• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe

ep.2 of akibaranger was meh, i did enjoy the delta red cameo but first episode was way better. i did find yellow a lot more annoying though, i hope she doesnt gonna go full retard later on.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way, don't you guys think Fourze can work in US by simply changing the cast? The whole high school hero theme works well.

So I figured I'd finally settle in and watch some Magiranger.

Nii-chan
Nee-chan
Kaa-san

Damn it, this is what I get for going "Well file size is the more important aspect for me since my Sentai folder is already around 90 gig, I'll just deal with Takenoko-tachi's bullshit instead of getting the scrubs". Seriously, how hard would it have been for them to just use stuff like "bro" and "sis"?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
By the way, don't you guys think Fourze can work in US by simply changing the cast? The whole high school hero theme works well.

Honestly, the only one that I think would have a hard time would be hibiki. The others vary enough to work. Fourze would work well.

vareon

So I figured I'd finally settle in and watch some Magiranger.

Nii-chan
Nee-chan
Kaa-san

Damn it, this is what I get for going "Well file size is the more important aspect for me since my Sentai folder is already around 90 gig, I'll just deal with Takenoko-tachi's bullshit instead of getting the scrubs". Seriously, how hard would it have been for them to just use stuff like "bro" and "sis"?

But the essence, Box of Bunnies-san! Some languages in Nihon will lose its meaning, especially if it's a show about Magiranger-tachi!

Wiseblade

I think the casting would be crucial. All of the main cast run the risk of being painfully annoying if played wrong.

And doesn't most of the fight footage have a bunch of Japanese teenagers standing in the background? I imagine they'd have to re-shoot a lot of fight scenes.

Finally watched Gokaiger: The Flying Ghost Ship. Thought it was a fun little romp, but the G3 Princesses bit kinda came out of nowhere and was maybe a tad much for what was already a goofy movie. Wasn't a fan of the slowmo and shaking/blur in the Gokaiger vs mooks fight, but the final robo fight was really cool. I tend to prefer suits and practical effects for the robots, but CGI really let them up the scale of the battle across the giant ghost ship. I imagine that's where most of the movie's budget went.

But the essence, Box of Bunnies-san! Some languages in Nihon will lose its meaning, especially if it's a show about Magiranger-tachi!

They recently announced that they were going to stop translating "Uchuu Kita" in Fourze, half way into the damn show. It really is the gift that keeps on giving :lol

And doesn't most of the fight footage have a bunch of Japanese teenagers standing in the background? I imagine they'd have to re-shoot a lot of fight scenes.

That's true for a fair bit of modern Rider though, isn't it? OOO, for example, Ankh was always hanging around while Eiji fought, or Gotou with Date.

WillyFive

I'm done with TV-N's translations, or their lack thereof. It makes shows like Dairanger, Magiranger, and Gekiranger a lot harder to watch than it should be.

I'm done with TV-N's translations, or their lack thereof. It makes shows like Dairanger, Magiranger, and Gekiranger a lot harder to watch than it should be.

Yeah so what's their deal with the translations anyway? Is it a mentality of we the best at what we do kind of thing?

Boss Doggie

From what I heard their philosophy is essentially be a weaboo. It's really sad especially when a lot of people get their entry shows from them. Thankfully newer subbers are out and have a backbone not to be bullied by TVN people.

I think Kabuto would be super easy to do in the US. I mean get a big city, yadda, secret organization, bam.

Oh shit, MIB style Kamen Rider!

I think the casting would be crucial. All of the main cast run the risk of being painfully annoying if played wrong.

Huh, didn't realize about the extras. But most of them are usually the student of the week, right?

Finally watched Gokaiger: The Flying Ghost Ship. Thought it was a fun little romp, but the G3 Princesses bit kinda came out of nowhere and was maybe a tad much for what was already a goofy movie. Wasn't a fan of the slowmo and shaking/blur in the Gokaiger vs mooks fight, but the final robo fight was really cool. I tend to prefer suits and practical effects for the robots, but CGI really let them up the scale of the battle across the giant ghost ship. I imagine that's where most of the movie's budget went.

Ghost Ship really feels tacked on. Wash it with Gavan vs Gokaiger!

WillyFive

They should have cancelled The Flying Ghost Ship and divided it's budget for 199 Heroes and Gokaiger vs. Gavan so that we get better special effects and cameras.

It was disappointing having The Flying Ghost Ship be like a bug budget movie while 199 Heroes and Vs. Gavan looked like they were part of the TV show.

Boss Doggie

It was disappointing having The Flying Ghost Ship be like a bug budget movie while 199 Heroes and Vs. Gavan looked like they were part of the TV show.

Hilariously enough, that somehow made the two good over Flying Ghost Ship.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I probably made a mistake by watching the movies out of order since the last one I watched was Ghost Ship.

The movie felt weird since Gai only appears at the beginning and the end. It's almost like he was put in last second or something, as if the movie was meant to only have the 5.

When I first saw Gokai Silver: Gold mode in the opening I thought it was a joke. But no, he actually uses that ugly thing.

WillyFive

I probably made a mistake by watching the movies out of order since the last one I watched was Ghost Ship.

The movie felt weird since Gai only appears at the beginning and the end. It's almost like he was put in last second or something, as if the movie was meant to only have the 5.

Probably, since GokaiSilver premiered in the show only a few weeks before the movie came out.

The Gaoranger and Gekiranger ones were pretty sazzy too.

The Gaoranger movie was definitely experimental, since the characters broke the fourth wall various times to talk to the kids in the audience. The Gekiranger one was very cool in that it felt like an actual Hong Kong kung-fu movie (and it has a really impressive mecha battle).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Starting to dislike these overtime subs. Sometimes there talking but no subs. And sometimes there are these little notes put in extra that take up like 1/3 of the screen.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Starting to dislike these overtime subs. Sometimes there talking but no subs. And sometimes there are these little notes put in extra that take up like 1/3 of the screen.

Its give and take with tv-n and overtime, but I still prefer overtime. The lack of japanese honorifics makes it far more tolerable.

peacedickeido.png

Wait, which show are you watching? I haven't seen their W subs, but I don't remember anything like that in their OOO, Gokai, Fourze, Go-Buster or Akiba releases.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm watching Gokaiger. Maybe it's the video player I'm using? I'm using the GOM player. I'm more concerned with subtitles not showing up than subtitles taking up a bunch of the screen.

Okay, Gokai vs Gavan was pretty boss. Felt like it dragged a tad towards the middle, but a good watch. And man, that Gavan suit.

sparkly.jpg

Robo battle was a fair bit weaker than Ghost Ship's, though.

Gokaiger ...end

brief summary of my experience? Oh snap, that's some good stuff.

Preface, I need to watch the movies, I know.

The series is really great as far as exposure goes. What I appreciated out of the experience is that it's another show that you could tell came from experience. It didn't have any many shortfalls like previous sentai shows I've seen.

In fact, I'd could very little on the filler ep side of things. Character focus eps were really well done *cough Joe cough*. The action and the swagger of being a pirate was always well choreographed, insert scene of Doc fighting for example. Even though the them of the show was a celebration of 35 years of sentai the cast and villains still had their presence on screen and it was never over shadowed.

Favorite eps? Joe focused, Basco shenanigans, & One on one Marvelous fights.

P.S I'd be Luka's sugar daddy any day of the week =p

the yellow ranger in samurai.

Mia's the Pink Ranger and Emily is the Yellow Ranger. Both ready for a pipe down but for different reasons. Yellow Fever and White Girl Booty.

The first was good money well spent and this one is gonna be on PSP so I'll be on that while I wait to break the next Climax Heroes game like I do every year.

Fourze is going the fuck in right now. Ryuusei's bidness is all in the street now and Gentarou is just done. Plot Power Up shenanigans here we come.

Go-Busters is getting kind of restless because I want to see Beet and Stag Buster already. Other than that it's keeping my attention.

Akibaranger is the shit. If you're on the fence just watch. I love a great self parody and Akibaranger is that and then some. I wish them the best in their quest in becoming an Official Sentai.

Power Rangers Samurai is doing Power Rangers Samurai as usual. Mia, Mia, Mia!!!!

I'm loving TokuGAF's new home right now. Glad we have one.

I've actually never heard of this. First one
any good?

Yes. It's a side scrolling beat-em-up with Kamen Riders that's actually good. I had a blast with the first one beating the hell out of things with Faiz and Birth. And if that goodness is any indication of how 2 will be then I'm there. So I say give it a try.

Yes. It's a side scrolling beat-em-up with Kamen Riders that's actually good. I had a blast with the first one beating the hell out of things with Faiz and Birth. And if that goodness is any indication of how 2 will be then I'm there. So I say give it a try.
Sounds interesting. What platform is the first game on?

WillyFive

Super Samurai is doing a really good job at improving itself from Season 1, everything about it seems better, especially the writing and acting. This last episode was really fun.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
"This file is temporarily unavailable while we are performing maintenance on this server."

gaaaaa. Stuck on episode 31 now. I'd rather not go back to T-N subs.

Slayven

Super Samurai is doing a really good job at improving itself from Season 1, everything about it seems better, especially the writing and acting. This last episode was really fun.

I can't get over Paper Mache mode.

Akibaranger villains might rape you, and the Akibaranger greater powers might be better then Gokaiger's.

vareon

Are there many suitless battles or new stunts now? Or still the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom