• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

BooJoh

Here's my problem:

There are 91 NES games on Wii VC. There are 56 TG16 games.

If we assume we're going to get most of those on 3DS VC (minus the 3 available on the eShop already,) that's nearly 3 years worth of weekly VC releases, without touching the GB/GBC/GG library.

Even if TG16 never makes it to 3DS, we're still looking at a more than a year and a half of weekly VC releases with NES games alone.

Add in the GB, GBC, and Game Gear libraries and I see no reason for the current abysmally slow trickle of VC content on 3DS. We should be getting a VC game of some sort every week, and getting a piece of 3D software shouldn't be an excuse to hold back on them.

In the same vein, getting a VC title shouldn't be an excuse to not get a 3D title. I'd honestly like to see 3D titles come out when they're ready, and VC titles released weekly, with absolutely no bearing on each other. I'd like to see a VC title every week and 3D titles every 2-3 weeks, ramping up as third parties push more content.

Especially when we're watching other regions get games we want at a much faster pace than we're getting the scraps.

Just received a new Nintendo Points Card (yeah, they are still made, the pack contained a brand new leaflet with The Last Story), one of those that do not work on the eShop.

So what should I buy on WiiWare? (1300 points available)
Penta Tentacles? haven't warmed to it, yet
Art of Balance? love it, played it through twice
Rock'n'Roll Climber? (with balance board) no idea, have not played it
Maboshi? haven't warmed to it, yet
Rush Rush Rally Racing does also look interesting, but I cannot find much on it. no idea, have not played it

What about other titles? WiiWare demos are back up on there you know?
Tales of Monkey Island -> too expensive, PC version is cheaper better
Bit Trip games -> got the much cheaper retail version
Swords&Soldiers -> got the PC version via HIB

In general, I don't want to buy anything that's also out on PC and cheaper there; I'm not supporting Nintendo's ripoff tactics there.

Art of Balance is the best of those games, but you'll probably be better off waiting for the 3DSWare version since it apparently contains all 100 levels from the Wiiware version in addition to 100 new ones.

Good news after a crappy day, thanks :).

Nicalis, Inc. ‏ @nicalis

VVVVVV passed NOE's submission process. We're a couple of weeks out

Effect

Picked up Zen Pinball. Okay so far. I like playing pinball every now and then but so not sure how much I'll get out of this purchase in the end. Price wise it isn't to bad considering how much you'd drop on a real pinball machine and the fact you'd have to go out and find on. I do like the graphics and how it handles. It's just an issue of enjoyment and not price. It's easier to jump into a game when sitting in the car waiting for someone I'm finding then to jump into Rolling Western. Pushmo was easy as well but I'm pretty much done with that.

Thores

Is Kid Icarus 2 any fun?

It was one of my favorite GB games when I was a kid. Haven't played it since then, though. I'm going to buy it when it hits the US VC, to see if that particular pair of nostalgia glasses is rose-tinted or not.

Empty

Is this definite?

Figured they could move them to the Wii U, since it'll still use the Wiimote. The games are pretty good fun, if a little basic most of the time.

nah, i have no idea. i just meant we clearly aren't getting one right now given the time since two, wii-ware being so dead and frontier seemingly moving onto other stuff.

the first game is on ios now though which might help the series as i can't imagine winters of the medodias did that well. wii u is a good shout too using the new system to revive the series could work.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Picked up Zen Pinball. Okay so far. I like playing pinball every now and then but so not sure how much I'll get out of this purchase in the end. Price wise it isn't to bad considering how much you'd drop on a real pinball machine and the fact you'd have to go out and find on. I do like the graphics and how it handles. It's just an issue of enjoyment and not price. It's easier to jump into a game when sitting in the car waiting for someone I'm finding then to jump into Rolling Western. Pushmo was easy as well but I'm pretty much done with that.

I still think Zen Pinball is one of the posterchilds for 3DS's 3D gaming.
It's also a blast to play and priced fairly, I love it and it's actually the only version of Zen Studios pinball games that I really like. Can't wait for Pinball Arcade by Farsight Studios, I really hope the 3DS port hasn't been canned.
It worries me a bit we also haven't heard anything regarding ZP's DLC tables in like forever..

Randdalf

I'm kinda sad at how restrictive Nintendo's digital download policy seems to be, because it would be a great place for indie games, and yet they let through utter crap like myNotebook and I can't quite understand why?

The difference with the Wii VC and the 3DS is that the Wii VC had about 2 years of being just god damn awesome before it slowed down to the tickle of software it is now, the 3DS has been slow from day one. Wii VC launched with like 20 games or something, 3DS VC launched with 3.

Also the Wii had the VC from day 1, we had to wait a few months till the 3DS eShop was even up and running.

Thats the biggest one that got me with the 3DS, the Wii and even the DSi had online stores ready to go from day 1, we had to wait a few months before we got one on the 3DS.
Sad thing is, people used to bitch during the headdy days of Wii VC in 2006/2007/2008 too. And we got 3-5 VC games weekly back then, often one for each supported platform even.

Fucking hell, I would ritually sacrifice infants for a 5 game VC week!

I'm kinda sad at how restrictive Nintendo's digital download policy seems to be, because it would be a great place for indie games, and yet they let through utter crap like myNotebook and I can't quite understand why?
With the exception of XBLIG, which is its own thing really, Nintendo's DD services seem to be the most open to smaller developers. That's WHY you have stuff like myNotebook in tandem with Go! Go! Kokopolo. Look at PSN and XBLA now. It's mostly stuff from big publishers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
With the exception of XBLIG, which is its own thing really, Nintendo's DD services seem to be the most open to smaller developers. That's WHY you have stuff like myNotebook in tandem with Go! Go! Kokopolo. Look at PSN and XBLA now. It's mostly stuff from big publishers.
There were a lot of indie games, even some "1 person“ games on PSN from it's launch and even sporadically now. Mainly because there is no publisher restriction on PSN, you can self-publish.

Shiggy

Heh, me too :/.

What about DSiWare? Those old points count for those.

I don't have a DSi, so I just went with Penta Tentacles which turned out to be a wise choice. I'm really in love with it now.

Still, I'm thinking about buying a DSi just to get the DSiWare games for cheap - Nintendo Points Cards are always cheaper than eShop cards...

One of these days I should free up a plug for my AGS-101 and break it out again. I'm certainly not going to get much sympathy from Nintendo of America at this point, that's for sure, and seeing as I already own most of the games I'd want to rebuy...
Just to follow up on this two-day-old post of mine, I did just that today, only to find the battery in my copy of Wario Land 2 is dead. Great. :I

Guess repurchasing that might not be such a bad idea after all... if NoA ever bothers.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii | Virtual Console

Roto13

Just to follow up on this two-day-old post of mine, I did just that today, only to find the battery in my copy of Wario Land 2 is dead. Great. :I

Guess repurchasing that might not be such a bad idea after all... if NoA ever bothers.

Yeah. I'm pretty much assuming that my entire GAme Boy library is suffering in the same way. :/

Cactus

Banned

Yeah. I'm pretty much assuming that my entire GAme Boy library is suffering in the same way. :/

Changing the battery is actually pretty cheap and easy to do. Once you get a hold of some batteries, remove the screw from the cart and pry off the original battery. From that point, just tape the new one in the same spot and everything should work properly again.

Roto13

I bought 3D Classics Kid Icarus because I have a compulsion. I didn't even like the original version. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying this one. :p The new controls really make a difference. The backgrounds don't stick out as much as I thought they would either. Good stuff.

I also used the Club Nintendo survey for a sternly worded Virtual Console rant. So that's nice too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The original was a bit boring and too little for its price tag. I may get Winter of Melodias later though, perhaps I'll rather go with the iPad version then.
You'd rather get the botched version of a game you're otherwise unsure about?

backlot

MSF gets old rather quickly!

Think of it as mindless fun, 5 minute on the go game.

Kind of like Angry birds but with some platforming bits and some puzzles in between.

I disagree. If you're going for par time you've really got to think about what you're doing.

Glass Joe

I still think Zen Pinball is one of the posterchilds for 3DS's 3D gaming.
It's also a blast to play and priced fairly, I love it and it's actually the only version of Zen Studios pinball games that I really like. Can't wait for Pinball Arcade by Farsight Studios, I really hope the 3DS port hasn't been canned.
It worries me a bit we also haven't heard anything regarding ZP's DLC tables in like forever..

I picked up Zen Pinball last week and love it. 4 tables is a bit on the small side though so I do hope that talk of new tables materializes for 3DS. Also, maybe a patch that remembers the view you chose or lets you switch while paused. For some reason I always get thrown when I turn it on or move to a different table.

Well worth the money as-is though.

Roto13

LOL. The gist?

Oh, you know. It's been three months since we got a Game Boy game, other regions show there's room for both 3D games and Virtual Console games at the same time, their neglect of the service is inexcusable, the Virtual Console was a selling point on the 3DS for me, the same old thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh, you know. It's been three months since we got a Game Boy game, other regions show there's room for both 3D games and Virtual Console games at the same time, their neglect of the service is inexcusable, the Virtual Console was a selling point on the 3DS for me, the same old thing.
Nintendo makes it very easy for me to not care about the Wii U based on how they've handled their downloadable services and the whole Rainfall thing.

Sleepy

Excellent. I will use my post play survey to bitch and moan about the ambassador Zelda's-- as in, where the fuck are they?

Roto13

Nintendo makes it very easy for me to not care about the Wii U based on how they've handled their downloadable services and the whole Rainfall thing.

Eh, we got the best one and we're getting the other good one. And probably the boring one too. :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
4 tables is a bit on the small side though so I do hope that talk of new tables materializes for 3DS.

We'll be getting both new tables as DLC and another standalone game (Marvel Pinball) sometime this year, plus Pinball Arcade or whatever that other one is called is supposed to show up eventually, too.

Shiggy

You'd rather get the botched version of a game you're otherwise unsure about?

It's the price. I think 10€ for LW1 was a bit too much. In addition, I think the Wii controls for the game weren't that great either in the first place. While I don't know how they are on iOS (lack of interest), I prefer the portability of the iPad and the much cheaper price of software. There's a difference between buying a sequel for 10€ that you are unsure about and buying it for 0.79€.

We already know we're getting the boring one. Last Story was confirmed by Xseed.

That's the best Wii game that's been released in quite some time.

Top Bottom