• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) at E3 2012 confirmed

Nekki

Most of that is definitely live footage... some could pass for renders, but i'm sure at least 90% of it is real lol.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stop violating the beauty of this thread with Mii talk!

If they end up in the game I hope all of you are banned.

Haunted

Louie_the_Pikmin_Killer_by_Rutela.jpg

Believest!
Ground looks like a Crysis mod.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How do you reckon this game will control?

watershed

Banned
How do you reckon this game will control?
I imagine with dual sliders, buttons, and triggers/shoulders with touch screen controls for some stuff like toggle map, camera, etc. Maybe an optional touch screen only control method drawing lines or dragging the stylus to move and tapping to throw pikmin or something.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I imagine with dual sliders, buttons, and triggers/shoulders with touch screen controls for some stuff like toggle map, camera, etc. Maybe an optional touch screen only control method drawing lines or dragging the stylus to move and tapping to throw pikmin or something.

You don't think they'd dare to make it a Wii Mote only control scheme? I never tried the New Play Control version, but the absence of a second analog to control the Pikmin army would be disappointing.

---

An option to give a 1st person view from Captain Olimar using the tablet screen would a trip! From that perspective it would make the tiny bug creatures look like gigantic monsters. Also, using the tilt controls of the tablet could be an alternative way of doing c-stick control.

You don't think they'd dare to make it a Wii Mote only control scheme? I never tried the New Play Control version, but the absence of a second analog to control the Pikmin army would be disappointing.

I'd guess the touchscreen would be far better for this game. But i haven'g played P2 with wiimote either.

watershed

Banned

---

An option to give a 1st person view from Captain Olimar using the tablet screen would a trip! From that perspective it would make the tiny bug creatures look like gigantic monsters. Also, using the tilt controls of the tablet could be an alternative way of doing c-stick control.

I didn't think about the wiimote or wiimote plus nunchuck set up but why not? I imagine it'd be easy to do as Miyamoto said Pikmin 3 was already "quite far along" when they decided to move it to the wii u.

Gahiggidy

I didn't think about the wiimote or wiimote plus nunchuck set up but why not? I imagine it'd be easy to do as Miyamoto said Pikmin 3 was already "quite far along" when they decided to move it to the wii u.

Because I don't like it. I've read up on the new control scheme and it becomes apparent how the lack of buttons on the Wiimote/nunchuck setup compromises the gameplay. In my opinion.

Luigiv

Pikmin 3 started as a Wii game so I wouldn't expect much. Especially not the clay art style.

I dunno, realistically the "clay art style" is all in the shaders. It wouldn't be hugely challenging retrofit it onto existing assets. Not to mention the Wii can probably actually pull off the look itself.

I mean I always thought that Rampage Total Destruction looked quite claymation-y and I don't even think that was intentional.

wwsjY.jpg

qXlWt.jpg

3AkfR.jpg

Anyone remember the pikmin 2 credits after you recover all of your debt? I the scenery that Louie was in looked amazing. To this day I'm still not sure if it's real or not. I'd love something like in pikmin 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-aKa6feMNo

edit: Actually looking at it again, the scenery could be real with Louie photo shopped to it.

Never heard of claymation/stop motion animation before?

Edit: Actually looking at it closer you're probably right, Louie is super imposed CG not a real clay doll. There's one seen were he's standing a shadow yet it wasn't projected on him (not to mention the way his antenna bobs seems a little too fluid for stop motion).

I contacted Nintendo for confirmation of Miyamoto's interview statements, and received the following response: "In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Pikmin game will be shown at the E3 Expo in June. He believes that anyone who has played Pikmin games in the past will enjoy playing."
So it's pointed out in multiple interviews. Has been confirmed to be a Wii project which had a significant dev time that transitioned to Wii U. And it some what "NEWS" that the game will show up at E3 2012.

Well sh!t...

Mdk7

Yeah Pikmin 1 and 2 are among the best games EVER made by Nintendo.
So unique, so full of magic.
/goes back to playing Army Corps of Hell (which is some ways has a lot in common with Pikmin)

Still angry about this. Pikmin is really the only reason I bought a Wii (Not a massive Mario or Zelda fan) and I feel like they assfucked me by switching it to the Wii-U.

Will still likely buy it, because I'm a ridiculously huge fan of Pikmin (finished the first two games with no Pikmin losses)... but it wont be until I can pick up a console used, and for next to nothing.

Antioch

So it's pointed out in multiple interviews. Has been confirmed to be a Wii project which had a significant dev time that transitioned to Wii U. And it some what "NEWS" that the game will show up at E3 2012.

Well sh!t...

There have been three E3s now where Pikmin 3 felt like a certainty, so it's always nice to hear a confirmation.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Still angry about this. Pikmin is really the only reason I bought a Wii (Not a massive Mario or Zelda fan) and I feel like they assfucked me by switching it to the Wii-U.

Will still likely buy it, because I'm a ridiculously huge fan of Pikmin (finished the first two games with no Pikmin losses)... but it wont be until I can pick up a console used, and for next to nothing.
Why the hell would you buy a console for a game that hadn't even been unveiled? You should only be angry with yourself.

There have been three E3s now where Pikmin 3 felt like a certainty, so it's always nice to hear a confirmation.
Going by memory we always got confirmation from Nintendo interviews of the project existence around the Wii mid life cycle upwards. After Nintendo releases started to slow down and after they settled on what it's next console would be (guessing around 2010 a year before WiiU unveiling, it's a safe bet) it was all more or less written. Add to that the some of the latest inteviews specifically confirm the game migrating to WiiU.

So what more confirmation we needed before this news? A project that has been in the works for years and has been confirmed to be moved to the Wii U will debut at next E3. Earth shattering :)

I really like the Pikimin series is not that i have something against the game at all. On one hand im happy we'll get improved visuals. On the other the Wii play control Pikmins felt great with the Wii remote, so i would've liked to see what the game would turn around build from zero with the Wii remote in mind.

Why the hell would you buy a console for a game that hadn't even been unveiled? You should only be angry with yourself.
Of course it's my fault, but that doesn't change the fact that it was supposed to be coming out on the Wii and then they changed their mind.

As it was, when they said it was coming there were some pretty good deals around which made getting it in advance worthwhile. Main problem was that there were hardly any games after that released which I wanted to play... I imagine I'd have been significantly less annoyed otherwise.

I made the same mistake with the gamecube though in fairness so I guess I should learn the lesson that I really don't rate Nintendo games as highly as others. So this time, yes, I wont be stupid enough to buy it until it's got a significant number of titles I'm actually interested in. Same goes for the other consoles too.

Well, this will be my reason for getting a Wii U then. Had endless fun with the first two and it feels like it has been forever since 2 was released.

Oh wait, that's because Pikmin 2 came out in 2004.
Let that sink in for a little bit.

Antioch

Going by memory we always got confirmation from Nintendo interviews of the project existence around the Wii mid life cycle upwards. After Nintendo releases started to slow down and after they settled on what it's next console would be (guessing around 2010 a year before WiiU unveiling, it's a safe bet) it was all more or less written. Add to that the some of the latest inteviews specifically confirm the game migrating to WiiU.

So what more confirmation we needed before this news? A project that has been in the works for years and has been confirmed to be moved to the Wii U will debut at next E3. Earth shattering :)

I really like the Pikimin series is not that i have something against the game at all. On one hand im happy we'll get improved visuals. On the other the Wii play control Pikmins felt great with the Wii remote, so i would've liked to see what the game would turn around build from zero with the Wii remote in mind.

Well yeah, I was already certain it'd be there this year, just nice to hear it from Miyamoto himself. And I suppose it's possible they will include optional Wii Remote controls too, seeing as they spent a few years developing it for the Wii. I personally think the switch to Wii U was probably decided upon before E3 2010, so that would give them a lot of time to make it look great. Hopefully it'll be there for the Wii U's launch.

Gahiggidy

I find YouTube videos of NPC Pikmin hard to watch, what with the target cursor jerking around the screen so much.

Hopefully it'll be there for the Wii U's launch.
Maybe we'll get a repeat performance similar to the GC. If memory serves me right it was a launch window game, december of 2001 i think.

Regarding the Wii remote compatibility, i don't know what to tell you. If they set the game design to support both type of interfaces (Wii remote and touch screen) then one of them could be compromised and not exploit it's full potential.

I hope Nintendo doesn't do something as simple as rendering a general over the top view of the map in the touch screen for the player to control using touch.

Antioch

Maybe we'll get a repeat performance similar to the GC. If memory serves me right it was a launch window game, december of 2001 i think.

Regarding the Wii remote compatibility, i don't know what to tell you. If they set the game design to support both type of interfaces (Wii remote and touch screen) then one of them could be compromised and not exploit it's full potential.

I hope Nintendo doesn't do something as simple as rendering a general over the top view of the map in the touch screen for the player to control using touch.

I personally thought the game might not make that much use of the tablet's capabilities since it did start as a Wii game, and as a consequence of that may make use of the remote + and nunchuck. Of course it being designed fully with the Upad in mind though would be preferable.

Jackano

I don't know what way Pikmin 3 will be going regarding multiplayer gaming.
For some reason, I'm not very confident in it.
First, early in the WiiU lifespan, there is not many reason to hope for some online play (beside, it will be a very strong effort from Nintendo to make it fully playable over the internet);
Second, the multiple (two) Upads question even make a true co-op game mode very unlikely.

It's a shame, Pikmin2 multiplayer was a good start. But Pikmin 3 may only be a single player game. If there is multiplayer, Miis integration will be more trivial, as Olimar will remain the character for the main story mode.

Gahiggidy

I personally thought the game might not make that much use of the tablet's capabilities since it did start as a Wii game, and as a consequence of that may make use of the remote + and nunchuck. Of course it being designed fully with the Upad in mind though would be preferable.

I think they almost have to build it around the U Pad as they will only have a few launch games from which to sell promote the benefits of the new controller.

5 years too late, Nintendo.

It better have a multiplayer mode that blows Pikmin 2's out of the water. I had a blast with Pikmin 2's multi, but god knows they've had plenty of time to perfect it.

Top Bottom