• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

Hmm is a $50 rise over current gen "standard" launch prices really suicide? Or a $50 - $150 price drop on PS3 launch prices

It's all about percieved value in the end, I don't think there is any way they bundle Vita and PS4, but if they did I could see consumers being keen at $449.
Suicide is a bit dramatic. But if they launch over $399 they do so at their peril. I don't think the market will bite. I'm expecting both the next XBOX and PS will launch at $399.

The thought of releasing a $450 unit taking a substantial loss and using their dedicated handheld as the controller, which is what was suggested is really pretty absurd though.

And I do think Sony will charge for online, they'd be pretty dumb not to.
It depends on whether as a marketing USP it holds more value than the revenue they'd gain for subscribers.

Also probably on whether they can get publishers to eat some of the bandwidth cost again next gen - as I think they do with PSN?

Triple U

Banned
that is just the component price, with packaging and shipping and everything else, you are still looking at a nearly $300 console, plus a $200 handheld (shipping and boxing would be counted with the PS4) it would be a $100 dollar loss per console with those numbers though, but they could probably get away with a 449 SKU and keep selling the PS3 for the time being.

$450 with a $100 loss? Its like the PS3 never happened.

thuway

I starting to believe that by having a very expensive high end sku, it makes the cheapest feel like it has very good value. I'd have five skus, starting at £399.

£399 - 120 gb
£425 - 180 gb
£499 - 250 gb
£525 - 500 gb
£599 - 1tb

Are some of you out of your mind? Do you want consumers to be confused? Just offer a low end and a high end model.

z0m3le

Banned
You should buy a Wii U. It sounds like that is what you really want. The Vita's price will fall in due time, but to launch at a $449 price tag is nothing but suicide.

Actually I am talking about a 2013 console, they won't be releasing a 2014 console as they are confident that they will beat Microsoft to market and be out before the end of next year.

Also I didn't factor in the PSvita's price dropping, so they could hit 399.99 if they build a $220-$250 component price console with $80 overhead for boxing, shipping, advertisement and R&D plus a 199.99 PSvita.

Do it as a 2 SKU set up, 349.99 and 499.99

PS I own all 3 consoles and spend quite a lot of money on gaming, this is still the best way to attack Wii U and 3DS.

thuway

Actually I am talking about a 2013 console, they won't be releasing a 2014 console as they are confident that they will beat Microsoft to market and be out before the end of next year.

Also I didn't factor in the PSvita's price dropping, so they could hit 399.99 if they build a $220-$250 component price console with $80 overhead for boxing, shipping, advertisement and R&D plus a 199.99 PSvita.

Do it as a 2 SKU set up, 349.99 and 499.99

PS I own all 3 consoles and spend quite a lot of money on gaming, this is still the best way to attack Wii U and 3DS.

Attacking Nintendo is stupid logic. They will, and always will have an ingenious timeless first party. It's like Dreamworks trying to take a stab at Pixar by making more visually impressive films. It's not happening.

The smartest thing is to aim for whatever MS is doing. However, this might not be good for people like us on GAF who appreciate and understand what these numbers mean.

Ashes

Banned
Are some of you out of your mind? Do you want consumers to be confused? Just offer a low end and a high end model.

lol. Tell that to folks who buy ipads. :p

Having put the above as a joke, I began thinking of buying the 1tb ps4. :p

And I'm not a day 1 purchaser. ;)

z0m3le

Banned
Attacking Nintendo is stupid logic. They will, and always will have an ingenious timeless first party. It's like Dreamworks trying to take a stab at Pixar by making more visually impressive films. It's not happening.

The smartest thing is to aim for whatever MS is doing. However, this might not be good for people like us on GAF who appreciate and understand what these numbers mean.

You do realize that the rumored specs could fit into a $200-$250 budget right? the GPU is under $50, you don't need the memory or the PCB, and that is at it's current 40nm fab, it would likely be produced at 28nm next year.

The CPU would come down quite a bit in price, right now you or I could buy it for $120, but it goes on sale below 100, if you take into account bulk purchasing power and the price it will end up at next year, you're probably looking at something easily under $70... other components shouldn't bring the price up more than $120.

So you are looking at a 200-250 console, considering vita should also drop in price by next year, a $400-450 sku with both Vita and PS4 is possible.

they have already said vita will be their tablet, if tablets do happen, this could be something they decide to do after launch, and that would work too, but I don't see what sony really has to offer a console gaming on the fence on which one to buy... a Vita PS4 combo that very closely communicates with one another in one box that developers are supporting does give them an edge, even over the Wii U, as that tablet isn't mobile like the vita.

deadlast

I would pay 400 for a vita/ps4 combo in a heartbeat. But I think you will see a PS3/vita bundle come to the market first.

I'm expecting 500GB SKU @ $399 and 1TB @ $499. I'll definitely get the bigger HDD, as the games will get bigger and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to install entire games to the HDD. 25GB per game fills up space really fast. I also think they'll offer a specially branded SSD at a strong premium either at launch or somewhere down the line.

z0m3le

Banned
Seeing as the Vita is $250 for the base Unit, Sony would lose money hand over fist with that bundle.

That isn't the price of the base unit, you aren't factoring in the boxing, shipping, marketing and every other part of the overhead that is probably close to $60, factor that in with a drop of $50, the Vita cost per unit is probably going to be somewhere around $150 next year, if they can make a console for 200-250 (and the specs in these rumors sure do point to a console of that sort of price to build) then you end up with $350-400 without overhead, add $70 for shipping, they could sell the combo anywhere from $20-$70 loss per console bundle sold.

if the usage is interesting, it would make it a day 1 for me.

That isn't the price of the base unit, you aren't factoring in the boxing, shipping, marketing and every other part of the overhead that is probably close to $60, factor that in with a drop of $50, the Vita cost per unit is probably going to be somewhere around $150 next year, if they can make a console for 200-250 (and the specs in these rumors sure do point to a console of that sort of price to build) then you end up with $350-400 without overhead, add $70 for shipping, they could sell the combo anywhere from $20-$70 loss per console bundle sold.

Its unlikely this will happen, and if it does - it won't happen for those ridiculous prices.

At most you might see a deal where you buy a Vita and a PS4 and get $50 off the combined price.

Wishful thinking. Coming up with a console that costs so little would be a difficult proposition on its own.
But a console ; handheld combo would be extremely promising, especially if they shared the same basic ui, online functionality and could play the same games

z0m3le

Banned
Wishful thinking. Coming up with a console that costs so little would be a difficult proposition on its own.

did you even read the specs? those chips are cheap, devs are already calling this system on par with current gen, I can easily see this happening from a component side of things.

Globox_82

Banned
Just give me powerful console with regular controller for 499 euros, or I could go 549E on day one. If this thing is going to be around for 7-8 years these rumored specs can't be true, they just can't be.
I don't want Vita bundle or any gimmicky controller that would take resources from brain parts (CPU+GPU+RAM). Just make triggers on DS better and I don't need anything better.
Make PSN "Next gen" and I would pay a yearly fee. If it becomes extremely fast all I ask for.

If Sony releases weak console in comparison to nexbox they are dead on arrival

Just give me powerful console with regular controller for 499 euros, or I could go 549E on day one. If this thing is going to be around for 7-8 years these rumored specs can't be true, they just can't be.
I don't want Vita bundle or any gimmicky controller that would take resources from brain parts (CPU+GPU+RAM). Just make triggers on DS better and I don't need anything better.
Make PSN "Next gen" and I would pay a yearly fee. If it becomes extremely fast all I ask for.

If Sony releases weak console in comparison to nexbox they are dead on arrival

As much as I agree, a system that is both portable and usable at home would be extremely viable in marketing and to third parties. I don't think it would be DOA at all

Globox_82

Banned
As much as I agree, a system that is both portable and usable at home would be extremely viable in marketing and to third parties. I don't think it would be DOA at all

It's not what Playstation fans want. Unfortunately for Sony with PS3 they put them selves in a situation where they have to follow with powerful system.
I want to believe EPic when they says MS & Sony will blow us away.

BTW- I tend to be drama queen, even if deep down I know PS4 is going to be a powerful consoles.....I hope.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Triple U said:
And yeah, consoles don't use drivers.
That wasn't strictly true this generation anymore - they didn't use graphic-drivers, but there were certainly others.
And nothing says we're gonna get any sort of direct hw access this time - if anything trends would suggest we probably won't.

Mario007

It's not what Playstation fans want. Unfortunately for Sony with PS3 they put them selves in a situation where they have to follow with powerful system.
I want to believe EPic when they says MS & Sony will blow us away.

BTW- I tend to be drama queen, even if deep down I know PS4 is going to be a powerful consoles.....I hope.

Well according to that interview with the Sony Lead Engineer that was posted on the previous page all this rumours are complete bullshit. It could very well be that Sony is waiting for 2014 and will sacrifice giving MS the headstart again if they can get the technology like 3D stacking on board.

Triple U

Banned
That wasn't strictly true this generation anymore - they didn't use graphic-drivers, but there were certainly others.
And nothing says we're gonna get any sort of direct hw access this time - if anything trends would suggest we probably won't.

What kind of drivers? Its hard to imagine there are many with the size of the OS.

onQ123

did you even read the specs? those chips are cheap, devs are already calling this system on par with current gen, I can easily see this happening from a component side of things.

it's not possible for it to be on par with the PS3 when the GPU in the APU is above the GPU in the PS3 alone & Fudzilla seem to have just took the IGN rumor & added the part about it being on par with current gen.

If Sony go with both Vita as a controller, I wonder if software will be designed to run to the os rather than tdirectly to the hardware. More like one of the Playstation minis than regular games. That would potentially allow the hardware to be incrementally upgraded like Ipad is without starting everything from scratch

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have never met anyone that worked for free, never. Or extra for free. So why do people expect developers to do so? Just cuz they are nerds, o ok....

Just to make it clear I am exclusive PS3 owner.
Haha, you have obviously never met a software developer then. Working free insane overtime hours is practically an expected industry standard. Wait, why am I laughing again...

Oh, and you're completely wrong about 'laziness' too. There's drive to master difficult things when you're a smart person, and pride to make something to be as good as it can possibly be. You're selling some developers very short if you think they haven't come up with really clever ways to use ps3 architecture. Looking at some presentations of BF3 rendering team would show you what I mean, but they are far from being the only ones.

SkylineRKR

Problem with the Vita as a controller scenario is that not everyone will have a Vita and thus support will not be on par with the Wii U's tablet.

The Wii U tablet might not work when far from the console but at least its being included right off the bat. There is no confusion; the Wii U has a dedicated tablet controller included and thats that. An option is including a mandatory Vita, but by 2013 its likely still 150-200 bucks let alone the possible Orbis price. We're looking at 450- 500 bucks combos at the very least here.

'maybe' adding Vita support is much like maybe implementing Move support here and there and maybe adding remote play with Ps3 games or maybe crossplay in future games. Sony's me too stance and lacklustre support of said features is what will break them. MS is likely dedicated to Kinect for the 720, Nintendo will likely be dedicated to their tablet innovation. And I can see both selling well.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Triple U said:
What kind of drivers? Its hard to imagine there are many with the size of the OS.
Pretty much all manners of I/O devices (Storage, controllers, Network, USB/BT compatible devices - I think PS3 even supports printers).

Problem with the Vita as a controller scenario is that not everyone will have a Vita and thus support will not be on par with the Wii U's tablet.

The Wii U tablet might not work when far from the console but at least its being included right off the bat. There is no confusion; the Wii U has a dedicated tablet controller included and thats that. An option is including a mandatory Vita, but by 2013 its likely still 150-200 bucks let alone the possible Orbis price. We're looking at 450- 500 bucks combos at the very least here.

'maybe' adding Vita support is much like maybe implementing Move support here and there and maybe adding remote play with Ps3 games or maybe crossplay in future games. Sony's me too stance and lacklustre support of said features is what will break them.

I think the vita as a controller suggestions would have the Vita packaged with PS4 and have an alternate SKU with no controller for cheaper. Alternately they could sell the system with essentially a shell controller. It would have everything necessary to play PS4 games, but the Vita innards that actually run the Vita games could be left out.

deadlast

No. The real problem is the lack of 4 shoulder buttons. The touch screen would be a good menu system interface, but the lack of 4 shoulder buttons really does it in as a console controller.

personally id rather they focus on ps3 for a bit longer.

And then release a beast a year or so after 720. So i can get 60fps/1080p multiplats and mind blowing firstparty games.

I dont care about market share. fuck that shit.

Globox_82

Banned
I wonder what effect will this have on PS4 development. This and Vita sales.

Sony sees $2.9 billion loss, new CEO warns of pain

The forecast for a 220 billion yen ($2.9 billion) net loss for the year to March, Sony's fourth straight year of red ink, was close to double what the market had expected, and revealed the task ahead for Hirai, who replaces Howard Stringer as CEO in April.

Hirai, a 51-year old Sony veteran known for reviving the PlayStation gaming operations through aggressive cost-cutting, said he would not hesitate to scale back or withdraw from businesses if they were not competitive.

"I have a very strong sense of crisis about the environment surrounding us," Hirai told a news conference. "We cannot be afraid to make painful choices for the future of Sony. Our rivals and the operating environment won't wait for us."

There is unlikely to be a honeymoon period for Hirai, who is under immediate pressure to sort out the ailing TV business after it fell behind South Korean rivals such as Samsung in a market where prices are tumbling.

Above all, Hirai will strive to recapture the innovative flair that led Sony to come up with the Walkman personal music-player in the 1980s and the PlayStation in the 1990s, and regain ground lost since then to Apple and Samsung whose iPhones, iPads and Galaxy gadgets are snapped up by consumers.

Some analysts believe Hirai -- 51, tall, urbane and a fluent English speaker -- can rekindle the flame, saying he has a good grasp of the overall business and is likely to know how to break down its silos and integrate its divisions.

Others are less optimistic about his chances.

"It won't be easy for Sony to regain its lost ground under new leadership, as its overall competitiveness has sharply weakened," said Kim Young-Chan, analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp in Seoul.

"It's got structural problems that will take years to fix.

"It's not just Sony, but Japanese IT firms have similar problems. They are failing to innovate and produce industry-leading products in almost every major area - from TVs to displays, tablets and smartphones."

more here
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-disappoints-1-2-billion-quarterly-operating-loss-061843906.html

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I think this is good for them. It means they are serious on changes.

Well hopefully they don't model the PS4 based upon the Wii's success. Sony should realize that launching late didn't hinder them against Microsoft, their price did. If they had a reasonable price they'd have been fine. Delay the console to 2014 so users can feel as if they truly are getting a next gen console that os cutting edge enough and economical. Something that's visually above Microsoft's offering and demonstrates that Sony listens to fans and developers alike. We crave power and an easily chewable pricetag. Also for bc, that should be available right out of the box for PS3 games, sell a peripheral that does that for PS2 and PS1. No need to incur more costs on the console. Be smart Sony put every game on PSN next go around

No. The real problem is the lack of 4 shoulder buttons. The touch screen would be a good menu system interface, but the lack of 4 shoulder buttons really does it in as a console controller.

Surely the back-touchpad can be used as a replacement for the other 2 shoulder buttons.

see5harp

Surely the back-touchpad can be used as a replacement for the other 2 shoulder buttons.

I think although functional, using the back touch pad for anything gameplay related thus far has been really unpleasant. I think we'll see the Vita and PS4 connectivity for certain games (hopefully used more frequently than the GBA-Gamecube stuff) but anything standard is less than likely.

I think although functional, using the back touch pad for anything gameplay related thus far has been really unpleasant. I think we'll see the Vita and PS4 connectivity for certain games (hopefully used more frequently than the GBA-Gamecube stuff) but anything standard is less than likely.

I haven't used a Vita yet so I can't talk from personal experience, but I have heard complementary things about its use in FIFA.

see5harp

I haven't used a Vita yet so I can't talk from personal experience, but I have heard complementary things about its use in FIFA.

I haven't played FIFA, but it is terrible in every other game I've played. If it was a simple on/off trigger, then it would probably be a little better, but even then I can't tell you the amount of times you will accidentally trigger a black hold in Super Stardust. Mapping grenades or crouch to the backtouch would result in a lot of frustration.

magash

The forecast for a 220 billion yen ($2.9 billion) net loss for the year to March, Sony's fourth straight year of red ink, was close to double what the market had expected, and revealed the task ahead for Hirai, who replaces Howard Stringer as CEO in April.

Hirai, a 51-year old Sony veteran known for reviving the PlayStation gaming operations through aggressive cost-cutting, said he would not hesitate to scale back or withdraw from businesses if they were not competitive.

"I have a very strong sense of crisis about the environment surrounding us," Hirai told a news conference. "We cannot be afraid to make painful choices for the future of Sony. Our rivals and the operating environment won't wait for us."

There is unlikely to be a honeymoon period for Hirai, who is under immediate pressure to sort out the ailing TV business after it fell behind South Korean rivals such as Samsung in a market where prices are tumbling.

Above all, Hirai will strive to recapture the innovative flair that led Sony to come up with the Walkman personal music-player in the 1980s and the PlayStation in the 1990s, and regain ground lost since then to Apple and Samsung whose iPhones, iPads and Galaxy gadgets are snapped up by consumers.

Some analysts believe Hirai -- 51, tall, urbane and a fluent English speaker -- can rekindle the flame, saying he has a good grasp of the overall business and is likely to know how to break down its silos and integrate its divisions.

"It won't be easy for Sony to regain its lost ground under new leadership, as its overall competitiveness has sharply weakened," said Kim Young-Chan, analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp in Seoul.

"It's not just Sony, but Japanese IT firms have similar problems. They are failing to innovate and produce industry-leading products in almost every major area - from TVs to displays, tablets and smartphones."

more here
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-disappoints-1-2-billion-quarterly-operating-loss-061843906.html

Sony is in far more trouble than some seem to think. The PS4 will most likely not be a full generational update simply because of the financial trouble Sony finds itself in.

Any PS4 set up that uses Vita as a controller will be too expensive and fail. It seems like people only mention this silly idea just because Nintendo is something similar (but still very different)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

more here

Yes, it's important for a CEO to be tall...

SkylineRKR

Well, he IS the figurehead now.

Well hopefully they don't model the PS4 based upon the Wii's success. Sony should realize that launching late didn't hinder them against Microsoft, their price did. If they had a reasonable price they'd have been fine. Delay the console to 2014 so users can feel as if they truly are getting a next gen console that os cutting edge enough and economical. Something that's visually above Microsoft's offering and demonstrates that Sony listens to fans and developers alike. We crave power and an easily chewable pricetag. Also for bc, that should be available right out of the box for PS3 games, sell a peripheral that does that for PS2 and PS1. No need to incur more costs on the console. Be smart Sony put every game on PSN next go around

Thats partially true.

Launching late did hurt Sony. A lot of people bought a 360 because of Sony not showing up. The 360 took all the wows with its HD graphics, and when the Ps3 was being released... it was nothing the 360 didn't already show. Which likely resulted in a lot of Ps2 gamers actually sticking with their 360 instead of buying the more expensive Ps3. Its a combination of both being late and selling at a premium.

Its a bit ironic though that the 360 actually seems to be considered the media player of choice where the Ps3 with all its Blu Ray support et al isn't. At least I heard the 360 is quite big in the US because of those features. It will be a hard battle for Sony.

I hope so to. But to be honest, I think they are better off competing with MS than they are with Nintendo... so relevant technology is probably the better bet.

To be honest. I want more use of it.

Facebook App uses it for scrolling (just like front touch). I wish it was included on the web browser... prevents smudges from happening everywhere. And it's often more comfortable too.

Triple U

Banned

more here

Thats pretty old. It probably won't effect the PS4 much either.

Top Bottom