• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Barrett2
Member
(04-09-2012, 09:54 PM)


Simba Powered Link

Very quietly, almost stealthily, a new king has been inaugurated on Broadway.
Box office figures to be released later Monday show that "The Lion King" last week swiped the title of Broadway's all-time highest grossing show from "The Phantom of the Opera," The Associated Press has learned.

The cumulative gross for "The Lion King" is $853,846,062, according to the show's numbers. Its chandelier-swinging rival's cumulative total is $853,122,847, according to musical's publicist. The "Lion King" surged past "Phantom" after netting over $2 million at the box office for the week ending Sunday, while "Phantom" pulled in about $1.2 million.

What makes the achievement all the more remarkable is that "The Lion King" chased down and grabbed the title despite "Phantom" having almost a full 10 years' head start. The Disney show opened in November 1997, while "Phantom" debuted in January 1988. The upstart's victory is due in large part to its higher average ticket prices and a slightly larger theater.

"It doesn't surprise me," said Cary Ginell, a music historian and biographer who edited the seventh edition of "Broadway Musicals: Show By Show." He compares "The Lion King" to a Disneyland ride.

"It's a spectacle that satisfies on many different sensory elements audio, visually, emotionally. It's also good for all ages just like Disneyland is. For the kids, it's the visual elements the colors, the costumes and the puppetry. For the adults, it's 'Hamlet,' basically. And the music is not geared to one age or gender or race. It's as universal a show can get."

Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(04-09-2012, 09:57 PM)
Divvy's Avatar

Originally Posted by lawblob


Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.

No one goes to see a musical for plot. It's all about the music/costumes/general extravaganza. All of which The Lion King excells at. It's not like people are dancing around with costumes straight out of the movie.
Meus Renaissance
Junior Member
(04-09-2012, 09:59 PM)
Meus Renaissance's Avatar
Lion King the show looks amazing from the YouTube clips I've seen. I intend to see it on Broadway
Dan
Currently boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
(04-09-2012, 10:01 PM)
Dan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Divvy

No one goes to see a musical for plot. It's all about the music/costumes/general extravaganza. All of which The Lion King excells at. It's not like people are dancing around with costumes straight out of the movie.

Yup, and as the guy in the article explains, The Lion King excels at the spectacle. It satisfies all ages, isn't reliant on name talent, etc.

Besides, at least it's a damned good show. It's not like some mediocre piece of shit is at the top.
ConfusingJazz
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:02 PM)
ConfusingJazz's Avatar

Originally Posted by lawblob

Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.

Do you live in Brooklyn and ride a fixie or something?

I guess we should see such original productions as Mary Poppins, Sister Act, Jersey Boys, or Ghost instead.
Last edited by ConfusingJazz; 04-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(04-09-2012, 10:04 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar
It's hilarious when the show uses shadow puppets for parts of the story telling. It's like they have cardboard cutouts of characters that move all jankily during transitions.

Great great show, though. Have seen it twice. That opening will make you cry like a baby every damn time.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(04-09-2012, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by lawblob



Simba Powered Link



Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.

the fact that this annoys you, makes me happy.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(04-09-2012, 10:09 PM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by lawblob

Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.

Considering the music is good, good job indeed.
LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.
(04-09-2012, 10:11 PM)
LQX's Avatar
Its hard as hell to get tickets and even if you do they're expensive as hell.
Ad Infinitum
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:12 PM)
Ad Infinitum's Avatar
I cried when I saw it. Had a great time.
EktorPR
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:13 PM)
EktorPR's Avatar
Well deserved! It truly is a fantastic show and a great introduction to musical theatre for those who haven't experienced any before. Taymor being one trippy creator actually MADE this production what it is today.
Meier
(04-09-2012, 10:15 PM)
Meier's Avatar
I'd like to see The Lion King some day but this is still a bit disheartening. I've seen the Phantom's traveling show and it's fantastic...definitely my all time favorite musical. I became a big fan back in middle school when we were taught it in theatre class we had to take.

I can still remember many of the words when I hear a song come on.

*queues up the Original Cast Recording of Phantom on rdio*
Last edited by Meier; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Talon
Banned
(04-09-2012, 10:15 PM)
Talon's Avatar
It really is a great show. The costumers are awesome. The set is very cool.

There are other shows that I'd prefer to see, but, for families, it's a perfect theater experience.
Mariah Carey
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:18 PM)
Mariah Carey's Avatar
I saw The Lion King live during one of its traveling show runs and enjoyed it quite a bit. Is it a lot better on Broadway though?
Rocket Scientist
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:19 PM)
Rocket Scientist's Avatar
OP is a douchebag, wtf man.
Talon
Banned
(04-09-2012, 10:19 PM)
Talon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mariah Carey

I saw The Lion King live during one of its traveling show runs and enjoyed it quite a bit. Is it a lot better on Broadway though?

I have to imagine they don't have a moving stage on the travel show.
evil solrac v3.0
(04-09-2012, 10:25 PM)
evil solrac v3.0's Avatar
go see Peter Pan, it'll have fight scenes choreaographed by my friend Jacob Grigolia-Rosenbaum. he was also the fight coreographer for bloody bloody Andrew jackson.
Valhelm
contribute something
(04-09-2012, 10:26 PM)
Valhelm's Avatar
It's certainly a great show. Unfortunately, despite being a major Broadway fan, I've only gotten the chance to see it on tour.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:27 PM)
joeyjoejoeshabadoo's Avatar
Most of these other adapted stage plays do seem like lazy cash grabs (Sister Act, Shrek, Hairspray) but The Lion King is actually a really quality show.
ConfusingJazz
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:30 PM)
ConfusingJazz's Avatar

Originally Posted by joeyjoejoeshabadoo

Most of these other adapted stage plays do seem like lazy cash grabs (Sister Act, Shrek, Hairspray) but The Lion King is actually a really quality show.

Don't tell that to lawblob. He sees right through your propaganda, and won't be a part of the system.
Bgamer90
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:31 PM)
Bgamer90's Avatar
Went to see a Lion King show when I was at Disneyworld (Animal Kingdom) a few years ago. It was great.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(04-09-2012, 10:32 PM)
Divvy's Avatar

Originally Posted by ConfusingJazz

Don't tell that to lawblob. He sees right through your propaganda, and won't be a part of the system.

I don't think Lawblob is coming back. lol
Shiv47
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:40 PM)
Shiv47's Avatar

Originally Posted by joeyjoejoeshabadoo

Most of these other adapted stage plays do seem like lazy cash grabs (Sister Act, Shrek, Hairspray) but The Lion King is actually a really quality show.

That's because Broadway musicals cost so much to mount that producers basically refuse to try anything that doesn't have a built in audience from a movie (usually) or a book. Book of Mormon is an exception, but that still has the South Park guys behind it, so it had a leg up in that regard.
ConfusingJazz
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:48 PM)
ConfusingJazz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiv47

That's because Broadway musicals cost so much to mount that producers basically refuse to try anything that doesn't have a built in audience from a movie (usually) or a book. Book of Mormon is an exception, but that still has the South Park guys behind it, so it had a leg up in that regard.

Its always been like that. Why do you think Rodgers and Hammerstein got so many plays? Or Gilbert and Sullivan? And currently Andrew Lloyd Webber?

They were (or in Webber's case, are) well known, safe bets. Its not like there was a history of people investing large amounts of money on no name writers and material.
WillyFive
Member
(04-09-2012, 10:50 PM)
WillyFive's Avatar
I've been dying to see this play one day. Everything about it seems to be a thing to be experienced live.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(04-09-2012, 10:52 PM)
Divvy's Avatar
I wonder what the other top grossing shows are.


Originally Posted by Shiv47

That's because Broadway musicals cost so much to mount that producers basically refuse to try anything that doesn't have a built in audience from a movie (usually) or a book. Book of Mormon is an exception, but that still has the South Park guys behind it, so it had a leg up in that regard.

Book of Mormon also has the pedigree of the Avenue Q team. Love that musical.
blind51de
Banned
(04-09-2012, 10:55 PM)
And not a single fuck was given towards Osamu Tezuka's estate.

Disney should rerelease Atlantis now just to wag its dick some more at Japan.
Shiv47
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:08 PM)
Shiv47's Avatar

Originally Posted by ConfusingJazz

Its always been like that. Why do you think Rodgers and Hammerstein got so many plays? Or Gilbert and Sullivan? And currently Andrew Lloyd Webber?

They were (or in Webber's case, are) well known, safe bets. Its not like there was a history of people investing large amounts of money on no name writers and material.

Of course others have used previous sources for a leaping off point, the point I was trying to make (badly, I guess) is that the movies being used these days are lowest common denominator stuff that has been seen by the largest number of people. For example, Oklahoma! was based on a play performed 64 times on Broadway. Hardly the same as Legally Blonde or Ghost, or Shrek.
dskillzhtown
keep your strippers out of my American football
(04-09-2012, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Jason Raize '75 - '04

Lion King the show looks amazing from the YouTube clips I've seen. I intend to see it on Broadway

I saw it in Vegas (Mandalay Bay), it was great. The set, costumes, performances were all great.
HiroProtagonist
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:12 PM)
HiroProtagonist's Avatar
Eh. At least Andrew Lloyd Webber gets knocked off the top, which I fully support.
ConfusingJazz
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:20 PM)
ConfusingJazz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiv47

Of course others have used previous sources for a leaping off point, the point I was trying to make (badly, I guess) is that the movies being used these days are lowest common denominator stuff that has been seen by the largest number of people. For example, Oklahoma! was based on a play performed 64 times on Broadway. Hardly the same as Legally Blonde or Ghost, or Shrek.

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that you still went with safe bets back then, just that what makes a safe bet is much different now then 50 to 100 years ago.

Those composers were safe bets, now you go with adapted material, or people that are famous in some other field, like South Park or Elton John.
SlickVic
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:40 PM)
SlickVic's Avatar
Saw it in Toronto a good 12 years ago. I know I liked it, but it's been so long I have a hard time remembering why. Probably should check it out again.
Escape Goat
(04-09-2012, 11:41 PM)
Escape Goat's Avatar
I've only seen Wicked. wish i had the $$$ to see more plays :(
Steelrain
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:44 PM)
Steelrain's Avatar
Thread backfire.
Squalltdx
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:00 AM)
Squalltdx's Avatar
Reading this made me realize I've only seen 1 musical in my life and that was over 16 years ago. I went to see The Who's Tommy with a small bunch of students and 1 teacher on a after school trip. I remember enjoying it yet I can barely recall anything much about it, which also makes me feel old :(
lenovox1
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:00 AM)
lenovox1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Divvy

I wonder what the other top grossing shows are.

Broadway Grosses by Show from since they started to report them. Not adjusted by inflation.

Originally Posted by Teh Hamburglar

I've only seen Wicked. wish i had the $$$ to see more plays :(

Do you live in NYC? There are some online discount ticket clubs, occasional discount codes, the TKTS booth, and most shows have some kind of general rush/student rush/lottery/standing room. The Lion King never discounts, but they are other great shows.

If you're outside NYC, check your local theatre's website, but they probably offer some sort of rush (last minute ticket) discount. And Groupon and stuff like that might have deals, too.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(04-10-2012, 12:05 AM)
Divvy's Avatar

Originally Posted by lenovox1

Broadway Grosses by Show from since they started to report them. Not adjusted by inflation.

Okay yeah that is a really predictable list. Though I kind of expected Rock of Ages to have brought in more money. Also man did I hate Cats.
Barrett2
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Divvy

I don't think Lawblob is coming back. lol

The reality is I don't really care. I know Lion King is supposed to be a really well done show. Only Broadway Show i've seen since moving here is Book of Mormon. I just knew that for a story like this, only way people would pay attention is with a snarky OP.
explodet
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:14 AM)
explodet's Avatar

Originally Posted by lenovox1

Broadway Grosses by Show from since they started to report them. Not adjusted by inflation.

Awesome link.

Number of Previews:
THE LION KING: 22
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA: 16
CATS: 0
RENT: 16
SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK: 182

hahaha
Jeff Albertson
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:24 AM)
Jeff Albertson's Avatar
Fantastic show I saw it in london but Phantom is my favourite of all time seen that twice in london and once on broadway and can listen to the songs endlessly, the anger in the phantom seals it for me. I also loved butler as the phantom in the film of it.
lenovox1
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:26 AM)
lenovox1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Divvy

Okay yeah that is a really predictable list. Though I kind of expected Rock of Ages to have brought in more money. Also man did I hate Cats.

Yeah, it's in a small house (~4,200) with a pretty modest average ticket price, and after a while they were filling up to about 70% capacity (they've been packing the house lately, though).

And I don't think anybody liked Cats after it's first year, but it became this huge attraction for tourist (like The Lion King, Phantom, and Chicago are now). It brought the spectacle, and gave tons of Broadway dancers and singers jobs, so I can't hate on it too much.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(04-10-2012, 12:28 AM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar
Lion King live is fucking awesome.

I also highly recommend Wicked!

shows really don't get more awesome.
StriKeVillain
Member
(04-10-2012, 12:31 AM)
StriKeVillain's Avatar
If you saw The Lion Kion on Broadway, I've probably sent you a marketing email. Sorry guys.
Seraphinianus
Banned
(04-10-2012, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by lawblob



Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.



Alphahawk
Member
(04-10-2012, 07:16 AM)
Alphahawk's Avatar
The op strikes me as an elitist broadway snob.
GoutPatrol
Forgotten in his cell
(04-10-2012, 07:32 AM)
GoutPatrol's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alphahawk

The op strikes me as an elitist broadway snob.

He's probably sitting down with his favorite book, Broadway Musicals of the 1940s.
sangreal
Member
(04-10-2012, 07:35 AM)
sangreal's Avatar

Originally Posted by lawblob



Simba Powered Link



Good job, America.

Hey, we're going on a trip to NYC. Let's experience some theater! How about we check out that children's cartoon we own and have seen 30 times.

I've seen several broadway shows, and I think the Lion King was fantastic. Much better than shit like Cats (which like most shows was not original -- is being based on a book somehow better than being based on a movie?)
B-Dex
Member
(04-10-2012, 07:38 AM)
B-Dex's Avatar

Originally Posted by sangreal

I've seen several broadway shows, and I think the Lion King was fantastic. Much better than shit like Cats (which like most shows was not original -- is being based on a book somehow better than being based on a movie?)

You're gonna make Mr. Mistoffelees cry.
Fusebox
Banned
(04-10-2012, 07:41 AM)
Fusebox's Avatar
I went expecting to have an average experience and omfg it was soooo good.
Anth0ny
Member
(04-10-2012, 07:46 AM)
Anth0ny's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlickVic

Saw it in Toronto a good 12 years ago. I know I liked it, but it's been so long I have a hard time remembering why. Probably should check it out again.

I'm in the same boat. Can barely remember it, but I did see it, and I liked it.

Thread Tools