• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

I'd never gotten a metroidvania impression, just seemed like a really neat puzzle platformer.
Hope the slowdown/loading isn't too egregious :-/. Ugh.

Zia

I'd never gotten a metroidvania impression, just seemed like a really neat puzzle platformer.
Hope the slowdown/loading isn't too egregious :-/. Ugh.

From what I've seen (in videos), it's not that bad. I didn't notice any glaring issues during my time with the game, however I was playing on PC.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Got an early copy of this; cant say much due to embargo but I think I'm allowed to say that I'm having a lot of fun!

Interested to hear your thoughts a few hours in...

Ryan_IGN

To earlier posts in the thread: calling this game a Metroid-vania game is like calling Portal a first-person shooter.

Also, the review embargo lifts tomorrow (Wednesday the 11th) at 9am EDT/6am PDT.

Not sure if the beginning has already been shown in any videos, but the way the game starts is so awesome. So sad that the young'uns out there probably won't even understand the joke/reference...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How similar is the game to Sideway, a game that came out a while ago on PSN and PC? It looks like it uses the same world turning mechanic, but the aesthetics are undeniably better here.

How similar is the game to Sideway, a game that came out a while ago on PSN and PC? It looks like it uses the same world turning mechanic, but the aesthetics are undeniably better here.

I actually haven't thought about this comparison. I believe Fez lets you twist the perspective at will whereas the perspective changes in Sideway were bound by the world itself and your movement within it. Obviously very different art styles as well. I get the impression Fez isn't quite as active in terms of jumping on enemies heads/sliding into them and what have you relying more on exploration due to your ability to shift the perspective.

Damn... 360 only, huh? It's such a shame. There have been so many good downloadable titles for the 360 that I want, but the retail scene isn't encouraging enough for me to buy one, personally. It looks like such a fantastic game.

mozfan12

Banned
Jesus there is so much port begging going on in this thread. Im getting so tired of XBLA threads like this. If its not bitching about how there are no xbox eclusives, then its bitching about how an xbox exclusive is not on their system.

Im skeptical of the game itself. I'm looking forward to it but definitely gonna try the trail version before dipping.

Keikoku

Banned
ITT : 80% of port begging, 10% of haters, 10% of people who are actually interested in the game and talking about it.

Jesus there is so much port begging going on in this thread. Im getting so tired of XBLA threads like this. If its not bitching about how there are no xbox eclusives, then its bitching about how an xbox exclusive is not on their system.

Im skeptical of the game itself. I'm looking forward to it but definitely gonna try the trail version before dipping.

If that's referring to me at all, I wasn't port-begging; I was merely being honest about my feelings about the situation.

For some, it's Wednesday. For others, it's Friday.
Can you elaborate on some? Seems too short to be a print lead.

Phil Fish has definitely talked about it. It had something to do with him not actually do the work he said he was or something similar. There was falling out.

Your taste is your taste, but I can definitely say that Disasterpiece makes amazing music (from his albums and other games), and that the songs in FEZ are amazing. Hopefully once you play the game you'll get a better idea about how you feel about them. :)
Wow drama really follows that guy around.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Can you elaborate on some? Seems too short to be a print lead.

Some websites will have exclusives - big sites - maybe an IGN or a GameSpot or even a Game Informer website. Maybe even a few other AAA sites. Then on Friday is the rest of the group... I'm a Friday :)

Marco1

Has there been any reports on how long the game is? I don't mean a 100% play through chasing achievements and hidden things.
I'm hoping this isn't short.

Some websites will have exclusives - big sites - maybe an IGN or a GameSpot or even a Game Informer website. Maybe even a few other AAA sites. Then on Friday is the rest of the group... I'm a Friday :)
Oh okay, I was curious if it was guaranteed scores first, or friends and family reviews first which would throw it off. Hopefully nothing too malicious there.

Feep

Banned
My review is going to be very different from the others, based on...something very particular about my personality. Embargo for most places is Friday, by the way.

watership

Seems that way doesn't it lol. I could have sworn the 360 is a pretty popular console out in the real world though.

Portbegging is also because a lot of times MS doesn't get complete exclusivity. Journey will not come to 360 and PC. Yet we don't know if FEZ will say on 360.

But seriously, 7 years in, people still don't have a 360? On GAF? Come on.

edit: What i mean by that PSN and XBLA have proven to have great games. Some will never migrate to the other service. It would be a shame to miss out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Portbegging is also because a lot of times MS doesn't get complete exclusivity. Journey will not come to 360 and PC. Yet we don't know if FEZ will say on 360.

But seriously, 7 years in, people still don't have a 360? On GAF? Come on.

Even if it's timed exclusive, the OT even says for now that it's 360 only. There's no reason to ask if it'll be on ___ as it's both not reading the OT AND port begging. Shit gets annoying.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Oh okay, I was curious if it was guaranteed scores first, or friends and family reviews first which would throw it off. Hopefully nothing too malicious there.

Honestly, outside of maybe one case, I can't say I've ever run into a PR person or anyone with bad motivations with embargoes. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but that's been my experience.

Sometimes embargoes are there to prevent a crappy game from getting bashed before it has a chance to sell a few copies.

Other times it's to control messaging.

But mostly embargoes and exclusives are given to sites with wide reach. People bash IGN or GameSpot for getting exclusive reviews and they believe it's because a game is given a guaranteed score. I'm sure that happens, but mostly those sites run first because they have the greatest reach. It's a quid pro quo type of thing. The publisher gives an exclusive to a big site guaranteeing front page placement. The site gets exclusive content that they want to promote, the publisher gets a highly visible spot.

There's definitely no ulterior motives on FEZ.

Spruchy

Me while doing some of the puzzles in this game:

1295490659393.jpg

Honestly, outside of maybe one case, I can't say I've ever run into a PR person or anyone with bad motivations with embargoes. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but that's been my experience.

Sometimes embargoes are there to prevent a crappy game from getting bashed before it has a chance to sell a few copies.

Other times it's to control messaging.

But mostly embargoes and exclusives are given to sites with wide reach. People bash IGN or GameSpot for getting exclusive reviews and they believe it's because a game is given a guaranteed score. I'm sure that happens, but mostly those sites run first because they have the greatest reach. It's a quid pro quo type of thing. The publisher gives an exclusive to a big site guaranteeing front page placement. The site gets exclusive content that they want to promote, the publisher gets a highly visible spot.

There's definitely no ulterior motives on FEZ.
I don't want to get too into it because it's a different topic, but the only time when embargoes seem fair to me is to allow the print press a lead against online. Or to prevent writers rushing out shit sensationalist stories without finishing the game, just to be first.

If everyone had the same embargo the reach would be even bigger than a select few sites, so I don't see how limiting the 'message' for a couple of days does anything to improve the reach. It can be quite sinister controlling any message, and the scores will speak for themselves.

Feep

Banned
Dammit. I was hoping to perfect this game on my own, but some final puzzles still stump me. To any of you advance folk, let me know if you have any information on the following postgame content:
The black monolith
A complete number dictionary, specifically as it relates to the starting village boiler room (I theoretically have 0-7 and 10)
"What's my name?"
The observatory constellations
The two sequences on the walls of throne rooms

Soundtrack is getting uploaded on YT as we speak because the album leaked already :/

I know GAF doesn't give a F about pirated YT-songs (they get posted here all the time), but I seriously suggest buying the album, judging from the bandcamp tracks and various other media that has been released.

Also, the GAF Achieve Trophies thread of this month has one of Fez' achievements prominently featured

RTRTLTRTRTLTLTLT

Anyone already got it? Do you just input it at the start screen or is there a special trick to it?

Spruchy

Soundtrack is getting uploaded on YT as we speak because the album leaked already :/

I know GAF doesn't give a F about pirated YT-songs (they get posted here all the time), but I seriously suggest buying the album, judging from the bandcamp tracks and various other media that has been released.

Also, the GAF Achieve Trophies thread of this month has one of Fez' achievements prominently featured

RTRTLTRTRTLTLTLT

Anyone already got it? Do you just input it at the start screen or is there a special trick to it?
Concerning that achievement:
I inputted the trigger code in the beginning at one of the houses, gives you one of the rarer dark cubes that gives an achievement as well. Was pretty funny.

Concerning that achievement:
I inputted the trigger code in the beginning at one of the houses, gives you one of the rarer dark cubes that gives an achievement as well. Was pretty funny.

I love that it basically says: this is how dumb Achievements can be.

Oh Fish, you so meta!

NIGHT-

ITT : 80% of port begging, 10% of haters, 10% of people who are actually interested in the game and talking about it.

It's funny. The people that bitch about 360 not having exclusives are the same ones that port beg in every 360 exclusive thread lol

I had one and I sold it because I don't have the money for console gaming. I'm patiently awaiting the inevitable PC release, because it will happen.

Yep.. Just like RDR, halo 3, Gears of war 2. Similar post in during there releases :p

Top Bottom