• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Shambles
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:11 PM)
Shambles's Avatar

Originally Posted by celcius

OP didn't want to keep it as a BD player?

He couldn't stand the dozens of blu-rays he had on the shelves that he didn't watch often enough so he threw them all in the trash. PROBLEM SOLVED, LAUD ME INTERNET
inner-G
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:14 PM)
inner-G's Avatar
If I sold mine I might have to confront my 100+ SNES backlog, lol.
DidntKnowJack
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:15 PM)
DidntKnowJack's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

The idea of being "compelled" to play games seems nightmarish to me. I can't believe "backlog" theory has so much popular support :P

I wouldn't call it nightmarish, but it's definitely a problem. For me, anyway. (Sort of)

The way it usually works is, I read a thread on GAF or I listen to an old podcast and a game comes up from the past. And that game gets stuck in my head. A feeling of "That would be cool to play right now," culminating into "MUST. HAVE. THAT. GAME." Then I order a copy, anticipate it's delivery, read old posts on GAF about it, receive it, play it for awhile or not at all, add it to the backlog.

I'm sure It sounds stupid to many, but for me it's part of the hobby. I don't just play games, I consume information about them, and celebrate their past present and future. I don't have too many vices, but this is one of them. But I enjoy it.

Anyway, that's a big part of why I have a backlog.
DangerousDave
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:15 PM)
DangerousDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by celcius

OP didn't want to keep it as a BD player?

He has too many BD movies.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(04-14-2012, 10:16 PM)
subversus's Avatar

Originally Posted by slayzz

the op sold the console cause it has a big backlog.

.....then said it was collecting dust.

wtf

what is so mysterious about this?
Fraull
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:17 PM)
Fraull's Avatar

Originally Posted by black_vegeta

15 games = huge backlog?

bwahahahhahahha

My backlog for ps3 is like 5 and I think it is too large. If people have bigger backlogs, they need to reevaluate some shit.
Shalashaska
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:20 PM)
My PS3 died, I got kinda upset about it and just sold all my games. Thought it would be good so I had more time to do stuff.

Now I've been missing out on Uncharted, MGS HD, Dark Souls and I'm sad.
sca2511
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:28 PM)
sca2511's Avatar
15 games? I guess I should sell my PC or move to another OS.
Randolph Freelander
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:29 PM)
Randolph Freelander's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ardenyal

And now this thread is in your back log. tsk tsk.

It's ok, he is selling his internet.
Randolph Freelander
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:30 PM)
Randolph Freelander's Avatar

Originally Posted by DangerousDave

I have a backlog of hundred of games, maybe even a thousand. Literally. PC games, PS3 games, PS2 games, PSX games, Vita Games, iPhone...

Steam sales, iPhone sales, and PSN+ didn't helped, but when I play a game (specially if it's a long one) and another game that I want launch, I usually don't have the will of waiting weeks of months to buy it. I get the new one and I play it. I couldn't wait months to play Uncharted 3, when it got released, because I already didn't finish Skyrim, for example.

You really should consider quitting altogether, cold turkey.

Just for a brief bit. A few months.
Dash Kappei
Not actually that important
(04-14-2012, 10:42 PM)
Dash Kappei's Avatar

Originally Posted by DCharlie

15 is a huge backlog?

Lol, seriously
SMT
this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
(04-14-2012, 10:43 PM)
SMT's Avatar

Originally Posted by kittens

Yeah, I only got 1 - 3 games a year as a kid. I played the hell out of them, though, hah. I remember Mario 64 was the only N64 I had between launch and bought November 17, 1997, when I bought Starfox 64. A year and two months with only one new game! Luckily I still had my SNES.

It started out slow for me too, first game was Mario64, then Pokémon Blue, then Zelda Ocarina of Time Goty Edition, then Polkamons Stadiums, Majora's Mask, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda Windwanker. All the time in between was either spent studying, biking or rollerblading like a maniac, playing marbles, or testing the waters with what old games the ATARI 2600 had, which to my surprise, was an array.
GeoramA
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:44 PM)
GeoramA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kurod

So...you sold your PS3 because it had too many games?

We've come so far...
smr00
Banned
(04-14-2012, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by GeoramA

We've come so far...

2006 me would laugh in the face of someone telling me ps3 has too many games.

and 2007 me.. and 2008 me.
AzaK
Member
(04-14-2012, 10:59 PM)
AzaK's Avatar
I would have sold mine but it died.....twice. So not it's a paperweight and I have no backlog-regret.
Marcellus Wallace
Member
(04-14-2012, 11:10 PM)
Marcellus Wallace's Avatar
There's too many posts to read in this thread. Better to just delete it.
Coins
Dog Sniffer
(04-14-2012, 11:12 PM)
Coins's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fraull

My backlog for ps3 is like 5 and I think it is too large. If people have bigger backlogs, they need to reevaluate some shit.

Why? I used to have time to game. Then I got older and have more responsibilities. My love of gaming hasn't diminished, just my time. I have at least 7 or 8 games I've never opened yet and an even bigger backlog. It doesn't hurt me financially so I see no need to evaluate my purchasing.
zoukka
Member
(04-14-2012, 11:31 PM)
zoukka's Avatar
Grats to OP, more people should have the spine to evaluate themselves critically like this and act accordingly.

Goddamn I should sell my 3DS and Wii, but the effort and crap value of console + heap of games is making me still consider.
Izick
(04-14-2012, 11:37 PM)
I bought a PS3 this past Summer. I've only played about a dozen or so of its exclusives, but I still feel even that was worth the purchase price. Why sell it? I'll only get what, like 150$ for it? What's the point? I've been in a slump lately, gaming-wise, not interested in really any games coming out, but maybe The Last of Us or something could change that. Not worth selling in my eyes.
staticneuron
Member
(04-14-2012, 11:43 PM)
staticneuron's Avatar

Originally Posted by subversus

they are a reminder of my weak will

Actually, your backlog now has permanent blemishes on it. You once had these games and you didn't finish them. A task that is made harder now that you sold the console. When you sleep at night, the covers of the unfinished games will dance about your head, whispering sweet nothings in your ear then begin to remind you that you have failed.

Your false solution is an offense to all gamers who have tackled the backlog issue and tackled it head on. You sir..... are a quitter.
SLEEPS7ALK3R
Banned
(04-14-2012, 11:44 PM)
SLEEPS7ALK3R's Avatar
This is the stupidest thing I've read all day.
zoukka
Member
(04-14-2012, 11:45 PM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by SLEEPS7ALK3R

This is the stupidest thing I've read all day.

First thing you read today?
Retro_
Member
(04-14-2012, 11:45 PM)
Retro_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by subversus

what is so mysterious about this?

The gaf phenomenon of buying games on release date for fullprice and never opening them

and not even the right games! Vanquish could have used people like that!
Last edited by Retro_; 04-14-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(04-14-2012, 11:48 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar
But i want to play those games...
Alias Greed
Junior Member
(04-14-2012, 11:55 PM)
Between my PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii alone I have like a 50+ backlog. That doesn't even count all the digital only and steam games which are like in 1 billion by know, lol. If you add in the portable consoles and consoles from older generations I don't even want to know what my backlog is.

I'm no longer a young person with no responsibilities, I work, go to college, spend time with family etc, etc. I've given up on finishing a lot of games, but video-games are still my hobby so I'll continue to collect them and try to play them until I die basically.
SLEEPS7ALK3R
Banned
(04-15-2012, 12:01 AM)
SLEEPS7ALK3R's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

Grats to OP, more people should have the spine to evaluate themselves critically like this and act accordingly.

Goddamn I should sell my 3DS and Wii, but the effort and crap value of console + heap of games is making me still consider.

Good lord. It's not like he's quitting drugs.

Besides, he bought those games because he apparently wanted to play them. Selling the console to get rid of the "pressure" to play them just sounds stupid.
Coins
Dog Sniffer
(04-15-2012, 12:10 AM)
Coins's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alias Greed

Between my PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii alone I have like a 50+ backlog. That doesn't even count all the digital only and steam games which are like in 1 billion by know, lol. If you add in the portable consoles and consoles from older generations I don't even want to know what my backlog is.

I'm no longer a young person with no responsibilities, I work, go to college, spend time with family etc, etc. I've given up on finishing a lot of games, but video-games are still my hobby so I'll continue to collect them and try to play them until I die basically.

Yep. It's a hobby that also involves collecting. I have over 10k comics. I'm not going to read them again and some I've never opened. Doesn't make me regret buying them nor will I get rid of them.
zoukka
Member
(04-15-2012, 12:10 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by SLEEPS7ALK3R

Good lord. It's not like he's quitting drugs.

Besides, he bought those games because he apparently wanted to play them. Selling the console to get rid of the "pressure" to play them just sounds stupid.

Come on, many people need to go "cold turkey" on something to really get rid of it. It's often extreme actions that can set you on the right path. And yes it's not like he quit taking heroin, but this is a videogames forum so what the hell, a very relevant thread.

Especially seeing the reactions from some people. These pieces of plastic are sacred to some.

Originally Posted by Coins

Yep. It's a hobby that also involves collecting. I have over 10k comics. I'm not going to read them again and some I've never opened. Doesn't make me regret buying them nor will I get rid of them.

But if a person wants to see things logically and really set himself free of any juseless junk, he'd just sell those comics. I know how hard it is to sell a collection of any sort and indeed know the pleasure or collecting stuff. But here I am today alive and kicking after selling almost all my games, DVD's and comics.
Kerub
Banned
(04-15-2012, 12:11 AM)
Kerub's Avatar
But I like my consoles. If I have a big backlog, that means I have a lot of games to play on them. That is positive, not negative.
SLEEPS7ALK3R
Banned
(04-15-2012, 12:17 AM)
SLEEPS7ALK3R's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

Come on, many people need to go "cold turkey" on something to really get rid of it. It's often extreme actions that can set you on the right path. And yes it's not like he quit taking heroin, but this is a videogames forum so what the hell, a very relevant thread.

Especially seeing the reactions from some people. These pieces of plastic are sacred to some.

I guess I'd be more understanding if videogames were detrimental to his life, like someone with an addict personality, that getting rid of everything would be the only way to get to do other things.

But if you don't have that problem and you willingly spent your hard earned money on these things, I don't know... I'd really have to think it through.

To each his own, right?

Good luck to the OP. Try not to bite off more than you can chew next time. :P
Salacious Crumb
Junior Member
(04-15-2012, 12:19 AM)
Salacious Crumb's Avatar
I would've sold mine a long time ago and just stuck with PC + handhelds if it wasn't for GT5.
zoukka
Member
(04-15-2012, 12:20 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by SLEEPS7ALK3R

I guess I'd be more understanding if videogames were detrimental to his life, like someone with an addict personality, that getting rid of everything would be the only way to get to do other things.

Well I can only speak for myself, but games were a huge part of my childhood and my teens. I had a massive collection of games for all consoles and finally making the decision to let go of them was very hard. It sounds silly when you speak of entertainment like this, but holy crap I had invested a lot of time and effort finding all the games in good condition.

Never felt better once I got rid of most of the collection though. There's always some obsession in collecting involved.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(04-15-2012, 01:19 AM)
thetrin's Avatar

Originally Posted by subversus

what is so mysterious about this?

Why are you not playing your PS3 if you have a backlog to go through? Better yet, why did you buy those games if you never intended to play them?

I spend a LOT of money on video games, but I actually play EVERYTHING I buy. I'm PRETTY sure that most gaffers buy less games than I do. Which makes me wonder: What is so hard about playing the games you buy, or just not buying them until you're ready to play them?
Freedom = $1.05
Akimbo Dogs
(04-15-2012, 01:23 AM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar
I sold about 90% of my games last year so I can somewhat relate to the OP. there's this great sense of relief to know that I wasnt beholden to my collection anymore. Now, I can play games as they come out instead of putting them off as I finish the campaign of a +3 year old game that got somewhat tedious halfway through. It feels genuinely awesome : )
witchedwiz
Member
(04-15-2012, 01:43 AM)
witchedwiz's Avatar

Originally Posted by DidntKnowJack

I wouldn't call it nightmarish, but it's definitely a problem. For me, anyway. (Sort of)

The way it usually works is, I read a thread on GAF or I listen to an old podcast and a game comes up from the past. And that game gets stuck in my head. A feeling of "That would be cool to play right now," culminating into "MUST. HAVE. THAT. GAME." Then I order a copy, anticipate it's delivery, read old posts on GAF about it, receive it, play it for awhile or not at all, add it to the backlog.

I'm sure It sounds stupid to many, but for me it's part of the hobby. I don't just play games, I consume information about them, and celebrate their past present and future. I don't have too many vices, but this is one of them. But I enjoy it.

Anyway, that's a big part of why I have a backlog.

You, sir, are a gentleman of taste... Incidentally we're so much alike we can swear the sacred Broth (directly from the brocode) to never let our backlog fade!
Satchel
Banned
(04-15-2012, 01:57 AM)
Satchel's Avatar
I get tempted to sell most of my collection and just keep the 360, Wii and PS3.

But I can't bring myself to sell all my older stuff despite no legitimate reason to keep it all.
bigtroyjon
Member
(04-15-2012, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by thetrin

What is so hard about playing the games you buy, or just not buying them until you're ready to play them?

Change games to any product and if you answer the question you have a Economics Nobel Prize in your future.
Satchel
Banned
(04-15-2012, 02:01 AM)
Satchel's Avatar
My backlog just with my 3 main home consoles combined would be at around 50 or more, but that includes XBLA and PSN games too.

Bit ridiculous. Hopefully I win the lottery so I don't have to work and will have the time to play them all.
maquiladora
Member
(04-15-2012, 02:05 AM)
maquiladora's Avatar
Feels good that you're not going to play those games?


Ok...

More time to post about not having time to play those games I guess.
M_A_C
Member
(04-15-2012, 02:08 AM)
M_A_C's Avatar
rpmurphy
Member
(04-15-2012, 02:12 AM)
rpmurphy's Avatar
Lucky for OP. I can't sell all the Android games I have in my backlog. They will forever be there in my account.
Socreges
smarter than the average commie
(04-15-2012, 02:32 AM)
Socreges's Avatar
Pretty weird how people were a bit hostile with you.

For a few years I started playing games much, much less, but in the past 6-7 months I've really picked them up again. New city + crappy weather + debilitating knee injury + recent unemployment = lots of time playing games. Rather than just replacing free time, it's a habit that's started to replace other ways that I'd spend my time. Not good.

Considering abandoning games altogether. I don't miss them when I'm not playing them, so why not.
FairXchange
Member
(04-15-2012, 02:46 AM)
FairXchange's Avatar
I rather enjoy piling up on my backlog, I'll play them eventually. There's no law that says I have to finish all of them. I'm cycling between Downpour, DMC HD Collection, Kid Icarus 3DS, Tales of Graces f, Dark Souls, Fez.

I make progress in them in short bursts, and don't feel anxiety for not promptly seeking out their completion. Just take it easy, they're only games, sir.
frAntic_Frog
Member
(04-15-2012, 02:48 AM)
well heres to hoping that you can one day revisit those unplayed backlog games on your PS4......
DangerousDave
Member
(04-15-2012, 04:07 AM)
DangerousDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fraull

My backlog for ps3 is like 5 and I think it is too large. If people have bigger backlogs, they need to reevaluate some shit.

There's nothing to reevaluate.

You are playing a game, but there is a new game that you think that will enjoy more than the current one and you have money to buy it?

My time is much more important than my money. I won't spend hours playing something if there is something more interesting around. I'll get the new game and I'll play it, and maybe I'll go back to the old one when there isn't anything more important to play.

I have to pass about playing Legend of Grimrock, for example, a game that I've been waiting for years, only because I didn't finished all the Skyrim quests? Nothing to reevaluate, here.
Gouda Jouji
Member
(04-15-2012, 04:12 AM)
Gouda Jouji's Avatar
This thread just reminded me that my PS3 has the YLOD :( I should get that fixed sometime.
Last edited by Gouda Jouji; 04-15-2012 at 04:15 AM.
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(04-15-2012, 04:14 AM)
DR2K's Avatar
Relief eventually turns into regret.
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(04-15-2012, 04:14 AM)
Nemo's Avatar
That feeling is temp, it'll come back sooner or later
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-15-2012, 06:17 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flatline

You should buy one and then sell it to feel relieved.

Done. Went and bought one then returned it. Man, I could like just do this unlimited times and always feel good!!!!
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-15-2012, 06:29 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar
You will probably regret this decision when The Last of Us comes out.

Thread Tools