• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

paskowitz

Official results:

RackAttack (Jeff S.)

RedReevos (Rees G.)

JoeyFast22 (Joseph B.)

RedlineGTS (Eric R.)

darweezee (Darwin A.)

TRC_Scooty (Austin C.)

Forcednduckshn (Nicholas B.)

Maverick-Ace-GT (Brett J.)

topgear3793 (Matthew C.)

Wardez (Edward G.)

redsoxboy80 (Jeff L.)

S_Diem (Stephen D.)

BICDRIVER49 (Steven D.)

TX_Driven3 (Brian R.)

AltF4_Veloci2NR (Joseph A.)

AltF4_JettRacer (Jett C.)

578931_409049312463503_2057385835_n.jpg

527974_409049399130161_1794774559_n.jpg

paskowitz

RounD was eliminated.

Also, that list is apparently incorrect. So right now it is not 100% confirmed.

This is the official top 16 confirmed by Wardez (Edward Gomez)

Here's the list, from top row to bottom row, from left to right:

578931_409049312463503_2057385835_n.jpg

Top row:
Jeff Lund (redsoxboy80)
Patrick Crider (GTP_Sohnvonstig)
Brian Rice (TX_Driven3)
Eric Rivera (RedlineGTS)
Jett Chandler, (Jett Racer)
Kyle (A7XMaverick)
Matthew C. (topgear3793)
Jeff Stuart (Rackattack)
S_Diem (Stephen D.)
Steven Doherty (BICDRIVER49)
Edward Gomez (Wardez)
Nicholas Barbado
(Forcednduckshn)

Bottom row:
Joseph Alves (AltF4_Veloci2NR)
Darwin A. (darweezee)
Austin Cobb (TRC_Scooty)
Rees Gould (Redreevos)
Kyle (A7XMaverick)

l2ounD

haha, sad face :(

I was not even close!

Quick recap;

The guys running were a good second or two faster than me.

Could have placed better but made way too many dumb mistakes, always going wide and I could not for the life of me get used to the brake pedals on the thrustmaster

Everyone was generally suuper cool from the guys running the event to the racers.

Met some really cool peeps, all car / race enthusiasts, of course!

The only bad parts was the venue kinda blew, the a/c wasnt working right so we were all sweating balls. And the schedule was really tight so we didnt get a chance to have fun outisde in all the comic-con madness. :(
Most of the time spent there was waiting in the lounge... hot sweaty smelly lounge

San Diego looks so beautiful though, loved the weather there. It makes you want to do things outside, unlike Texas... I would definitely like to spend more time there.

There is always next year!

paskowitz

Are which one are you #3 or #5 left to right?

I hate the T500RS pedals as well. I am sure the pressure was crazy. Look at it this way. Last year some pretty fucking fast people went on. This year some more pretty fucking fast people went on. Now that the arguably top 32 people in the country are ineligible, chances will be better next year. While I am hearing mixed things on whether there will be a next year, I think the fact they are considering holding the US finals at Indy is positive news.

I am kicking myself for not flying to San Diego and doing the Racer X thing. I decided to try it at home (R34 GTR @ Monaco). I did a 1:52.8 on lap 1. A 1:51.9 on lap 2. A 1:50.9 on lap 3. And finally a 1:50.3 on lap 4. Patrick (Racer X Winner) did a 1:51.8~ in about 4 laps. While I do not currently own a T500RS, I used to and I am pretty familiar with the wheel. In order to win a race you have to show up. Ask any race team who has ever had their transport truck brake down and they will tell you this. I didn't show up.

dubc35

Congrats for making it this far RounD! It would have been great to have a gaffer in the mix.

This year was kind of weird with the 'useless' first 7 rounds. I had no chance to make it anywhere but I had fun. Congrats again RounD. Best of luck to all gaffers next year. We need to transform the NRL to Nissan league a couple weeks before the GTA starts.

e* Who's the boss in sandals? I'm a socks racer. My wife makes fun of me for walking around the house in one sock. I know, I should be left foot braking but I'm not there yet.

l2ounD

Thanks guys

Are which one are you #3 or #5 left to right?

Yup Im the asian kid on the right. I usually play barefoot but really should have played with some shoes with how stiff the brake pedal felt.

The Nissan guys all assumed that there will be another competition next year, so unless the head of marketing gets tired of it, it'll probably happen again. :D

haha, sad face :(

I was not even close!

Quick recap;

The guys running were a good second or two faster than me.

Could have placed better but made way too many dumb mistakes, always going wide and I could not for the life of me get used to the brake pedals on the thrustmaster

Everyone was generally suuper cool from the guys running the event to the racers.

Met some really cool peeps, all car / race enthusiasts, of course!

The only bad parts was the venue kinda blew, the a/c wasnt working right so we were all sweating balls. And the schedule was really tight so we didnt get a chance to have fun outisde in all the comic-con madness. :(
Most of the time spent there was waiting in the lounge... hot sweaty smelly lounge

San Diego looks so beautiful though, loved the weather there. It makes you want to do things outside, unlike Texas... I would definitely like to spend more time there.

There is always next year!

Made it to the finals 2 years in a row, that's hardly something to be down about.

paskowitz

http://www.gtplanet.net/wolfgang-reip-wins-gt-academy-2012/

The European GT Academy final reached its ultimate conclusion at a sodden Silverstone earlier this afternoon, with Belgium’s Wolfgang Reip crowned the ultimate winner for 2012.

A day after the finalists were cut down to six – one from each region – and the qualification round, the Academy still had a surprise for the gamers with an early morning bleep test before their final challenge.

The final round of the GT Academy Race Camp was the race in Academy 370Zs at Silverstone just ahead of the World Endurance Championship 6hr of Silverstone race qualifier. With the race commentary live on Radio Le Mans, with guest commentator Jann Mardenborough alongside legendary Mackem John Hindhaugh, Wolfgang won the damp race from pole position, followed by Andrea Cosaro (from 6th on the grid), Rolf Ueltschi, Sebastien Bertrand, Des Foley and Hugo Gonçalves.

It took a further 2 hours of, sometimes heated, deliberation between the judges before the winner was announced as the BeNeLux region finalist Wolfgang Reip.

We wish Wolfgang all the best as he starts his training for the gruelling 2013 Dubai 24 Hours and sets off in the footsteps of Lucas, Jordan, Bryan and Jann!

gta2012_winner-638x418.jpg

US, Russia and Germany are ongoing.

Top Bottom