• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DD Fraud: Sony is Embezzling 2 Games from Me (Everybody's Tennis/Motorstor:AE)

kadotsu

Banned
A year ago I bought a cheap PSP go to get the 10 free DD game associated with a purchase. One of the games included in this deal was Motorstor:AE. A few weeks ago Sony, without any warning, removed the title from the store and my PSN(SEN) download list. I don't know why and, to be honest, I didn't care all that much. It was "free" after all.

But now Sony did the same with Everybody's Tennis a game that I paid €24.95 for. No refund, no Email, no explanation, nothing. What the fuck is Sony thinking? I called the helpline (Germany) and got the "We're sorry but we can't help you right now" BS line. Does someone know a way to resolve the issue? Do I have any right to get my property back?

I hope Sony resolves this issue quick. Right now I will stop any SEN purchases. This is ridiculous. Yay, DD future.

desu

I guess you missed that those titles allowed exploits? Not an excuse but just to inform you why they have been removed.

What does that particular golf game's EULA say about it being your property? And I'm not trying to be a douchebag, because it's crucial.

scy

Well, if they never go back up again then there's something to this. As mentioned though, they both had exploit loopholes in them, hence their quick removal. We'll see, I guess?

MrPliskin

Banned
But just think of all the emulators you could be using! Surely that cause was worth you losing this game, right?

Fuck homebrew, fuck Sony. No one wins.

Do I have any right to get my property back?
what property? what precisely did you own? the game's source code? you owned a license to play the game at sony's discretion. sony's discretion is such that nobody should be playing those games because of exploits.

the title of this thread is absolutely laughable.

snap0212

At this point, I kind of wish the hackers would just start trolling Sony by posting an endless list of games that allow exploits.
What does that particular golf game's EULA say about it being your property? And I'm not trying to be a douchebag, because it's crucial.
Doesn't matter. It's gone from the PAL Store as well and the game's EULA doesn't mean anything over here.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
At this point, I kind of wish the hackers would just start trolling Sony by posting an endless list of games that allow exploits.

It'd be evil, but I wonder if someone could make a fake list of games and Sony would take them down even if it was false

Salvadora

what property? what precisely did you own? the game's source code? you owned a license to play the game at sony's discretion. sony's discretion is such that nobody should be playing those games because of exploits.

Wow.

Truth101

Banned

And can of worms open.

Ponn

Banned
Haven't you heard? You don't really own the disc or software you buy silly goose, you are just leasing it. And your lease was up.

Do I have any right to get my property back?
karairindool9.gif

Blue Submarine (i believe it was him) is in same boat as you and emailed them and received a pretty useless email back.....dunno what the outcome was/will be but im kinda interested in how this pans out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rabbitwork is pretty harsh but I bet it's not far from the truth. Hope everyone is embraced for the digital future

my property
I feel your pain and I totally agree with your outrage.

With that said though,

I don't want to be that guy here, but technically you paid for a license to play those games. Sony (and many other companies) have clauses basically saying you don't own anything and that they can revoke any digital content at any time.

It's messed up. Hopefully you will be reimbursed some how.

Derrick01

Banned
I keep wondering why I'm buying DD games on PSN when I keep hearing about stuff like this and the mere rumor that there may not be any backwards compatibility in ps4. I'd be furious if a company took what I paid for without at least refunding me the full amount I paid.

Are you Jack Tretton?

MrPliskin

Banned
Still blown away that no one is upset with the pompous kid who made all this happen...because he wanted homebrew?

I'm sure he had a LONG line of *awesome* software planned for us all. Can't these kids just remain the attention starved shit heads they have always been, instead of challenging Sony at OUR expense?

scy

And here we go.

I agree, logically. Not that I like it but ...

Theonik

Well excuuuuuuse me princess.

I can only guess that you're a game developer, as no rational human being would agree with that rant.

But just think of all the emulators you could be using! Surely that cause was worth you losing this game, right?

Fuck homebrew, fuck Sony. No one wins.

I couldn't disagree more. Sony chooses to handle things this way and sees depriving people of a game they paid for as an acceptable behavior.

Homebrew didn't take these games away, Sony did.

Hopefully, they'll refund people and that will be that but not saying a thing about it is already a very shitty thing to do.

FWIW, I think Apple does the same thing with apps.

EULA doesn't mean shit if it's not within the broader and trumping European Union law. I'm not a lawyer but I'll take a guess that if Sony doesn't replace the game soon there is grounds for a class action lawsuit against Sony for removing access to games.

People act like just because it's written in fancy legal babble that it's the law.

Sony GAF stay classy.

I can only guess that you're a game developer, as no rational human being would agree with that rant.

Never heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

OP may be in Europe, EULA's aren't necessarily binding over here.

kadotsu

Banned
Still blown away that no one is upset with the pompous kid who made all this happen...because he wanted homebrew?

I'm sure he had a LONG line of *awesome* software planned for us all. Can't these kids just remain the attention starved shit heads they have always been, instead of challenging Sony at OUR expense?

As a paying costumer I don't care about what made Sony do this. If you recall a product, even a (lol it's not really yours) software license you have to communicate the circumstances and an eta to resolve the issue (or even better refund).

Eusis

Well, if they're found this quickly/easily and taken down like this I think I'll stick with physical copies of Gungnir/Growlanser afterall. I'd like to play them on the Vita, but combining this with the fact I don't think Hakuoki is playable on the Vita STILL and it seems better to not bother with the PSN version except as a second cheap copy.
As a paying costumer I don't care about what made Sony do this. If you recall a product, even a (lol it's not really yours) software license you have to communicate the circumstances and an eta to resolve the issue (or even better refund).
Yeah, they should make it clear whether or not we can expect these games back up for purchase/download, and failing that give a refund, at least a partial one.

snap0212

Just checked Sony's ToS and they mention that they may not allow you to re-download content you've purchased. However, it's possible that someone has bought the game and was unable to download it. It says nothing about "Download it right away or you might not be able to use it".

Zomba13

EULA doesn't mean shit if it's not within the broader and trumping European Union law. I'm not a lawyer but I'll take a guess that if Sony doesn't replace the game soon there is grounds for a class action lawsuit against Sony for removing access to games.

People act like just because it's written in fancy legal babble that it's the law.

Sony GAF stay classy.

Ah but Sony also has a 'lol you cant sue us or take lega action against us :p' in their EULA now (I rmember that being a thing).

But yeah. This is utter bullshit though I bet sony won't do a fucking thing. You can call Customer Support all you like but they won't help you. They pretty much told me to deal with it when my PSN account was compromised and that if I went to my bank to get my money back they'd ban my account (and they did).

Mako_Drug

A year ago I bought a cheap PSP go to get the 10 free DD game associated with a purchase. One of the games included in this deal was Motorstor:AE. A few weeks ago Sony, without any warning, removed the title from the store and my PSN(SEN) download list. I don't know why and, to be honest, I didn't care all that much. It was "free" after all.

But now Sony did the same with Everybody's Tennis a game that I paid €24.95 for. No refund, no Email, no explanation, nothing. What the fuck is Sony thinking? I called the helpline (Germany) and got the "We're sorry but we can't help you right now" BS line. Does someone know a way to resolve the issue? Do I have any right to get my property back?

I hope Sony resolves this issue quick. Right now I will stop any SEN purchases. This is ridiculous. Yay, DD future.

If you buy something on the iTunes store and it is taken down and you do not have a copy stored locally it is lost forever. I imagine their is some clause in the EULA that you signed that acknowledges that in the event Sony or whatever publisher owns the right to the product you purchased or received decides to pull it you have no claim. Thems the breaks :(

Also the thread title is laughable.

Ah but Sony also has a 'lol you cant sue us or take lega action against us :p' in their EULA now (I rmember that being a thing).
That's in America, that shit is illegal in the UK according to what I read. And a fair guess would be Europe too.
Patrick Klepek said:
This does not apply worldwide. As pointed out in the Origin agreement, by legal precedent, Quebec, Russia, Switzerland and the Member States of the European Union (click here for a complete list of said states) users retain their rights.
Quote is for Origin but same shit different watering hole /ot

ITT:

People who hate dirty fucking pirates for stealing games from corporations but are fine with justified business interests removing games from paying consumers

Ponn

Banned
You don't have to agree with it, but that is te reality of the industry.
That's the problem with these statements, it's not. They just have not been tested thoroughly in a court system yet. Maybe someday real soon that will change.

DemonNite

I couldn't disagree more. Sony chooses to handle things this way and sees depriving people of a game they paid for as an acceptable behavior.

Homebrew didn't take these games away, Sony did.

Hopefully, they'll refund people and that will be that but not saying a thing about it is already a very shitty thing to do.

FWIW, I think Apple does the same thing with apps.

Not saying what Sony did here is right BUT....

Everyone knew what Sony would do when the title of the game was announced with the exploit, yet the homebrew is still released.

If another title is found with an exploit, no one can be surprised what Sony will do (Granted, that not everyone follows the news though).

Considering that we all know what Sony will do regarding games with exploits and it is unlikely that they will back down, someone (homebrew) will have to give or we will all suffer. Personally, I hope that the homebrew scene just backs off because its only hurting us gamers.

KevinCow

Banned
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital distribution, where companies have the power to take your games away for any reason they see fit and there's nothing you can do about it. Isn't it great?

That would require too much caring about your customers.

Top Bottom