• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Lightning

Banned
I'm a bit rusty it seems... I am not getting the SS ranks I enjoyed when DMC3 first released. It's slowly coming back but this will be a lot of work...

Carbonox

I did it! It took me nearly a whole day, but thankfully with common breaks it became quite manageable. Of course, I used Trish.

The thing I found hardest was trying to be calm about how I handled things - for example I tried my best not to actually run into things and instead patiently Round Tripped enemies while taking them out with handguns and occasionally punching/kicking if I could get through it.

Then, I got to floor 8801 or something, and something glitched just outside the wall. I fucking RAGEEEDDDDDD but then thankfully you can kind of "lodge" Trish's Sparda into the wall and it still took the last enemy out, which was so good.

THEN, THE BIGGEST THING.

FLOOR 9001! THE FINAL FLOOR. I was doing okay ish, but I knew that I had fluked it as I had dodged so much GOAT SHIT accidently and I was so thankful. Then I got caught up and the damage just kept piling on and on and on. So I died =( BUT I HAD A FUCKING GOLD ORB THAT I FORGOT ABOUT.

SO I WON.

Up to Mission 4 in DMC3 now. Forgot just how amazing this game is, defintiely better than DMC and overall feels so much more balance. Really easy to farm Red Orbs early on though, but I suppose there's so much crap to upgrade that it doesn't matter. Already upgraded my Trickster to Lvl 2.

What styles should I look into upgrading for future battles? Would it be out of the question to expect to have Lvl 3 for all my styles by the time I get to DMD? Or should I instead focus on some. Trickster seems to be the most useful thus far.

Fucking Cerberus. Forgot how hard he was.

Once you get back into the groove of things, though, this is easily (along with Bayonetta) the best action game ever. Coming straight from DMC2 really fucked me over especially since spending so much time with it. But I am in love all over again! And I haven't even unlocked Vergil yet, lol.

Congrats on completing Bloody Palace! I'll start a fresh run after I finish work. I need to beat this so I can get to Devil May Cry 3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Congrats Nemesis556! :D

Nemesis_

Oh shit, you can get SS ranks? ;_; And here I thought I was amazing getting S.

Will have to retry, my OCD requires it.

*does not actually have OCD*

Dahbomb

About time people are starting with DMC3.

And yes ranks go up to SS in DMC3 (S in everything, no damage) and SB ranks in DMC1 (S Rank + Special Bonus).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I did it! It took me nearly a whole day, but thankfully with common breaks it became quite manageable. Of course, I used Trish.

The thing I found hardest was trying to be calm about how I handled things - for example I tried my best not to actually run into things and instead patiently Round Tripped enemies while taking them out with handguns and occasionally punching/kicking if I could get through it.

Then, I got to floor 8801 or something, and something glitched just outside the wall. I fucking RAGEEEDDDDDD but then thankfully you can kind of "lodge" Trish's Sparda into the wall and it still took the last enemy out, which was so good.

THEN, THE BIGGEST THING.

FLOOR 9001! THE FINAL FLOOR. I was doing okay ish, but I knew that I had fluked it as I had dodged so much GOAT SHIT accidently and I was so thankful. Then I got caught up and the damage just kept piling on and on and on. So I died =( BUT I HAD A FUCKING GOLD ORB THAT I FORGOT ABOUT.

SO I WON.

Up to Mission 4 in DMC3 now. Forgot just how amazing this game is, defintiely better than DMC and overall feels so much more balance. Really easy to farm Red Orbs early on though, but I suppose there's so much crap to upgrade that it doesn't matter. Already upgraded my Trickster to Lvl 2.

What styles should I look into upgrading for future battles? Would it be out of the question to expect to have Lvl 3 for all my styles by the time I get to DMD? Or should I instead focus on some. Trickster seems to be the most useful thus far.

Fucking Cerberus. Forgot how hard he was.

Once you get back into the groove of things, though, this is easily (along with Bayonetta) the best action game ever. Coming straight from DMC2 really fucked me over especially since spending so much time with it. But I am in love all over again! And I haven't even unlocked Vergil yet, lol.

Congrats!

Having all your styles maxed by DMD is doable if you complete all difficulties before going into DMD and do some Bloody Palace grinding. Trickster is always useful, but Royal Guard and Swordmaster will definitely help to get to at least Lvl 2.

In DMC3, does anyone know if the difficulty achievement stacks? Like, if I skip Very Hard and go straight to DMD, will I get an achievement for both Very Hard and DMD?

Oh, and SS Ranks won't show up on the Mission Complete screen, but on your Total Ranking Screen. You get them if you S every stat.

Nemesis_

Ahh okay. I've levelled up Swordmaster and Trickster to Level 2. I'm trying to get Gunslinger now but by the sounds of it I should prioritise Royal Guard? Really?

I never remember using Royal Guard and to be honest I don't see the uesfulness now, but I am sure it is usefull, and I just need to be educated =P

I might have a read through the OP documents.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ahh okay. I've levelled up Swordmaster and Trickster to Level 2. I'm trying to get Gunslinger now but by the sounds of it I should prioritise Royal Guard? Really?

I never remember using Royal Guard and to be honest I don't see the uesfulness now, but I am sure it is usefull, and I just need to be educated =P

I might have a read through the OP documents.

Royal Guard, even if you're not super proficient with it, can help immensely with fights like Agni&Rudra or Vergil on the harder difficulties. It's not a big deal, though. I can see the value in sticking with Swordmaster or Trickster to get to Lvl 3 since Trick-Up and certain Lvl3 Swordmaster abilities are really strong.

The only reason you might want to have the option of Royal Guard lvl2 is because you then have air-block available. If you didn't know already, jump blocking is a technique often employed to make the Just Block easier. You can actually guard during the early invincibility frames of the jump. If you time it correctly, you get a parry. If you time it incorrectly, the attack will still pass through because you have I-frames. You can get the same effect with rolling, but it's tougher.

But don't let that stop you from going for Gunslinger. Gunslinger is best used with modified control schemes and Artemis, neither of which I did all that much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Jesus, I'm playing DMC2 Hard and just got to Arius. I hit him a few times and then he jumped on his desk and glitched out. He's literally suspended on the edge of his desk, in falling animation, and I can't hit him. Sword and projectiles go clean through him, even though I can target him.

Looks like he wins this round. :(

BadWolf

Just finished DMC4 and not really sure what to think.

On the one hand I liked it and enjoyed the gameplay. Nero wasn't half bad, aside from the Kyrie BS, and the grappler-like style they gave him was fun. Didn't get into the whole sword charging thing but found it to be a pretty cool idea.

Aside from that though the game felt extremely half assed. The story is crap and the villains and anyone not named Dante, Nero and maybe Trish were terrabad.

Then there's the little fact that its half a game being played twice, felt like two playthroughs in one, complete with fighting pretty much each boss thrice. Did they run out of money or something? Dante part was a joke, you were just running through the same areas, enemies and bosses doing the exact same thing/patterns, very easy.

If I were to compare it to the genre's best (God Hand, Bayonetta and DMC3) then I can't possibly give it more than a 7/10.

Might replay it at a later time and delve deeper into the combat but yeah, I expected more.

Just finished DMC4 and not really sure what to think.

On the one hand I liked it and enjoyed the gameplay. Nero wasn't half bad, aside from the Kyrie BS, and the grappler-like style they gave him was fun. Didn't get into the whole sword charging thing but found it to be a pretty cool idea.

Aside from that though the game felt extremely half assed. The story is crap and the villains and anyone not named Dante, Nero and maybe Trish were terrabad.

Then there's the little fact that its half a game being played twice, felt like two playthroughs in one, complete with fighting pretty much each boss thrice. Did they run out of money or something? Dante part was a joke, you were just running through the same areas, enemies and bosses doing the exact same thing/patterns, very easy.

If I were to compare it to the genre's best (God Hand, Bayonetta and DMC3) then I can't possibly give it more than a 7/10.

Might replay it at a later time and delve deeper into the combat but yeah, I expected more.

DMC4 is kinda messed up for sure but to be honest probably 99.9% of the fun in DMC4 comes after the first playthrough with being able to use your fullset of moves from the get-go on both characters (or play in the Bloody Palace). By the time you finish up Dante's part in DMC4 you had barely gotten the chance to use most of his stuff.

Nemesis_

NOW I WANT TO KNOW.

What did you guys think of the Jester boss battles? I've only done Jester I, but it seemed, lazy.

I realise they were added but the way they were added really make no sense after Jester's interactions with Dante in the scene prior. =/

Nemesis_

^ Yeah, might need to make that investment for the future at some point, lol.

Really loving this game. I forgot how great it was.

It's criminal that we've never been and probably never will be able to play as Lady. EVERYONE ELSE but her =(

Dahbomb

NOW I WANT TO KNOW.

What did you guys think of the Jester boss battles? I've only done Jester I, but it seemed, lazy.

I realise they were added but the way they were added really make no sense after Jester's interactions with Dante in the scene prior. =/
Jester fights are alright, they are supposed to be more fun than a challenge. Also they get harder with each subsequent version of Jester.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NOW I WANT TO KNOW.

I thought they were a neat addition, but I wasn't crazy about them or anything. I would have much preferred them making a specific boss version of Dante for Vergil to fight on his playthrough (instead of red coat Vergil). It was nice of them to add anything to the Special Edition, though.

It's really too bad Vergil doesn't have Air Hike. His Trick Up ability is neat and handy in some situations, but also (because his double-jump requires lock-on) somewhat unreliable at times. Giving him Air Hike and/or making his Style moves more useful would've been neat. Wouldn't mind seeing Vergil's DTE replaced with his Super Judgment Cut move from the Vergil 3 fight, either (with Vergil playable while the orbs are slicing/detonating for that 10-15 seconds or so) but maybe that would've been too ridiculous.

Ah well. For a character assembled from some boss fight attacks, he's surprisingly polished and balanced and fun to play as, so I shouldn't complain. :)

Darkatomz

I don't know about you guys, but I still find the Cerberus boss fight to be the very hardest in the entire game. And it's even worse since he's the first and SUCKS to fight until you have all the weapons and maxed skills.

I don't know about you guys, but I still find the Cerberus boss fight to be the very hardest in the entire game. And it's even worse since he's the first and SUCKS to fight until you have all the weapons and maxed skills.

I feel like DMD Arkham is tougher than DMD Cerberus, if only because you lose style moves and DT in the second half of it and he's got that ridiculously-powerful nearly-undodgeable homing projectile attack.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm getting near to the end of DMC and am really loving it now that it's clicked. I've never been able to be moderately proficient at any stylish action game outside of God of War before. It's really great. I love the emphasis on jumping, dodging, and timing versus constantly blocking. I like being able to stay on the move and the moveset is very easy to execute. I'm glad that the inputs for special moves are quite simple (I'm really bad at remembering long button combinations) but you can mix them up in so many ways. I'm probably going to start on DMC3 right away once I've finished this to see if it's as good as everyone says.

Dahbomb

Arkham in DMC3 was a super cheap fight. Not exciting or particularly difficult... just cheap. He had a few attacks and they were extremely hard to see/read because the whole area looks like him and his attacks. Same for those dolphins that he summons. The only good thing that can be taken from the boss fight is that it's like only one of two instances in all of DMC where
co-op was possible (second player could actually control Vergil). The other instance is controlling with second image of Doppelganger.

Plus of course DAT cutscene ender...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's really too bad Vergil doesn't have Air Hike. His Trick Up ability is neat and handy in some situations, but also (because his double-jump requires lock-on) somewhat unreliable at times. Giving him Air Hike and/or making his Style moves more useful would've been neat. Wouldn't mind seeing Vergil's DTE replaced with his Super Judgment Cut move from the Vergil 3 fight, either (with Vergil playable while the orbs are slicing/detonating for that 10-15 seconds or so) but maybe that would've been too ridiculous.

Ah well. For a character assembled from some boss fight attacks, he's surprisingly polished and balanced and fun to play as, so I shouldn't complain. :)

Air Hike would've been nice, but I feel like it was a conscientious design choice. As a boss you never see Vergil jump... you don't even see him run, actually (except in the Arkham fight). He just calmly walks and teleports everywhere. I think they wanted to capture that feeling in his playable version as best they could.

I would have liked to see him with a Royal Guard parry, since he has that in boss fights, but maybe that may have been a bit much. They could have added it as a neutral soft lock-on Style input.

I always experienced that air hike did not have invincibility frames but trick up did... I liked that fact and also abused it while closing in upon DT'd enigmas or Hell vanguards...

Also the ability to shoot (summon swords) while performing melee attacks was an absolute killer (I've only been able to finish BP with vergil because of this very fact)...

Darkatomz

I feel like DMD Arkham is tougher than DMD Cerberus, if only because you lose style moves and DT in the second half of it and he's got that ridiculously-powerful nearly-undodgeable homing projectile attack.
Mmm... I don't know about tougher, but iirc, that level is harder to S rank.

Is the Arkham boss fight (mission 19) take place after the chess board? Or is that mission 18?? I can't seem to remember. It's been years.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm fighting that stupid invisible fish on Lucia Must Die. This is the most poorly design boss I have seen in a long fucking time. Holy shit. It doesn't make any sense. Who thought this was a good idea?

Nemesis_

I'm fighting that stupid invisible fish on Lucia Must Die. This is the most poorly design boss I have seen in a long fucking time. Holy shit. It doesn't make any sense. Who thought this was a good idea?

It is so terrible.

Using Cranky Bombs really alleviates frustration though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because Devil May Cry 2 is a bad video game.

Too true, but despite the poorly implemented combat innovations and the questionable design choices, it mostly just reeked of general incompetence and a misunderstanding of their fanbase. The invisible fish just seems like a deliberate, malicious attempt to make the battle as absolutely stupid as possible. Someone had to tell the programmers to make the fish invisible at all times on DMD and thought that they were doing something positive.

It is so terrible.

Using Cranky Bombs really alleviates frustration though.

Yep, thanks for that. I remember your post from a few pages ago regarding this, so I switched to Lucia and spammed Cranky Bombs. Just finished my DMC2 DMD run.

I said a while back on this forum that DMC2 is an incredibly bad action game and I was met with responses like "well... it wasn't THAT bad". Like in all honesty DMC2 is nothing but bad decisions from top to bottom. Everything is fucking stupid. Large open spaces but still static camera angles from DMC1. Physics are fucking CRAZY bad in general - literally the second you pick up the controller it feels off. All of the enemies and bosses are of poor quality. The balance is not there. It is really not an enjoyable game under any circumstance. There is nothing to squeeze from that rock.

The only thing about DMC2 is just the historic significance that a company could make such a bad sequel and then an amazing sequel. The act of playing DMC2 is only fun under like some ironic pretense - like hopefully you are laughing at how bad the game is while playing it simultaneously.

Nemesis_

I will be honest, as soon as I picked up DMC2 STRAIGHT AFTER completing DMC1 on DMD I was pretty disgusted. Then a few weeks or so later I was "into" DMC2 and I thought to myself that it really wasn't that bad, and that some bosses (Despair / Bolverk) actually felt like pretty cool DMC bosses.

Then I finished it and moved onto DMC3. And realised how terrible DMC2 was.

So, I think it's an okay game but in the context of the whole series, it's generally the worst game ever.

Will still be better than DmC? Or maybe not, time will tell

mandas

Neo Member
I will be honest, as soon as I picked up DMC2 STRAIGHT AFTER completing DMC1 on DMD I was pretty disgusted. Then a few weeks or so later I was "into" DMC2 and I thought to myself that it really wasn't that bad, and that some bosses (Despair / Bolverk) actually felt like pretty cool DMC bosses.

Then I finished it and moved onto DMC3. And realised how terrible DMC2 was.

So, I think it's an okay game but in the context of the whole series, it's generally the worst game ever.

Will still be better than DmC? Or maybe not, time will tell

I did that too but put it down for real life stuff and haven't finished my slogging through it yet. When I first played DMC2 years ago disappointment sat if pretty damned quickly. It was horrible after playing DMC1. The plus is that DMC3 will feel so good after this.

About DMC2 vs DmC I don't know. It seems like they are doing the same things with DmC as they did with DMC2.

I just don't know if I want to go through BP on DMC2 or rush into the arms of DMC3 as soon as I can.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just read that the difficulty Achievements don't stack in DMC3. :( I'm already well into my DMD run, skipping Very Hard. I guess I'll just do a Very Hard playthrough with Vergil at the same time as Dante DMD. It helps that this game is so fucking good.

I loved dmc at his time, i farted on dmc2 and i adored dmc3....
Yet when i'm playing dmc1 all feels weak and stupid and uneededly slow.... Is it just me?

Dahbomb

Ugh, get the fuck out of here.

I don't get it. Is this an editorial about an article on the same site? What's the point?
Reading it again you seem to be right. I thought they took the quote from NT but it's apparently just a quote from their hands on preview.

I like how they mention that DmC isn't dumbed down yet they basically justify how it is a good thing that DmC is being dumbed down because Bayonetta didn't have good sales despite having depth like DMC3. This has to be a new low.

I just read that the difficulty Achievements don't stack in DMC3. :( I'm already well into my DMD run, skipping Very Hard. I guess I'll just do a Very Hard playthrough with Vergil at the same time as Dante DMD. It helps that this game is so fucking good.

Really? I started DMD last night doing the same...,guess not then lol

Trying to really learn and play DMD this time. Cerberus made me cry

Reading it again you seem to be right. I thought they took the quote from NT but it's apparently just a quote from their hands on preview.

I like how they mention that DmC isn't dumbed down yet they basically justify how it is a good thing that DmC is being dumbed down because Bayonetta didn't have good sales despite having depth like DMC3. This has to be a new low.
Their position is indeed idiotic....

Top Bottom