• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Forsaken82
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
Forsaken82's Avatar
My point still stands... It has happened before. PC Gamer used to be notorious for it.
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Wait, is NP bimonthly now? The last issue was the April one.

Is it? Regardless, it won't have anything from E3 in it.
IceDoesntHelp
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
IceDoesntHelp's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Wait, is NP bimonthly now? The last issue was the April one.

The image is from the May issue.
HylianTom
would totally do this old lady if his wife were guaranteed not to find out.
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
HylianTom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Wait, is NP bimonthly now? The last issue was the April one.

I think so. Going back to its roots, but still kinda sad.
( I also miss the excellent subscription bonuses..)
Hero of Legend
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar
It definitely looks like a JP-style image. Some sort of giant weapon?
themadcowtipper
Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
(04-23-2012, 11:19 PM)
themadcowtipper's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandonh83

"or you'll rue your fate, comrade"

Sounds like Kojima dialogue.

Red Alert Remake with play controls....
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(04-23-2012, 11:19 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

Originally Posted by IceDoesntHelp

The issue from that image is from the May issue.

Yeah, figured that out. I was initially confused, since nothing else from the May issue (which only just reached subscribers) seems to have been posted online yet.
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:19 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

It definitely looks like a JP-style image. Some sort of giant weapon?

Honestly, my first thought was that it was Die-Gurren.
But I've been marathoning the series lately, so...
GameplayWhore
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:21 PM)
GameplayWhore's Avatar
I'm disappointed by the latest devkit news. One of Nintendo's little demons is the tendency to think up new concepts then be unable to implement them all in time for launch. It would be a bit of a downer if some of what we saw at last E3 wasn't available as a feature until some future, post-release "upcoming system update".
Fourth Storm
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:22 PM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar
Don't we know who are making the Wii U camera? I coulda sworn that was confirmed a while back...
IceDoesntHelp
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:22 PM)
IceDoesntHelp's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Yeah, figured that out. I was initially confused, since nothing else from the May issue (which only just reached subscribers) seems to have been posted online yet.

I edited to slow, my grammar was atrocious.
I haven't gotten mine yet ):
I hope I get it tomorrow.


I
radioheadrule83
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:22 PM)
radioheadrule83's Avatar
A lot of what was shown in the reveal video looked like OS functionality or dedicated apps to me, I can believe that the camera stuff wasn't finalised or readied for the v4 sdk, but I don't think that'll have any bearing on what the machine does at launch. Why do devs need access or knowledge of what the OS is going to do in its entirity? They don't really. And there are other things they could have been working on while Nintendo finalised the camera stuff... Nintendo clearly plan for at least a video chat app and this hasn't been rushed like the 3DS -- whereas 3DS had to wait for its shop and certain apps, I'm 100% certain they'll avoid that with Wii-U.
GameplayWhore
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:23 PM)
GameplayWhore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

It definitely looks like a JP-style image. Some sort of giant weapon?

It looks to me like an overview of a city or a body of water by a port.
DrWong
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:25 PM)
DrWong's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

You should simul-post it on Vandal to reward their undying love and worship of you.

Dual Hype!

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Sounds like typical Nintendo, actually.
Some things won't be really used until later because they focus on specific things first.

Yep!

Ideaman, about these Upad features you didn't mention: are you talking about not known (no E3 2011 demo) features?
Kjellson
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:27 PM)
Kjellson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Wii U related?

Looks like the map of a European microstate.
VAPitts
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:28 PM)
VAPitts's Avatar

Originally Posted by themadcowtipper

Devkit downgrades confirmed....

lol do u HAVE to immediately think the negative?
Discomurf
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:30 PM)
Discomurf's Avatar
Yeah I'm thinking Metro: Last Light for Wii U

Makes sense since it was already announced and this issue is prior to E3.

Note the dialog:
http://youtu.be/iCVREJyyZWA
Last edited by Discomurf; 04-23-2012 at 11:44 PM.
AlStrong
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:32 PM)
AlStrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurntPork

High latency at low speeds?

The latency and bandwidth for GDDR3 and DDR3 are very similar. DDR3 has the main advantage of still being in high production (GDDR3 has been EOL'd awhile back), lower power consumption, and higher chip densities. There is absolutely no advantage to using GDDR3 over DDR3, and one should note that DDR3 is often the choice these days for lower end GPUs (cost factor).

By the way, there's something I've been meaning to ask you. Whenever the subject of of the GPU fab comes up, you never mention the possibility of Nintendo choosing NEC like they have for the past two generations and you seem pretty adamant that they'll use TMSC's 40nm. Is there a particular reason for that?

I had the impression that NEC had higher prices - which was the reason MS switched to TSMC (larger fab capacity) - even for an older node (360 slim die sizes indicated 55/65nm eDRAM).

edit: Besides, they may be making use of IBM technology design for the eDRAM design anyway.
Last edited by AlStrong; 04-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
TheCongressman1
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:32 PM)
TheCongressman1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kjellson

Looks like the map of a European microstate.

That's what I was thinking. It definitely looks like a country or something.
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(04-23-2012, 11:32 PM)
BGBW's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kjellson

Looks like the map of a European microstate.

Looks like a shape that, even after we know what the game is, we still won't have the foggiest idea what it is meant to be hinting at.
jump_button
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:33 PM)
jump_button's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Wii U related?

looks like the out line to a city :/ GTA Wii U? lol Gaf would melt down
Trevelyan
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:36 PM)
Trevelyan's Avatar
What other games would have dialoge similar to "Rue your fate, comrade" ? Trying to think of Nintendo IPs that would fit that bill but having a hard time.
comedy bomb
Fluffy women turds
(04-23-2012, 11:37 PM)
comedy bomb's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Yeah I'm thinking Metro: Last Light for Wii U

Makes sense since it was already announced and this issue is prior to E3.

Note the dialog: (after 6:10)
http://youtu.be/iCVREJyyZWA

Possible I guess. They have been doing small previews of Wii U games using 360/PS3 screens.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(04-23-2012, 11:38 PM)
IdeaMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameplayWhore

I'm disappointed by the latest devkit news. One of Nintendo's little demons is the tendency to think up new concepts then be unable to implement them all in time for launch. It would be a bit of a downer if some of what we saw at last E3 wasn't available as a feature until some future, post-release "upcoming system update".

It was the situation in January/February. They have a lot of time to implement all the features, but it's an interesting peak on the Wii U designing process, with, it seems, a heavy focus at first on the hardware guts & capability to handle two screens (and a tactile + motion controller) & DRC streaming/wireless technology (this focus is seen through the main changes of the dev kits & sdk until recently). It's rather logic. And as briefly reminded in my previous big post, it could also be one of the explanations to the huge memory space reserved for the OS/Background layer on v4 dev kits, because it was heavily in development and they didn't know its imprint, the activation of more and more features, the addition of new ones, etc.

Originally Posted by radioheadrule83

A lot of what was shown in the reveal video looked like OS functionality or dedicated apps to me, I can believe that the camera stuff wasn't finalised or readied for the v4 sdk, but I don't think that'll have any bearing on what the machine does at launch. Why do devs need access or knowledge of what the OS is going to do in its entirity? They don't really. And there are other things they could have been working on while Nintendo finalised the camera stuff... Nintendo clearly plan for at least a video chat app and this hasn't been rushed like the 3DS -- whereas 3DS had to wait for its shop and certain apps, I'm 100% certain they'll avoid that with Wii-U.

I agree. But with this info, you can be nearly sure that some of what we've seen in the E3 2011 presentation video wasn't "real", just mockups/concrete-concept-art of what they plan to have for the Wii U. Especially the video calls part.
Sadist
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:38 PM)
Sadist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trevelyan

What other games would have dialoge similar to "Rue your fate, comrade" ? Trying to think of Nintendo IPs that would fit that bill but having a hard time.

I don't think it's related to a Nintendo IP.

The Metro Last Light guess is pretty good I'd say.
BD1
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:41 PM)
BD1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Wii U related?

007 Collection Wii/3DS/Wii U reveal?

Multiple Generations of Bonds

Russians
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:41 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

007 Collection Wii/3DS/Wii U reveal?

Multiple Generations of Bonds

Russians

Still seems weird that they would do two Bond games in a year.
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-23-2012, 11:42 PM)
Redford's Avatar
All good guesses but none are really a "cover story for the generations."

Unless "generations" is in the title (lame).
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(04-23-2012, 11:43 PM)
Fantastical's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cabbie

All good guesses but none are really a "cover story for the generations."

Unless "generations" is in the title (lame).

Yeah, that's the part that's throwing me off.
IdeaMan
My source is my ass!
(04-23-2012, 11:44 PM)
IdeaMan's Avatar
For the scan, it looks like a stylized Russia map, you can spot the Kamchatka, etc.

If you have some questions about my post, i'm here, don't hesitate, if i can answer. A pity that i've not seen the scan before posting my message, it will be overlooked :p
BD1
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:45 PM)
BD1's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Still seems weird that they would do two Bond games in a year.

I'm pretty sure Shiggy said in the 007 Collection thread that the Skyfall Wii U game he leaked and 007 Collection are the same. So no Skyfall only Wii U game. (Assuming that's the second Bond game you're talking about)
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:46 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

I'm pretty sure Shiggy said in the 007 Collection thread that the Skyfall Wii U game he leaked and 007 Collection are the same. So no Skyfall only Wii U game. (Assuming that's the second Bons game you're talking about)

Really?
Interesting.
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(04-23-2012, 11:46 PM)
EvilMario's Avatar
You guys should stop quoting Discomurf's image, or he's going to get the ax. Or are these scans okay in Wii U Spec land?

Also, I hope it's the outline of some Monster Hunter with a weapon. ;_;
Instro
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:47 PM)
Instro's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

007 Collection Wii/3DS/Wii U reveal?

Multiple Generations of Bonds

Russians

Actually that would probably fit if Shiggy wasn't lying.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(04-23-2012, 11:47 PM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvilMario

You guys should stop quoting Discomurf's image, or he's going to get the ax.

Also, I hope it's the outline of some Monster Hunter with a weapon. ;_;

I believe those types of pages have always been considered fine by the powers that be.
GhostTrick
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:48 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

For the scan, it looks like a stylized Russia map, you can spot the Kamchatka, etc.

If you have some questions about my post, i'm here, don't hesitate, if i can answer. A pity that i've not seen the scan before posting my message, it will be overlooked :p


Let's talk about ram. If "TF1" means 1 a
nd "France 2" means 2..
How much ram there is ?;p
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(04-23-2012, 11:48 PM)
EvilMario's Avatar

Originally Posted by schuelma

I believe those types of pages have always been considered fine by the powers that be.

I am so afraid of posting scans that I don't link to sites that link to sites that link to scans.
NeoGohan
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Discomurf

Wii U related?

BD1
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:48 PM)
BD1's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Really?
Interesting.

Yep, here it is.

http://http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37060269&postcount=61
BurntPork
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:48 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlStrong

The latency and bandwidth for GDDR3 and DDR3 are very similar. DDR3 has the main advantage of still being in high production (GDDR3 has been EOL'd awhile back), lower power consumption, and higher chip densities. There is absolutely no advantage to using GDDR3 over DDR3, and one should note that DDR3 is often the choice these days for lower end GPUs (cost factor).



I had the impression that NEC had higher prices - which was the reason MS switched to TSMC (larger fab capacity) - even for an older node (360 slim die sizes indicated 55/65nm eDRAM).

Hm. I thought GDDR3 was a bit faster.

One last thing. Based on what you've said here and on B3D forums, 240-320 SPUs is the most reasonable range and anything over 400 is pretty much impossible in a case that size on 40nm, right?
DragonKnight
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:49 PM)
DragonKnight's Avatar
What's this about a Shiggy leak?
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(04-23-2012, 11:49 PM)
Fantastical's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

Yep, here it is.

http://http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37060269&postcount=61

Oh, okay. That makes more sense than Metro.
BD1
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:50 PM)
BD1's Avatar

Originally Posted by DragonKnight

What's this about a Shiggy leak?

Shiggy posted a thread (and quickly deleted) revealing a Skyfall Wii U game a few weeks back.


Originally Posted by Fantastical

Oh, okay. That makes more sense than Metro.

Just to clarify, that link is about the alleged Wii U Skyfall game and 007 Legends being one-in-the-same. Not that the scan is about 007 Legends on Wii U.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(04-23-2012, 11:51 PM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdeaMan

For the scan, it looks like a stylized Russia map, you can spot the Kamchatka, etc.

If you have some questions about my post, i'm here, don't hesitate, if i can answer. A pity that i've not seen the scan before posting my message, it will be overlooked :p

Do you honestly think they're going for a facial recognition sign-in like on Kinect?
GhostTrick
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:52 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurntPork

Hm. I thought GDDR3 was a bit faster.

One last thing. Based on what you've said here and on B3D forums, 240-320 SPUs is the most reasonable range and anything over 400 is pretty much impossible in a case that size on 40nm, right?


640 is the most logic case.
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(04-23-2012, 11:52 PM)
Fantastical's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

Just to clarify, that link is about the alleged Wii U Skyfall game and 007 Legends being one-in-the-same. Not that the scan is about 007 Legends on Wii U.

Yeah I understand, but it makes the "generations" part make sense.
Maxrunner
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by bgassassin





I said I was accurate on the early target specs. That's a key part to remember.

So it has less or more now?
antonz
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:54 PM)
antonz's Avatar
The red image could be a very stylized Russia.
Penguin
(04-23-2012, 11:55 PM)
Penguin's Avatar

Originally Posted by BD1

007 Collection Wii/3DS/Wii U reveal?

Multiple Generations of Bonds

Russians

Yeah it seems to fit.
And it would make sense that Bond would be one of the key titles for Nintendo. Kind of like Goldeneye 2 years ago.
AceBandage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:55 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maxrunner

So it has less or more now?

Consoles pretty much never go DOWN from target specs, so...

Originally Posted by Penguin

Yeah it seems to fit.
And it would make sense that Bond would be one of the key titles for Nintendo. Kind of like Goldeneye 2 years ago.


Or the remake even more recently, which was a key title at their E3 conference.

Thread Tools