• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Nemesis_

For what it's worth, you just need to hold down the "meteor" button to charge it. Dante will throw out one fireball, and then charge his second one.

IN OTHER NEWS, I FUCKING BEAT MUNDUS II.

GAME COMPLETE

SO HAPPY ^__________^

dSxKa.gif

Thank you everyone for your help. On to DMC2 whenever I get the chance. >_>

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For what it's worth, you just need to hold down the "meteor" button to charge it. Dante will throw out one fireball, and then charge his second one.

IN OTHER NEWS, I FUCKING BEAT MUNDUS II.

GAME COMPLETE

SO HAPPY ^__________^

dSxKa.gif

Thank you everyone for your help. On to DMC2 whenever I get the chance. >_>

Congrats! Good stuff, man. I've been going back to DMC every now and again between DMC3 playthroughs. Any tips on the Shadow and Fetish Enemy Files now? Also, we came to the conclusion that you need to use Yellow Orbs to complete the Blades Enemy File, right?

Does anyone remember if the Bloody Palace Mode in DMC2 actually hard or just tedious?

Nemesis_

I still have the Shadow, Fetish and Sin Scythe files to do. Will just have to attempt them on another runthrough of Normal tomorrow. =( will let yu know but I don't think it's very possible on Hard.

Carbonox

Congrats! Good stuff, man. I've been going back to DMC every now and again between DMC3 playthroughs. Any tips on the Shadow and Fetish Enemy Files now? Also, we came to the conclusion that you need to use Yellow Orbs to complete the Blades Enemy File, right?

Does anyone remember if the Bloody Palace Mode in DMC2 actually hard or just tedious?

For Shadow, I did the trickiest bit on Normal. When he first did the spear, I shot him as much as possible with E&I to no avail. I then got him to do it again and this time I activated DT and shot him with E&I, which resulted in him going straight to rage mode before exploding.

For some reason I nudge Shadows in to their spear more if I shot at them once or twice from afar with E&I. You need them to walk slowly while you keep backing off, then they'll do it. Give it two tries in the same fight and you should get it. Make sure you activate DT during it.

Aside from that, congrats Nemesis!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For Shadow, I did the trickiest bit on Normal. When he first did the spear, I shot him as much as possible with E&I to no avail. I then got him to do it again and this time I activated DT and shot him with E&I, which resulted in him going straight to rage mode before exploding.

For some reason I nudge Shadows in to their spear more if I shot at them once or twice from afar with E&I. You need them to walk slowly while you keep backing off, then they'll do it. Give it two tries in the same fight and you should get it. Make sure you activate DT during it.

Aside from that, congrats Nemesis!

I was trying to do it on Hard, like Nemesis, and failing. :( I would get on his spike and fire DT shots into his face 5-6 times, but nothing was happening. I'll beat the game on Hard and try again on Normal, maybe.

Carbonox

I was trying to do it on Hard, like Nemesis, and failing. :( I would get on his spike and fire DT shots into his face 5-6 times, but nothing was happening. I'll beat the game on Hard and try again on Normal, maybe.

How many times did you jump on the spike? I had to do it twice on Normal, both times shooting the shit out of it with E&I before it worked.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How many times did you jump on the spike? I had to do it twice on Normal, both times shooting the shit out of it with E&I before it worked.

Sorry, I was unclear. I jumped in his spike 5-6 times at least. Maybe if I weaken him first? Criticals aren't supposed to work like that, though, I thought.

Carbonox

Sorry, I was unclear. I jumped in his spike 5-6 times at least. Maybe if I weaken him first? Criticals aren't supposed to work like that, though, I thought.

Maybe you have to be lucky then? I dunno, haha. I definitely only jumped on the spike twice on my Normal run and shot DT E&I bullets to make the Shadow turn red without exposing the core. That was enough to grant me the entry. :\

Dahbomb

Shadow's critical isn't like other enemies critical. Basically what you are doing with the spike thing is that you are shooting directly at the core, at it's actual health bar. You still need to do it a few times to kill him, it may not work a single time on higher difficulties. It's called a critical hit or hits because if you just shoot with your guns normal you aren't actually damaging it because you aren't hitting the core. Any hit on the core is considered a critical hit for Shadow and by jumping on its spike and shooting you are shooting at its core essentially.

Himself

Wow, DMC3 is a long game. I may just be getting burnt out since I've played all three games is succession, but I think I'll take a break after this before playing 4. Seems to be about as long as the previous two combined. Great game though. As of now, on my first play through of the series I'd say I like DMC>DMC3>>>DMC 2.

DMC 3 may cause my right thumb to atrophy and fall off or become incredibly muscular and huge.

zero_suit

Wow, DMC3 is a long game. I may just be getting burnt out since I've played all three games is succession, but I think I'll take a break after this before playing 4. Seems to be about as long as the previous two combined. Great game though. As of now, on my first play through of the series I'd say I like DMC>DMC3>>>DMC 2.

DMC 3 may cause my right thumb to atrophy and fall off or become incredibly muscular and huge.

How far are you?

burgerdog

I redeemed myself after deleting my save! Beat hard from scratch in half the time it took me to beat normal. I also started a hard Vergil run and I'm liking his play style quite a bit. I thought he was going to be a Dante clone, boy was I wrong.

zero_suit

I redeemed myself after deleting my save! Beat hard from scratch in half the time it took me to beat normal. I also started a hard Vergil run and I'm liking his play style quite a bit. I thought he was going to be a Dante clone, boy was I wrong.

LOL, I have no idea why you thought that.

Himself

How far are you?

Just finished or just got to mission 10. Play time is about 6:30. Not that it's really a problem, I'd just assumed it would be about as long as the previous 2.

You aren't playing with enough gusto if you don't have wrist pains and numbness of the fingers.

It's mostly concentrated in my right thumb knuckle. Can't play more than two missions without taking a break. I'm also doing some kind of weird lip chewing/sucking thing that I don't remember doing with any other game ever. This shit gets incredibly intense. I'm a grown ass man but I probably resemble an 11 year old the way I'm fidgeting while playing this thing.

Dahbomb

Just finished or just got to mission 10. Play time is about 6:30. Not that it's really a problem, I'd just assumed it would be about as long as the previous 2.
Yeah DMC3 is longer than both DMC1 and DMC2 combined. You still got a long way to go.

It's mostly concentrated in my right thumb knuckle. Can't play more than two missions without taking a break. I'm also doing some kind of weird lip chewing/sucking thing that I don't remember doing with any other game ever. This shit gets incredibly intense. I'm a grown ass man but I probably resemble an 11 year old the way I'm fidgeting while playing this thing.
That's the gamer twitch. You don't get it unless you are playing something truly special.

Goooooood I'm having so much trouble with DMC3, and I used to DMD this fucking game. What the shit. I've swapped my control setup to suit Gunslinger (which I've never done before) but god damn it I just keep being destroyed. I'm at the boss rush place right now and I just... keep dying for no reason. Guess I need to be more focused or something. Am I expected to play in Turbo mode? That's what I'm doing, at least. Maybe I didn't do that back in the day, I don't remember.

Regardless, I'm being frustrated to hell and back by the game, compared to DMC1 that just felt perfectly fair all the time.

Dahbomb

Turbo mode isn't really the default mode for the game although but now your timing is set to it so going back would actually hurt you more.

Himself

Yeah DMC3 is longer than both DMC1 and DMC2 combined. You still got a long way to go.

How long is DMC4 in comparison? Just so I know if I still have the willpower to play another DMC game after I finish 3. I'm in love with the series but I might need a break from it after 3. Been playing waaaay too much.

Goooooood I'm having so much trouble with DMC3, and I used to DMD this fucking game. What the shit. I've swapped my control setup to suit Gunslinger (which I've never done before) but god damn it I just keep being destroyed. I'm at the boss rush place right now and I just... keep dying for no reason. Guess I need to be more focused or something. Am I expected to play in Turbo mode? That's what I'm doing, at least. Maybe I didn't do that back in the day, I don't remember.

Regardless, I'm being frustrated to hell and back by the game, compared to DMC1 that just felt perfectly fair all the time.

Is there really a boss rush in DMC3? I am really not looking forward to that. It reminds me of Demons Souls how whenever I get to a new boss I'm just like "OK, time to die!". I end up enjoying it, but I'm not l looking forward to having to beat a string of them back to back.

Dahbomb

Is this your first time with the series?

DMC3 has a very interesting boss gauntlet.
You are essentially in this twisted marbled transient location on hell that has like upside down stairs leading to various rooms with color gems and symbols of previous bosses on the doors. You can choose which boss you fight and in what order but the only way to go to the next area is if you complete the puzzle which is this giant stone tablet with the gems interconnected. Connecting the gems together will unlock the next area however you can attempt to take the shortest possible route which will lead you through less boss fights but those boss fights are the toughest ones. Alternatively you can go through the easier ones but you will have to fight more of them. Remember that by this time you are far more leveled up than before and most of these bosses you fought earlier on when you were much weaker.

DMC4 is about as long as DMC3, probably a bit shorter.
It too has a boss gauntlet but it's tied to a dice puzzle game. Most people don't know that you can manipulate the dice roll by Bustering right before the number you want it to land on. The boss gauntlet is a standard one though, you go through the 4 main boss battles in the game and you don't have any choice in that matter order or boss selection wise.

And if this is your first time...at the end of DMC3 you will have a battle during the credits. Kill 100 enemies to unlock a special ending.

zero_suit

Is there really a boss rush in DMC3? I am really not looking forward to that. It reminds me of Demons Souls how whenever I get to a new boss I'm just like "OK, time to die!". I end up enjoying it, but I'm not l looking forward to having to beat a string of them back to back.

Yup :)

Ifrit

I picked my GAF username in honor of the DMC1 gauntlets, not the FF summon or the mythycal creature they're both based on. They're THAT awesome

Just wanted to share that

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's pretty boss, Ifrit :D

Carbonox

What is the best order to buy stuff in DMC1? All I really bought so far is Stinger lvl 1 and Air Raid

Stinger lvl 2 and Air Hike are very important. Vortex is quite handy also. Leave Round Trip until a later point as it's not as important.

If you feel your health may not be up to scratch yet, invest in a couple of cheap Blue Orbs and make sure you keep an eye on fragments throughout the game. A couple of Purple Orbs to help you in your DT moments wouldn't go amiss either.

Dahbomb

Best order to get moves for Alastor is:

Stinger LVL1 -> Air Raid -> Air Hike -> Stinger LVL2 -> Vortex -> Round Trip

First two are really cheap and very useful. Air Hike while expensive is pretty invaluable throughout the whole game and helps you in numerous situations. Stinger LVL2 mostly because the distance on it is amazing. Vortex you can get by for a major portion of the game without but it makes certain fights easier. Round Trip is a novelty move, the only one in the game.

But Alastor moves are also competing with Blue Orb and Purple Orbs in the statues plus Ifrit moves later on in terms of red orbs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any good videos of how this looks? Need something new to play until Prototype since Silent Hill HD collection is... depressing.

gunbo13

Got my first official forearm cramp from whatever that thing was in the torture chamber in Ch. 11, DMC3.
I know about dealing with hand/wrist issues from DMC3:SE all too well. The main thing you have to do is learn to relax your hands/wrists when NOT fighting. And maybe the control configuration is too much? I went into quite detail on making the appropriate controller configuration for comfort levels in my tutorial videos. I didn't just state those things for functionality. The main thing is to balance your configuration between your hands. You could be overtaxing your right hand. A main issue with the default is lock on and weapon switch on the right side. That really can screw up your hand and your inputs to boot. I put my lock-on to L1 to balance my hands and lower the stress on my wrist. Gunslinger is the worse culprit with bad configs. The hold buffering can kill you if you don't set it correctly.

These are usually tips for people who are going to do very advanced mechanics. But for somebody experiencing wrist/forearm issues, you might want to consider following this advice if it gets really bothersome. I actually had really bad wrist pain for two days straight after messing around with GS in the lab. No joke and I'm in great physical condition. I even rock climb and DMC3 screws up my wrist/forearms.

I picked my GAF username in honor of the DMC1 gauntlets, not the FF summon or the mythycal creature they're both based on. They're THAT awesome

Just wanted to share that

nice lol, it's without a doubt my favorite weapon to use as well. Once I get them i simply refuse to use anything else.

Carbonox

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Any tips for secret mission 5? Where you have to get the two spiders to kill each other?

Jump around in-between them so that they're facing eachother. Pretty much all you can do to get them to attack one another.

Aside from this, does anyone know how to get the Fetish to do grab move and the war cry? I was running up to one for about 10 minutes trying to get it to do these attacks but it just kept trying to hit me or set me on fire.

Jump around in-between them so that they're facing eachother. Pretty much all you can do to get them to attack one another.

Aside from this, does anyone know how to get the Fetish to do grab move and the war cry? I was running up to one for about 10 minutes trying to get it to do these attacks but it just kept trying to hit me or set me on fire.

Ugh, I forgot how much I hate these secret missions. They just seem like nonsense roadblocks that completely destroy the fun of these games for me...

Doing the two battle adjudicator with Beowulf and Rebllion made my hands cramp.

The SSS ones for each are pretty easy once you've got level 3 Swordmaster, IIRC. Maybe a tiny bit tougher with Beowulf because the game counts a few of its SM attacks as projectile and not melee attacks, but the fact that you can charge its attacks (and get more style by doing so, even against a Combat Adjudicator, IIRC) more than makes up the difference.

Himself

Ugh, I forgot how much I hate these secret missions. They just seem like nonsense roadblocks that completely destroy the fun of these games for me...

I just bypass them although I can see how some people would relish in them. I get more than enough challenge and variety from the main game. The hardest of the hardcore probably consider the main game just training for the secret missions.

The SSS ones for each are pretty easy once you've got level 3 Swordmaster, IIRC. Maybe a tiny bit tougher with Beowulf because the game counts a few of its SM attacks as projectile and not melee attacks, but the fact that you can charge its attacks (and get more style by doing so, even against a Combat Adjudicator, IIRC) more than makes up the difference.

I got greedy and I did both only having SM level 2. I will say though that forced me to relay the style meter system. Beowulf was tougher for me because it took me forever to do the combo where he does like 1000 punches.

gunbo13

The adjudicators just like style meter are heavily based on variety and speed. For all weapons your speed goes up huge if you can ESC. If you can't ESC, then you just pattern your attacks and it eventually will break. It's pretty simple either way. But if you don't ESC then to go the pattern route yes, you will want unlocked SM for the variety. Beo has huge lag on many attacks.

Top Bottom