• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

canadian crowe
(05-14-2012, 03:28 AM)
This movie makes me wish they didn't even bother with the solo movies now. Won't they seem small time compared to this?
Quick
(05-14-2012, 03:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Riposte

I can't relate with the Loki hate. Yeah, he got schooled a few times, but he takes it in stride.

Wait, I'm confused: what do you mean about the Loki hate? People IRL hating Loki, or in terms of him in the movie being hated by the people there?
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(05-14-2012, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by vferrel

This would be a great ban gif.

Have it say "BANNED" at first, and then when he pauses to look at Loki, make it "PERMABANNED" for the next two slams.

Great gif no matter what though.

In my imagination, I see "BANNED" flash every time Hulk smashes Loki.

In the perma version, after Hulk looks at Loki, the first smash shows "PERMA", then the second smash adds "BANNED" on the end.
enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
(05-14-2012, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Green Scar

His eyes freak me out.

I actually think the eyes suit the role too, not just the chin.
Riposte
(05-14-2012, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Quick

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iwNY9YwYFCea7.gif[IMG]

Wait, I'm confused: what do you mean about the Loki hate? People IRL hating Loki, or in terms of him in the movie being hated by the people there?

People calling him a bad villain, "IRL".

In any case, I just realized I missed the 2nd post-credit sequence lol.

Do they explain where Rhodes was?
Manmademan
(05-14-2012, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by canadian crowe

This movie makes me wish they didn't even bother with the solo movies now. Won't they seem small time compared to this?

Think about this for a second. the reason the movie flows as well as it does is because all of the setup and backstory takes place in other films.

without them "the avengers" would be 5 hours long and bogged down with explanatory dialogue.

no, they don't- but its guaranteed to be addressed in IM3. The movies also don't take place in order, so it's possible that the events of IM3 take place before Avengers.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(05-14-2012, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

agree to disagree. I didn't find it particularly well written, directed or acted, but to each his/her own.

Blasphemy!

But yeah, to each his own. Just curious, what sci-fi (or any other genre, I guess) TV show do you find to be particularly well written, directed, or acted?
ConsumerSquare
(05-14-2012, 03:38 AM)
Saw it tonight, thought it was sort of boring. Except for all the Hulk stuff, which was amazing.

Was it ever explained why Hulk was trying to kill everyone on the helicarrier, but then when he showed up in NYC Banner was able to keep the Hulk totally composed?
Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(05-14-2012, 03:40 AM)
Just watched Thor for the first time since I wanted to fill the gaps ... it was OK. The same characters were used much better in Avengers, they all come across as better actors too.

Seems like Loki didnt bother to use his entire power arsenal though (frost giant powers), so thats a bit weird, they also should have spent a wee bit more time explaining how the fuck Thor managed to get back to Earth seems it was made to be this huge deal in the Thor movie.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-14-2012, 03:41 AM)
I agree with the above post. Not really looking forward to Captain America 2.

Avengers 2? In my veins please.
Battersea Power Station
Banned
(05-14-2012, 03:42 AM)

Originally Posted by ConsumerSquare

Was it ever explained why Hulk was trying to kill everyone on the helicarrier, but then when he showed up in NYC Banner was able to keep the Hulk totally composed?

I'm not very "educated" on comic books, but my impression is that the Hulk is a hyperbolic magnification of Banner's anger. On the carrier, he was angry at Romanov and SHIELD for getting him involved, for the whole weaponization program, etc. So he transformed against his will and acted in the trajectory of his anger.

In NYC he was under control and focused on his "anger" at the invading aliens.
Trigger
(05-14-2012, 03:42 AM)
I saw this earlier in the afternoon. Easily the best superhero movie in awhile.

Originally Posted by Riposte

People calling him a bad villain, "IRL".

In any case, I just realized I missed the 2nd post-credit sequence lol.

There were two post credits sequences? I recall Thanos, but was there something else?
Varna
(05-14-2012, 03:44 AM)

Yes. This movie is on whole different level.

The first IM was OK, everything else ranged from forgettable to terrible (IM2... ugh). Never saw any of the Hulk films though. I don't feel like you miss a damn thing by not watching them either.

Originally Posted by Battersea Power Station

I'm not very "educated" on comic books, but my impression is that the Hulk is a hyperbolic magnification of Banner's anger. On the carrier, he was angry at Romanov and SHIELD for getting him involved, for the whole weaponization program, etc. So he transformed against his will and acted in the trajectory of his anger.

Pretty much what I got as well. I also looked to me like Loki's staff was affecting him too.
Good Job Bob
(05-14-2012, 03:45 AM)

After Iron Man 3, people will say: "This movie makes me wish they didn't even bother with Avengers now. Won't they seem small time compared to this?"
LakeEarth
(05-14-2012, 03:47 AM)
Nothing bad with Loki as a villain, he just was just a pawn, which knocks him down a few pegs in most people's eyes. Plus, he wasn't the focus of the true 'climax' of the film. The true climax was Stark bringing the bomb to the portal, trying to contact Pepper.

Did anyone catch the 'Firefly' shot of the movie? There was one point during the helicarrier sequence when Captain America was hanging off the carrier on the wire thing. There is a special effects shot where the camera sweeps across the heli-carrier and when it comes across Cap, it does a sudden zoom in, and zoom out, where the camera had to focus to adjust to the new zoom. Firefly did that shit all the time.
canadian crowe
(05-14-2012, 03:48 AM)
I think I'm just going to miss the character dynamics. I'll be most excited for Captain America 2 though. The first was fantastic.
TrumanBurbank
(05-14-2012, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Good Job Bob

After Iron Man 3, people will say: "This movie makes me wish they didn't even bother with Avengers now. Won't they seem small time compared to this?"

What?
I think people will just be asking where Hulk is....Bruce and Tony had such a great bromance going.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(05-14-2012, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Trigger

I saw this earlier in the afternoon. Easily the best superhero movie in awhile.

There were two post credits sequences? I recall Thanos, but was there something else?

Shawarma!

No mention of War Machine, but I have come to understand this is because the US Military withdrew its cooperation with the film.

Oh god they went all-out with your punishment av

edit: Why did people start spoilering things on this page again? Hahaha

Quick, somebody post the official FAQ! It's been too long since I've seen cobie anyway
Htown
STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
(05-14-2012, 03:58 AM)
For those who didn't know who Thanos was, here's why he was smiling when his minion said fighting the Avengers was like courting death:

At some point in his adult life, Thanos met the embodiment of Death itself who, in female form, became Thanos' companion. It is probable that Death was attracted to Thanos by both his philosophical dedication to nihilism as well as his willingness to commit genocide on even his own people. Thanos began, for the first time in his life, to experience love for another being, although the being was just a manifestation of Death. To make himself worthy of so awesome an entity, Thanos decided to acquire more power...

Good Job Bob
(05-14-2012, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by TrumanBurbank

What?
I think people will just be asking where Hulk is....Bruce and Tony had such a great bromance going.

Nah, Iron Man 3 will be such a great movie people will forget all about Avengers.
Htown
STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
(05-14-2012, 04:01 AM)

I think I'm just going to miss the character dynamics. I'll be most excited for Captain America 2 though. The first was fantastic.

Originally Posted by TrumanBurbank

What?

I would expect small cameos in most of the solo movies.
Hot Coldman
Sonic's brother and sister are NOT canon
(05-14-2012, 04:02 AM)

Nah, Iron Man 3 will be such a great movie people will forget all about Avengers.

You are going to be so disappointed by that film and it's going to be fucking hilarious.
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(05-14-2012, 04:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Htown

For those who didn't know who Thanos was, here's why he was smiling when his minion said fighting the Avengers was like courting death:

I'm reading Infinity Wars for the first time, and the series begins with the already dead Thanos being brought back to life by Death. How did he end up dead in the first place?
Escape Goat
(05-14-2012, 04:03 AM)
the only cameos in the solo films are going to be Stan Lee. RDJr isn't going to want Chris Evans stealing the spotlight in his own film and vice versa. Thats the whole point of teh solo film. Plus it would use up one the actors "Must appear in X number of films for Marvel" so it would get expensive at the negotiating table.
xXBetter Off DadXx
(05-14-2012, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Hawkian

Three showings deep at two theaters, and I still have not heard those words.

Same here. Speaks well to the awesomeness of that scene I'd say.
ConsumerSquare
(05-14-2012, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Battersea Power Station

Okay, makes sense. It was clear Banner didn't trust SHIELD.

Really, the movie did a good job of establishing the Hulk as the world's biggest ticking time bomb, so I wish the plot had just ran with that. Bring the Avengers together to tame/recruit Banner, and slowly build the cosmic threat in parallel to the Hulk related team building stuff. By the end of it all we'd have everyone in their roles in time for Thanos to bring the cosmic threat in The Avengers 2.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(05-14-2012, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by William Percy Nightstick

Same here. Speaks well to the awesomeness of that scene I'd say.

Definitely the most crowd-pleasing moment I've experienced in a theater.
Jake Tower
Banned
(05-14-2012, 04:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Teh Hamburglar

the only cameos in the solo films are going to be Stan Lee.

By the way, am I alone in cheering every time Stan Lee appears on screen in a film?
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(05-14-2012, 04:09 AM)

the only cameos in the solo films are going to be Stan Lee. RDJr isn't going to want Chris Evans stealing the spotlight in his own film and vice versa. Thats the whole point of teh solo film. Plus it would use up one the actors "Must appear in X number of films for Marvel" so it would get expensive at the negotiating table.

I can't see Ruffalo's 6 film deal turn into a bunch of solo projects and 1-2 more Avengers films. He's the most likely to show up in the other films.
ConsumerSquare
(05-14-2012, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Jake Tower

By the way, am I alone in cheering every time Stan Lee appears on screen in a film?

I tend to dread his inevitable cameos.
friskykillface
(05-14-2012, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Quick

that was my reason before seeing the movie. hearing just Loki by the main villain was meh and bleh to me.

but then Loki surprised me and made me realize he was the perfect villain for the movie, no more loloki from me anymore
The Broken Ska Record
(05-14-2012, 04:12 AM)

No, I do the same.
Ripclawe
Banned
(05-14-2012, 04:16 AM)

Will can be Luke Cage.

You keep him away from it, I can see Will Smith wanting to do some half ass comedy 70's version of Cage like Depp did with Dark Shadows
Good Job Bob

Originally Posted by Green Scar

You are going to be so disappointed by that film and it's going to be fucking hilarious.

Doubtful, given Black's directing/writing and the little Feige & Black have said about it, it sounds exactly like my cup of tea.
Last edited by Good Job Bob; 05-14-2012 at 04:27 AM.
PhoncipleBone
Yes, Loki did get slapped around a lot in the movie. But he is more of a manipulative villain and not a physical one. And in the smarts and manipulation department, he excelled.

One other thing my wife noticed between Thor and Avengers, is that when Loki is in his human disguise, he really likes to wear scarves with his suits.

Gotta admit, it is a really boss look. Others rock fedoras, Loki (and Sherlock) rock bad ass scarves.
Good Job Bob
(05-14-2012, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

Yes, Loki did get slapped around a lot in the movie. But he is more of a manipulative villain and not a physical one. And in the smarts and manipulation department, he excelled.

One other thing my wife noticed between Thor and Avengers, is that when Loki is in his human disguise, he really likes to wear scarves with his suits.

Gotta admit, it is a really boss look. Others rock fedoras, Loki (and Sherlock) rock bad ass scarves.

How so? They did a good job of portraying him as a pompous pretentious ass but they didn't really do much to show how smart and manipulative he is --- really he came off as a pawn to those aliens, also he was tricked by Black Widow.
Last edited by Good Job Bob; 05-14-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Riposte
(05-14-2012, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by ConsumerSquare

I tend to dread his inevitable cameos.

I'll miss them when he dies (soonish)
Hot Coldman
Sonic's brother and sister are NOT canon
(05-14-2012, 04:19 AM)

Doubtful, giving Black's directing/writing and the little Feige & Black have said about it, it sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

It sounds like mine too- I think it'll be great, I'm expecting Iron Man 1 quality.

The conditions in which it's being made are no different to the previous films though, which seemed to be your big issue. Soullessness and all that. Unless the lack of Avengers tie-ins is enough to make you less cautious about studio involvement, I dunno why Shane Black alone fixes your qualms to such a great extent.
ReiGun
They call me "Mr Soap"
(05-14-2012, 04:20 AM)

The audience clapped for him when his appearance came up at the midnight showing.
Snaku
Sperm Receptacle
(05-14-2012, 04:22 AM)

How so? They did a good job of portraying him as a pompous pretentious ass but they didn't really do much to show how smart and manipulative he is --- really he came off as a pawn to those aliens, also he was tricked by Black Widow.

He seemed more intimidated by Thanos to me.
nomis
(05-14-2012, 04:26 AM)

Doubtful, giving Black's directing/writing and the little Feige & Black have said about it, it sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

When it ends up being great, you should say that it was really all because of Feige though. Cause he's the producer.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(05-14-2012, 04:30 AM)
Extremis is the kind of arc that could be truly glorious translated to the screen, but seems rather easy to screw up.
Xamdou
(05-14-2012, 04:33 AM)
Loki and Coulsin are both amazing in this film. Screw the haters!

Though I would like to know how Thor ended up back to Earth.
Jake Tower
Banned
(05-14-2012, 04:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Hawkian

Extremis is the kind of arc that could be truly glorious translated to the screen, but seems rather easy to screw up.

Extremis is the manifestation of fanboy-wanker version of Tony Stark.

Keep that off the screen.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(05-14-2012, 04:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Xamdou

Loki and Coulsin are both amazing in this film. Screw the haters!

Though I would like to know how Thor ended up back to Earth.

Loki implied that Odin had to conjure up a great amount of dark matter to send Thor back.
demosthenes
(05-14-2012, 04:39 AM)

Extremis is the manifestation of fanboy-wanker version of Tony Stark.

Keep that off the screen.

It's all but confirmed the plot of IM3.
Xamdou
(05-14-2012, 04:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Divvy

Loki implied that Odin had to conjure up a great amount of dark matter to send Thor back.

Would have been epic if they showed Odin doing just that. I guess they might show it in Thor 2?
mysteriousmage09

Originally Posted by Snaku

He seemed more intimidated by Thanos to me.

Well i'd be scared shitless being within 100 yards of Thanos, god damn.
Jake Tower
Banned

Originally Posted by demosthenes

It's all but confirmed the plot of IM3.

smh
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(05-14-2012, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Xamdou

Would have been epic if they showed Odin doing just that. I guess they might show it in Thor 2?

Would have had to pay Anthony Hopkins again. I guess that's why they didn't bother.