA or even GTA4. I want a Vice City sized map, but double layered.
Eh. I want a smaller city with more to do and more functionality.

With more enterable buildings, after a point it's diminishing returns and there's no point/functionality of doing so.
Maybe next gen when we see BG&E2 chases through villas and stuff like that but not on this hardware.

Eh. I want a smaller city with more to do and more functionality.

With more enterable buildings, after a point it's diminishing returns and there's no point/functionality of doing so.
Maybe next gen when we see BG&E2 chases through villas and stuff like that but not on this hardware.

Not if it allows me to do home invasions of a couple in a high rise condo, cap the guy, tie up the woman, open the sky-line door, kick down the umbrella table and roll her off the 125 storie balcony and jump after her to see how she lands.

Not if it allows me to do home invasions of a couple in a high rise condo, cap the guy, tie up the woman, open the sky-line door, kick down the umbrella table and roll her off the 125 storie balcony and jump after her to see how she lands.
It sounds nice but stuff like that could never be done "normally" through AI, it'd have to be mission based.

The home invasions in SA outside of that mission with Ryder were glorified stickups.

i'm playing Lost and Damned now and the car/bike handling does need improvement.

Didn't they tweak the bike/car handling for TLAD? I have this memory of reading that they made bikes much more reliable and difficult to crash, and made the cars less responsive. The point being that Klebitz rides and drives like a biker would.

Didn't they tweak the bike/car handling for TLAD? I have this memory of reading that they made bikes much more reliable and difficult to crash, and made the cars less responsive. The point being that Klebitz rides and drives like a biker would.

On the Bike, Choppers especially its almost impossible for him to fall off.

arab

IV was a step in the wrong direction, without a doubt. V needs to return the series back to silliness

IV was a step in the wrong direction, without a doubt. V needs to return the series back to silliness

No it doesn't. It can still be deadly serious. They just need to create a ton of things to engage the player outside of missions. IV was crap, because everthing was poor. Characters, story, pacing, game-play, missions and structure.

Also. NO MORE PACKAGE, SEAGULS ETC. ETC. Stop this lazy collectathon bullshit.

I hope it's not too late to implement Max Payne 3's shooting system, it looks quite nice from what I can tell from the videos and the shooting gameplay has always been the GTA series's weak spot.

Facism

If there is one thing that they can do to improve upon GTA4, it is to ditch Gamespy for their multiplayer. 2 cans and a bit of string does better networking than gamespy.

Zwei

I'm kind of 50/50 on GTA 4. It definitely isn't terrible, but it's not as good as the PS2 entries, either.

Top Bottom