• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cyan
Purple Drazi
(04-03-2012, 05:39 AM)
Did we seriously just spend three pages arguing about the state of dragon knowledge? Nobody knows about the damn dragons. Nobody could possibly know, they're wandering in the middle of a goddamn desert FFS.

How did this even come up?
UrbanRats
(04-03-2012, 05:40 AM)
Saw it yesterday and this first episode was interesting, but it was also a tad confusing.
It seemed all more of a "let's quickly put all the pieces in place, so we can start the season".
The ending was fuckawesome though; damn that kid's gonna burn through people's patience, very fast.
_Isaac
(04-03-2012, 05:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Cyan

Did we seriously just spend three pages arguing about the state of dragon knowledge? Nobody knows about the damn dragons. Nobody could possibly know, they're wandering in the middle of a goddamn desert FFS.

How did this even come up?

It's all part of the fun.
Ohwiseone
(04-03-2012, 05:51 AM)
Just watched 2x01 Finally.

Fantastic Episode, I loved it.

I fucking hate Joffery, So. Damn. Much.

I am in again like the 1st season, Shit is still good.
kame-sennin
(04-03-2012, 05:57 AM)
The Lannisters are really fucked. I don't see any political or military solution to their problems.
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(04-03-2012, 06:01 AM)
Very good premiere, although I can't remember how Stannis Baratheon knows about Joffrey's shit already.
kame-sennin
(04-03-2012, 06:03 AM)

Originally Posted by SpeedingUptoStop

Very good premiere, although I can't remember how Stannis Baratheon knows about Joffrey's shit already.

Ned sent a messenger to deliver the message personally.
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(04-03-2012, 06:03 AM)

Originally Posted by SpeedingUptoStop

Ned sent him a letter during his Too Dumb To Live 2011 Tour.
nitric0
(04-03-2012, 06:08 AM)
Apparently episode 2 is up on HBOGO?
Rimfya
(04-03-2012, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by nitric0

Apparently episode 2 is up on HBOGO?

Weird right? Looking for it now.
rar
(04-03-2012, 06:15 AM)
are we allowed to talk about stuff from the first book, like details that weren't brought up in the show? or are we just pretending they don't exist at all? i've only read the first book, and i'm not reading the second one until i've seen this whole season
JGS
Banned
(04-03-2012, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by walbertsmith

Yeah, that's exactly my point. She also mentions how the comet portends victory for the Starks... also victory for the Lannisters. It's funny how you are so adamant that the comet means dragons despite the fact that the person saying it offers multiple reasons for what it could mean. That was the point of the entire scene.

I'm not really adamant about anything. Osha discusses what other people say and then she says it means dragons.

That's the extent of the script.

Who knows. Maybe Bran's right and she's wrong and it doesn't mean dragons...

You win.
Pkaz01
(04-03-2012, 06:17 AM)
its only up for some select European countries that are getting HBO for the first time and getting it as a special promotion.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(04-03-2012, 06:21 AM)

Originally Posted by rar

are we allowed to talk about stuff from the first book, like details that weren't brought up in the show?

Nope.
Vespene
(04-03-2012, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by kame-sennin

The Lannisters are really fucked. I don't see any political or military solution to their problems.

One thing about the overall story is that there is no solution to anything, which is why we're in book 5 with no end in sight.
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(04-03-2012, 06:30 AM)

Ned sent him a letter during his Too Dumb To Live 2011 Tour.

Ah that's right. Excellent farewell tour name, too.
Yaboosh
(04-03-2012, 06:30 AM)

Originally Posted by GT Vespene

One thing about the overall story is that there is no solution to anything, which is why we're in book 5 with no end in sight.

What books? Why do people not understand the purpose of this thread? The books do not exist, why even bring them up?
_Isaac
(04-03-2012, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Yaboosh

What books? Why do people not understand the purpose of this thread? The books do not exist, why even bring them up?

We should have a vote again.
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(04-03-2012, 07:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Yaboosh

Urgh, are we seriously doing this shit again? I realize it's a sharp and slippery slope from "books exist" to "the comet dies in episode 9," but holy fracking overreactions, Batman. Can we save the complaining for, you know, actual spoilers?

The OP lists some common sense guidelines. It's not that hard to avoid spoilers without going insanely overboard.
Last edited by Cyan; 04-03-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(04-03-2012, 07:21 AM)

Urgh, are we seriously doing this shit again? I realize it's a sharp and slippery slope from "books exist" to "the comet dies in episode 9," but holy fracking overreactions, Batman. Can we save the complaining for, you know, actual spoilers?

The OP lists some common sense guidelines. It's not that hard to avoid spoilers without going insanely overboard.

I think it's just that certain potential storylines or possibilities could no longer be possible with even a small hint at what future books entail. Given what some people think is going to happen in season 2, a comment like that one up there could potentially ruin it by confirming the end of, or continuation of, a particular plotline. I think the main thing is to just continue the theme that the books don't exist here. It works well enough as a rule. For everything else, just go to the other thread.
Last edited by Rentahamster; 04-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
kame-sennin
(04-03-2012, 07:21 AM)
GT Vespene, what I meant was that there seems to be no way for the Lannisters to win. Rob has a clear path to victory. All he has to do is keep winning battles or take Kings Landing, and the Lannisters will be forced to agree to his terms. Renly has control of the south, and with the Lannisters distracted, he can also try and take Kings Landing and end the war. Stannis has more of an uphill battle, but he also has the advantage of being able to chose his opponents. The Lannisters don't have that advantage. They are going to be fighting a war on two or three fronts. And because Ned Stark is dead, they have no opportunity to end the fighting through negotiation. They also won't be able to talk things over with Stannis or Renly as both men believe they have a stronger claim to the throne than Joffrey.

Originally Posted by _Isaac

We should have a vote again.

What's the point of having a vote when there are two threads? Whatever your preference is, there's a thread that caters to you.
UrbanRats
(04-03-2012, 07:32 AM)
Wait, wasn't Renly Baratheon in King's Landing? He's against Joffrey now, so i assume he isn't anymore? I might've forgotten a few details from S1. :\
_Isaac
(04-03-2012, 07:34 AM)

Originally Posted by kame-sennin

What's the point of having a vote when there are two threads? Whatever your preference is, there's a thread that caters to you.

What does that have to do with voting?
GCX
(04-03-2012, 07:36 AM)
Edit: nvm
Last edited by GCX; 04-03-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Sir Fragula
(04-03-2012, 07:38 AM)

Originally Posted by UrbanRats

Wait, wasn't Renly Baratheon in King's Landing? He's against Joffrey now, so i assume he isn't anymore? I might've forgotten a few details from S1. :\

He fled the city after Ned declined his offer of help against Cersei.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(04-03-2012, 07:41 AM)

Originally Posted by _Isaac

What does that have to do with voting?

I think they had a vote in the season 1 thread about whether or not to allow spoiler tagged spoilers, or to just pretend that the books don't exist.

Originally Posted by GCX

He was just a visiting the tournament.

Renly was on the small council with Ned, Littlefinger, Varys, and Pycelle. After Robert died, he had a scene with Ned where he asked Ned to get 100 men and take control of the throne. Ned refused, so Renly, having the sense to know that he would be in danger, ran away.
UrbanRats
(04-03-2012, 07:48 AM)

Originally Posted by GCX

Edit: nvm

Originally Posted by Sir Fragula

He fled the city after Ned declined his offer of help against Cersei.

Ah, ok.
Makes sense now.
EDIT:

Originally Posted by Rentahamster

Renly was on the small council with Ned, Littlefinger, Varys, and Pycelle. After Robert died, he had a scene with Ned where he asked Ned to get 100 men and take control of the throne. Ned refused, so Renly, having the sense to know that he would be in danger, ran away.

Damn, i don't remember this scene at all.
I should've watched the first season again, before starting the new one.
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(04-03-2012, 07:52 AM)

I think they had a vote in the season 1 thread about whether or not to allow spoiler tagged spoilers, or to just pretend that the books don't exist.

It wasn't even that. It was whether stuff like clarifications of events in the show should be allowed, or whether the thread should be purged in the hellish flames of a dragon's belly and any mention of the mere existence of paper and ink be excised.

A bunch of people popped in to vote for the latter, then never posted in the thread again.
Ex Nihilo
(04-03-2012, 08:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Arjen

Was hard for me to watch to, accent is cringeworthy.

Well Melisandre does have a foreign accent. But that accent is supposed to sound exotic and i cant say that of Carice's accent. But im fine with it, it doesnt bother me greatly.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(04-03-2012, 08:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Soule

I love the music at the end of the episode, it's so very fitting.

I just realized that it was the "The King's Arrival" theme, but redone with a much more grim and menacing tone.
demolitio
(04-03-2012, 08:44 AM)
I'm going to be careful which GoT threads I enter on other sites now that the second episode has been leaked supposedly due to HBO GO Poland. So if you're waiting til' Sunday like me and don't want to be spoiled, be careful which threads you go into if other sites don't have rules like this thread. I'm now paranoid after having two big plot points spoiled for me.

I bet you Joffrey loves spoiling shit for people too. That bastard...
Paradoxal_Utopia
Banned
(04-03-2012, 08:49 AM)
Just watched episode 2. Did not fucking disappoint. Enjoyed is much more than the 1st. Ton of awesome, powerful moments, and shit is really going to start to hit the fan. This is a dark, dark story with viciously brutal characters, and this ep reminded me of that. Tis season will be immensely epic, I can feel it. And now I have to wait 2 weeks for a new ep.. Fuck.
Moaradin
(04-03-2012, 08:50 AM)
Episode 2 was pretty good. You can tell shit is about to go down.
Soule
(04-03-2012, 08:57 AM)

I just realized that it was the "The King's Arrival" theme, but redone with a much more grim and menacing tone.

Originally Posted by Cipherr

Yeah that sounds like a variation on a song they used last season. It was fantastic.

This I did not notice, so awesome. Think I might rewatch some of season 1 just to refresh myself with it again and to crank my hype up some more.
Tence
(04-03-2012, 09:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Arjen

Was hard for me to watch to, accent is cringeworthy.

It was. But appearantly only for us Dutchies ;)
We hear the Dutch ringing through her words, the rest of the world just hears some 'excotic' accent.

If she was played by a Swedish actress, it would probably be the Swedes complaining.
Micerider
(04-03-2012, 09:25 AM)
Wait, I am missing something here, some are reffering to ep 2 already? Where to? HBO Go?
Basileus777
(04-03-2012, 09:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Micerider

Wait, I am missing something here, some are reffering to ep 2 already? Where to? HBO Go?

For some Euros it's up on HBO Go.
Micerider
(04-03-2012, 09:28 AM)
Damn, why do I have to work ? :(
UrbanRats
(04-03-2012, 09:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Basileus777

For some Euros it's up on HBO Go.

It's only available in the US, it seems.
robertsan21
#1 fly (for a white guy) fisher
(04-03-2012, 10:31 AM)
saw that a webrip is up, beware of ep 2 spoilers in here guys.

what I have heard is that it might be like this all season...
Funky Papa
FUNK-Y-PPA-4
(04-03-2012, 10:34 AM)
Yeah, YouTube assholes are in full force. Ignore the comments on any GoT video.
Dresden
on the run
(04-03-2012, 10:41 AM)

Originally Posted by UrbanRats

It's only available in the US, it seems.

Didn't see it on mine . . .
robertsan21
#1 fly (for a white guy) fisher
(04-03-2012, 10:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Dresden

Didn't see it on mine . . .

I think its only Europe...
UrbanRats
(04-03-2012, 10:53 AM)
If i go to HBOGO.com, they tell me the service is only available within the 50 states of the US, so i don't know.
Where should i look?
Bo-Locks
(04-03-2012, 11:16 AM)
If they're smart, the Lannisters should just accept Robbs proposal. The North is a supposed waste ground anyway, seceding it would create friction between the North and the Iron Islands, they would have to deal with the inevitable shitstorm from North of the Wall, and they could easily conquer Renly's and Stannis' armies. They still have Sansa so there is still a chance of joining the houses in the future. There really isn't a reason not to accept or at least negotiate, other than pride of course.
Micerider
(04-03-2012, 11:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Bo-Locks

If they're smart, the Lannisters should just accept Robbs proposal. The North is a supposed waste ground anyway, seceding it would create friction between the North and the Iron Islands, they would have to deal with the inevitable shitstorm from North of the Wall, and they could easily conquer Renly's and Stannis' armies. They still have Sansa so there is still a chance of joining the houses in the future. There really isn't a reason not to accept or at least negotiate, other than pride of course.

It seems that Lannisters do not give a sh*t about what is happening up the Wall, they do not even seem to really realize what might be happening there.

Beside, allowing ONE kingdom to seggregate is a clear invitation to invite ALL kingdoms to seggregate and make their own claim.

They don't have a choice but to REFUSE Robb's offer, even Robb knows it.
HolyCheck
(04-03-2012, 12:21 PM)

It seems that Lannisters do not give a sh*t about what is happening up the Wall, they do not even seem to really realize what might be happening there.

Beside, allowing ONE kingdom to seggregate is a clear invitation to invite ALL kingdoms to seggregate and make their own claim.

They don't have a choice but to REFUSE Robb's offer, even Robb knows it.

they're so blind to it all it angers me!!
Micerider
(04-03-2012, 12:28 PM)

Originally Posted by HolyCheck

they're so blind to it all it angers me!!

It's even more surprising that Mance Rayder seems to have managed to gather an army of several dozen thousands beyond the wall with very few "leaks".

Aside some very vague references to it from Orsha (Ocha...well, can't remember her exact name, the wildling that is now serving Bran) and now the "out loud" confirmation from Crasper in this episode, it seems that everyone, including the Night Watch has been blind.

I was making theories (I have not read the books beyond the first one so it's purely speculations and absolutely spoiler-free) regarding Benjen Stark and I have a suspicion that he might have just joined Mance Rayder because he has discovered the reason for his "gathering" (the White Walkers?) and is willing to stand by him as the only "force" that could withstand their assault.

I even went as far as the giant "Shiamalanclap" : Mance Rayder IS Benjen Stark (yeah...far fetched, but that would be a twist :p ).
Last edited by Micerider; 04-03-2012 at 12:31 PM.
HolyCheck
(04-03-2012, 12:37 PM)

It's even more surprising that Mance Rayder seems to have managed to gather an army of several dozen thousands beyond the wall with very few "leaks".

Aside some very vague references to it from Orsha (Ocha...well, can't remember her exact name, the wildling that is now serving Bran) and now the "out loud" confirmation from Crasper in this episode, it seems that everyone, including the Night Watch has been blind.

I was making theories (I have not read the books beyond the first one so it's purely speculations and absolutely spoiler-free) regarding Benjen Stark and I have a suspicion that he might have just joined Mance Rayder because he has discovered the reason for his "gathering" (the White Walkers?) and is willing to stand by him as the only "force" that could withstand their assault.

I even went as far as the giant "Shiamalanclap" : Mance Rayder IS Benjen Stark (yeah...far fetched, but that would be a twist :p ).

Yes, I got the feeling in season 1 that there isnt much beyond the wall, so I can imagine they wouldnt know about things past it. But season 2 seems to be painting the picture that there are lots of cities and towns north of the wall. surely the riders such as benjen would have caught wind of such a large army in their travels?
Keasar
(04-03-2012, 12:40 PM)
Everytime Peter Dinklage enters the scene I wish there was one of those comedy show crowd cheers. :P

Tyrion Lannister remains my absolute favourite character.