• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

gunbo13

HAF2T.png

Devil May Cry: HD Collection
Playstation 3 / Xbox 360
JP March 22, 2012
NA April 3, 2012
EU April 3, 2012

dkv2R.png

Devil May Cry was an accident and a very welcome one. Hideki Kamiya and crew were assigned the next Resident Evil game (RE4 at the time) following the success of the series. “Team Little Devil” went to work but found their direction was ending up radically different in reference to the mechanics from the RE titles. A reported bug during development of Onimusha: Warlords where characters were juggling on hit has also been stated as the inspiration for DMC’s famous juggle mechanic. The team decided to take on the new direction and create DMC as opposed to what likely would have been the 4th entry in the RE franchise. The new development cycle resulted in a Playstation 2 release.

The fan forgettable Devil May Cry 2 released not long after without Hideki at the helm; replaced by Hideaki Itsuno. Despite being a financial success, the mundane tone, easier difficulty, and imbalanced combat was a turn-off for fans. It has been rumored that Itsuno came on late in the development and could only salvage the project so much.

Devil May Cry 3 was Itsuno’s turn-around success following DMC2. The prequel brought back a more youthful Dante will all his smart-alecky one-liners. The difficulty went from the mentioned easier DMC2 to a level of brutality. The difficulty settings were such an issue that different versions received different assignments based on region. The combat engine was re-balanced and the multiple-style system was put in place. The weapon switching system was enhanced and the gameplay depth is unparalleled even today. Due to the game’s success a special edition was released shortly after. The main addition was the ability to play as Dante’s brother, Vergil.

Box Art said:

Screenshot Comparisons said:

HD Screenshots said:

Spoiler Warning: Documents below may contain spoilers for single player and game mechanics.

Click for the google doc
Click for the pastebin

Click for the google doc
Click for the pastebin

4abqk.png

Player: Gunbo13
System: PC @ 1400 x 1050
Controller: PS2 w/ USB Adapter

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition [HD] - Intro to Advanced Gunslinger

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqp5DIW8seI

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition [HD] - Intro to Advanced Mechanics

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YA4L2v1fEA

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition [HD] - How to Do A Combo Video

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfsiKoagFXc

Direct Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q8buprGu-4

Direct Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayw26DjGUE0

Direct Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW5LXYEMVAc

Game Changes (countesy of LHK)
-Dante in DMC3 got new taunts
-New control choices for DMC1
-Art gallery
-Soundtrack for all three games
-99 trophies and achievements w/platinums

Trophies (courtesy of DarknessTear)
http://www.yourgamercards.net/game/1232
http://www.yourgamercards.net/game/1231
http://www.yourgamercards.net/game/1233

Videos [Xbox360] (courtesy of randomwab)
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2 Dante
Devil May Cry 2 Lucia
Devil May Cry 3

burgerdog

I just called my local GS and I was told "it's actually out on the 4th of April." Boourns. It should be April 3rd if not today.

Same here. Got it at gamestop.

A couple quick tidbits:

DMC3:SE has altered difficulty settings for a much different experience. Gunbo says "Vergil is the biggest addition to DMC3:SE" I kind of disagree. I think it's the complete rebalancing of the difficulty levels. With added GOLD mode and a toned down normal mode, DMC3:SE is more in line with DMC1 in terms of overall difficulty.

DMC1's combos are based on timing between button presses, experiment on that.

DMC1 explains all of it's special attacks and such in the menu screen under section "ACTION"

You want to play DMC3 on GOLD MODE. That is all.

Do not play DMC1 on easy automatic mode. Normally, playing on easy is fine - but you are forced to play under 'automatic'. In DMC3, you have the option turn automatic OFF if you wish to play on easy. Not so much the case for DMC1. Automatic is as bad as a racing game driving for you. It's no fun. Furthermore, many of the enemies and enemy attacks are completely removed from easy auto mode. Again, I urge you to keep DMC1 on normal. There is many avenues to receive help against the 1st DMC boss fight, Phantom - which may intimidate you to go to easy. Don't. LHK demands such =p

In DMC1, you need to press R1 / RB (target lock) + the shoot button to shoot.

There is a shotgun on mission 2 in DMC1. If you can't find the shotgun, just smash some tables - you'll get what I'm saying.

I'll keep these little blurbs as this thread goes on of all the little things I find necessary to disclose.

EDIT: I miss the original OT title - keeping it stylish for over a decade. So relevant...hm.

Got mine at Gamestop. Playing the games in order, currently being reminded how rusty I am at this series. Got my ass handed to my by Phantom the first time around.

Much better OT. While I appreciated the sheer amount of info in the other one, it was a little much, especially when you consider these games are between 10-6 years old.

With my luck this won't include Canadian gamestops lol.

It won't include them. You'll have to wait for your game like a common every-day babby.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So uh whats the actual NA box art look like? OP just has the EU ones. And I can't seem to find the NA box art anywhere, they all have that PAL "Classics HD" logo on it.

Either way looking forward to checking this one out. Had no idea GS was releasing it early.

Got mine at Gamestop. Playing the games in order, currently being reminded how rusty I am at this series. Got my ass handed to my by Phantom the first time around.

Air Raid.

Devil Trigger (L1) then while in air (R1 + Shoot button)

Use analogous buttons for 360 version

Automatic win. Carry on.

So uh whats the actual NA box art look like? OP just has the EU ones. And I can't seem to find the NA box art anywhere, they all have that PAL "Classics HD" logo on it.

Either way looking forward to checking this one out. Had no idea GS was releasing it early.

heh

EDIT: Here you go buddy...

0wrHb.jpg

Much better OT. While I appreciated the sheer amount of info in the other one, it was a little much, especially when you consider these games are between 10-6 years old.

It won't include them. You'll have to wait for your game like a common every-day babby.

To be perfectly honest. It really wasn't. DMC games are like fighting games in depth. Gunbo was just doing what he would normally do when somebody asks him "how to play DMC"

I would have responded the same way, as would anyone else who can clear DMD with little trouble.

EDIT: Gunbo, when you zoom in on the pictures it zooms in two both SD - PS2 versions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Much cleaner, guys. And at least the info's still there for people who want to check it out in case. :)

Will decide to get this for sure if DMC3 runs nicely.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Gunbo was just doing what he would normally do when somebody asks him "how to play DMC"
Yep. We both act the same way whenever people ask about Chrono Trigger mechanics.

So it's out early? Funny story: I actually forgot what store I pre-ordered the game from so won't be getting it till I remember (or they send me a notification).

Dipswitch

Ah - much improved! Will be keeping an eye on this, as I'd like to play through them all at some point. Yes, even DMC2, unless people think it's completely a lost cause.

mandas

Neo Member
I got a text on my phone from Gamestop and it said tomorrow. Dang...I will be there tomorrow then. This is going to take up a lot of my time and I am glad of it.

Dahbomb

I will probably go back and edit that "guide" once I get the time. It was planned to be in the OT but now it might as well be an advance guide with all the bells and whistles. That's probably going to be my long term project.

In the meanwhile, Top 10 things that DMC3 improved from DMC1:

10) Control system optimized and fully customizable
9) Checkpoint system corrected for modern expectations
8) 2nd unlockable character
7) More weapon classes added
6) Style ranking system revamped
5) Cutscenes have more action choreography
4) Move properties greatly expanded
3) Introduction of Styles
2) Aerial moves can be cancelled with Enemy Step
1) Real-time weapon swap for both firearms and devil arms

There are probably more but this is a solid top 10. It's when you realize that Magma Drive can't even be risen up like Hightime that you realize how even at the little things DMC3 expanded the series.

Next list is going to be "top 10 things DMC1 still does better than DMC3".

gunbo13

Gunbo was just doing what he would normally do when somebody asks him "how to play DMC."
I'll just say that I tried something different. I wanted a guide for people who wanted to really try advanced stuff in DMC3:SE. And by advanced I mean the wall or neighbor it. It's still there...but the idea of getting newcomers is probably a lost cause.
EDIT: Gunbo, when you zoom in on the pictures it zooms in two both SD - PS2 versions.
On what?
I will probably go back and edit that "guide" once I get the time.
Didn't know what else to call them at this point.

Soul Beat

Maybe I should buy this to support this kind of DMC game as opposed to the other DmC.

I still don't wanna give Capcom money though. =/

No, there isn't. We should be getting something new next week at Captivate, however.

bleh. Couldn't care less about that. Very grateful they haven't sullied the Collection with mention of that.................game.

Just hope hmv has this tomorrow... us EU'ers might still have wait till the 4th.

ezekial45

Banned
bleh. Couldn't care less about that. Very grateful they haven't sullied the Collection with mention of that.................game.

I think it has more to do with them already planning something new the week after release, and that all the previous media and trailers for the game are fairly old at this point.

Beth Cyra

Got all the way to gamestop only to have them say they can't sell it till the 3rd, this being after I called and confirmed damn it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop near me says tomorrow afternoon

Oh well I'll be out that way anyways around that time

DMC1 looks roooough in HD, by the way. Mostly forgivable considering how old it is, but it is not a looker. Honestly the texture work in the series at large does not hold up at higher res.

Persona7

Banned
I still have a sealed 5th anniversary collection. I bought it because I lost my copy of DMC1 and didn't have the special edition of 3.

I'll get this when it drops in price.

Top Bottom