• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Quick question since I've been out of the loop. Are there any balance or IPS changes in this patch?

Yes hugely on the balance front, don't believe there are any IPS changes though.

let me just ....
General
- Shortcut to clear Training Mode savestate is now LK+HK+Select instead of LP+HK+Select to prevent assist calls. You can still hold Select for 30f to clear it like before.
- The entirety of Double, Fortune, and Parasoul's tag-in animations are now counterhit state, like everyone else. Thanks Kris D.
- Double can now cancel between forward dash and backdash like everyone else. Thanks Swap!
- Fix weird metergain thing vs armor[skullgirls.com], thank you Pikmario!
- Fix LP~HK and HK~LP calling the wrong assist (A1), when LP+HK will call the correct one (A2). Thank you ...IsaVulpes...sigh...
- Fix bug in auto-frame-data, it will now correctly report startup for throws that make contact.
- Updated stage select picture for Empty Cathedral to match the new stage.

Beta No-Longer-Just-Experiments List
General
- Can't burst during invincibility in hitstun, fixes some burst OS's.
- All Lv1 supers have 1f active frames that are unblockable post-flash...didn't like always-blockable versions, but I do like the shorter hitstop. Air Scalpels still reaction-blockable and counterable even point-blank. Sing->Opera is reaction blockable if not doing anything, but not counterable.
Cerebella
- She is able to reflect projectiles from the 1st frame of Diamond Deflector, rather than having 4f at the start where she can't.
Filia
- Airball on block -5 -> -9.
Fortune
- Can cancel Zoom or Headbutt into head's Cat Call recall, only if not blocked. The cancel adds 75f of cooldown (same as Sneeze/Nom add) if the head is not actually recovered by the body.
- Headless Fiber Upper is only throw-invincible, not hit-invincible; assist version keeps full invincibility even if headless. HK Fiber makes opponent land slightly sooner if airblocked.
- j.HP -2f startup, 775 dmg, updated knockback and hitstun, knocks downward again.
- s.HP -2f startup, +2f recovery, dmg 1100->1000 dmg, new hitspark.
- Feline Allergies active time +4f.
- Head-on Cat Scratch Fever can't be comboed off with normals, can be cancelled into Cat Strike on hit.
- Head now always has 15f of cooldown after being hit by the opponent at any time. No more, no less.
- Longer period where she can't move the head after Feral Edge on whiff/block.
- Can't cancel Headbutt/Zoom into Nom or Sneeze on block. Can still cancel on hit/whiff.
- Cat Strike (take off head) +1 on block -> -2 on block.
Painwheel
- s.MP will autocorrect at the attack part if-and-only-if she absorbs at least one hit during the armor.
- Can unfly by pressing PP while flying; she maintains her forward momentum on unfly, and keeps half momentum backward.
- Fly cancels from Buers (and Buer super) count as 2x flying, so they allow one less fly afterward until you land; flying out of normals and Stingers is unaffected.
- Hatred Install hitstop 1f, recovery 5f longer on DHC only.
Parasoul
- Silent Scope active time 4f->7f, no longer possible to just-frame dodge it with certain moves.
Peacock
NEW - MP Bang pushback on block reduced.
- Argus Agony startup invincibility reduced.
- Lenny will not explode in the middle of an Argus Agony, he will wait until the end.
Squigly
- H Seria Draugen Punch is invincible.
Valentine
- Mortuary Drop startup 6f faster, dmg 2050->1200, no longer super-cancellable on or after the active frames on whiff. Still super-cancellable on hit.
- 24f cooldown on Dead Cross once it hits the floor, hits the opponent, or goes offscreen.

Notable stuff includes ...

Fortune Nerfs!
Painwheel Un-fly
Squigly has a real DP
Cerebella's reflector is buffed again
Filia's Airball is now punishable on block
Valentine buffed(?) nerfed(?) command grab.

Training mode has a neat new frame display that shows you on what frames become active, startup, invincibility, frames before flash ... stuff. And it has slow mode so you can appreciate the super awesome animation frame by frame.

Finally a reason to use it

Welp there goes part of my approach D:
Can't check for myself right now, but can I dash cancel to relative safety or would I get punished before that?

So long as you cover it with an assist (do like QCB+HK+MP in the air to get simultaneous Airball + Assist) then not much is going to change for you.

Doing it raw means you'd be punished before you were even out of recovery where as before you would have just been unsafe in doing another action.

So long as you cover it with an assist (do like QCB+HK+MP in the air to get simultaneous Airball + Assist) then not much is going to change for you.

Doing it raw means you'd be punished before you were even out of recovery where as before you would have just been unsafe in doing another action.

*uses Squiggly's d.HP assist*
...I should probably unlearn it

Finished the Big Bang story mode and I loved it, his personality is very likeable the VA fits very well in the role.

I also played with BB in training mode and I can say good-bye to Double, I'm seriously going to learn him. Also Cerebella's Merry Gorila beats Big Bang's QCF+PP, need to very careful with that big hitbox.

Edit: forgot to say I enjoy so much accidentally parrying attacks. Can him parry blockbursters? If yes we need someone doing a Daigo's moment and parrying a Peacock or Parasoul supers.

Got the BB update on PS3 this morning. Fired it up and saw him but he's greyed out and says dlc now available. So I hit the PSN store and nothing so I guess I have to wait till the PS store updates. PS store is now updated but there's no BB. Now what?

Finished the Big Bang story mode and I loved it, his personality is very likeable the VA fits very well in the role.

I also played with BB in training mode and I can say good-bye to Double, I'm seriously going to learn him. Also Cerebella's Merry Gorila beats Big Bang's QCF+PP, need to very careful with that big hitbox.

Edit: forgot to say I enjoy so much accidentally parrying attacks. Can him parry blockbursters? If yes we need someone doing a Daigo's moment and parrying a Peacock or Parasoul supers.

Yeah he can parry supers, the Big Band trailer confirmed that much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhADoCjdoI

I never noticed that music played when he dashed forward, really need to get around to learning how to play a song with him. Was thinking something like the first line of ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=caWY7uOlakU

You could use Drag N Bite which moves forward and hits a bunch but you'd lose the utility of the low, up to you!

Yeah, I could but I like my high/low/left/right too much :v

Oh well, alternatively I could find a third but I just haven't felt as good with anyone else since the console Squiggly patch.

TheOGB

Banned
As is Skullgirls, I too am now Big and Bandy. Thank you Bassed God.

I liked Ben's story mode, lots of interesting connections revealed. Also enjoying
these final boss team-ups. I doubt the last few characters will have em, but then again, I didn't see Squigly's or BB's coming, so who knows.

Now the Eliza hype can fully commence

Being punished real hard for not having played the beta right now, the few good BigBand's i've come across have been EXTREMELY effective and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to deal with his unique style of pressure, super long range overheads, and crazy armor moves. Not to mention how lucrative his assist pool is as well. For some reason the character still isn't clicking with me though, he's probably one of the only chars that I haven't immediately come up with an obvious, go to, quick and dirty playstyle that I can just pick up on. The only other char being like that for me being Valentine. To the forums I guess.

Edit : Anyone up for matches?

Ravidrath

The Xbox 360 patch is starting to propagate across the XBLA servers as we speak.

Boot up your system, download the Required Compatibility Update DLC again, and start up the game!

The updated Required Compatibility Update DLC should be 823 megs.

It doesn't look like it causes any conflict with the original one, but you can delete Data For Title Update 1 from your System / Storage / Skullgirls listing to clear space and be safe.

Squigly, Big Band and the rest of the DLC should all be ready by noon PST tomorrow!

Thanks for your patience, and enjoy!

Geniuzz

The Xbox 360 patch is starting to propagate across the XBLA servers as we speak.

Boot up your system, download the Required Compatibility Update DLC again, and start up the game!

The updated Required Compatibility Update DLC should be 823 megs.

It doesn't look like it causes any conflict with the original one, but you can delete Data For Title Update 1 from your System / Storage / Skullgirls listing to clear space and be safe.

Squigly, Big Band and the rest of the DLC should all be ready by noon PST tomorrow!

Thanks for your patience, and enjoy!

Currently downloading Squiggly and Big Band! Can't wait to get off from work tonight and try them out! Lab Zero, thanks so much!

Oops. It seems that I can't download Squiggly and Big Band just yet. Even though they are listed as free items, I need to add credit card information. Hmmm, I always use the prepaid MS cards, but I'll look into it when I get home.

TheOGB

Banned
Just downloaded them myself! Man it's been a long time since I played this on the 360. I forgot how great this game looks on my TV.

Galdelico

Just downloaded them myself! Man it's been a long time since I played this on the 360. I forgot how great this game looks on my TV.
This, it's an absolute beauty.

Downloaded the compatibility pack, Squigs and Big Band (what an amazing piece of art, Jesus...) and I love how the games feels now on 360.
At a very first glance:
- loading times seem just a bit slower than on PS3 but they are so much quicker now, it's really awesome
- dunno if it's me and my eyes but all the 2D graphics elements - intro, background layers... - scroll perfectly smooth in 1080p (before I used to notice very subtle stutterings)
- the main menu finally got rid of that 'game unlocked' line haha XD
- hitbox glitch seems 100% gone (maybe it was already fixed but I dropped 360 Skullgirls ages ago and focused on the PS3 one)

Such a pleasure to be able to play the game this nicely on XBOX too, thank you guys! :)

PS - Just in case it could be of any help, I'll report a couple of weird things I experienced during my first playthrough:

- when you go to arcade and training mode, pick up Squigly and BB then hit Start to change their color palette, colors are all locked, even the 'official' 1p schemes. If you just hit the buttons without recalling the select screen it all seems to work out fine.

- speaking about colors: many of them don't even appear as selectable but I guess this is because on 360 there is no free color-pack DLC, right?

- the new stages are all locked for training, just like Squigly and BB colors. Is it normal?

- when you win a round against a rival team member, the game randomly pauses for a second (before the next opponent gets in the ring).

Again, very minor stuff but it may be helpful for you guys.

Being punished real hard for not having played the beta right now, the few good BigBand's i've come across have been EXTREMELY effective and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to deal with his unique style of pressure, super long range overheads, and crazy armor moves. Not to mention how lucrative his assist pool is as well. For some reason the character still isn't clicking with me though, he's probably one of the only chars that I haven't immediately come up with an obvious, go to, quick and dirty playstyle that I can just pick up on. The only other char being like that for me being Valentine. To the forums I guess.

Edit : Anyone up for matches?

I also didn't spend too much time with Big Band in the beta, but watching mcpeanuts streaming yesterday kinda give me a few ideas about BB.

Galdelico

Aaand of course it seems that Big Band is NOT free on EU PSN, just like what happened with Squigly. Damn, is there anyone human taking care of PS Store business in EU or just trained donkeys? XD

I also didn't spend too much time with Big Band in the beta, but watching mcpeanuts streaming yesterday kinda give me a few ideas about BB.

I'm going to have to check out the archive for that. I'm doing a lot better with Big Band on the combo front but I'm still not at the point where I'm using him all that effectively in neutral. Have to figure a way to properly incorporate his charge punch breaks, parry, and that super cheap overhead into his general game.

What to do with him on the reset front is also something Im going to need to explore with him in the next few days since going for Command Grab / AA Grab style resets don't seem to net you the amount of damage they'd give you if you were using someone like Cerebella instead and he doesn't seem to have any obvious cross over/unders into full combos like she does either. If I had an assist I might be able to do more with him since I could maybe combo either his command grab or AA command grab into a silver chord and get a full combo but I dislike specializing the team to that degree (I use random select a lot) so that pretty much leaves me with a low/throw/high style mixup game using his amazingly long range overhead special.

Another initial challenge was finding what normals were the best to actually jump in with because, again, it's not inherently obvious from the outset. I've had some success with jLP/jLK, and the occasional close range jMK but for a character that doesn't seem to have all that many mobility options it's off putting to see that his actual jump in normals aren't terribly effective either or at least compared to a Parasoul jHP or a Cerebella jLK/jMP. Initially he's coming off as a much more ground based character than either Cerebella or Parasoul are in this game and I think that may have been the source of a lot of my initial trouble with the character.

The only reasonable explanation is, Eliza is coming in a few weeks! #believe

j/k

#believe !

Can't wait until she appears in beta though I hope they wait a little longer than they did with Big Band so that she has a higher percentage of her overall total moves available from the outset. I guess I can't complain if that early beta stage testing proves useful but I can't help but feel that there's not much in the way of meaningful feedback you can give on a character that doesn't have the majority (or all) of their moveset available.

Still extremely useful for bug fixing I suppose.

Piccoro

Aaand of course it seems that Big Band is NOT free on EU PSN, just like what happened with Squigly. Damn, is there anyone human taking care of PS Store business in EU or just trained donkeys? XD
Jawad says he's resolving that on the EU blog:
Update on Skullgirls, yes the DLC will be free. Please wait until it lists as Free before jumping in :)

I'm going to have to check out the archive for that. I'm doing a lot better with Big Band on the combo front but I'm still not at the point where I'm using him all that effectively in neutral. Have to figure a way to properly incorporate his charge punch breaks, parry, and that super cheap overhead into his general game.

What to do with him on the reset front is also something Im going to need to explore with him in the next few days since going for Command Grab / AA Grab style resets don't seem to net you the amount of damage they'd give you if you were using someone like Cerebella instead and he doesn't seem to have any obvious cross over/unders into full combos like she does either. If I had an assist I might be able to do more with him since I could maybe combo either his command grab or AA command grab into a silver chord and get a full combo but I dislike specializing the team to that degree (I use random select a lot) so that pretty much leaves me with a low/throw/high style mixup game using his amazingly long range overhead special.

Another initial challenge was finding what normals were the best to actually jump in with because, again, it's not inherently obvious from the outset. I've had some success with jLP/jLK, and the occasional close range jMK but for a character that doesn't seem to have all that many mobility options it's off putting to see that his actual jump in normals aren't terribly effective either or at least compared to a Parasoul jHP or a Cerebella jLK/jMP. Initially he's coming off as a much more ground based character than either Cerebella or Parasoul are in this game and I think that may have been the source of a lot of my initial trouble with the character.

I think mcpeanuts told he was doing around 8k damage with his Big Band combos. I also see him as more ground based character than the opposite, but mcpeanuts was doing an interesting thing yesterday with his BB combo while in the air, I think it was Cymbal Clash > Air Grab > j.LK and he continued the combo but I don't remember the rest. His assists are very useful, be it Brass Knuckles, Giant Step or even Beat Extend.

Skullgirls is on sale on Steam for $7.49. Haven't played this game in awhile. Bought it on the 360 on release but I ended up getting rid of my system.

Thinking of buying this on Steam since I can use my arcade stick on pc anyways...

Mesoian

Big Band might be my favorite fighting game character of all time. Dude is just too cool.

Gotta figure out his moves though. I have no idea what bagpipe mode even does.

VariantX

Big Band might be my favorite fighting game character of all time. Dude is just too cool.

Gotta figure out his moves though. I have no idea what bagpipe mode even does.

Bagpipes make his level 1 supers more... "super".

Super sonic jazz gets a rush punch combo tacked on that does an absurd amount of damage.
The tympani air super gets a throw added at the end

Mesoian

Bagpipes make his level 1 supers more... "super".

Super sonic jazz gets a rush punch combo tacked on that does an absurd amount of damage.
The tympani air super gets a throw added at the end

Hmm. but that really only makes them useful off stun or some sort of hold assist, yeah?

Geniuzz

Big Band is an awesome character and I love his story. I have only done Story mode with him, and Squigly, their Trials and then I went into Training Mode to practice some of his combos. The potential of this character is amazing! That parry! Day 1 he's already my favorite charge character of all time.

I am glad to see Skullgirls: Encore getting its time on PS+. Good timing with the release of Big Band; hopefully it will bring in a good number of new players.

Ravidrath, are you at liberty to talk about what Sony offered you for the game to be a PS+ offering?

Top Bottom