• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Archon473

Doppelganger is also the style of choice against Cerberus.

How so? I tend to stick with Trickster and go to town with A&R. For example, when the red eyes head freezes the ground, the basic A&R air slash can be repeated via jump, Air Hike, and Air Trick, saving Sky Star for last to avoid Cerberus' body lunge or paw swipe before needing to land. Doppelganger would be effective if you managed to cripple Cerberus (attack his paw until he collapses) but I never accomplish this on DMD. He's one of the bosses I'm still very cautious against.

I love those kinds of tips because I'd never figure that out on my own. Got a five day weekend starting now so hopefully DMC HD will arrive from Newegg tomorrow.

Here are two good runs SS ranking DMD, the first with max Dante, the second without upgrading a single weapon or style. The brilliance of DMC3 is you can play one style and your favorite weapons and find success in every mission. Additionally, particular strategies destroy certain rooms or bosses. I remember when players discovered the invisible "ledge" on the right lung of Leviathan which allowed players to Air Hike - Killer Bee repeatedly. We began looking for all sorts of similar exploits and the game exploded. There are goofy strategies for every boss using every style. I was surprised I found practical use for Doppelganger. Devil May Cry 3 offers a level of improvisation I've never seen in another action game while still demonstrating carefully defined systems such as hit allowance, attack cancelling, and guaranteed methods of staggering or looping enemies. DMC3 is among my Top 5 favorite games.

Curufinwe

Does anyone know if the PSN version is compatible with saves from the disc version?

I plan on playing DMC 3 a lot over the next year or so, so if the PSN version dropped down to $20 I would double-dip if I knew my save game would work. Obviously, I wish they would just sell the games individually but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got this for Christmas and DMC3 continues to be awesome
But not the pinnacle of the genre, that's NG:Black
. The opening cutscene put this stupid grin on my face as Dante just destroys his own office with demons in it and doesn't give a fuck.

Compare this to me playing the Donte Must Cry demo with it's FUCK YOUs and yeah... you know that IGN editor "YEAH" "Bore" .jpg? My exact reaction to this.

Also I'm extremely glad the disc doesn't need to install a swap file to run the games. Can play the disc whenever I want without having to worry about harddrive space with the exception of save files.

(And I guess I now have a reason to play DMC2 since it's included on disc. Never did play that one. Yes, I know it's bad.)

Curufinwe

I skipped DMC 2 cause I didn't want the trophies on my profile. And after spending 50+ hours on DMC and DMC 3, I was ready to play some other games. I had never played DMC 3 SE before, but using Vergil was so much fun I got the Play Arts Kai statue for Christmas.

Finally beat DMC DMD...did it hard and dirty way. Youtube walkthroughs, tons of yellow orbs, farming for orbs to be always stocked with items, and took no chances with Nightmare 3/Mundus. I am done! What a great game. My favorite game of all time.

I was going to go back and get my platinum with the files...but I am missing quiet a few, and (I am assuming) some of them will require me to play through DMD again...yeah maybe another time

But woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!

TheSeks

One thing I miss from DMC4 is switching styles on the fly. I mean, yeah, DMC3 added a few more moves to each style that DMC4 removed in the switching on the fly. But I miss being able to move between Trickster dodging projectiles into Royal Guarding a melee attack to Just Release into Gunmaster to hit two enemies with my pistols. :(

Dahbomb

Finally beat DMC DMD...did it hard and dirty way. Youtube walkthroughs, tons of yellow orbs, farming for orbs to be always stocked with items, and took no chances with Nightmare 3/Mundus. I am done! What a great game. My favorite game of all time.

I was going to go back and get my platinum with the files...but I am missing quiet a few, and (I am assuming) some of them will require me to play through DMD again...yeah maybe another time

But woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!
Congratz! Welcome to the style high club.

Singho

Hi

Just blasted through DMC 3 SE as fast as I could this weekend to unlock Vergil. Mission complete...However I think I messed up.

How can I go back to select Dante and carry on with improving my grades on his levels? I'm pretty sure on PS2 version you could switch between characters on the menu, but I'm not having any luck.

I overwrite my Dante save when I finished the first stage with Vergil. *sigh*

Noi

Hi

Just blasted through DMC 3 SE as fast as I could this weekend to unlock Vergil. Mission complete...However I think I messed up.

How can I go back to select Dante and carry on with improving my grades on his levels? I'm pretty sure on PS2 version you could switch between characters on the menu, but I'm not having any luck.

I overwrite my Dante save when I finished the first stage with Vergil. *sigh*

Dante and Vergil are separate save files. If you saved over your Dante file, it's gone. It was the same even in the PS2 version.

renjility

Neo Member
Loved playing DMC on the PS2. I think I will pick this up. I have both Xbox and PS3 - is there any difference between the versions, for example DLCs or notable performance?

So, I never exactly played the series. I've owned DMC4 and loved it overall. I also have DMC HD Collection, but haven't really touched on it. Anything I should know before starting everything from the beginning of it all?

I've heard so much about it, and the hate it gets. But never really looked into why. Is it really that bad?

It's not a bad game, it's just...quite clearly a rushed product to cash-in on the success of DMC1. Nobody from the original team worked on this game and it really showed.

The big gripe is that it's way too easy. Seriously, it's literally just spam the guns to win. Also, Dante is completely void of ANY personality in this game.

It's not a bad game, it's just...quite clearly a rushed product to cash-in on the success of DMC1. Nobody from the original team worked on this game and it really showed.

The big gripe is that it's way too easy. Seriously, it's literally just spam the guns to win. Also, Dante is completely void of ANY personality in this game.

Oooh, I see. I can definitely understand why it get its reputation. I surely won't expect much from it then. Thanks for the info!

Ah. Well I like to go through a game no matter the situation, just to experience it. Hopefully I can have some sort of fun from it. As you said, I shouldn't expect too much. So, thanks for the heads up. ^^

Archon473

So, I never exactly played the series. I've owned DMC4 and loved it overall. I also have DMC HD Collection, but haven't really touched on it. Anything I should know before starting everything from the beginning of it all?

DMC1 - Ignore Air Hike; buy Rolling Blaze. Learn to Slash Cancel and DT Cancel.
DMC3 - Ignore purchasing Blue Orbs to increase your health. Learn to survive with low health. Having a Blue Orb available for purchase at the end of a level can act as a method of refilling your health when you just do not have the patience to restart a level and try again. The first run through the game is the most difficult because you know nothing and possess no weapons or actions. Have fun and do not stress during your Normal run. The game can be Ranked with any combination of style and weapons; pick what is comfortable for you. Different style/weapon layouts offer unique strategies, however; if success if alluding you, change things and try again. Most bosses and enemies have weaknesses. Eventually, their weakness will be challenging you.

shtkn

dmc.png

anyone have any clear screenshots of lady in 3 and 4 i could use as reference so i can finish up the group? i'd like one of her neutral pose in 3 to use as a base if possible.

TheSeks

Got up to the Opera House in DMC3. Got Nevan. But I never used it in the PS2 original. What is some good uses for it?

Curufinwe

Got up to the Opera House in DMC3. Got Nevan. But I never used it in the PS2 original. What is some good uses for it?

The Left + /\ attack is good for crowd control.

These guides are old, but I only came across them tonight and the incorporation of youtube clips makes them much easier to follow than just text.

http://www.bordersdown.net/content/532-Devil-May-Cry-3-Advanced-Technique-Guide-Swordmaster

http://www.bordersdown.net/content/531-Devil-May-Cry-3-Advanced-Technique-Guide-Royal-Guard

Archon473

I must note purchasing Volume Up and upgrading all attacks beyond Level 1 is imperative.

-Nevan is royalty when staggering enemies.
-Reverb Shock domesticates a number of enemies:
---Abyss get juggled for free; RS interrupts their vertical rising slash-into-projectile as they jump out of the pool on the ground
---Forward advances easily against Enigmas as Nevan's surrounding bats neutralize their arrows and earn massive Style points
---Dante can RS past Soul Eater mist. As they materialize, Nevan's bats will target them. Travelling through infested areas with Reverb Shock followed by Air Play is good.
-Bats count as projectiles, so Air Play is effective against Bloodgoyles
-DMC3 Dante when Devil Triggered heals faster with Nevan equipped
-Nevan + Swordmaster can kill Leviathan Heart Core in 29 seconds.

TheSeks

I'll have to play around with it, I guess. I don't have enough red orbs at the moment to level up everything since I'm going through with no items and barely any red orbs due to upgrading guns and arms. Probably a bad thing and I should replay some missions but I want to get all the weapons again. D:

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much done with the semester so I decided to pick resume my playthrough for trophies through these games.

Just got Fetish to jump on me after like 3 mins of trying. Shit sometimes takes hours for people

Made my day lol

Wonder what I was thinking through this playthrough though. Beat Nelo Angelo 2 and surprised that I had pretty much no Ifrit moves unlocked at this point.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The difficulty on DMC1 is insane, people bitch about 3 but I had a blast playing that game. The only bosses that ever gave me trouble were Agni & Rudra and Beowulf.

In DMC1 I've only played 5 missions and I'm already dreading the boss battles. The fucking spider took 3 of my yellow orbs! I'm gonna give this game another chance tomorrow, but if it's still as frustrating then it's going straight to EB as a trade.

You can't even save at the idols for fuck's sake!

BadWolf

Went back to DMC4 and liked it quite a bit more than my first time through (the backtracking was embarrassing). Nero is such a fun character to use, between the Devil Bringer and Red Queen reving.

Went through hard and am now on DMD and I just don't feel like going any further after being done with the first Santus fight. Its not that its been hard or anything to get to this point (fairly easy actually, dat Charge Shot 3) but pretty much all there is to look forward to from this point on is:

- backtrack all the way back to the beginning of the game
- fight the exact same enemies again
- fight the bosses again for a second and third time

Yuck.

TheSeks

The difficulty on DMC1 is insane, people bitch about 3 but I had a blast playing that game. The only bosses that ever gave me trouble were Agni & Rudra and Beowulf.

OMG YOU JUST SUCK BRAH</people when I said nearly the same damn thing about the difficulty curve and how it's "badly aged" DMC1> But yeah, DMC1's "Normal" is pretty insane at times. DMC3's can be frustrating but it's no where on the level of 1's.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Went back to DMC4 and liked it quite a bit more than my first time through (the backtracking was embarrassing). Nero is such a fun character to use, between the Devil Bringer and Red Queen reving.

Went through hard and am now on DMD and I just don't feel like going any further after being done with the first Santus fight. Its not that its been hard or anything to get to this point (fairly easy actually, dat Charge Shot 3) but pretty much all there is to look forward to from this point on is:

- backtrack all the way back to the beginning of the game
- fight the exact same enemies again
- fight the bosses again for a second and third time

Yuck.

Well, the plus is that you get to play as Dante on DMD mode. But yeah, those are some otherwise definite negatives. I don't mind fighiting the same enemies, or even the same bosses, but they needed to mix-up the environments and have some additional bosses.

The boss count itself is pretty low in the game, which gives further credence to the theory of the game being rushed to shelves.

Well, the plus is that you get to play as Dante on DMD mode. But yeah, those are some otherwise definite negatives. I don't mind fighiting the same enemies, or even the same bosses, but they needed to mix-up the environments and have some additional bosses.

The boss count itself is pretty low in the game, which gives further credence to the theory of the game being rushed to shelves.

I don't think anyone's ever accused DMC4 of being rushed. It didn't come out until three years after DMC3. It wasn't rushed; just very, very lazy.

mandas

Neo Member
I don't know if it was rushed or lazy but it always felt unfinished or like it was cut down. I absolutely loved playing it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think anyone's ever accused DMC4 of being rushed. It didn't come out until three years after DMC3. It wasn't rushed; just very, very lazy.

I've heard it was rushed many many times. They wanted to release the game as soon as possible on the new generation of consoles, and ended up modifying or cutting a lot of what was there to make the deadline.

DMC4 was a nice game created for the character Nero. Then Dante was added. Pretty much like adding Kain to Battletoads.

Dante's gameplay/moveset is still great, but yeah, the enemies are still very clearly built around Nero, which means that playing as Dante turns them into the same old sandbags in many ways.

FYC

Banned
I'm going to advise against the digital download PS3 version of this collection.

For the most part, it's fine, but there have been far too many times where DMC3 freezes(background music still plays, sometimes screen goes black) while opening a menu. Been doing boss runs on mission 18 and holy shit I want to scream when it happens. I can still use the XMB, don't know if it's my PS3 or not. It is a very old phatty but I don't get the impression that the PS3 is at fault. Does not happen often but when it does you will want to burn an orphanage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm going to advise against the digital download PS3 version of this collection.

For the most part, it's fine, but there have been far too many times where DMC3 freezes(background music still plays, sometimes screen goes black) while opening a menu. Been doing boss runs on mission 18 and holy shit I want to scream when it happens. I can still use the XMB, don't know if it's my PS3 or not. It is a very old phatty but I don't get the impression that the PS3 is at fault. Does not happen often but when it does you will want to burn an orphanage.

Wow, that really sucks. I've only played the 360 physical version. No issues at all. Good to know, though, so thanks for the heads up.

Kayo-kun

Just finished DMC3 a couple of days ago and it's as good as I remembered. Doesn't feel dated at all for me and I believe it's still the best hack and slash game (yes I've played Bayonetta).

I played the PS3 version (non-digital) and finished all three games, never had any issues. Another note, I finished DMC2 twice and played through it with both characters, am I crazy or what?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I played the PS3 version (non-digital) and finished all three games, never had any issues. Another note, I finished DMC2 twice and played through it with both characters, am I crazy or what?

Yes, you're crazy. Though I beat DMC2 twice for the achievements, too. :p

At least playing as Trish was kinda sorta okay.

Also, I just personally confirmed that the Kalina Ann grapple doesn't work properly in the HD Collection. It hits for damage, but doesn't pull the enemy. Weird.

Yes, you're crazy. Though I beat DMC2 twice for the achievements, too. :p

At least playing as Trish was kinda sorta okay.

Also, I just personally confirmed that the Kalina Ann grapple doesn't work properly in the HD Collection. It hits for damage, but doesn't pull the enemy. Weird.

You mean Lucia.

Top Bottom