• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Arnie
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:20 PM)
Arnie's Avatar
How someone claimed they'd beaten it thoroughly in 20 hours is absurd, simply absurd.

I got the game yesterday and between then and now I must've but in around 10-12 hours (quite appalled with myself) and I'm still only at Chapter 1. I've been doing everything I can, and exploring Flotsam at my own leisure, crafting items, speaking to people and completing sidequests.

I've just *Chapter 1 spoilerkilled the Kayran and started the Roses of Remembrance quest and my god this game is brilliant. I've honestly lost all faith in humanity seeing Mass Effect 3 have a higher Metacritic, especially as I'm fresh off beating that game last week.

I'd quite happily say, 10 hours in, on Chapter 1 of Act 1 that this is the best RPG I've ever played, by a mile.
Einbroch
(04-18-2012, 08:20 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar
Neat. Two minutes into the game and already have a bug.

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.
Jay Shadow
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:22 PM)
Jay Shadow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vlodril

If you import a character that had aerondil (sp? the sword the lady of the lake gave you i think) it returns to your sheath after you lose it in the beginning. Its part of its magic i think.

I think that scene is programmed to take the default Witcher 2 silver sword no matter what. So it takes it out of your inventory even though it's not the one equipped.
C-Jo
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:23 PM)
C-Jo's Avatar
Picked up the 360 version yesterday. I can't believe how much stuff is included in the box for $45.

Anyway, it's a shame you can't adjust camera sensitivity. I haven't gotten motion sickness from a game since Descent, but this game is trying its best!
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-18-2012, 08:28 PM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Neat. Two minutes into the game and already have a bug.

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.

the symbol is supposed to appear for a very brief period of time. Like VERY brief.
Enkidu
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:28 PM)
Enkidu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jay Shadow

I think that scene is programmed to take the default Witcher 2 silver sword no matter what. So it takes it out of your inventory even though it's not the one equipped.

It's probably also a bug that CD Project didn't bother fixing, because even bringing the sword into the game would be quite useless if you still lost it in the prologue.
Einbroch
(04-18-2012, 08:29 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar

Originally Posted by subversus

the symbol is supposed to appear for a very brief period of time. Like VERY brief.

It appeared once, then hasn't appeared again. It's most definitely a bug.

Reloaded, same thing. Will appear once, then never again, not letting me move on.
Des0lar
will learn eventually
(04-18-2012, 08:34 PM)
Des0lar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

It appeared once, then hasn't appeared again. It's most definitely a bug.

Reloaded, same thing. Will appear once, then never again, not letting me move on.

PC or 360?
Einbroch
(04-18-2012, 08:35 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar

Originally Posted by Des0lar

PC or 360?

PC. I've had this game just sitting on my computer for a month now. Was waiting for EE to dive in. Incredibly frustrated.
monoclereborn
Junior Member
(04-18-2012, 08:45 PM)
Try to parry before your enemies attack, not wait until they actually execute their strikes. Hope this help!
pelicansurf
Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
(04-18-2012, 08:46 PM)
pelicansurf's Avatar
Where the hell are the Nekker nests? I'm in some tunnel that was defended/swarmed with nekkers and there is nothing that resembles a nest/entrance.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-18-2012, 08:47 PM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by monoclereborn

Try to parry before your enemies attack, not wait until they actually execute their strikes. Hope this help!

this. I'll try it myself today or tommorow.

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Where the hell are the Nekker nests? I'm in some tunnel that was defended/swarmed with nekkers and there is nothing that resembles a nest/entrance.

they are in the forest!
Exuro
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:47 PM)
Exuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Where the hell are the Nekker nests? I'm in some tunnel that was defended/swarmed with nekkers and there is nothing that resembles a nest/entrance.

They're in the forest around flotsam.
BlackFlip
(04-18-2012, 08:49 PM)
BlackFlip's Avatar
Those Nekker warriors are a bitch man. I like the challenge though, I was coasting along too well on normal.
ced
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:51 PM)
I love the traps (only have conflagration so far) in this game, or they way they look. Obvious yes, but cool as shit nonetheless.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-18-2012, 08:51 PM)
subversus's Avatar
buy the book on Nekkers. It will tell you how to fight them.

1)fast attacks with heavy finishers when it's appropriate
2)quen or fire
3)bombs
4)conflagration traps
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(04-18-2012, 08:51 PM)
gdt's Avatar

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

Those Nekker warriors are a bitch man. I like the challenge though, I was coasting along too well on normal.

On Dark Mode? I haven't even gotten out of my Witcher upgrades yet, so these Nekkers are shitting down my throat.
rSpooky
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:52 PM)
rSpooky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Neat. Two minutes into the game and already have a bug.

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.

I had the exact same problem. Keep your parry up all the time and watch the belly of the enemy. It is very short and brief and indeed a little fustrating.
despire
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:55 PM)
despire's Avatar
Missed my chance to buy the Dark Edition, would've liked the extras.

One shop still has the PC Nordic version for sale around here for under 30€. Would it be worth buying for the extras? It has the making of the DVD, soundtrack, game guide, manual, map, envelope and a coin, five foldable paper dolls.

Getting the EE for Xbox.

Is there any other way to get the 50 song soundtrack and the HD artwork than buying the whole game from GOG?

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/files/im...1911x1380.jpeg

Edit:
If I buy the old Nordic Edition, can I somehow redeem it on GOG and download the extras from there?

Mainly meaning this:
http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/
Last edited by despire; 04-18-2012 at 09:01 PM.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-18-2012, 08:55 PM)
subversus's Avatar
riposte sucks, I used it only accidentally
Salaadin
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:56 PM)
Salaadin's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt

On Dark Mode? I haven't even gotten out of my Witcher upgrades yet, so these Nekkers are shitting down my throat.

Nekkers are horrible on Dark. There are so many and they just overwhelm you. Any AOE attacks (bombs) are helpful because it lets you separate them some.
BlackFlip
(04-18-2012, 08:57 PM)
BlackFlip's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt

On Dark Mode? I haven't even gotten out of my Witcher upgrades yet, so these Nekkers are shitting down my throat.

No normal, the rest of the game is easier than I expected, but I'll save hard mode for the second playthrough, I probably won't ever do dark.
Kyaw
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:58 PM)
Kyaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by ced

I love the traps (only have conflagration so far) in this game, or they way they look. Obvious yes, but cool as shit nonetheless.

Conflagration traps do a fuck ton of damage to nekkers and arachnids.
SpaceBridge
Member
(04-18-2012, 08:58 PM)
SpaceBridge's Avatar
How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Edit: how would guys describe the art design?
Last edited by SpaceBridge; 04-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
pakkit
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:00 PM)
pakkit's Avatar
I suck at the combat in this game. When do you get the time to lay traps? Is there no ability to crouch or sneak? Do you flee from enemies often to get space between you? I keep getting in closed-quarters fights where I get boxed in and slain.
Minsc
(04-18-2012, 09:00 PM)
Minsc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

It appeared once, then hasn't appeared again. It's most definitely a bug.

Reloaded, same thing. Will appear once, then never again, not letting me move on.

You can't parry if you have no stamina bars right? Or did that get changed... with quen on you won't regen stamina, could that be it?
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-18-2012, 09:00 PM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceBridge

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

`11/10
lifa-cobex
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:03 PM)
lifa-cobex's Avatar
Dunno if anyone else has experienced this yet but enemy's don't sometimes attack unless i execute the first move?
Noticed more popins than before too.

on pc btw
BlackFlip
(04-18-2012, 09:04 PM)
BlackFlip's Avatar
question, are those pink spiders in the forrest (chapter 1) supposed to disappear after they charge at you?
Last edited by BlackFlip; 04-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.
smr00
Banned
(04-18-2012, 09:08 PM)
So how frustrating/difficult is the combat on 360? as someone who isn't the best at video games and defiantly isn't the best at action RPG's like this am i going to get stuck alot?
ced
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by smr00

So how frustrating/difficult is the combat on 360? as someone who isn't the best at video games and defiantly isn't the best at action RPG's like this am i going to get stuck alot?

It's hard at certain spots so far, especially the prologue.

You can change difficulty as you wish, and easy is really easy. Normal has been challenging but fun.
Vulcano's assistant
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:10 PM)
Vulcano's assistant's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceBridge

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Edit: how would guys describe the art design?

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.
Last edited by Vulcano's assistant; 04-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Queen of Hunting
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:11 PM)
Queen of Hunting's Avatar
the game is awesome so far apart from the very shit map
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(04-18-2012, 09:11 PM)
Snuggles's Avatar
"To paradise on whores asses!"

Please change the thread title to this. Such a great quest, can't believe I missed this last time.
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(04-18-2012, 09:14 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snuggler

"To paradise on whores asses!"

Please change the thread title to this. Such a great quest, can't believe I missed this last time.

You also missed out on Roche. Don't worry, we'll accept your apology.
smr00
Banned
(04-18-2012, 09:15 PM)

Originally Posted by ced

It's hard at certain spots so far, especially the prologue.

You can change difficulty as you wish, and easy is really easy. Normal has been challenging but fun.

Might have to pick this up today, i keep hearing you have to remember a lot of things within the game and what not to progress (i think it was the IGN review) which scares me, since i have a problem remembering things, especially little things like names etc.

Is that a problem? i remember a review i watched (pretty sure it was ign) was talking about you need to remember names of people and places and what not, not a huge deal, i can always pen and paper stuff down.
IndieJones
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:15 PM)
IndieJones's Avatar

Originally Posted by smr00

So how frustrating/difficult is the combat on 360? as someone who isn't the best at video games and defiantly isn't the best at action RPG's like this am i going to get stuck alot?

Should be a difficulty level to match all skills. Don't be afraid/ashamed to take it all the way down, the story is worth it.
Jay Shadow
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:17 PM)
Jay Shadow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Minsc

You can't parry if you have no stamina bars right? Or did that get changed... with quen on you won't regen stamina, could that be it?

They changed that in 2.0. You can parry without stamina, but it still drains stamina if you have it.
Berto
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:18 PM)
Berto's Avatar
I'm replaying in Dark Mode, feels so good, perfect difficulty. I just finished that elven girl (Marla?) quest and the fight i had with the nekkers on the cave was glorious (used potions, oils and traps). Felt good not to fall on her trap later on :D
Vulcano's assistant
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:19 PM)
Vulcano's assistant's Avatar

Originally Posted by smr00

Might have to pick this up today, i keep hearing you have to remember a lot of things within the game and what not to progress (i think it was the IGN review) which scares me, since i have a problem remembering things, especially little things like names etc.

Is that a problem? i remember a review i watched (pretty sure it was ign) was talking about you need to remember names of people and places and what not, not a huge deal, i can always pen and paper stuff down.

The game has a journal written by one of the characters, anything you need to remember is there.
bitoriginal
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:23 PM)
bitoriginal's Avatar
Got the game today, is Dark Mode achievable for someone new to the game? I generally play games on the hardest setting.
inky
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:24 PM)
inky's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceBridge

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Edit: how would guys describe the art design?

The art design is probably the best thing about the game. There is a lot of detail put into things like armor, cloth/fabrics, weapons and environments. I don't really think it feels generic at all, if anything it feels authentic and like others said it doesn't fall into the trap of making them overtly ridiculous like the bone armor in Skyrim or stuff like that. It's consistent and characters don't feel out of place within the world. The forests are lush with tall trees that really block the light, there are great vistas and a lot of attention has been put into the different areas, for example a field camp or a castle have different color schemes. It also has a very cool mix of almost pastel colored lighting that make it very vibrant, so it's not your typical greys and browns medieval color palette. It is a very colorful game. You should watch some screens and videos.
Last edited by inky; 04-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
EagleEyes
Member
(04-18-2012, 09:24 PM)
EagleEyes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vulcano's assistant

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

What American sci-fi artists are you talking about?
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(04-18-2012, 09:28 PM)
Snuggles's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

You also missed out on Roche. Don't worry, we'll accept your apology.

I won't concede anything about Roach yet, but I will admit that Ves is the shit. I would totally bail on Triss for her.
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(04-18-2012, 09:29 PM)
RedSwirl's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceBridge

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Edit: how would guys describe the art design?

Originally Posted by Vulcano's assistant

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

Yeah I was gonna say something like this. I'd still describe it as medieval European art, but TW2's art actually looks European instead of some generic modern representation of it. At the same time though, the production art has more of an edge to it. You can definitely tell that this game wasn't made by your typical North American or Japanese RPG dev.

World Map for instance:

legbone
(04-18-2012, 09:34 PM)
legbone's Avatar
all right. i joined the club. never played a witcher title before. so i watched some videos about the first game to catch up on the story and then picked this up on my lunch break. just did the tutorial and while it seems complex it is not as near as bad as some people made it out to be. combat that is. went ahead and started on normal. i can always bump it down to easy if need be. i have no shame. anyway this game has an awesome feel to it. love the humor and the atmosphere. is it just me, or does the witcher give people a crazy look every once and a while. kind of a wild "crazy eyes killer" look for those that know curb your enthusiasm. it may be my imagination but it still cracks me up.


quick question for you witcher experts:

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?
smr00
Banned
(04-18-2012, 09:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Vulcano's assistant

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

But i like chain-mail bikinis :3

Defiantly going to have to pick it up, for the last couple of months i have been addicted to the song of ice and fire books (half-way through a feast of crows) burnt through the first season twice on blu-ray and on season 2 and although this isn't the same i have that medieval/fantasy bug, like i can't get enough of it.

I need to get some coffee in me so i can buck up and haul ass to best buy, one last question to people who have played this, is there any water moments in the game? like swimming, going under water or giant fucking monsters coming out of the water? silly fear but i have trouble with games that take place in or on water that have giant monster battles, it fucking freaks me out.

It's stupid i know but i shouted and threw my controller when a shark jumped out in the batman game, i am a complete pussy when it comes to scary moments in video games which is odd since i am a horror movie fanatic.
owlbeak
Member
(04-18-2012, 10:00 PM)
owlbeak's Avatar
Speaking of the map, what is that compass looking object on the right that moves around a bit? I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be.
Kyaw
Member
(04-18-2012, 10:04 PM)
Kyaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by legbone

quick question for you witcher experts:

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?

Yes, it will work but you will want to get some points into Quen.
It literally is a life saving magical ability.
Enkidu
Member
(04-18-2012, 10:06 PM)
Enkidu's Avatar
I just played through the tutorial and it recommended Insane. Should I go for it?

Originally Posted by legbone

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?

On my first play through I went pretty much exclusively sword for most of the game and it was more than viable. The only "mandatory" talent is the roll distance one, which is already in the sword tree (but get that one first, it's great). Don't be afraid of the magic though, it's still very much about using your swords, there is pretty much no way of making a pure mage in this game.

Thread Tools