• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

darkpaladinmfc
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:23 AM)
darkpaladinmfc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeliard

h3h



I could never get the mouse to work right in Dead Space 1. DS2 was fine, but DS1 is the only game where I've ever purposefully used a gamepad on PC when a mouse/kb would have been much better. Fortunately that game is fairly slow-paced.

You had to do something like force Vsync via a Control Panel and it was fine.
StickSoldier
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:23 AM)
StickSoldier's Avatar
So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.
scorpscarx
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:23 AM)
scorpscarx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Giran

So we're finally all but rid of GFWL and then there's this... man, I feel really sorry for From that they're met with negativity at every turn despite trying to do what their fans want, but this is really just ridiculous.

The most disheartening thing to my ears is the comments about mouse + keyboard, I bet their own programmers are using Realforce's and Filco's, and they go and do a thing like that.
Last edited by scorpscarx; 04-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
jett
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:24 AM)
jett's Avatar
I have to chalk up the comment about resolution to complete ignorance of PC gaming. The PS360 versions are sub-hd. Sub-HD. Not even 720p. It's inconceivable to me that they'd lock the res to 1024x720.
Last edited by jett; 04-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Persona7
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:24 AM)
Persona7's Avatar

Originally Posted by StickSoldier

So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.

That is a very narrow thought.
Alex
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:25 AM)
Alex's Avatar
Even if they locked this stuff someone would probably crack it open within fifteen minutes. I'm still,going to play wait and see, though.
Zeliard
another, slower tempo, made half of dreams
(04-18-2012, 01:25 AM)
Zeliard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Giran

So we're finally all but rid of GFWL and then there's this... man, I feel really sorry for From that they're met with negativity at every turn despite trying to do what their fans want, but this is really just ridiculous.

I dunno if we're rid of GFWL at all.

Miyazaki: That was completely the decision of Namco Bandai. However, while for now we’ve only announced support for Games For Windows Live, that’s still to be determined—we might work with Steam as well. We don’t know yet.

Remains to be seen if he's only talking about distribution methods or the actual API. People don't just want Steam, they want Steamworks and no GFWL at all, but that may get lost in translation (or may simply not be feasible at this stage). There are many GFWL games on Steam so I dunno if they really got the right message.

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Cry or smile? That's the real question :3

Max
I am not Max
(04-18-2012, 01:26 AM)
Max's Avatar
Does GFWL completely diminish any chance of third-party unlocking, then?
epmode
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:27 AM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alex

Even if they locked this stuff someone would probably crack it open within fifteen minutes.

This isn't always possible.

But isn't Dark Souls running on the same engine used in the Dirt games? Those have some excellent PC ports so maybe!
Maedhros
Banned
(04-18-2012, 01:27 AM)

Originally Posted by StickSoldier

So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.

Nope.
DTKT
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:27 AM)
DTKT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Persona7

That is a very narrow thought.

Still core to the experience. I can't call won't call a game a "PC" game if the game doesn't let me unlock the framerate and give me proper resolutions.
Chuck Norris
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:28 AM)
Chuck Norris's Avatar
I think they are trying to not screw over PS360 users, but their intentions are completely misdirected. They need to realise that alot of PS360 users who love this game, also own good PCs and would be willing to get a version that offered much higher resolutions and frame rate

This all comes from a misunderstanding of the PC market, it would be good if they had an American producer to work with them
gogogow
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:30 AM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

I have to chalk up the comment about resolution to complete ignorance of PC gaming. The PS360 versions are sub-hd. Sub-HD. Not even 720p. It's inconceivable to me that they'd lock the res to 1024x720.

Had no idea the game was sub-hd, haven't played the game yet. That's dissapointing, considering Demon's Souls was native res.
SparkTR
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:30 AM)
SparkTR's Avatar
I take it there were some communication or terminology errors with that interview. Regardless they're sabotaging the success of their own product, not something you want to do with your pre-release marketing efforts.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(04-18-2012, 01:30 AM)
alr1ght's Avatar

Originally Posted by epmode

This isn't always possible.

But isn't Dark Souls running on the same engine used in the Dirt games? Those have some excellent PC ports so maybe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhyreEngine
Sutton Dagger
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:32 AM)
Sutton Dagger's Avatar
I can somewhat excuse the 30fps lock (though it isn't ideal), but to the people defending the supposed resolution lock, I don't think you understand how terrible it would look on a 2560x1440 screen for example. It would literally be a blurry mess if it used the same res as the console versions on high resolution monitors.
NIGHT-
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:33 AM)
NIGHT-'s Avatar
What a damn joke. Will not be buying this port if true
Zomba13
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:33 AM)
Zomba13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

I think they're just making sure nobody begs them for a PC version of their games ever again.

It will probably save them money in the long run.

:( I was hyped for this too, even with GFWL. I guess I'll either not get it or hope some reallly cool guys fix it. I mean, people have managed to get Sonic Unleashed levels into the PC version of that game, people should be able to unlock frame-rate and res pretty easily right?
bob_arctor
Tough_Smooth
(04-18-2012, 01:33 AM)
bob_arctor's Avatar

Originally Posted by StickSoldier

So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.

Haha you pc "gamers" are a real hoot.
Emitan
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:33 AM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris

I think they are trying to not screw over PS360 users, but their intentions are completely misdirected. They need to realise that alot of PS360 users who love this game, also own good PCs and would be willing to get a version that offered much higher resolutions and frame rate

This all comes from a misunderstanding of the PC market, it would be good if they had an American producer to work with them

I can understand some misunderstands from some of the team, but when you're in charge of the project you should probably know something about your target market. Everything the guy says is confusing, not because of translation but because of how patently insane it is. Locked resolutions? This isn't the 90s!!
epmode
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:34 AM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sutton Dagger

I can somewhat excuse the 30fps lock (though it isn't ideal), but to the people defending the supposed resolution lock, I don't think you understand how terrible it would look on a 2560x1440. It would literally be a blurry mess if it used the same res as the console versions on high resolution monitors.

Not true. 720p is a perfect multiple of your monitor's resolution so it'll be very sharp. ..just with pixels 4 times bigger than normal.
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(04-18-2012, 01:34 AM)
Kintaro's Avatar
<reads interview>



Fuck this port.
jett
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:35 AM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Billychu

I can understand some misunderstands from some of the team, but when you're in charge of the project you should probably know something about your target market. Everything the guy says is confusing, not because of translation but because of how patently insane it is. Locked resolutions? This isn't the 90s!!

When's the last time a 3D PC game didn't let you change resolutions? Has there ever been such a time?
gogogow
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:35 AM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by epmode

Not true. 720p is a perfect multiple of your monitor's resolution so it'll be very sharp. ..just with pixels 4 times bigger than normal.

Eh...no it won't, it's gonna look terrible if it's not native.
Lasthope106
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:35 AM)
Lasthope106's Avatar
What's going to happen is that I'm going to sell my Dark Souls 360 version, and get the pc version when the game goes on sale. Their words are clearly "basic" port so they deserve a basic payment too given that I already gave them money for the 360 version.
scorpscarx
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:36 AM)
scorpscarx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kintaro

<reads interview>



Fuck this port.

Seconded.
Zeliard
another, slower tempo, made half of dreams
(04-18-2012, 01:36 AM)
Zeliard's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkpaladinmfc

You had to do something like force Vsync via a Control Panel and it was fine.

It was never "fine" for me regardless of vsync/triple buffering.
DTKT
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:37 AM)
DTKT's Avatar
I wonder if this is a consequence of Namco having no clue about the PC market or just not caring enough about the version.
Alex
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
Alex's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob_arctor

Haha you pc "gamers" are a real hoot.

Most of us pc fans also have consoles.

But yeah, what a non fan he must be for wanting the game to not dip down to single digit FPS. If only he could be a tru g4m3r. Let's order him some man child esque shirts to help him along his way.
epmode
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

Eh...no it won't, it's gonna look terrible if it's not native.

Trust me, I have a similar monitor. 2560x1600. When I run stuff at 1280x800 (exactly half of my native resolution), there is no blurring whatsoever. This is the same reason that Apple jumped from 1024x768 to 2048x1536 for the iPad 3: Perfect scaling for older applications

It won't look as sharp as it could, obviously, but it won't look like the blurry mess that you get when scaling other resolutions.
Seraphinianus
Banned
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
prepare to cry edition
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
ponpo's Avatar
Funny how enjoyable this game is despite technical setbacks, but even with some improvements PC gamers are all "no sale!"

Arotrias armour looks nerdy. Other armour looks like those green things from Zelda games.

I wonder if this comes to consoles if it will include some balance changes.
Chuck Norris
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
Chuck Norris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Billychu

I can understand some misunderstands from some of the team, but when you're in charge of the project you should probably know something about your target market. Everything the guy says is confusing, not because of translation but because of how patently insane it is. Locked resolutions? This isn't the 90s!!

I don't exactly have high expectations of Japanese producers looking outside of their bubble

Unless he has great English skills it would be hard enough to investigate and understand the needs of the Western market without a good American / Western producer on board
jett
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:38 AM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by DTKT

I wonder if this is a consequence of Namco having no clue about the PC market or just not caring enough about the version.

It's probably the Dark Souls team being completely oblivious. Whining, bitching and moaning got you this port master race, maybe some more of that will get you a better port. :P
demosthenes
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:39 AM)
demosthenes's Avatar

Originally Posted by scorpscarx

Seconded.

Third. I was going to buy this game 3 times over for myself and 2 friends who are new to the franchise and thought they might or might not like the game. So to save them money if they didn't I had no problem buying this for them. Glad I get to save my money now! Great job Namco!
Emitan
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:39 AM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

When's the last time a 3D PC game didn't let you change resolutions? Has there ever been such a time?

Darkstone

Derrick01
Banned
(04-18-2012, 01:40 AM)
Derrick01's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alex

Most of us pc fans also have consoles.

But yeah, what a non fan he must be for wanting the game to not dip down to single digit FPS. If only he could be a tru g4m3r. Let's order him some man child esque shirts to help him along his way.

Everyone knows the lower the framerate, the more cinematic your game feels.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(04-18-2012, 01:40 AM)
gdt's Avatar
Ummm....we need to talk to western support director or something. Namco must've put someone who knows about PC gaming somewhere to assist, right?

It reads like he has no idea what he's talking about, in regards to the platform. I'll chalk it up to that, but as it reads, it's fucking terrible.

I have a feeling this will be a horrendous port. Possibly running even worse than the console versions.

Still, PC only people, BUY IT. Hopefully.
Kusagari
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:41 AM)
Kusagari's Avatar
lmao at this debacle. You have a studio that has no idea what PC gaming even is matched up with a Japanese publisher who likes to think they do, but really doesn't.

I'm amazed people thought this wasn't going to be a disaster.
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(04-18-2012, 01:41 AM)
Kintaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by ponpo

Funny how enjoyable this game is despite technical setbacks, but even with some improvements PC gamers are all "no sale!"

Sorry, as a PC gamer, I have certain standards. If they aren't met, I don't buy. All there is to it. I've played and beaten this game before, but I also wanted a better experience. PC can provide that, but it seems FROM can not. Tough shit.
Mxrz
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:42 AM)
Mxrz's Avatar
This game doesn't suck, you know? Maybe worth remembering that there was a reason everyone wanted it on the PC (and 360, etc.) Technical snafu's aside. Anyway. If this bombs, hopefully it'll be on Namco's head, and not affect From.
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(04-18-2012, 01:42 AM)
ponpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt

Still, PC only people, BUY IT. Hopefully.

But it's not going to be 30xAA and 150FPS, no sale!!!


Originally Posted by Kintaro

Sorry, as a PC gamer, I have certain standards. If they aren't met, I don't buy. All there is to it. I've played and beaten this game before, but I also wanted a better experience. PC can provide that, but it seems FROM can not. Tough shit.

I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".
Glass Rebel
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:43 AM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar
I just want to forget about this for now. It's just gonna be a bigger surprise when it hits in August and actually is a good port :)













Oh who the fuck am I kidding.
epmode
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:44 AM)
epmode's Avatar
It appears that people in this thread are not aware that a great deal of the people hoping for a PC port already own the console version, myself included.
Emitan
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:44 AM)
Emitan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ponpo

But it's not going to be 30xAA and 150FPS, no sale!!!




I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".

He already beat the game. Why would he buy a version that runs at basically the same performance?
Kusagari
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:45 AM)
Kusagari's Avatar
If the framerate is actually worse in this, the bitching will be legendary.
ArjanN
Member
(04-18-2012, 01:45 AM)
ArjanN's Avatar
Meh, lot of rage in here for what I consider a somewhat ambiguous interview. I don't think they've even really nailed down the technical aspects yet.

Wait and see IMO, there's bound to be more info in the coming months.
Seraphinianus
Banned
(04-18-2012, 01:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Kusagari

lmao at this debacle. You have a studio that has no idea what PC gaming even is matched up with a Japanese publisher who likes to think they do, but really doesn't.

I'm amazed people thought this wasn't going to be a disaster.


and console owners who don't understand what's happening slinging at pc gamers who don't want to support a crappy effort at a cash in, when namco won't deserve a penny if this is as bad as it sounds.


we're in the eye of the shiticane
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(04-18-2012, 01:45 AM)
ponpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Billychu

He already beat the game. Why would he buy a version that runs at basically the same performance?

He shouldn't, though I don't know if locked 30FPS would be basically the same performance.
bob_arctor
Tough_Smooth
(04-18-2012, 01:45 AM)
bob_arctor's Avatar

Originally Posted by epmode

It appears that people in this thread are not aware that a great deal of the people hoping for a PC port already own the console version, myself included.

I already own the console version. I will own the PC version. More Dark Souls any chance I get.

Thread Tools