• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Current Tournament Links
Ascension World Cup

First off big thanks to Heel for having the initiative to push for a massive iOS board-game thread, something that's been long needed.

My goal for this thread is that it will be an active hub for the big hitters like Carcassonne, Ascension, & Ticket to Ride, while also being a place to find gamers for some lesser-known but still awesome titles that haven't gotten enough love like Tigris & Euphrates and Samurai.

Wow, that sounds incredible. What do I have to do to participate in this awesomeness?
So glad I asked, thanks.

1. Enter your info in Heel's Google Doc spreadsheet. This spreadsheet will list your GC name and all the games you want to play, and allow you and others to create games across the iOS board-gaming universe. Only check games that you are up for getting invites to. And remember for all of these you don't need to know the game or be an expert at all, just up for playing. Check it regularly as new games will be added all the time and as expansions come out you can indicate you own them by writing O instead of X.

2. Send out invites to people based on Heel's spreadsheet and/or solicit people for games here.

3. Discuss anything iOS board-game related. Much like a Mountain Dew contest of some sort or auditions for a Spike TV game show, trash talking is encouraged. This thread isn't totally intended to get all board-game discussion out of the main thread, but be more focused on online board games since the main thread moves so fast. Much like the trash-talking thing, talking about board games in the main thread and linking to this thread where appropriate (i.e., someone looking for some pardnas for iOS boardgaming) are both heavily encouraged.

4. Play and learn games live with gaffers. If you want to participate in live gaming over multi-party video chat, PM me your Google+ profile. I'll add you to a circle called GAF Board Games, notify you, and then share that circle with the GAF board games group once we have a critical mass.

Board games are cool and all, but what are they?
Join us in The New Board Game Thread where we discuss all these games (tabletop editions mostly) on the very regular! iOS gaming thread is another good source for recommendations, as is this one.

With all that said, drop me mad invites to all the games I listed that I own!

I was going to put in a pitch here describing every game on that list, but I think better to rely on the list itself. There are a ton of great board games on iOS and new ones coming out every week. Even better most allow for asynchronous play so that as an on-the-go adult you can just let turns pile up and take them at your leisure without worrying about live gaming. My personal favs as of this writing are Carcassonne and Ascension, but I'm hugely up for trying literally anything I've X'd.

Current Game List (iTunes link is title, next link is BGG link for reviews etc. of the underlying game (where available, for tabletop games), Appshopper links for those waiting on price drops and adding to wishlists

Latest Releases (most recent first)
Nightfall / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Fealty / BGG Link

Board Games (Light)
Carcassonne / BGG Link / Appshopper link
Ticket to Ride / TTR Pocket / BGG Link / TtR Appshopper Link / TtR Pocket Appshopper Link
Samurai / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Blokus / Blokus HD / BGG Link / Blokus Appshopper Link / Blokus HD Appshopper Link
Ingenious / BGG Link / Appshopper LinkBang! / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Food Fight / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

Board Games (Medium)
Ascension: BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Ra / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Neuroshima Hex / BGG Link / Appshoper Link
Tikal / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
New World Colony / Appshopper Link
Hive / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Operation Eradicate (unofficially based on the board game Pandemic) / BGG Link / Appshopper link
Fealty / BGG Link
Nightfall / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

Board Games (Heavy)
Tigris & Euphrates / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Caylus / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Puerto Rico / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

Card Games (CCG-style)
Assassin's Creed Recollection / Appshopper Link
Cabals
Shadow Era TCG
Kard Combat / Appshopper Link

Card Boy

Banned
Astrolad is Food Fight any good?

Also what's the different between Monopoly Here and Now Edition for iPad and Monopoly for iPad?

Heel

Also what's the different between Monopoly Here and Now Edition for iPad and Monopoly for iPad?

That reminds me, there's a lot of games like Monopoly that I haven't added yet. Not sure how far we want to take it. How many games with online multiplayer could there be though?

Card Boy

Banned
I feel Wizards of the Coast are effectively lighting a match to a stack of money by not putting Magic 2013 on iOS devices. Huge missed opertunity.

IllumiNate

I feel Wizards of the Coast are effectively lighting a match to a stack of money by not putting Magic 2013 on iOS devices. Huge missed opertunity.

Ugh don't get me started on wizards, they currently have there hands full dealing with mtgo version 4.0. They are as slow as molasses.
I'd so be up for Mtg 2012/13 on iOS but it won't happen anytime soon I'm afraid

I'm on - before it gets too unwieldy in the document, would it be a good idea to add expansions,
e.g. Carc River, Carc Inns, TTR Pocket 1910.

I'm guessing there's expansions for Ascension too.

In. Quick look at the spreadsheet (only at 15) isn't surprising. Carc and Ascension up top, TtRP, Hero Academy and AC Rec coming up next. I have the latter but don't play it much. Wonder if people are just marking it as owned or willing to play, too.

LacK of Food Fight games makes sense now. And new world colony seems good for what it is, one guy trying to build something up. I'd have thought it would have been sold/owned by more.

Going back though my purchased list I saw Army of Frogs, from the guys who did Neuroshima Hex if that might be considered to be added. I actually never played it, but, it was free a few months ago so others may have it too.

Just recently got hooked on Ticket to Ride. Bought the iPad and iPhone version. I even got the XBLA on too, haha, for a friend.

sladeums

while i'm a total noob at most of those, and have never even played any ios game online; i added my info to the doc.

will also put in a plug for this site if you've never seen it:
http://ipadboardgames.org/

while i find the navigation a chore, and their definition of 'board game' a bit loose at times;
it is a pretty comprehensive compilation of reviews dedicated solely to iPad board games.
i'm almost certain if you take the tame to wander around for a bit you'll likely find a game you've never heard of that piques your interest.

Ugh don't get me started on wizards, they currently have there hands full dealing with mtgo version 4.0. They are as slow as molasses.
I'd so be up for Mtg 2012/13 on iOS but it won't happen anytime soon I'm afraid

yeah, I have zero confidence in WotC's ability to have a successful online initiative. between mtgo and ddi they really drop the ball in every region. I mean honestly their best work to date is probably their facebook game and the Duels of the Planeswalkers games they contracted out and didn't actually make themselves.

mercviper

Subbed. I'll have to check some of these out, like AC Recollection and Food Fight. I love blokus and thought about getting it, but it seems like nobody has it on iOS lol...

I'm salivating over the prospect of Twilight Struggle being released for the iOS. It must happen!

Also, someone needs to put Catan up on the spreadsheet.

Heel

while i'm a total noob at most of those, and have never even played any ios game online; i added my info to the doc.

will also put in a plug for this site if you've never seen it:
http://ipadboardgames.org/

while i find the navigation a chore, and their definition of 'board game' a bit loose at times;
it is a pretty comprehensive compilation of reviews dedicated solely to iPad board games.
i'm almost certain if you take the tame to wander around for a bit you'll likely find a game you've never heard of that piques your interest.

Used this to builk up the list last night. I'll have to go through it some more later.

Is KardCombat one worth putting in the spreadsheet?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kard-combat/id421061883?mt=8

Looks like the perfect candidate. I'll add it now.

Also, someone needs to put Catan up on the spreadsheet.

I had it on the spreadsheet last night, but after looking it up it seemed like there was no online play. Is it just local hotseat or what's the deal?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wow, there are lot more games available than I realized looking at that list in the spreadsheet.

Added my name for the ones I have...but the only one I'm actively playing right now are Shadow Era and Ticket to Ride. Would love to start playing some of these other games. Will have to check them out!

tm24

Is there an online resource to learn some of these games and maybe learn some advance tactics the tutorials don't cover?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just went to the spreadsheet and adding a bunch of people to GC as well as starting games with Carc & Ascension owners. Already paying off :D. People from the Carc & Ascension threads be sure to add your names!

Is there an online resource to learn some of these games and maybe learn some advance tactics the tutorials don't cover?

Yep boardgamegeek.com. Every game has strategy forums though honestly I think those are kinda unfun. If you go to the files section for each game though and sort by "Hot" you'll find some great teaching resources often. Also lots of reviews on that site for pretty much every single game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also, The Ascension and Carc expansions, must buys?

imo yes. not to have fun since there are plenty of people that don't have them but just if you like the games.

which reminds me: Heel we didn't think about expansions maybe you can put O next to name if you own expansions?

Please put O instead of X next to name if you own expansions (any or all) to give people a guide of what types of games to invite you to.

RubxQub

Perhaps a bit selfish of me to request, but do you think we could get a list of all the games in the OP with links to relevant info about each?

I'd love to click around and figure out which of these guys I'd like to buy so I can get in on the action. Doesn't have to be anything like pictures/reviews and stuff, just a link to the iTunes links would probably be fine and I could poke through the screenshots and read the user reviews.

Heel

Please put O instead of X next to name if you own expansions (any or all) to give people a guide of what types of games to invite you to.

Good idea. I thought that adding columns for every expansion would be a little too cluttered.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Perhaps a bit selfish of me to request, but do you think we could get a list of all the games in the OP with links to relevant info about each?

I'd love to click around and figure out which of these guys I'd like to buy so I can get in on the action. Doesn't have to be anything like pictures/reviews and stuff, just a link to the iTunes links would probably be fine and I could poke through the screenshots and read the user reviews.

Good idea. I added an iTunes link for each game, as well as a BGG link where available. We'll be constantly adding games to the list (next up: Nightfall).

If there are any bad links just let me know, even better give me the fixed link and I'll plug it in! :D Same for new games -- want us to add something just post the line per the format in the OP and then I'll add it there and Heel probably to the chart (presuming it falls within the thread's subject area).

RubxQub

Awesome! I have a bad feeling that my iTunes account is about to get hit with a lot of purchases when I get home...

Heel

Gonna bring this question from the iOS thread: Do we include stuff like Words with Friends, other word games, dominoes, chess? Not too much trouble adding more columns if there's interest, just not sure where to draw the line as far as games go.

Gonna have to add all these games on the spreadsheet to my AppShopper. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's a tricky one. To me the ideal is BGG-style games. Modern board games made into iOS version. The next layer would be CCG and board "style" games like a couple in the OP. I guess the question would be does it have a big enough community on its own and is it different enough from the core games. I believe WWF has its own thread for example and I didn't really envision going in there and shutting it down heh also I hate WWF :p. The rest, you know I guess it depends on the demand but I suppose why not as long as we don't get way far afield or start adding like 10 (or even 5) things every week. There's also a quality-control issue, I'd say there just shouldn't be anything below 3.5 stars so that it doesn't clutter out the good stuff if people are using the OP to browse. No harm in adding a few games though if they are board games and people want to use the spreadsheet to find matches as well as the thread. I'm especially sympathetic to async games -- live games a bit less so.

tm24

Gonna bring this question from the iOS thread: Do we include stuff like Words with Friends, other word games, dominoes, chess? Not too much trouble adding more columns if there's interest, just not sure where to draw the line as far as games go.

Gonna have to add all these games on the spreadsheet to my AppShopper. :)

Really, i think Hero's Academy is the cutting off point. Every other game has some board game elements that make it qualify on the list. HA is just a great strategy game that BG lovers would like

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also if your game has a wonky friends system just let us know and we'll see if we can get the spreadsheet to accomodate. For example, freaking Samurai has a totally separate friends list (and I think a lot of those CCGs do too), so in that case write X (Username -- only if different). It kinda janks up the look of the spreadsheet by adding a row for that extra info but it seems like the only good solution unless people want to use comments. So hopefully people have the same name across games. :D

Heel

That's a tricky one. To me the ideal is BGG-style games. Modern board games made into iOS version. The next layer would be CCG and board "style" games like a couple in the OP. I guess the question would be does it have a big enough community on its own and is it different enough from the core games. I believe WWF has its own thread for example and I didn't really envision going in there and shutting it down heh also I hate WWF :p. The rest, you know I guess it depends on the demand but I suppose why not as long as we don't get way far afield or start adding like 10 (or even 5) things every week. There's also a quality-control issue, I'd say there just shouldn't be anything below 3.5 stars so that it doesn't clutter out the good stuff if people are using the OP to browse. No harm in adding a few games though if they are board games and people want to use the spreadsheet to find matches as well as the thread. I'm especially sympathetic to async games -- live games a bit less so.

Oh I didn't even know there was a WWF thread. Nevermind on that. Yeah at its core I think the spreadsheet should be BGG/CCG style games. Eventually I'll sort the columns by popularity so it's easier to navigate. Maybe add another column for the user names on the other side of the spreadsheet too. Once things settle in I don't think we'll be adding tons of games.

Really, i think Hero's Academy is the cutting off point. Every other game has some board game elements that make it qualify on the list. HA is just a great strategy game that BG lovers would like

Haha yeah I knew I was pushing it with that one, just figured it would be a popular request.

Also if your game has a wonky friends system just let us know and we'll see if we can get the spreadsheet to accomodate. For example, freaking Samurai has a totally separate friends list (and I think a lot of those CCGs do too), so in that case write X (Username -- only if different). It kinda janks up the look of the spreadsheet by adding a row for that extra info but it seems like the only good solution unless people want to use comments. So hopefully people have the same name across games. :D

Hmmm would have to think what the best solution would be. That'll do for now.

Feel bad bringing up Army of Frogs, I can't connect to their multiplayer. Keeps giving me a disconnected message. Anyone been able to connect?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I didn't even know there was a WWF thread. Nevermind on that. Yeah at it's core I think the spreadsheet should be BGG/CCG style games. Eventually I'll sort the columns by popularity so it's easier to navigate. Maybe add another column for the user names on the other side of the spreadsheet too. Once things settle in I don't think we'll be adding tons of games.

Yeah on the radar for the near future are Nightfall, Agricola, Dominion, and a couple others I believe. Actually some pretty heavy hitters. But after a few of those come out should be fairly calm. I'm guessing Dominion will definitely light up the thread for a while as long as the implementation is good. And hopefully Agricola too -- complex but one of my personal favorites.

Agricola? Nice, I love that game. You are the bringer of great news, Cat Power person!

Now all we'll need is Twilight Struggle. Greatest game ever? Greatest game ever.

tm24

Since Heel said he was going to add the games to his wishlist on appshopper, i decided to make the process easier for everyone and did this. If AstroLad would edit the OP, that would be great.

Current Game List (iTunes link is title, next link is BGG link for reviews etc. of the underlying game (where available, for tabletop games), Appshopper links for those waiting on price drops and adding to wishlists
Carcassonne / BGG Link / Appshopper link
Ascension: BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Ticket to Ride / TTR Pocket / BGG Link / TtR Appshopper Link / TtR Pocket Appshopper Link
Ra / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Tigris & Euphrates / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Neuroshima Hex / BGG Link / Appshoper Link
Assassin's Creed Recollection / Appshopper Link
Samurai / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Caylus / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Tikal / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Hero Academy
Puerto Rico / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Cabals
New World Colony / Appshopper Link
Nightfall / BGG Link
Hive / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Blokus / BGG Link /Appshopper Link
Ingenious / BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Shadow Era TCG
Kard Combat / Appshopper Link
Army of Frogs / Army of Frogs Appshopper Link / Army of Frogs HD Appshopper Link

Heel

Since Heel said he was going to add the games to his wishlist on appshopper, i decided to make the process easier for everyone and did this.

Nice! The worst part of looking through AppShopper was all of the price drops I missed this month. I'm a sucker for a good sale, haha. Dat Steam effect!

octobot

Added myself to the spreadsheet and picked up Carcassonne. Always up for games of anything i have! (ios boardgaming is just as addictive as physical stuff:)

Whoa

Whoa

Whoa

Whoa

Whoa

Why did no one tell me Nightfall had an iOS release

GRCIm.gif

EDIT: wait, not on the store? Is it in development?

Top Bottom