• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

VAPitts
(04-23-2012, 08:07 PM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

TBH I think Dark Souls has done the Zelda formula better than Zelda has in years.

i really hope your trolling
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(04-23-2012, 08:08 PM)

TBH I think Dark Souls has done the Zelda formula better than Zelda has in years.

This statement always has and continues to bother me to this very day. The only thing dark souls does better than modern Zelda's in comparison to classic Zelda is a sense of discovery, enemy encounters, and difficulty (this games difficulty only appeals to a specific niche audience in the first place and has no place in any general modern gaming single player environment) . I mean it doesn't even have well thought out puzzles or clever dungeon design, staples of the zelda franchise from the first game up until now.

Originally Posted by VAPitts

I'm praying he is.
Last edited by EloquentM; 04-23-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Jorok Goldblade
(04-23-2012, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Rösti

I believe the presentation should be posted on Thursday even, with a little luck. The exact official time I don't know, but Bloomberg Businessweek has it listed as following:

Source: http://investing.businessweek.com/re...icker=NTDOY:US

This converts to 05:00 PM JST on the 26th of April. The earnings release should anyway be readily available.

This presentation is most likely the last opportunity for a name change. They won't want name talk to be the discussion at E3. If the system is still called the Wii U by the end of this meeting, odds are 99.9999999999999% that it will be the final name of the system.
blu
(04-23-2012, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by StevieP

The only thing I found from him in the last 10 pages was a post about a Plantronics headset. Surely there has been more than that in 50 pages. GameplayWhore? You there?

haha

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=10151

(thanks, GW)
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(04-23-2012, 08:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Jorok Goldblade

This presentation is most likely the last opportunity for a name change. They won't want name talk to be the discussion at E3. If the system is still called the Wii U by the end of this meeting, odds are 99.9999999999999% that it will be the final name of the system.

I don't think they're changing it--didn't Rosti say they fixed the copyright issue?
Anth0ny
(04-23-2012, 08:12 PM)

I believe the presentation should be posted on Thursday even, with a little luck. The exact official time I don't know, but Bloomberg Businessweek has it listed as following:

This converts to 05:00 PM JST on the 26th of April. The earnings release should anyway be readily available.

4AM.

It's a fucking party gaf.
Rösti
(04-23-2012, 08:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Plinko

I don't think they're changing it--didn't Rosti say they fixed the copyright issue?

They still have to fix it in Europe and the United States, but they are good to go in Australia, Japan and Mexico. Recent developments point to that Nintendo is keen on keeping the name.
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-23-2012, 08:13 PM)

Why? I can see the reasoning behind it.
Anth0ny
(04-23-2012, 08:15 PM)

I approve this message.
Glorified G
(04-23-2012, 08:15 PM)
Hope they have someone on twitter again for the investor's meeting

Originally Posted by Cabbie

Why? I can see the reasoning behind it.

To some people, different opinion=trolling
ShockingAlberto
(04-23-2012, 08:17 PM)

They seem pretty incomparable but I can already tell this is going to be an awful conversation so I'll just drop it right here.
daakusedo
(04-23-2012, 08:18 PM)
I don't remember if it was last or 2010 e3, but sony conf was a pain to watch due to the main speaker talking so solemnly when he was just selling us some video games and not the better. Indecent.
The guy thought he was in politics or something...
VAPitts
(04-23-2012, 08:19 PM)

why are they have it at that time? is it after the stocks close or something?
Cerebral Assassin
(04-23-2012, 08:21 PM)

Originally Posted by EloquentM

This statement always has and continues to bother me to this very day. The only thing dark souls does better than modern Zelda's in comparison to classic Zelda is a sense of discovery, enemy encounters, and difficulty (this games difficulty only appeals to a specific niche audience in the first place and has no place in any general modern gaming single player environment) . I mean it doesn't even have well thought out puzzles or clever dungeon design, staples of the zelda franchise from the first game up until now.

If Nintendo need to look at external games for the next Zelda game they should be looking at Portal, not DS or Skyrim.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(04-23-2012, 08:22 PM)
heh... I guess I am the only one here who wants to see Sony/MS E3 showing more and more to see how Nintendo's nextgen battle is going to shape up

that Monday will be insanely good :)
HylianTom
would totally do this old lady if his wife were guaranteed not to find out.
(04-23-2012, 08:25 PM)

Originally Posted by AzaK

So bg, if you're saying your predictions about specs were right, I assume that means 1.5GB RAM? Bummer. What else did you predict? Please just tell us and don't be an Ideaman (Assuming you're allowed)

And HylianTom, dud you become privvy to info too?

Nah. I made an offer to sources here on the board some time ago where they could send me info via clearly-labeled emails and I would refuse to open those emails until E3.

Everyone gets something from this deal:
- we get proven sources that feel safe in revealing information.
- sources get a safe means through which to disseminate information while remaining anonymous.

I swore not to open the emails or reveal identities on my dearly departed dog, Jake. To me, an oath on Jake is as solemn as it gets. (it may sound cheesy or sappy, but.. that's how it is for me.)

So I have email in my inbox that remains unopened.. and i remain, uhh..,non-privvy. :)

Then again, those emails could be jokey crap emails, in which case I end-up looking like a fool. But given the potential gain, I'd say it's worth that risk. We shall see..
Last edited by HylianTom; 04-23-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Redford
aka Cabbie

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

heh... I guess I am the only one here who wants to see Sony/MS E3 showing more and more to see how Nintendo's nextgen battle is going to shape up

that Monday will be insanely good :)

Anyone think they'd ever reveal a console post-E3 to circumvent their promise?

(not that I would be surprised to see them not honor it)
IceDoesntHelp
Banned

This is false.

Also, where the hell did this come from, why even bring it up?
axisofweevils
Amazing Tweet from Saturo Shibata (NoE):

https://twitter.com/#!/NintendoEurop...66193623629825

LOL!
Last edited by axisofweevils; 04-23-2012 at 08:28 PM.
SolidSnakex
(04-23-2012, 08:28 PM)
Has Nintendo made any comments about implementing a trophy/achievement system in the Wii U? It's never been an important feature to me, but it seems like a lot of people (particularly the more hardcore gamers) have become fairly attached to those systems. There have even been people on this forum that refused to buy early PS3 games (like Valkyria Chronicles) due to it not having trophy support. And i've seen several gaming sites talking about how addictive they are. I doubt that it'd hurt the potential success of the system if it isn't there, but it does seem like something that people would complain about.
Fourth Storm
(04-23-2012, 08:28 PM)

Originally Posted by axisofweevils

Amazing Tweet from Saturo Shibata (NoE) just now:

LOL!

When did NOE become cooler than NOA?

Oh yeah, they got Terranigma back in the day. I guess it's nothing new...
Anth0ny
(04-23-2012, 08:33 PM)

Originally Posted by IceDoesntHelp

This is false.

Also, where the hell did this come from, why even bring it up?

It's the Wii U speculation thread. Anything and everything can be brought up.

The scale and density of the Dark Souls overworld is something I'd like to see in the next Zelda, instead of huge, empty fields, oceans or skies.
Agent Unknown
(04-23-2012, 08:33 PM)

Originally Posted by AzaK

So bg, if you're saying your predictions about specs were right, I assume that means 1.5GB RAM? Bummer. What else did you predict? Please just tell us and don't be an Ideaman (Assuming you're allowed)

And HylianTom, dud you become privvy to info too?

Yikes, now I'm getting scared again. Have any (reasonable) devs hinted at RAM size?
Gravijah
(04-23-2012, 08:34 PM)
you can't interact with the souls worlds much. it should be more like elder scrolls with plates and pots and forks. and foods.
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-23-2012, 08:34 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

Has Nintendo made any comments about implementing a trophy/achievement system in the Wii U? It's never been an important feature to me, but it seems like a lot of people (particularly the more hardcore gamers) have become fairly attached to those systems. There have even been people on this forum that refused to buy early PS3 games (like Valkyria Chronicles) due to it not having trophy support. And i've seen several gaming sites talking about how addictive they are. I doubt that it'd hurt the potential success of the system if it isn't there, but it does seem like something that people would complain about.

I think having any kind of meta-game system is a good idea, in the long run. There are people who take it to immature extremes, but overall I think it's nice to have secondary objectives in games, as long as they're well done.

Nintendo would probably put a better spin on the idea, I expect.

Originally Posted by Gravijah

you can't interact with the souls worlds much. it should be more like elder scrolls with plates and pots and forks. and foods.

I think at least in the way Anth0ny compares it to the original Zelda, they are quite similar.

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

It's the Wii U speculation thread. Anything and everything can be brought up.

The scale and density of the Dark Souls overworld is something I'd like to see in the next Zelda, instead of huge, empty fields, oceans or skies.

These things can be nice if intended (see SotC), but yeah that's not the case with the games I think you're referring to.
Last edited by Redford; 04-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Sadist
(04-23-2012, 08:35 PM)

LOL!

Well played hehe
blu
(04-23-2012, 08:37 PM)

LOL!

Shibata is cool. Next thing he does he takes Patcher's name and puts it in a folder.
HylianTom
(04-23-2012, 08:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Gravijah

Hell yes. Being able to fling a cup across the room can be pretty therapeutic at times..
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Agent Unknown

Yikes, now I'm getting scared again. Have any (reasonable) devs hinted at RAM size?

Lherre said it was likely more than 1. Not sure why 1.5 is "frightening". That was always my guess and made the most sense. The PS4 is likely not to have much more, honestly.
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(04-23-2012, 08:39 PM)

Originally Posted by blu

Shibata is cool. Next thing he does he takes Patcher's name and puts it in a folder.

Or tells IGN to go away because he only talks to the real press. HA HA!
TheExplodingHead
Banned
(04-23-2012, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by HylianTom

Hell yes. Being able to fling a cup across the room can be pretty therapeutic at times..

Agreed, throwing pot/cup after dying to Smough would take the edge off my nerves. But I guess that means there needs to be a interactive kitchen table next to every bonfire. :P

But yeah, Dark Souls with TEV object interactivity would be amazing where it's applicable.
Fourth Storm
(04-23-2012, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Lherre said it was likely more than 1. Not sure why 1.5 is "frightening". That was always my guess and made the most sense. The PS4 is likely not to have much more, honestly.

Yeah, 1.5 GB is a decent amount. I've been dying to know what type it is, though (GDDR3/GDDR5/DDR3/something crazy). There's an incredibly wide range of bandwidth possibilities without knowing the type.
Instro
(04-23-2012, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

They seem pretty incomparable but I can already tell this is going to be an awful conversation so I'll just drop it right here.

I feel these Dark Souls comparisons are becoming the new "Zelda should be like Elder Scrolls".
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-23-2012, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Instro

I feel these Dark Souls comparisons are becoming the new "Zelda should be like Elder Scrolls".

The underlying point being that it should become more western.
GameplayWhore
(04-23-2012, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Yes, but I think this group are populated with fans of IdeaMan and AceBandage's brief conversation in which it became rather clear that the former was certain that the retail version of the system would have greater than 1.5GB memory. Many people have believed this so hard that anything less than 2GB would be a travesty.

edit: Oh, wait, AceBandage is you!
TheExplodingHead
Banned

Originally Posted by Fourth Storm

Yeah, 1.5 GB is a decent amount. I've been dying to know what type it is, though (GDDR3/GDDR5/DDR3/something crazy). There's an incredibly wide range of bandwidth possibilities without knowing the type.

My gut says it's between 1.5-2GB in retail units (with 1-1.5 used for games). And DDR3 at launch, but like you say it could also be something crazy.
NeoGohan
Banned
Role-Playing> Nintendo Wii U > Deep Silver Inc.

(Risen??)

3D Development > Nintendo Wii U > VEFXi

VEFXi Corporation is the leading manufacturer of high-quality 2D to 3D real-time video hardware converters and audio/video system products. Our most popular model, the 3D-Bee Platinum and the industry's first live video 2D to glasses-free 3D converter called 3D-Bee Ultimate was introduced at CES 2012. At E3 we will be showcasing our newest model which we excpet to be our most popular model, the 3D-Bee Diamond with all new stunning depth & popout capabilities for the technical 3D gamer. Also showing will be our game-designer/movie-studio/broadcast realtime 2D to 3D video editing software/hardware system with realtime 3D playback rendering and keyframe editing. VEFXi 3D is going to knock your socks off!

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

not sure if this has been posted before
Rösti
(04-23-2012, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by NeoGohan

Role-Playing> Nintendo Wii U > Deep Silver Inc.

(Risen??)

3D Development > Nintendo Wii U > VEFXi

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

not sure if this has been posted before

It has been posted plenty of times, by me. At least the exhibitor listing, not the press release though. Nevertheless it's nice that you bring it up.

I have that page bookmarked.
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

Yes, but I think this group are populated with fans of IdeaMan and AceBandage's brief conversation in which it became rather clear that the former was certain that the retail version of the system would have greater than 1.5GB memory. Many people have believed this so hard that anything less than 2GB would be a travesty.

Well the question becomes. Is that 1.5 the total or is it just what devs can use.
-Pyromaniac-
(04-23-2012, 08:49 PM)

I'm praying he is.

lol dat heatt.

First dude: I'm not trolling, mostly, sort of. I am but only because there is a truth to it.

Second dude (elequent) and Third dude (Alberto): I am speaking strictly on presentation. The way the game is presented to the player, the way the dungeons are presented to players, the way the overworld is presented, the way EVERYTHING in the game is presented to the player I think the edge belongs to Dark Souls.

To me Dark Souls is almost how I want Zelda to be. I say almost because I still want Zelda to remain Zelda, that goes to what elequent was saying, I still want clever puzzles, and all that other zelda charm that goes along with being a zelda game. I never want/expect that to go away. But man, having a Zelda game with all the zelda charms, in a world like dark souls (and no I don't mean dark and difficult), I mean a very large world that is filled with things for Link to discover whether it's weapons, more hearts, or whatever else, loads of hidden bosses or little mini bosses sprinkled throughout, seamless travel between different areas, dungeons being more incorporated with the overall world of the game. Make me feel like Link is on an adventure/journey. Obviously I don't expect no handholding whatsoever, but less is the start of many things they could do better.

I find it hard to believe that anyone here can argue that the way Zelda is presented to the player can't be better. It can be a LOT better.

Some of you assume I mean to make zelda some dark ass fucking difficult ass loot filled extravaganza of a game, but I'm not, I strictly mean presentation. That idea of beginning > dungeon to dungeon to dungeon > end of game.

not mine one bit
Last edited by -Pyromaniac-; 04-23-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Fourth Storm
(04-23-2012, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

If they're using DDR3, it probably would be. They'd need a certain amount of chips to secure a bandwidth which even matches the 360's, so the more RAM they add in, the better the potential bandwidth. GDDR3/GDDR5 would be a different story...
Deguello
(04-23-2012, 08:51 PM)

Honestly, I have no idea how to make something more "western," because that's another one of those tricky definitions no one ever pins down exactly, which then leaves me no choice but to resort to stereotypes.

This also furthers my belief that "eastern" will be the new "casual."
ShockingAlberto
(04-23-2012, 08:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Deguello

Honestly, I have no idea how to make something more "western," because that's another one of those tricky definitions no one ever pins down exactly, which then resorts to stereotypes.

Deguello
(04-23-2012, 08:53 PM)

Well, yeah, that's one definition! Like does "western" mean cowboys? Grizzled white 30-something hardcases? Military porn?

Or is it just location? Like, Retro has very frequent conferences with Nintendo in Japan. Typically, Retro makes games very similarly to EAD in a lot of respects. Is it just location then? And if it is, is there some sort of Longitude where "eastern" ends and "western" begins?
Last edited by Deguello; 04-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.
blu
(04-23-2012, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by BGBW

Or tells IGN to go away because he only talks to the real press. HA HA!

That's trivial. He should go for the ultimate nintendo executive test - he books a business talk with Balmer, and when the other party arrives Shibata just unzips, whips it out and encourages the other party to get straight to business. Like a boss.
GameplayWhore
(04-23-2012, 08:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Fourth Storm

If they're using DDR3, it probably would be. They'd need a certain amount of chips to secure a bandwidth which even matches the 360's, so the more RAM they add in, the better the potential bandwidth. GDDR3/GDDR5 would be a different story...

Do you think it would be worth it for Nintendo to skimp on memory costs (by way of using the older memory type) then increase cache sizes to compensate for the lost performance?
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-23-2012, 08:55 PM)

lol dat heatt.

I find it hard to believe that anyone here can argue that the way Zelda is presented to the player can't be better. It can be a LOT better.

Some of you assume I mean to make zelda some dark ass fucking difficult ass loot filled extravaganza of a game, but I'm not, I strictly mean presentation. That idea of beginning > dungeon to dungeon to dungeon > end of game.

So production value. I don't think Zelda needs to be "like" anything, it just needs a (big) bump in production value.

And I mean PV in the sense you do, with a more detailed overworld that I think Aunoma's dev team simply isn't capable of. Or maybe it was the fault of the Wii hardware, I don't know. Hopefully I can be proven wrong.

not mine one bit

Yes, it is. Don't backpeddle.

(And yes, I'm quite aware that DS is an eastern-developed game. It still has western elements)
Last edited by Redford; 04-23-2012 at 08:59 PM.
-Pyromaniac-
(04-23-2012, 08:57 PM)

Yes, it is. Don't backpeddle.

no it's not, did I ever say that? You're the one who said it not me. I don't even know what the fuck making something more western means. To me Dark Souls is an RPG made by a japanese developer and nothing more. I choose not to label. In fact if you've seen me post in the past I've stated that I disliked a lot of western made RPGs because I found them to be a tad bland/generic. Which is why I made a point of the fact that I love the Zelda charm.
HylianTom
(04-23-2012, 08:59 PM)
I just want Zelda's world to less resemble a Habitrail cage. Fewer trails/tunnels/tracks from one area to another, more of an open world where I can get lost once again. This isn't about being more or less like Elder Scrolls; this is about being more like the original Zelda and Link to the Past and the Wind Waker titles.

Imagine one area being Kakariko, one area being Lake Hylia, etc etc.
Dreamwriter
(04-23-2012, 09:00 PM)

This statement always has and continues to bother me to this very day. The only thing dark souls does better than modern Zelda's in comparison to classic Zelda is a sense of discovery

Which to me is the #1 feature a Zelda game MUST have. Without that, it's just not Zelda to me. And Skyward Sword didn't have that.