(04-04-2012, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by disappeared

"How much do you like the name?"

"How much more do you like the name?"

I don't know what you're trying to say.
maquiladora
(04-04-2012, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by salromano

I think the survey is fake. Why would Sony have an Xbox 360 controller headlining its survey?

Survey is 3rd party. That image is probably on their generic "game survey" template.
gkryhewy
(04-04-2012, 02:17 AM)
This seems like a terrible idea. Sony doesn't have the character IP to pull this off.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(04-04-2012, 02:20 AM)

Originally Posted by gkryhewy

This seems like a terrible idea. Sony doesn't have the character IP to pull this off.

They do have many great characters.
hey_it's_that_dog
benevolent sexism
(04-04-2012, 02:31 AM)

Come on, man, they got Kratos and Jack/Daxter/Ratchet/Clank, an ice cream truck, Wander, all the colossi, that horse, Ico and Yorda as a tag team character, the guy who plays the lounge music in the Gran Turismo menus, Mr. Syphon Filter, Sly and friends, sackboy, the rubber sackboy from Mod Nation, Nathan Drake and friends, a brown person who gets shot by the aforementioned mass murderers... the list goes on and on.
Last edited by hey_it's_that_dog; 04-04-2012 at 02:35 AM.
rouken
(04-04-2012, 02:39 AM)
can they really pull this off?
i can't think of something they would do for this to be not a super smash bros clone. and the list character roster sony has are hilarious compared to nintendo.
i can't imagine kratos really being appropriate to play as given his nature to kill everyone but now that i think about it, drake has a nature of killing everyone too. lol
BassForever
(04-04-2012, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by hey_it's_that_dog

Come on, man, they got Kratos and Jack/Daxter/Ratchet/Clank, an ice cream truck, Wander, all the colossi, that horse, Ico and Yorda as a tag team character, the guy who plays the lounge music in the Gran Turismo menus, Mr. Syphon Filter, Sly and friends, sackboy, the rubber sackboy from Mod Nation, Nathan Drake and friends, a brown person who gets shot by the aforementioned mass murderers... the list goes on and on.

Yes but only a few of them have real star appeal (Kratos, Drake, LBP kinda) in terms of general audience excitement. I know personally I wouldn't have mentioned half the characters you listed, not because I haven't played/enjoyed those games, but I don't really think of them as big Sony first party characters. Even then neither Kratos or Drake has the draw of a character like Mario or Link, heck I don't even think they have as much draw as Master Chief.

Edit: On second though you were probably being sarcastic so I feel dumb :X
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(04-04-2012, 02:50 AM)
The game is most likely,I did a survey for Little Big Karting awhile back before it was announced .
AgentChris
(04-04-2012, 02:53 AM)
Horrible title. Needs some shorter and unique. This title is super generic.
AAK
(04-04-2012, 02:53 AM)
Playstation Battle Opera is still the best name
iKeepPlaying
Banned
(04-04-2012, 02:55 AM)

Yeah, no one cares if the game is fun or somewhat challenging.

No wonder Smash Bros. series have a certain kind of fanbase.
WillyFive
(04-04-2012, 03:00 AM)

As long as they can make a great and addicting game, then the game will give the characters what they need.
KillerAJD
(04-04-2012, 03:05 AM)

Not my photo. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was the one who leaked it to the blog. I'm just confirming that survey exists. I took the survey. Not the photo. I'm only talking about it because it's already leaked.

Also, I don't see how a printscreen would appear more legit. Wouldn't that be easier to fake perfectly in photoshop than an offscreen pic?

Also took the same survey. Said Drake, Kratos, Ratchet, and Parappa (at least anyways) are in the game. Also said each character had their own specials. I took pictures as well but decided to not upload them. And the reason you don't take screen caps is because some of the surveys are able to check for it, and if it catches you, it boots you out of the survey, lol.
Last edited by KillerAJD; 04-04-2012 at 03:08 AM.
injurai
(04-04-2012, 03:08 AM)

Originally Posted by AAK

PainStation: Fisticuffs Unite
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(04-04-2012, 03:13 AM)

Sarcasm aside, I do think they have good character for the game

Toro/Kruo (Playstation mascot),Sackboy (fake mascot) Alundra,Arc,Sir Daniel Fortsque,Spike (and Specter), Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth,Kratos,Rau Utu,Nariko,Jennifer Tate,Kat, Ellen (and Keats),Ari (and Stan), Jak (and daxter),Sly Cooper,Cole McGrath,Ratchet (and Clank and Captain Qwark),Nathan Drake,ICO ..they are all pretty good imho (there are many more I can't remember right now),hell they can pull it even without any extra third party characters.
Last edited by Totobeni; 04-04-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Catalix
And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
(04-04-2012, 03:32 AM)
I'll agree that "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale" is at least better than "Title Fight."

Quite a mouthful though.

Originally Posted by AAK

Doubt anything will top that. It just pops.
jett
(04-04-2012, 03:34 AM)
Can't Sony think of a halfway decent name for this thing?
Gravijah
(04-04-2012, 03:36 AM)

Originally Posted by jett

playstation the fighters
iKeepPlaying
Banned
(04-04-2012, 03:36 AM)

Mail Sony, and redirect them to this thread. Complaining here about it won't do any good.
hey_it's_that_dog
benevolent sexism
(04-04-2012, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Totobeni

Sarcasm aside, I do think they have good character for the game

Toro/Kruo (Playstation mascot),Sackboy (fake mascot) Alundra,Arc,Sir Daniel Fortsque,Spike (and Specter), Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth,Kratos,Rau Utu,Nariko,Jennifer Tate,Kat, Ellen (and Keats),Ari (and Stan), Jak (and daxter),Sly Cooper,Cole McGrath,Ratchet (and Clank and Captain Qwark),Nathan Drake,ICO ..they are all pretty good imho (there are many more I can't remember right now),hell they can pull it even without any extra third party characters.

Sarcasm aside, I totally agree that they have enough to work with. It probably still wouldn't be as popular as Smash Bros, but not a lot of things are.

Originally Posted by AAK

Pretend I'm an American who knows nothing about anything Japanese. WTF is a Battle Opera?

The current name is dull, but it's understandable without any additional context.
Last edited by hey_it's_that_dog; 04-04-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Acrylic7
(04-04-2012, 03:41 AM)
Horrible name.
Last edited by Acrylic7; 04-04-2012 at 03:49 AM.
WillyFive
(04-04-2012, 03:42 AM)

Pretend I'm an American who knows nothing about anything Japanese. WTF is a Battle Opera?

Battle Opera is not Japanese....

Battle = fight

Opera = show

Not much context is needed.
Slamtastic
(04-04-2012, 03:44 AM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tougeki...r_Battle_Opera
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Playstation Battle Opera is a terrible name. Not as terrible as Title Fight though.
disappeared
PlayStation Bargain Bin in Six Three Months
jett
(04-04-2012, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by iKeepPlaying

Mail Sony, and redirect them to this thread. Complaining here about it won't do any good.

Not like they're gonna listen to me. :P

They should just drop the Playstation name from the title. It's not like Smash Bros is called Nintendo Generic Fighting Name.
WillyFive
(04-04-2012, 03:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Combichristoffersen

Playstation Battle Opera is a terrible name. Not as terrible as Title Fight though.

All three are poor.

But we have no one to blame for ourselves.

Not like they're gonna listen to me. :P

They should just drop the Playstation name from the title. It's not like Smash Bros is called Nintendo Generic Fighting Name.

Yeah, the Playstation name needs to go.
shinobi602
Banned
(04-04-2012, 03:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Ponn01

I still do not get this title. Who asked for it? Who thought it was a good idea? This is the title you point to when talking about developers going under for bad decisions or publishers losing money for bad decisons. This screams hey look, capcom is selling fighting games lets everyone make one and milk the genre to death again yayyy! I swear is the gaming industry fated to repeat every mistake over and over again?

Huh? Having a Smash Bros. Sony version would be incredible...
Toxicplatypus
battle opera would probably be the best possible name...
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Originally Posted by Willy105

All three are poor.

But we have no one to blame for ourselves.

Call it Battle Royale and put a Nissan Skyline on the cover and call it a day
jiggle
(04-04-2012, 03:48 AM)
needs 3rd party characters!
Acrylic7
(04-04-2012, 03:49 AM)
wouldn't it be better for Sony to use "Sony" instead of PlayStation
PlayStation is restrictive because it only has to do with characters associated with PlayStation games. But if you use Sony then this opens the roster up a bit more, right? Maybe they can through in characters from their movies? I'm really just saying this because Sony sounds a hell of a lot better.

or Just drop PlayStation
Tuck
(04-04-2012, 03:50 AM)
Title lacks personality.

Nintendo didn't call Super Smash bros 'Nintendo All-Stars Smash.' They didn't have to.
boingball
(04-04-2012, 03:52 AM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

They really need to execute on the marketing for this one.

Sony executing on marketing? Keep on dreaming.
jiggle

Originally Posted by Acrylic7

PlayStation is restrictive because it only has to do with characters associated with PlayStation games. But if you use Sony then this opens the roster up a bit more, right? Maybe they can through in characters from their movies? I'm really just saying this because Sony sounds a hell of a lot better.

or Just drop PlayStation

you think sony actually have that kind of corporate synergy?
FatBaby
I don't know about you guys, but I sorta liked the name Title Fight.

Simple and to the point.
Catalix
And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
(04-04-2012, 03:55 AM)

or Just drop PlayStation

Sony's Grand Brand Slam?
Acrylic7
(04-04-2012, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by jiggle

you think sony actually have that kind of corporate synergy?

yeah you're right. Wish they weren't so jumbled up and ... stupid.
hey_it's_that_dog
benevolent sexism
(04-04-2012, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Willy105

Battle Opera is not Japanese....

Battle = fight

Opera = show

Not much context is needed.

I googled Battle Opera and all the results seemed to be related to Tougeki, which sounds pretty Japanese to me.

People know what a battle is an what an opera is, but putting them together is classic Japanese word salad and that's not how games are titled anymore. Personally I don't care what it's called, I'm basing my judgment solely on market considerations.

Now that I'm thinking about it, "Title Fight" is simple and mildly clever due to the two meanings (if you want to grant that "title" is an intentional allusion to the titles in the Sony library) and even if a person is too dumb to notice the second meaning, the single entendre is completely understandable and relevant.
Last edited by hey_it's_that_dog; 04-04-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Acrylic7
(04-04-2012, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Catalix

Sony's Grand Brand Slam?

Sony vS Seeker (yup, ripped straight from PkMN)
Sony Thrash Bros, lol
Sony Thrash Tournament
Sony All-stare Tournament
lol I dunno

anythings better than PlayStation All-star Battle Royal
Penguin
(04-04-2012, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by FatBaby

I don't know about you guys, but I sorta liked the name Title Fight.

Simple and to the point.

To me, at least.. Title Fight makes me think of boxing.

Which isn't bad, but odd connection/stretch for this title.
Fine Ham Abounds
(04-04-2012, 04:01 AM)
Sony Entertainment Network Battle Masters and All-Star Commanders The Far Side of the World Royale The Online Multiplayer Battle Experience .com

Less is more I think.
bigtroyjon
(04-04-2012, 04:01 AM)

or Just drop PlayStation

Using Sony characters instead of just Playstation is such a good idea that we will never see it come from Sony.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(04-04-2012, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by KillerAJD

Also took the same survey. Said Drake, Kratos, Ratchet, and Parappa (at least anyways) are in the game. Also said each character had their own specials. I took pictures as well but decided to not upload them. And the reason you don't take screen caps is because some of the surveys are able to check for it, and if it catches you, it boots you out of the survey, lol.

Sounds about right I am sure we will see Sackboy,Cole and Kevin butler :P

No look crossbow attack!
Hydrogen Bluebird
(04-04-2012, 04:05 AM)
Playstation Powerslam
TwizzlerScribble
(04-04-2012, 04:08 AM)
The new name reminds me of Smash 64's japanese title: "Nintendo All Star! Great Melee Smash Brothers."
Slamtastic
(04-04-2012, 04:09 AM)
Will Kuro have an infinite in this game?

Originally Posted by TwizzlerScribble

The new name reminds me of Smash 64's japanese title: "Nintendo All Star! Great Melee Smash Brothers."

DAIRANTOU SMASHU BROTHERS ECKSSU
ColdBlooder
Banned
(04-04-2012, 04:09 AM)

Originally Posted by salromano

I think the survey is fake. Why would Sony have an Xbox 360 controller headlining its survey?

This looks ALOT like the Club Nintendo question page when you register a downloaded e-Shop/Wiiware game...
SmithnCo
(04-04-2012, 04:10 AM)

Sony vS Seeker (yup, ripped straight from PkMN)
Sony Thrash Bros, lol
Sony Thrash Tournament
Sony All-stare Tournament
lol I dunno

anythings better than PlayStation All-star Battle Royal

Thrash is a little too on-the-nose. Might as well call it Ultra Thrash Kin: Rumble.

This name is just kinda generic, but it's not terrible. "All-Stars" might be unnecessary (and reminds me of Sega All-Stars) but whatever.

The "Sony doesn't have a big enough roster" claims are still ridiculous. They have plenty of recognizable characters.
Last edited by SmithnCo; 04-04-2012 at 04:14 AM.
prwxv3
(04-04-2012, 04:10 AM)
I want this to be real just for all the butthurt and rage it would cause from everyone that gets mad at the mere thought that a company other then Nintendo would make a crossover fighter similar to smash bros.