• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Interesting...

14 year old "enhanced" port of a game causes people to freak out and plan on buying a $500+ device in which to play it on. Mind blown.

Interesting...

14 year old "enhanced" port of a game causes people to freak out and plan on buying a $500+ device in which to play it on. Mind blown.

Or like millions of others, already have an ipad and am interested to play an enhanced version of perhaps the greatest game ever on a mobile device.

How is that an issue?

Kintaro

Or like millions of others, already have an ipad and am interested to play an enhanced version of perhaps the greatest game ever on a mobile device.

How is that an issue?

Who is taking issue with anything? I said it was interesting. Also, I didn't refer to those who own it. I referred to those in this very same thread who stated they would buy an ipad in order to play this game.

Ledsen

Post-PC world eh? Lol.

More 10-15 year old ports is just what a new platform needs to become the future it's hyped as. What would you port from if iOS was all there is? Anyway, I guess I'd get it if it wasn't bound to be a few GB in size (alongside the sequel) given the gimped capacity iOS devices have with their absurd pricing and I didn't already own the IE games 2-4 times.

Lol.

I guess you mean iPhone. iPad isn't overpriced.

Who is taking issue with anything? I said it was interesting. Also, I didn't refer to those who own it. I referred to those in this very same thread who stated they would buy an ipad in order to play this game.

You had a go at the age of the game, the cost of the ipad and it's status as 'enhanced'.

From my point of view it is a game that has stood up well, on a great gaming platform that will hopefully have some needed tweaks and a bit of extra content.

Wanting to pay money for that is not something to be mocked especially on a gaming forum like this.

Kintaro

You had a go at the age of the game, the cost of the ipad and it's status as 'enhanced'.

From my point of view it is a game that has stood up well, on a great gaming platform that will hopefully have some needed tweaks and a bit of extra content.

Wanting to pay money for that is not something to be mocked.

The game IS old, the iPad IS $500, and it IS "enhanced." I just found it interesting that it isn't the myriad of other games on the platform that gets some people to jump to buy an iPad, it is THIS one. It struck me as interesting fter the many years it has been available.

If that insulted you, I suggest getting over it. I would say the same thing if someone bought a PlayStation 3 because Simpsons: The Arcade Game was released on PSN.

aka "Huh....interesting."

The game IS old, the iPad IS $500, and it IS "enhanced." I just found it interesting that it isn't the myriad of other games on the platform that gets some people to jump to buy an iPad, it is THIS one. It struck me as interesting fter the many years it has been available.

If that insulted you, I suggest getting over it. I would say the same thing if someone bought a PlayStation 3 because Simpsons: The Arcade Game was released on PSN.

The simpsons arcade is a poor comparison unless you consider it one of the greatest games of all time. You got called out making an anti-ipad post and you know it. Need to get with the times rather then getting angry and taking frustrated shots from the side-line.

Sloane

Banned
I just found it interesting that it isn't the myriad of other games on the platform that gets some people to jump to buy an iPad, it is THIS one. It struck me as interesting fter the many years it has been available.
Probably says as much about the quality of the myriad of other games on the platform as about the quality of Baldur's Gate.

Haunted

Interesting...

To be fair, I've mostly seen existing iPad owners getting excited (and that's totally fair).

People wanting to get an iPad specifically for this game must be desperately looking for reasons to justify that big a purchase to themselves, imo.

Sloane

Banned
People wanting to get an iPad specifically for this game must be desperately looking for reasons to justify that big a purchase to themselves, imo.
Yeah, also this happens in almost every thread about some "big" game announcement: "I'll by platform X just for that!" Probably have written it myself once.

Ledsen

ummm yes, yes it is. All Apple products are grossly overpriced, you have to be riding Apple hard to think they aren't.

Like Billychu said, you have to be pretty ignorant about the tablet market to think they are. iPad is probably the only reasonably priced Apple product, but that doesn't mean it should get lumped in with the rest.

Minsc

Gold Member
I still don't get it. BG2 runs since 2010 on android and iOS, thanks to GemRB.
Maybe the controls are "nicer"... mh.

How's GemRB handle multiplayer on the iPad? How's it run without jailbreaking? How does it run on 1st generation devices? Does it setup with a single tap on the screen? These are not minor details for people.

Does GemRB support a pinch to zoom control scheme? That's a pretty big deal for a tablet.

Interesting...

It's 2 games (BG2:EE), and the possible of more (IWD, Torment, who knows), along with the possibility of Baldur's Gate 3 (said to be on iPad as well). And they're all staples of PC gaming RPGs. It's not surprising at all. You act like you've never seen people say they would buy a system for a game! Well maybe not as likely to be a port, but I don't think it's that strange. I mainly bought a PSP for the port of Tactics Ogre... and an iPad would offer much more use to a lot of people outside of gaming than a PSP/handheld.

OMG!! Didn't realize this was coming to iPad, and it looks like og graphics confirmed. If they're worried about a control scheme, they should check out Avadon.

spirity

2Pk0r.jpg

Now I'm worried about my eyes. I wouldn't be able to read the text if it were resting on my knee like that. Please someone tell me this is just a "lol check out how relaxed i can get while playing" mock up :/

Was considering an ipad, this won't be what convinces me but its certainly enticing. With a pretty recent pc upgrade its hard to justify the expenditure but its great this game is going to reach new players.

Minsc

Gold Member
Now I'm worried about my eyes. I wouldn't be able to read the text if it were resting on my knee like that. Please someone tell me this is just a "lol check out how relaxed i can get while playing" mock up :/

The chapter introductions are narrated :)
but the text size may still be too small to play at that distance

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's 2 games (BG2:EE), and the possible of more (IWD, Torment, who knows), along with the possibility of Baldur's Gate 3 (said to be on iPad as well). And they're all staples of PC gaming RPGs. It's not surprising at all. You act like you've never seen people say they would buy a system for a game! Well maybe not as likely to be a port, but I don't think it's that strange. I mainly bought a PSP for the port of Tactics Ogre... and an iPad would offer much more use to a lot of people outside of gaming than a PSP/handheld.

It's often a case of the straw breaking the camel's back. Like you kind of want a device but it's lacking that certain something. Baldur's Gate series is a big deal for a lot of gamers, big enough to be that certain something that can tip someone over from a maybe to a yes.

I bought my PSP for ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3, PowerStone and OutRun 2006 so I'm not one to judge people harshly for buying something to play ports.

spirity

The chapter introductions are narrated :)
but the text size may still be too small to play at that distance

Ah, cool. I couldn't remember if that was a feature of the original game.

Related, the irony of discussing the topic of "eyes" with you Minsc is not lost on me :)

RickA238

This will be incredible. So glad I bought an iPad 3; gaming device of the future and the now! F' those one-trick pony gaming candy bars.

PLEASE support multi-touch!

Sentenza

I really don't give a damn about the iPad version, but I'm really wondering when they will finally show some proper screenshot to see those supposed improvements.

Was considering an ipad, this won't be what convinces me but its certainly enticing. With a pretty recent pc upgrade its hard to justify the expenditure but its great this game is going to reach new players.

If I remember well in the IGN article they said are currently working on tablet UI, so maybe those pic is just to show Baldur's Gate working on iPad, mayber is only a bunch of mockups of the pc version.

Mitama

The NPCs/quest/restoration mods always struck me as pretty rubbish and amateur when I tried them. IIRC the banter pack is fan dialogue too? Which is also not interesting to me. Dungeon Be Gone is straight up skipping content; hard to argue for this being the 'definitive version.' Fixpack, Widescreen and TUTU are all covered by the EE and are just tweaks.

So that leaves us with Ascension and Tactics. Ascension is pretty great and they've talked about maybe incorporating it into EE. Tactics is a matter of personal preference but it's not my thing.

I can understand that you like these things a lot more than I do, but I think it's pretty hard to make the case that these mods constitute an obviously superior version that people would be crazy not to play. The core gameplay, story and etc. from the original game is so much more important to the experience.

Personally, I just found most of the mods for BGII to be invasive and annoying rather than adding quality content. Only the various tweaks/fixes have ever had a lot of value to me.

Totally agree with this. The only mods that I find necessary are the fixes and widescreen support. For Baldur's Gate, I don't even find TuTu a necessity to really enjoy the game (having a log for quests and seperation between finished/unfinished quests sure is nice though). There's also lots of mods that I consider cheating, like the previously mentioned "infinite stacking" and all the mods that ease the D&D rules, add overpowered items, remove the level cap and so on. I've only started playing these games recently so I'm not a purist by all means but I just dislike unofficial content.

Cheebo

Banned
ummm yes, yes it is. All Apple products are grossly overpriced, you have to be riding Apple hard to think they aren't.

Every other similiar high-end tablet is priced the same if not more than the iPad.

Bring an ipad down to kindle price levels and I might consider it.

Posts like this make no sense, iPad does literally thousands of things more than a Kindle Fire ever could with far far far better specs. It's literally a handheld computer. Why in the world should it be priced on the same level as a low-end media player.

ntropy

because it's a great game - keyword: great.

Tess3ract

Banned
But it's already cheap for the tablet market..
The tablet market in general is for people with too much money or with poor spending habits.

it's not really affordable. Why the fuck would I pay 500+ for a tablet when I can get a laptop for a hundred dollars more that can do more than the ipad can?

Cheebo

Banned
The tablet market in general is for people with too much money or with poor spending habits.

it's not really affordable. Why the fuck would I pay 500+ for a tablet when I can get a laptop for a hundred dollars more that can do more than the ipad can?

A lot of people who arent tech savvy would easily be better off with a tablet than a laptop for most of the functions they use a computer for (social networking, internet browsing, & e-mail). Which is the case, I see older like 65+ aged people go with iPad's over computers since they are way easier to use for the functions they need a computer for.

I mean it already outsells the entire desktop market and is on pace to top the laptop market in just a few years, if tablets were only for people with too much money that wouldn't be the case.

Mitama

A lot of people who arent tech savvy would easily be better off with a tablet than a laptop for most of the functions they use a computer for (social networking, internet browsing, & e-mail). Which is the case, I see older like 65+ aged people go with iPad's over computers since they are way easier to use for the functions they need a computer for.

I mean it already outsells the entire desktop market and is on pace to top the laptop market in just a few years, if tablets were only for people with too much money that wouldn't be the case.

For younger people (s)he's right though, tablets are nothing more than a luxury product. While I love my iPad, I probably wouldn't have bought one if I didn't have some money lying around.

It's more strange than a console port because in those cases the ability to get and play a game like Tactics Ogre required buying a piece of hardware no matter what you wanted to play it on, even if it was an old used PSX, whereas anyone posting in this thread can go to GoG right this moment and buy and play the games sans "enhanced" (but with the mods that will likely be the same in function).

Tess3ract

Banned
Pretty much everyone I've talked to who was around my age who has a desktop has built it themselves, so that probably also skews the results.

Kintaro

The simpsons arcade is a poor comparison unless you consider it one of the greatest games of all time. You got called out making an anti-ipad post and you know it. Need to get with the times rather then getting angry and taking frustrated shots from the side-line.

Simpsons arcade is considered by a lot of people as one of the greatest arcade beat em ups. Not a poor comparison.

I didn't get "called out" for shit except those who are a bit too hypersensitive over a device.

Also, I have an iPad. Had one for years. I "got with the times." I was with the times 14 years ago when I originally played BG. =)

Haunted

Trying to call out Kintaro is foolish, the guy is rock sol- wait you said WHAT about Simpsons Arcade?

Game over man, game over.

RooMHM

We've reached a new down in the video game history. Advertisement is made for iPad and games too. I knew this remake was gonna be awful.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I hope that you can still import your characters from BG1 into BG2 on the iPad version

Though I might just buy the PC version? Is it going to be on OS X too?

You buy a tablet over a laptop because you value the smaller form factor and convenience over the added capabilities of a laptop. It depends on your preferences, needs and wants. For me personally, I used to have a laptop and a desktop that I built for gaming. Now I have my tablet and the desktop and I no longer have a desire for a laptop. I use the desktop for heavy computing and gaming and the tablet for just about everything else. It is a luxury item, for sure, just like game consoles and gaming PCs are luxury items but there are reason to pick one over a laptop. It just depends on what your looking for.

Didn't expect this to turn into an iPad hate thread, which is sad. Still bummed that it won't be on my Fire (at least I don't think it will).

Not complaining though. It's not as though I haven't played/finished the game before.

Kintaro

Trying to call out Kintaro is foolish, the guy is rock sol- wait you said WHAT about Simpsons Arcade?

Game over man, game over.

*I* didn't say it. lol My pick goes to other beat em ups (where is my fucking Aliens vs. Predator and D&D games?!). Some people do think so though.

Just like BG isn't close to as good as BG2 or Torment. =)

Minsc

Gold Member
We've reached a new down in the video game history. Advertisement is made for iPad and games too. I knew this remake was gonna be awful.

I'm not even sure what this post means at all. Are you upset that other people who don't game on PCs can play this game?

I hope that you can still import your characters from BG1 into BG2 on the iPad version

Though I might just buy the PC version? Is it going to be on OS X too?

Yes, importing from BG1:EE to BG2:EE is going to be allowed, and they also said they are hoping to keep imports from the original, non-EE, games possible too.

What is enhanced in the PC version? Looks like the gog version with the mods.

So far we have been told there is new content (optional), new NPC w/ VA, it comes already updated to Throne of Bhall codebase, fixed multiplayer, better widescreen support (than the widescreen mod). Not a whole lot different, but in some ways, that's for the best. :)

Also where are the PC screen shots?

"@TrentOster: We won't be doing a trailer for a while. Screenshots aren't coming for a while either"

Top Bottom