• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factor 5 -> dead
Argonaut -> dead
Iguana -> dead
Cing -> dead
Left Field Productions -> yeah...
Silicon Knights -> lol
Rare -> rofl

Gaia is also dead, but they never even finished their Wii game in the first place. But there are exceptions: Angel Studios was part of the Nintendo Dream Team, and became Rockstar San Diego. And DMA Design is known today as Rockstar North.

Cool list. (edit: not cool that they died, cool that you shared it)

Also, Free Radical was principally made by early Rare exeunters, and they pretty much got hazed. But now they (like your two exceptions) were bought up by a powerful third party (Crytek in this case).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I wonder why Nintendo recently broke library compatibility. As of a few days ago, you can't link binaries unless all objects are compiled with GHS 5.3.10 or later. That's a rather significant change - not something that should happen at a minor version bump (bugfix release). So what exactly made that change necessary? Did Nintendo switch from IBM XL to GHS? Or were there ABI changes (new, slightly incompatible processor)? And why use such an exotic and incredibly expensive compiler in the first place?
My guess would be a security fix.

Might as well be the DOW for the hype market.

WUST_120424a.png

There's your "hype index". ;)

We're barely trending over "last gen" now, but I think we're going to spike in the next two days.

wsippel

Banned
Cool list. (edit: not cool that they died, cool that you shared it)

Also, Free Radical was principally made by early Rare exeunters, and they pretty much got hazed. But now they (like your two exceptions) were bought up by a powerful third party (Crytek in this case).
Free Radical wasn't Nintendo exclusive or anything. In fact, their first game was a PS2 exclusive - and their last game was a PS3 exclusive.

Free Radical wasn't Nintendo exclusive or anything. In fact, their first game was a PS2 exclusive - and their last game was a PS3 exclusive.

Oh, I know that. It's just interesting that they were sort of an offshoot of a Nintendo second party, and that the company had a history during Gen 6 of being beloved by many Nintendo fans.

McNum

That's some spooky, mystical stuff.

We've heard of Nintendo Magic.. is there such a thing as "Nintendo Black Arts?"
"But I think you're nice and maybe we could be friends... and if you say no, you're toast." -Ashley, WarioWare

Based on a true story.

wsippel

Banned
My guess would be a security fix.
Thought about that. But that would mean they intentionally broke linker compatibility. Also, from what I understand, it's up to devs - either compile everything with GHS 5.3.10+, or use what they used before whatever change broke everything.

HylianTom

Banned
Today they are "casual", but back then they were "kiddie."
I wonder what the adjective for this decade is going to be?

At some point, critics are going to get lazy and they're just going to describe games and systems as being "too Nintendo."

Today they are "casual", but back then they were "kiddie."

A M-rated game on Wii U will not be the same as an M-rated game on a purple lunchbox. (chill out, I loved GCN.)

I know, I'm jokey about the whole matter. :)

Still, there is still an upwards struggle involved to turn the minds of a lot of people who still think (after, for example, Nintendo allowed boobs in BMX XXX but Sony forced them to be censored) that Nintendo is "anti-Mature" compared to its competition.

I probably shouldn't laugh.. I know short hand... but do love the fact that each trend has a "Cum" factor.

Perhaps you noticed that the cumulative lines for each thread are getting progressively more straight and vertical. ;)

I wonder what the adjective for this decade is going to be?

At some point, critics are going to get lazy and they're just going to describe games and systems as being "too Nintendo."

Somebody in this thread has pushed the idea that "Eastern" will be considered a negative term in the US this coming gen. The developer who berated a bunch of Japanese devs right in front of them for making terrible games a few weeks ago, for instance.

HylianTom

Banned
Somebody in this thread has pushed the idea that "Eastern" will be considered a negative term in the US this coming gen. The developer who berated a bunch of Japanese devs right in front of them for making terrible games a few weeks ago, for instance.

Maybe Terrell? He and I have had some fantastic conversations on the topic.

I wonder if Japanese developers are at some point going to say essentially, "oh yeah? Well good luck without our support, MS! Same to you, Sony, you westernizing sell-outs!"
(I wish..)

BD1

Banned
I know, I'm jokey about the whole matter. :)

Still, there is still an upwards struggle involved to turn the minds of a lot of people who still think (after, for example, Nintendo allowed boobs in BMX XXX but Sony forced them to be censored) that Nintendo is "anti-Mature" compared

Oops, sorry! But yes, Nintendo does still have that stigma somewhat. I think that stems from Nintendo staring you right in the eyes and unapologetically telling you they make games for "matures gamers", and for moms, and for young children and for gamers who just love games. They make no excuses for being a company that caters to everyone.

I can totally see "too eastern" being the stupid new label of the next round of platforms.

Maybe Terrell? He and I have had some fantastic conversations on the topic.

I wonder if Japanese developers are at some point going to say essentially, "oh yeah? Well good luck without our support, MS! Same to you, Sony, you westernizing sell-outs!"
(I wish..)

Kojima in particular has expressed much interest in being more "Western-like". Capcom as a whole is trying to Westernize their big titles (most notably Resident of WarEvil).

I think if something was to get a late conversion from Wii to U, Pikmin would have an easier transition than most games. The Pikmin themselves and many of the common enemies like bulborbs are simple curvy designs with large swaths of flat color or simple patterns. Much easier to smooth out and get looking closer to their pre-rendered counterparts than, say, if the characters of Xenoblade needed to be remade.

I think if something was to get a late conversion from Wii to U, Pikmin would have an easier transition than most games. The Pikmin themselves and many of the common enemies like bulborbs are simple curvy designs with large swaths of flat color or simple patterns. Much easier to smooth out and get looking closer to their pre-rendered counterparts than, say, if the characters of Xenoblade needed to be remade.

There are a few Nintendo franchises that fit that bill. Kirby, Mario, even Pokémon to an extent. This will probably make Nintendo's transfer to the higher resolutions an easier transition than other companies had.

Conor 419

Banned
Current Standing of Nintendo Ip's as of this generation

(Excludes compilation IP's and focuses on hardcore appeal)

Note - Three A team titles would beat 7 B team titles in a fight, and so fourth.

A Team

- Mario: Lord Paramount of Nintendo
- Pokémon
- Zelda

B Team

- Kirby: Lord Commander of the B team
- Donkey Kong
- Xenoblade
- Kid Icarus
- Fire Emblem
- Advance Wars
- Golden Sun
- Metroid: Master of Dimensions
- Sin and Punishment

C Team

- Animal Crossing: Lord Regent of the C team.
- Pikmin
- Punch Out
- Pilotwings
- F-Zero
- Starfox
- Yoshi
- Wario
- Excite
- Endless Ocean
- Steel Diver

Reserve Team

- Earthbound
- Startropics
- Balloon Fight
- Waverace

To clarify on some of the decisions I made here, I see where the Animal Crossing controversy has come from.

This list takes into account age, sales and critical acclaim and so this list is changing all of the time. For example, at the end of the last generation Pokémon would have been the Lord Paramount of the company, with Metroid coming in second and Mario arguably only scraping the A team.

Wild World sold fantastically and would have appropriately been pushing the A team during that period, but it came out seven years ago. The most recent Animal Crossing sold B team numbers, but it had C team acclaim. Combining those factors with the ageing City Follk has left AC as the C team Captain. It'll no doubt be promoted with the arrival of the 3DS version.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Am I the only one thinking releasing Pikmin 2 on Wii in NA in June is to raise awareness of the franchise so Pikmin 3 will sell more?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Am I the only one thinking releasing Pikmin 2 on Wii in NA in June is to raise awareness of the franchise so Pikmin 3 will sell more?

Makes sense.
I can also imagine a Metroid Trilogy style box set later down the line.

Newer Play Control - Pikmin Trilogy. Works with the tablet controller!

BD1

Banned
To clarify on some of the decisions I made here, I see where the Animal Crossing controversy has come from.

This list takes into account age, sales and critical acclaim and so this list is changing all of the time. For example, at the end of the last generation Pokémon would have been the Lord Paramount of the company, with Metroid coming in second and Mario arguably only scraping the A team.

Wild World sold fantastically and would have appropriately been pushing the A team during that period, but it came out seven years ago. The most recent Animal Crossing sold B team numbers, but it had C team acclaim. Combining those factors with the ageing City Follk has left AC as the C team Captain. It'll no doubt be promoted with the arrival of the 3DS version.

Donkey Kong should be in tier A. Especially if criteria is age, sales and critical acclaim.

HylianTom

Banned
You're reading my mind, and I'm having an internal struggle because of this.

Do I pick-up Pikmin 1 & 2 NPC now, or do I wait and hope for an HD Trilogy Collection?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
You're reading my mind, and I'm having an internal struggle because of this.

Do I pick-up Pikmin 1 & 2 NPC now, or do I wait and hope for an HD Trilogy Collection?

Thing is, you don't want Nintendo to do a "Pikmin 2 didn't sell so we're delaying Pikmin 3" thing.

Conor 419

Banned
Donkey Kong should be in tier A. Especially if criteria is age, sales and critical acclaim.

I meant age in terms of, when has the franchise recently been active. Hence why Earthbound, despite Lord Paramount potential, is currently in the reserves.

It's a good point, I just feel that with Kirby's highly persistant good, recent releases and strong sales leaves the IP in a stronger position.

StevieP

Banned
No, I'm just stating what we know right now. Based on what has been said by people like lherre and BG and what we know is physically possible.
More than 2GB of RAM in a 2012 console is not going to happen, especially not from Nintendo.
If we assume that they go for the absolute maximum, then, and we assume that they are in face using a large portion of memory for background functions, then we can easily figure out what the split would be.

DDR3 has a high density. It's only GDDR5 that currently top out at 2GB with 8 chips.
I previously thought Nintendo would be using GDDR3 (as it's what they used in the Wii as well, and they have full BC with Wii still) but AlStrong has sort of warmed me up to the idea that maybe they're using DDR3.

Me neither. That's why I kind of chuckle when guys like specialguy pull a messageboard drive-by and post their twisted views of this thread. As far as I can tell, everyone has their expectations in check.

Not everyone. There is definitely some over-excited insanity in here lol.

In this case, it [being parody of other hardware] works either way.

C'mon you can't be serious... MS is going above 4GB now? (lol)

I wonder why Nintendo recently broke library compatibility. As of a few days ago, you can't link binaries unless all objects are compiled with GHS 5.3.10 or later. That's a rather significant change - not something that should happen at a minor version bump (bugfix release). So what exactly made that change necessary? Did Nintendo switch from IBM XL to GHS? Or were there ABI changes (new, slightly incompatible processor)? And why use such an exotic and incredibly expensive compiler in the first place?

Thought about that. But that would mean they intentionally broke linker compatibility. Also, from what I understand, it's up to devs - either compile everything with GHS 5.3.10+, or use what they used before whatever change broke everything.

I was considering a complete OS overhaul (to something that more closely resembles their final OS) because this is a hardware-independent change. But I'm not sure of the line of reasoning here at all.

Does anyone remember Left Field Productions? No? Neither do I ha.
What! NBA Courtside 2002 is one of the main reasons I wanted a gamecube, and their sports games on the n64 were great.

I honestly don't get where they're getting this image of us being totally out-of-touch with reality as far as expectations go.

Probably had something to do with the 2gb ram discussion even after Iherre dismissing it in a not so subtle way.

BD1

Banned
Thing is, you don't want Nintendo to do a "Pikmin 2 didn't sell so we're delaying Pikmin 3" thing.

I don't think you need to worry about that. I think Pikmin 2 NPC is coming because they need to put something on the market, and there happens to be a sequel coming for Wii U.

I meant age in terms of, when has the franchise recently been active. Hence why Earthbound, despite Lord Paramount potential, is currently in the reserves.

It's a good point, I just feel that with Kirby's highly persistant good, recent releases and strong sales leaves the IP in a stronger position.

Donkey Kong was massively popular in the '80s, '90s, and last year.

edit: 5 million copies sold, by the way, of Donkey Kong Country Returns. That's probably more than the sales of the last two Kirby home console games combined (it might even be more than the last three Kirby games released added together, but I'm low on hard data here).

axisofweevils

I've just read an article that says Nintendo failed by releasing games like Wii Fit instead of games like Call of Duty.

That would be the same Wii Fit series that sold 42 million copies. Yes. They definitely failed there. Facepalm.

BD1

Banned

edit: 5 million copies sold, by the way, of Donkey Kong Country Returns. That's probably more than the sales of the last two Kirby home console games combined.

All this Donkey Kong talk has got me hoping NST (or whoever) has got Donkey Kong Country Returns Again ready to roll for E3....

Conor 419

Banned

edit: 5 million copies sold, by the way, of Donkey Kong Country Returns. That's probably more than the sales of the last two Kirby games combined.

Only recent years would be taken into account, the list is constantly being updated.

Neither DK or Kirby have the power level to compete with the A team. Hence why I put them both in the upper B team. As for why I put Kirby above DK?

Well, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland all came out very recently. Epic Yarn was competitive with DK:R in terms of acclaim, and all three were easily competitive in terms of sales. As far as I'm concerned, Kirby Edges it. Plus, he's hardworking. Give him a break.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nope Im thinking the same thing I think thats the only reason Nintendo are finally releasing the new play control here...In June? June what?

Doesn't say. Only June for now. But it will be without a doubt after E3.

They'll probably shoehorn some talk about that version after or right before talking about Pikmin 3.

axisofweevils

Perhaps Pikmin 2 will come with a Pikmin 3 trailer or something in the US?

All this Donkey Kong talk has got me hoping NST (or whoever) has got Donkey Kong Country Returns Again ready to roll for E3....

Once per gen per franchise isn't an ironclad Nintendo rule, but it serves them extremely well when they hold to it. Can't you wait just another couple years?

Discomurf

Yeah that's exactly why, a couple of years ago they probably figured it wouldn't sell (based on Pikmin 1 Wii sales) but now has an added value of advertising the new one. This news also strongly suggests that Pikmin 3 is a Wii U launch title (or at least launch window).

Redford

aka Cabbie
You know, Nintendo can actually make games like Pikmin 3 for it's less known franchises and not always have to worry about it selling like hotcakes. No offense but it seems like alot of people around here think "Nintendo wouldn't make this, wouldn't do that, because it won't sell."

Perhaps Pikmin 2 will come with a Pikmin 3 trailer or something in the US?

We need Pikmin 3 swag. We neeeeeed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom