• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

I dont believe it.

How are they going to do a "kinect like system" when everybody hates it, and MS prolly owns all the patents?

Beyond that, it would be a failure anyway since it sounds like a weak piece of crap.

Apple has never been a fit for the games business: Cornerstones of (core, console) gaming:

Lots of hardware losses, razor/blade model, hot, noisy, powerful hardware. Appealing to the younger male demographic.

Apple hates all of those things. Apple doesn't sell hardware they arent making a huge profit on, which is impossible if you want to play in the traditional console space. They also appeal to women first/
This is probably the worst assessment of the market I've read here in quite some time.

A dedicated gaming console doesn't make sense from Apple these days. You'd think they would just incorporate iOS gaming capabilities into AppleTV and call it a day?

Though... A dedicated box with with bigger budget games tailor made for it's own hardware and lower end games running through iOS would be an interesting combination.

And also.. with rumors of Apple making a gaming controller for the iPad, this could be part of that strategy?

Not an Apple fan, but I'm interested to see how this unfolds if true.
Besides the casual market, do they want to capture the core audience and compete directly with the big 3?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Anyone expecting Apple to come in and compete with the existing three hasn't really been paying much attention to how Apple does things.

What they'll do is come in and purposefully do things differently, turn consumer expectations on their head and disrupt the market.

$1 games on your TV is a terrifying prospect for the status quo.

Sapiens

i'm in for a new contender

This. We've had two straight generations where the competitors were essentially the same. Shakeups are always a good thing. Always.

Sega was great in the 16bit era
Sony was great in the 32bit era
MS was great in the PS2 era.

Really hoping this is true.

Over saturate and let history repeat itself and the game industry bubble goes boom.

That's not the way it works. The weakest in a flooded market will die.

NEC's Hudson based gaming units died, the industry did not crash
Sega's console business died, the industry did not crash
3D0 died, Jaguar died, etc

AmFreak

The article talks about the long rumoured Apple TV. October last year it was "revealed" in the Steve jobs biography that they 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV:

The simplified HDTV would spare users from having to use complex remotes for multiple devices like DVD players and cable boxes. Isaacson wrote that Jobs "wanted to do for television sets what he had done for computers, music players, and phones: make them simple and elegant."

"It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine," Jobs was quoted as saying. "I finally cracked it."

So it's not really a console per se, but a TV with a build in one (as mentioned in the article). And it's a no brainer. They need some processing power for the fancy things like connecting to the Inet or whatever they have planned. So why not build in, at least, your actual IPad chipset that costs peanuts in relation to the TV price and bring all your Apple store software over?

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
My body is ready for the titanic Apple vs. Steambox vs. Wii U vs. PS4 vs. Nextbox battle to the death.

Just need to get Sega some money so they can join in too.

hym

Banned
Looking at all the SteamPlay games I own (purchase the game once own it on Win and Mac) the potential of an Apple TV console with a traditional x86 architecture running OSX and Steam sounds pretty appealing.

Buying the box and logging in to Steam would give me access to like 30 games, some of which I haven't played yet. This may be a compelling selling point with backwards compatibility seemingly going down the drain for 720/ps4.

Vormund

I'm guessing this game console is going to be more like a future Apple TV that's app/game enabled.

Yeah I think that's the direction they are headed.
I don't see them releasing a primarily game focused machine like Xbox/PS3 that has media ability evolving on it, I see Apple doing the opposite.

They may have something integrated with their supposed TV, as well as selling a game capable AppleTV box.

AngryMoth

I've been rolling my eyes for the last few years whenever people talk about Apple becoming a major force in gaming, and I still think almost all iOS games are time-fillers, and not games you would ever actually make time for. At this point though, the only thing it would take to convert me into a full believer would be an official, dedicated controller, and I think that's probably happening. The iPad has become so powerful, and especially with the ability to AirPlay it to a tv, that if you throw a propper controller I to the mix you basically have a console.

This rumour sounds like total BS though. Kinect AND touch controls? Gaf would implode

Not buying it for a sec.

If Apple is going to release a TV set, why'd they need console hardware to go with that? The rumored Apple TV will just have apps running on it, including games. A controller? Sure, why not? But that's very different from the traditional Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Mario007

I remember Jobs talking about the console market in the iPhone keynote. Back then it was "actually a little smaller than you think, not such a big market."

vyoQ6.png

I don't know the context of that picture but if Jobs was seriously claiming that in 2006 only 26 million consoles were sold then that just proves how much Jobs used blatant lying to hype up his product.

Derrick01

Banned
My body is ready for the titanic Apple vs. Steambox vs. Wii U vs. PS4 vs. Nextbox battle to the death.

Just need to get Sega some money so they can join in too.

There's not going to be a steambox if valve collaborates with Apple on this. They don't have the resources to handle a full console's infrastructure, steam, their own games and a separate steambox that would either compete directly with consoles or PC hardware.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo either does its own thing or Apple buys Nintendo. Sorry, no other options available.

We'll see what happens. Nintendo was quite willing to team up with Sony on the Playstation before certain issues blew up that deal and they also worked with Philips instead.

With the changing console scene, I would not find it unusual at all for them to team up after the next generation of consoles.

Looking at all the SteamPlay games I own (purchase the game once own it on Win and Mac) the potential of an Apple TV console with a traditional x86 architecture running OSX and Steam sounds pretty appealing.

Buying the box and logging in to Steam would give me access to like 30 games, some of which I haven't played yet. This may be a compelling selling point with backwards compatibility seemingly going down the drain for 720/ps4.

Seems odd that they would rely on Steam, when they have their own massive network (App store, Mac App Store, itunes, etc) that could sustain the downloadable traffic of a game console with practically zero hitches. But perhaps, they could be looking at offering steam as an additional service to their own Mac App store.

Kusagari

I dont believe it.

How are they going to do a "kinect like system" when everybody hates it, and MS prolly owns all the patents?

Beyond that, it would be a failure anyway since it sounds like a weak piece of crap.

Apple has never been a fit for the games business: Cornerstones of (core, console) gaming:

Lots of hardware losses, razor/blade model, hot, noisy, powerful hardware. Appealing to the younger male demographic.

Apple hates all of those things. Apple doesn't sell hardware they arent making a huge profit on, which is impossible if you want to play in the traditional console space. They also appeal to women first/

All of the 18-24 males with iPhones and iPads don't exist apparently.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why would Apple want to enter the money pit none as gaming? Consoles, if it would be one, are a whole different ballgame. They would have to have to a physical drive as there is no way it would survive without one yet. They then enter a new world where Gamestop puts pressure on their neck. They would have to deal with used games...

Basically, a myriad amount of stuff they controlled before would be taken out of their hands. They would have to also sell as a loss or risk becoming a joke of a system when it comes to price.

I can't see it. But it would wonderful if the drama unfolded at E3 sine I'm going this year. =D

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Valve seems like an odd partner to launch a console like this with, because a large part of their fanbase is the traditional self-identifying 'hardcore' gamer who hates Apple products for varying reasons and will gnaw off his own leg sooner than admit that motion or touchpad controlled games can even legitimately constitute a game. I'd see them sooner condemn Valve to the flames than buy an Apple product made for touch and motion controls that might not be capable of the latest whizzbang visual effects.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Why would Apple want to enter the money pit none as gaming? Consoles, if it would be one, are a whole different ballgame. They would have to have to a physical drive as there is no way it would survive without one yet. They then enter a new world where Gamestop puts pressure on their neck. They would have to deal with used games...

Basically, a myriad amount of stuff they controlled before would be taken out of their hands. They would have to also sell as a loss or risk becoming a joke of a system when it comes to price.

I can't see it. But it would wonderful if the drama unfolded at E3 sine I'm going this year. =D

Because Apple would sidestep all of the bullshit you mentioned and do everything their way.

You think Apple will sell physical games? And through GameStop at that? You think they'll get involved in the arms race that Sony and Microsoft are fighting?

They then enter a new world where Gamestop puts pressure on their neck. They would have to deal with used games...

What used games? You're talking about the company that wants to eradicate disc based media. Apple would never release this thing with a disc drive if true, why would they? Their online infrastructure makes Xbox Live, PSN and Nintendo's all look like child's play. They could handle large downloadable games with ease on their networks.

I don't know the context of that picture but if Jobs was seriously claiming that in 2006 only 26 million consoles were sold then that just proves how much Jobs used blatant lying to hype up his product.

And if that picture is claiming 957 million cell phone units were sold in 2006... I really doubt about 1/7 of the world bought a phone in 2006. lol

Kusagari

Yeah, there's no way the console would be anything but all digital. It really makes sense in a way if this is in fact the Steambox.

Imagine if Apple combines the App Store .99 games for casuals with Steam games for the hardcore.

Kiss your ass goodbye game industry.

Quasar

What used games? You're talking about the company that wants to eradicate disc based media. Apple would never release this thing with a disc drive if true, why would they? Their online infrastructure makes Xbox Live, PSN and Nintendo's all look like child's play. They could handle large downloadable games with ease on their networks.

Yeah. And really I would not see them as competing with the hardcore gaming console niche. Of course I'd be kind of surprised if they even wanted to build a console rather than allow folks to play games off exsting ios devices using airplay and some blutooth controller.

Averon

If Apple's jumping in, would Google be far behind? Would a Google/Sony or Google/Nintendo partnership be feasible?

Top Bottom