• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Emitan
(04-17-2012, 03:03 AM)
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=61380

Long and short of it: Dude makes some free Fallout posters and makes a site to distribute them. Global law firm repping Bethesda threatens to sue.
SatelliteOfLove
(04-17-2012, 03:04 AM)
Will he escape problems by challenging them to a Quake match?
Lactose_Intolerant
bethesda's fallout, who cares
nckillthegrimace
Sweet announcement, Bethesda.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(04-17-2012, 03:05 AM)
Well then, looks like Bethesda found a way to increase the hatred NMA holds for them.
salromano
Guy promotes company's game free of charge.

Gets lawsuit.
Afrikan
I guess tomorrow's announcement got leaked early, eh?
magash
(04-17-2012, 03:07 AM)
That's a real dick move. Why is the guy getting sued for promoting the fallout brand for free?
Jenga
Banned
(04-17-2012, 03:08 AM)
i thought it was actually NMA that got threatened

woulda been kinda badass to watch
geebee
Banned
(04-17-2012, 03:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Shard

Well then, looks like Bethesda found a way to increase the hatred NMA holds for them.

First thing that came to my mind as well. Not saying that the hatred or what Bethesda is doing is right or wrong.. but it definitely isn't going to sway the site's opinion of Bethesda into a favorable one...
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.
(04-17-2012, 03:10 AM)
I dunno how I feel about this one. It's not like he was selling the posters, but at the same time I can see how Bethesda needed to protect their copyright as this person was offering a service to create real world goods based on their IP.
Emitan
(04-17-2012, 03:12 AM)

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

I dunno how I feel about this one. It's not like he was selling the posters, but at the same time I can see how Bethesda needed to protect their copyright as this person was offering a service to create real world goods based on their IP.

As the guy says, they have every right (and are legally obligated) to protect their IP, but firing from the hip like this is a terrible thing. Just shoot the guy a freaking email.
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3
(04-17-2012, 03:14 AM)
Fallout is an IP nobody deserves in today's world.
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.
(04-17-2012, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Billychu

As the guy says, they have every right (and are legally obligated) to protect their IP, but firing from the hip like this is a terrible thing. Just shoot the guy a freaking email.

I don't know. He says he would have loved an email/letter with some swag in it. I think that sends the wrong message, and would reward the people infringing on Bethesda's IP rights. A c&d letter is fairly standard practice for all companies dealing with these matters.
OddMorsel
(04-17-2012, 03:17 AM)
Cost benefit analysis, Bethesda. How this was ever deemed a good idea is beyond me.
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3
(04-17-2012, 03:19 AM)

Originally Posted by odd_morsel

Cost benefit analysis, Bethesda. How this was ever deemed a good idea is beyond me.

After ps3 skyrim and nobody caring showering the goty/dev of the year on them I think their anthem is "We dont give a fuck, kiss the ring bitches".
Baller, PhD
Banned
(04-17-2012, 03:20 AM)

I don't know. He says he would have loved an email/letter with some swag in it. I think that sends the wrong message, and would reward the people infringing on Bethesda's IP rights. A c&d letter is fairly standard practice for all companies dealing with these matters.

The problem is he wasn't infringing on anything or turning a profit from Bethesda's IP. He had a fan site where you could freely download Fallout fan art that could be printed. How the fuck is that copyright infringement?
balladofwindfishes

there really isn't the need a need to protect the copyright this harshly. Just because they can doesn't mean they need to. Plenty of other companies look the other way or even embrace fan art.

And their holds on their IP is not lost...
shinobi602
Fan:

Bethesda:

GhostRidah
(04-17-2012, 03:21 AM)
free advisement, sue them anyway
Sammy Samusu
I should post less pop-gaf speak spam. It's bad for my health.
(04-17-2012, 03:22 AM)
Minaj, is that you good sis?
Adnor
(04-17-2012, 03:22 AM)
What the fuck, Bethesda!?
Someone should stop Bethesda's law firm, they have come mad with power!
MrTroubleMaker
(04-17-2012, 03:23 AM)
free fan stuff and this happens :(
Mama Robotnik
(04-17-2012, 03:23 AM)
And yet no one sues them for knowingly releasing and selling a faulty PS3 game. Funny that.
MiniBossBattle
(04-17-2012, 03:25 AM)
So the announcement for Bethesda tomorrow are lawsuits?
AlimNassor
(04-17-2012, 03:28 AM)
Sounds more like it's Bethesdas legal team being too over zealous about their IP. Seems that the legal team at Bethesda sends out C/Ds at the drop of a hat.
Emitan
(04-17-2012, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Mama Robotnik

And yet no one sues them for knowingly releasing and selling a faulty PS3 game. Funny that.

Bethesda's using the money they saved not putting any effort into the PS3 version to fund their legal team.
Dibbz
(04-17-2012, 03:34 AM)
They're such a great company.
impact
(04-17-2012, 03:37 AM)

:bow
Ulairi
Banned
(04-17-2012, 03:40 AM)
I think the legal firm scouts the internet so they can rack up some billable hours.
Empty Space
(04-17-2012, 03:45 AM)
Bethesda's legal team is the worst ever.
Baron_Calamity
(04-17-2012, 03:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Ulairi

I think the legal firm scouts the internet so they can rack up some billable hours.

That what this is and nothing more. I doubt Bethesda even knew this was going on or if they knew about the posters they may have even liked the idea. Lawyers is what Lawyers does.
Dreamwriter
(04-17-2012, 03:48 AM)
I don't see why people think this is so terrible. The guy was copying Bethesda's posters and making extremely high resolution versions of them available for download designed to be taken to a printer. So he wasn't charging for it, that's no defense. Let's say Bethesda in a few months was planning on selling their posters - nobody would buy them because the posters had already been ripped of by this fansite.

And I'm not sure I'd call it a Fallout Fansite, the site's only purpose was to distribute copies of Bethesda's posters. It had no blogs or forums or articles or anything else.
Mama Robotnik
(04-17-2012, 03:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

I don't see why people think this is so terrible. The guy was copying Bethesda's posters and making extremely high resolution versions of them available for download designed to be taken to a printer. So he wasn't charging for it, that's no defense. Let's say Bethesda in a few months was planning on selling their posters - nobody would buy them because the posters had already been ripped of by this fansite.

I'm less sympathetic to the a Devil's Advocate position following Bethesda's recent abhorent shenanigans.

It seems somewhat unjust that Bethesda can sue a fansite and that's okay, while the company deserves itself to be sued into total Oblivion (ho ho) for conning millions out of unsuspecting PS3 owners. It probably colours my view a bit, that.
Wildesy
(04-17-2012, 03:54 AM)
"Some people doesn’t have the intellectual capacity"

Is that a subtle joke or...? Either way it made me laugh.
PK Gaming
(04-17-2012, 03:55 AM)
Darn.

I wanted to get one of those posters.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(04-17-2012, 03:56 AM)
Whatever happened to Scrolls? lol
fallagin
(04-17-2012, 04:00 AM)

Pretty much. The rich and powerful get to do whatever the hell they want.
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3
(04-17-2012, 04:01 AM)

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Whatever happened to Scrolls? lol

i think he licensed the trademark from them.
trinest
(04-17-2012, 04:34 AM)

Originally Posted by ZombieSupaStar

i think he licensed the trademark from them.

How nice of them.
Chairman Yang
if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
(04-17-2012, 04:39 AM)
This is what happens when the head of the company (Zenimax) is a former lawyer.
Cow Mengde
(04-17-2012, 04:44 AM)

I thought people are looking into suing them?
DarkKyo
(04-17-2012, 04:45 AM)

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

Darn.

I wanted to get one of those posters.

Seriously. I hope they are saved somewhere on the internet because I need that download link.

Man, it's not like Bethesda would ever make Fallout posters themselves. God damn Bethesda you are low.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(04-17-2012, 04:51 AM)
-Releasing a completely broken game on PS3
-Cancellation of Prey 2
-Suing Notch/Mojang and Scrolls and getting his IP.
-Attacking a fan site of one of their IP.

Zenimax really should try harder if they want to be as evil as EA and Activision.
Emitan
(04-17-2012, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Totobeni

-Releasing a completely broken game on PS3
-Cancellation of Prey 2
-Suing Notch/Mojang and Scrolls and getting his IP.
-Attacking a fan site of one of their IP.

Zenimax really should try harder if they want to be as evil as EA and Activision.

They're not letting Obsidian touch the series again, most likely. That's the most evil thing EVER
Jigsaw
Banned
(04-17-2012, 04:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Billychu

They're not letting Obsidian touch the series again, most likely. That's the most evil thing EVER

why?because it was better than anything they could ever come up with themselves?
The Grim Heaper
(04-17-2012, 05:00 AM)
I don't want to live on this planet anymore or what have you.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for the poor guy.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(04-17-2012, 05:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Jigsaw

why?because it was better than anything they could ever come up with themselves?

No, it was because Obsidian exposed how shitty the engine is and how it's a well known issue Bethesda know about before releasing the -now previously broken- PS3 version of Skyrim, also they said Bethesda didn't give them bonus for New Vegas because of Metacritic score ( most of hired developer get extra money from publishers when the game hit a certain number is sales yet Bethesda uses Metacritic score instead of sales for that).
BladeoftheImmortal
Banned
(04-17-2012, 06:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

Oh nooooo!!! You mean to tell me Bethesda won't be able to charge 20 bucks for a piece of paper!! How will they feed their families? God, i hate corporate apologists. The fact of the matter is, almost no one knew about this site to begin with, selling posters wouldn't be affected by this tiny ass website that no one visits save for the hardest of core fans that know about every single site to do with fallout. blah!