• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Heel
Member
(04-05-2012, 05:07 PM)
Heel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mike Works

Bah, this new thread sucks if you only play one board game. This whole GAF COMMUNITY bullshit has really fucked up these forums' efficiency.

/vent mostly aimed at GAF and not this thread specifically

Why are you complaining if you haven't added yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP? You'd have the same, hell even better opportunity to send and receive invites to any board game thanks to this thread. You can post freely about any specific game too, and now you have more people able to read and respond to you. What's the problem with that exactly?

Maybe the spreadsheet isn't visible enough in the OP and people don't get it?
RaySpencer
Member
(04-05-2012, 05:39 PM)
RaySpencer's Avatar
Damn, DukeSucks beat me bad in ascension. It was weird playing with just the standard deck. Good match.
Gatekeeper
Member
(04-05-2012, 05:44 PM)
Sorry Astro. I don't have TTRp. I don't yet know if I want to double dip on it.
Heel
Member
(04-05-2012, 05:46 PM)
Heel's Avatar

Originally Posted by biggyfries

Heel, I have been learning Food Fight for a while, too. I like it on iOS, but I'm afraid that playing the analog version will be a bit harder.

Since we're both learning, maybe I can set some time aside soon and play a quick game. Or, is it async?

I'm not sure how the multiplayer works but I'd be down. This is probably my last day on iOS for a week or two though.
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-05-2012, 05:47 PM)
AstroLad's Avatar
Ah crap misread the spreadsheet!
Slacker
Member
(04-05-2012, 06:02 PM)
Elder Signs update is UP. Downloading now. :)

New stuff:

•In-app purchases for new Ancient Ones
•All new Cthulhu campaign (In-app purchase)
-Over 30 new adventures
-10 new monsters
-4 new investigators
-Unlockable bonus investigator
-New Map with all new gameplay features
•All new free Yig campaign
•Free unlockable investigator
•Larger investigation glyphs
•New Gameplay Options
-Skip Transitions
-Audio Fading
-Low Res Texture option
•Monster and Task info added
•Reduced RAM requirements
•Bug and Crash fixes

Cthulhu expansion is three bucks.
Last edited by Slacker; 04-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Mike Works
(04-05-2012, 06:35 PM)
Mike Works's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heel

Why are you complaining if you haven't added yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP? You'd have the same, hell even better opportunity to send and receive invites to any board game thanks to this thread. You can post freely about any specific game too, and now you have more people able to read and respond to you. What's the problem with that exactly?

Maybe the spreadsheet isn't visible enough in the OP and people don't get it?

The only game I own on that list is Carcassonne, and the old Carcassonne thread had a list of people's GameCenter ID's as well. So, from a personal standpoint, the only difference now is whenever I go to check this thread for new posts, odds are it's going to be about some game I don't own or care about.

But again, I'm upset more with GAF's general direction more than I am with this thread, and I understand the purpose and positives in a consolidated board game thread.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo
Member
(04-05-2012, 06:47 PM)
joeyjoejoeshabadoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slacker

Elder Signs update is UP. Downloading now. :)

New stuff:

•In-app purchases for new Ancient Ones
•All new Cthulhu campaign (In-app purchase)
-Over 30 new adventures
-10 new monsters
-4 new investigators
-Unlockable bonus investigator
-New Map with all new gameplay features
•All new free Yig campaign
•Free unlockable investigator
•Larger investigation glyphs
•New Gameplay Options
-Skip Transitions
-Audio Fading
-Low Res Texture option
•Monster and Task info added
•Reduced RAM requirements
•Bug and Crash fixes

Cthulhu expansion is three bucks.

Nice. I'll download it when I get home.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(04-05-2012, 07:13 PM)
Smiley90's Avatar
Is Food Fight multiplayer async or real time? I'm scared of starting a game without having time lol.

Also dang, that Carc game was close, the last field was the decisive factor. Ended up better than I expected lol.
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-05-2012, 07:17 PM)
AstroLad's Avatar

Originally Posted by wanders

Damn i'm so jealous. Android doesn't offer all of these great games :<

The async isn't there but there's some good ones:
-Elder Signs
-Carcassonne
-Through the Ages
-Androminion (best Dominion clone on any device)

There's a San Juan clone that's pretty good too.
tm24
Member
(04-05-2012, 07:26 PM)
tm24's Avatar
Androminion is a pretty great name, not gonna lie
Heel
Member
(04-05-2012, 07:45 PM)
Heel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mike Works

The only game I own on that list is Carcassonne, and the old Carcassonne thread had a list of people's GameCenter ID's as well. So, from a personal standpoint, the only difference now is whenever I go to check this thread for new posts, odds are it's going to be about some game I don't own or care about.

But again, I'm upset more with GAF's general direction more than I am with this thread, and I understand the purpose and positives in a consolidated board game thread.

Ah, well, seems like a pretty minor inconvenience in favor of revitalizing the community and bringing more people into the fold. Originally had all the information from the old Carc user list on the new spreadsheet, but decided to start from scratch to be sure everyone was active. Add your name to the list for Carc and we'll get some games going.

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Also dang, that Carc game was close, the last field was the decisive factor. Ended up better than I expected lol.

So close! At least I know I can hang in there with you guys. Unless AstroLad was going easy on us. :)
DukeSucks
Member
(04-05-2012, 09:08 PM)
DukeSucks's Avatar

Originally Posted by RaySpencer

Damn, DukeSucks beat me bad in ascension. It was weird playing with just the standard deck. Good match.

I wasn't sure that I won at first, lol. Still have no real idea at strategy yet other than I'm trying to get cards that prolong my turn. What should I be doing in regards to construct cards? Playing smiley and he has like 6 to my none, so I think that will be a blowout at end-game.

I do like this game a lot, especially for having never played a card game before. Probably will be buying the expansion soon.
octobot
Junior Member
(04-05-2012, 09:24 PM)
What is everyone's most anticipated upcoming iOS boardgame release? For myself I can't wait for dominant species, I love that game and look forward to being able to play more.
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-05-2012, 09:37 PM)
AstroLad's Avatar

Originally Posted by octobot

What is everyone's most anticipated upcoming iOS boardgame release? For myself I can't wait for dominant species, I love that game and look forward to being able to play more.

What's in the pipeline?

Here's what I'm aware of:
-Nightfall
-Innovation
-Bunch of euros I'm forgetting atm....

Be interested to hear what else is up. Neuroshima Hex update is definitely a big one for me.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(04-05-2012, 09:43 PM)
Smiley90's Avatar

Originally Posted by DukeSucks

I wasn't sure that I won at first, lol. Still have no real idea at strategy yet other than I'm trying to get cards that prolong my turn. What should I be doing in regards to construct cards? Playing smiley and he has like 6 to my none, so I think that will be a blowout at end-game.

I do like this game a lot, especially for having never played a card game before. Probably will be buying the expansion soon.

There are a few valid strategies, but it really all comes down to what cards show up when.

Lots of monster cards -> You can try to end the game REALLY quick, before your opponent can stack up cards.

Lots of construct -> Especially mechana constructs can combo up REALLY badly, and you'll just get blown out real bad if the opponent gets his hand on the good stuff, because they essentially get any card they want any turn with all the free stuff and get so much card-draw.

Lifebound -> Imho only works well if you get your hand on the staff/multiples of the staff, then try to get a LOT of conversion into stars.

there's more, but these are off the top of my head

Originally Posted by AstroLad

What's in the pipeline?

Here's what I'm aware of:
-Nightfall
-Innovation
-Bunch of euros I'm forgetting atm....

Be interested to hear what else is up. Neuroshima Hex update is definitely a big one for me.


+ the official Dominion app, even though the developers are doing a REALLY crappy job at interacting with the community/advertising. The game mechanics itself should more than make up for it though, I don't see a way they could screw that up.

Also, Summoner Wars and Agricola from playdek should also come out in the next 1,2 months.

Otherwise, totally agree with those.
JPBrowncoat
Member
(04-05-2012, 10:37 PM)
JPBrowncoat's Avatar
Nightfall
Just bought it.
sladeums
Member
(04-05-2012, 10:39 PM)
sladeums's Avatar
Nightfall / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

$4.99
tm24
Member
(04-05-2012, 10:40 PM)
tm24's Avatar
And bought!
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-05-2012, 10:40 PM)
AstroLad's Avatar
oh snap! updated OP and updated myself in the spreadsheet.

let's try to get some nightfall action going soon :D

one protip: if you've put yourself down for a game, be sure you've opened it. don't think the system sends push notifications until you give the app permission
Last edited by AstroLad; 04-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Heel
Member
(04-05-2012, 10:59 PM)
Heel's Avatar
Nice! There's already a slot for Nightfall in column R of the spreadsheet. I'll join you guys sooner or later. :)
sladeums
Member
(04-05-2012, 11:05 PM)
sladeums's Avatar
i'm stuck at work for at least another hour ...
but i'ma bust a damn finger buying that when i get home
for sure
Got the Shakes
Member
(04-05-2012, 11:45 PM)
Got the Shakes's Avatar

Originally Posted by sladeums

Nightfall / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

$4.99

Will be buying it, but I've never played before so I need to learn the ropes.
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-05-2012, 11:48 PM)
AstroLad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Got the Shakes

Will be buying it, but I've never played before so I need to learn the ropes.

I read the rules last night, did the tutorial, and I think I need to read the rules again. :p
Got the Shakes
Member
(04-05-2012, 11:52 PM)
Got the Shakes's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroLad

I read the rules last night, did the tutorial, and I think I need to read the rules again. :p

Buying an iPad is what got me into board games (except for Carc), so while I've heard of most of these games, I've never played the physical versions so it will take me a minute to learn everything.
tm24
Member
(04-06-2012, 12:10 AM)
tm24's Avatar

Originally Posted by Got the Shakes

Buying an iPad is what got me into board games (except for Carc), so while I've heard of most of these games, I've never played the physical versions so it will take me a minute to learn everything.

We're in the same boat. Gotta learn the hard way! Trial by fire!
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-06-2012, 12:12 AM)
AstroLad's Avatar
I need to re-read the rules to Food Fight too. But I don't mind playing before I've learned. Have done that tons on yucata.de as well.
RaySpencer
Member
(04-06-2012, 01:49 AM)
RaySpencer's Avatar
Woooo! I love waking up to a new game to play. Now to figure out wtf this nightfall game is all about.
octobot
Junior Member
(04-06-2012, 01:52 AM)
Picked up nightfall. Know nothing about the game, but am up for invites!
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-06-2012, 01:57 AM)
AstroLad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiley90

+ the official Dominion app, even though the developers are doing a REALLY crappy job at interacting with the community/advertising. The game mechanics itself should more than make up for it though, I don't see a way they could screw that up.

Also, Summoner Wars and Agricola from playdek should also come out in the next 1,2 months.

Otherwise, totally agree with those.

Ooh forgot about all those. The Dominion one has me a touch worried. Why can't the Carcassonne guys just develop everything? :/

Summoner Wars I'm not a huge fan of but I have a feeling it will be like Thunderstone where the digital version far outclasses the tabletop for me thanks to async and implementation of rules. Agricola is one of my favorite games ever, so yeah....
vaelic
Banned
(04-06-2012, 02:10 AM)
vaelic's Avatar
send me invites for carcassone! vaelic is my game center name
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(04-06-2012, 02:20 AM)
Smiley90's Avatar
NIGHTFALL IS OUT, EVERYBODY REJOICE.

Buying and downloading as soon as I'm home, then I'll hit you all up with invites, learn the game in an all-around noobfest, like a boss. Couldn't play that much today because i had work, and that involves gloves, so I try to get turns in when I have to change gloves lol.
RaySpencer
Member
(04-06-2012, 02:23 AM)
RaySpencer's Avatar
I think I'm most looking forward to the penny arcade deck builder game, I've played the physical version, and loved the shit outa it, so I can't wait for that. Another one I can't wait for is Race for the Galaxy, I bought the box a year or so ago, enjoyed it, but only played it once, haha.


As for nightfall, it seems interesting so far, but really confusing right now, haha. I wonder if ascension was this confusing when I first played that. It's been so long I don't remember.
vaelic
Banned
(04-06-2012, 02:25 AM)
vaelic's Avatar
this seems like a slick site with ipad game reviews: http://toucharcade.com/
tm24
Member
(04-06-2012, 02:33 AM)
tm24's Avatar
I've lost like 4 games of ascension to Galvatron by like 12 pts combined. Rage

Also, nightfall is kinda confusing
Got the Shakes
Member
(04-06-2012, 02:35 AM)
Got the Shakes's Avatar
Holy hell! I actually pulled out a 4 man game of Carc! Good game guys.
octobot
Junior Member
(04-06-2012, 02:39 AM)
Went through the tutorial for Nightfall and then won my first match against an easy ai. I like it. The moon chain mechanic is neat. Just a matter of learning cards and combos. Looking forward to some online matches!
Heel
Member
(04-06-2012, 02:46 AM)
Heel's Avatar
Operation Eradicate (unofficially based on the board game Pandemic) / BGG Link / Appshopper link

On sale for $1.99.
Yaboosh
Member
(04-06-2012, 02:49 AM)
Yaboosh's Avatar
Do the mechanics of Nightfall seem well suited for async play? It seems like the chains would take forever to complete when played async.
AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(04-06-2012, 03:11 AM)
AstroLad's Avatar
I noticed one thing about TTR Pocket -- the notifications show up in my notifications menu but usually not on the icon. Weird but just a heads-up.

Originally Posted by Got the Shakes

Holy hell! I actually pulled out a 4 man game of Carc! Good game guys.

Yeah that was a fresh game even though I lost like 40 Elo for finishing 3rd. Lots of close games today.
Heel
Member
(04-06-2012, 03:26 AM)
Heel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heel

Operation Eradicate (unofficially based on the board game Pandemic) / BGG Link / Appshopper link

On sale for $1.99.

Hmmm nevermind? It went right back to $3.99 when I was about to buy it, haha.

Good Carc games guys!
jessecuster
Member
(04-06-2012, 03:43 AM)
jessecuster's Avatar
Time for me to learn Nightfall, too!
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(04-06-2012, 03:49 AM)
Smiley90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heel

Hmmm nevermind? It went right back to $3.99 when I was about to buy it, haha.

Good Carc games guys!

The sale started a few days ago, I mentioned it back then... Maybe it ended now?
AirBrian
(04-06-2012, 03:56 AM)
AirBrian's Avatar
Always up for Carc games.

GC = AirBrian
Heel
Member
(04-06-2012, 04:13 AM)
Heel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiley90

The sale started a few days ago, I mentioned it back then... Maybe it ended now?

Nah, I got an AppShopper alert that it had dropped. It's back to $1.99 again. Bought!
Yaboosh
Member
(04-06-2012, 04:22 AM)
Yaboosh's Avatar
I am in on Nightfall. Lots of cards and effects, but eh, seems ok. Lets get some games going.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(04-06-2012, 04:30 AM)
Smiley90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yaboosh

I am in on Nightfall. Lots of cards and effects, but eh, seems ok. Lets get some games going.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is happening, then I'll dive into online games lol.
Yaboosh
Member
(04-06-2012, 04:34 AM)
Yaboosh's Avatar
How do you add friends in Nightfall?
sladeums
Member
(04-06-2012, 04:42 AM)
sladeums's Avatar
I'm up for some Nightfall

AstroLad, Fealty keeps sayin you forfeit . . .??
biocat
Member
(04-06-2012, 04:44 AM)
biocat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smiley90

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is happening, then I'll dive into online games lol.

Haha. It took me a while before I even understood how I beat the tutorial game.

Thread Tools