• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-20-2012, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Hix

If you don't think the Chief and Cortana have developed an emotional attachment beyond friendship over the course of the Halo games, that's fine. No point arguing further, as even though it is established lore, if you don't see anything there then there's nothing I can say to sway your opinion.

What established lore? I have read every book and played every game many times over. It's not there. What you're describing is beyond John's character.

Besides, Frankie already said no romance is happening.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-20-2012, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by KevinCow

Grunts and elites are back? I thought we finished the fight. :/

Also, why are the colors so dull? I always liked the bright colors in the series.

Bros don't like color, yo.
phosphor112
Banned
(04-20-2012, 02:19 PM)
Not saying they look bad, but I don't like the art style.
B_Rik_Schitthaus
Banned
(04-20-2012, 02:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Hix

If you don't think the Chief and Cortana have developed an emotional attachment beyond friendship over the course of the Halo games, that's fine. No point arguing further as, even though it is established lore, if you don't see anything there then there's nothing I can say to sway your opinion.

Dude, her body is comprised of light, boning would be impossible by every standard of known science, there for it's just friendship (or big sister deal(who you cant't fuck for different reasons)).
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
(04-20-2012, 02:22 PM)
Edit: nvm, this is a juvenile argument.
Last edited by bengraven; 04-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Hix
(04-20-2012, 02:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Dax01

What established lore? I have read every book and played every game many times over. It's not there. What you're describing is beyond John's character.

As I said, there's no point arguing if you don't see it as it's subtle and very difficult to describe (beyond friends, but hard to define as romance in the traditional sense).

It's established vis Bungie stating that it's a part of the lore. Spartan's not having the capacity, seemingly, to have such feelings does make it different to put it down to John's character. I'd say he cares for Cortana as much as is possible for a Spartan to do so though, certainly more than anyone else in the Galaxy (like his Spartan brethren). There's a plethora of less subtle hints from Cortana's dialogue though, from flirting to outright dependency.

In the end though, it's one of those things that some will see and some won't. Plenty of people see it and you (and others I'm sure), don't. That's fine, but I'd imagine the issue will be dealt with as rampancy approaches.
Last edited by Hix; 04-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Rtas
(04-20-2012, 02:30 PM)
Must.....resist........fap.......

These look great, although I think I preferred the elite head design in H3. Chief and Cortana look spectacular, grunt is just weird, I was already hyped but this has put me over the edge. NEED HALO 4
shinobi602
Banned

Pretty sure Bungie mentioned kind of a "background romance" going on between Chief and Cortana in an interview or two around the time after H3 launched.

Besides, to me at least it seems fairly apparent she feels more for him than just a friend. The emotion in the way she says "I'll miss you" and the way her expression changes when change Chief tells her to wake him if she needs him shows more than just friendship.

Instead of saying "Wake me up if something happens" or something, he says "Wake me, when you need me."

Besides, Frankie already said no romance is happening.

Wasn't he just responding to a "Lolz Chief and Cortana gonna get it on!" post?
flyinpiranha
Looks amazing. I didn't play much MP after 3 though, Reach was great, but somewhat of a letdown after 3 (my personal favorite campaign). ODST did really nothing for me because I prefer the outside areas much more than the city-scapes. Let's hope they don't shoehorn us into a city.
jmdajr
Shit....

looks pretty fucking nice
BladeoftheImmortal
(04-20-2012, 02:31 PM)
Bullshots all up in this mug! Looks good, though. I hope the pistol from Halo 1 is finally back.
Dyno
Chief is the epic hero, Cortana is his cronicler. They are made for each other. There is love and respect but there won't be any sexuality. They are like brother and sister.
kameha5th
Banned
Holy shit Cora is HOT.
Felix Lighter
(04-20-2012, 02:35 PM)
I haven't been paying much attention to this. It looks nice. Cortana's face is encouraging. Reach was a step in the right direction when it came to human faces in Halo games but Halo 4 seems to finally have it right, if Cortana is anything to go by.
The Abominable Snowman
Pure Life tonsil tickle
Times like this makes me really hate GAF's pic quote resizing tech. Those screens might make me jump back in to Halo
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
You CortanaxCheif people are fucking WEIRD
Hix
(04-20-2012, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Wasn't he just responding to a "Lolz Chief and Cortana gonna get it on!" post?

Pretty much, since Spartans have no libido and it would be actually impossible for it to happen anyway, there's not going to be that kind of relationship. As stated though, that doesn't mean they don't care for each other more than anyone else, in their own way. They have a unique and very well crafted relationship that makes a nice undertone to the series, in my opinion at least.
Rtas
(04-20-2012, 02:38 PM)

Besides, to me at least it seems fairly apparent she feels more for him than just a friend. The emotion in the way she says "I'll miss you" and the way her expression changes when change Chief tells her to wake him if she needs him shows more than just friendship.

Instead of saying "Wake me up if something happens" or something, he says "Wake me, when you need me."

I always thought this after H3, Cortana is based off Halsey's brain, and Halsey herself hypothesized that her feelings for john (that he was superior, the one who would lead) were transferred to Cortana and developed upon by the AI Spoilered that on the off chance some people here haven't read the books. But seriously, obviously there can be no real romance, but there will always be a background one, neither can have a real relationship for numerous reasons but they need and trust each other implicitly this is obvious in H3 when chief goes through the portal purely on Cortana's advice. Risking everything on her word, even with the possibility she was compromised
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(04-20-2012, 02:40 PM)

cock fighting boots

grunts look kinda dumb. i guess for a grunt, thats an improvement :P
shinnn
(04-20-2012, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by BladeoftheImmortal

Bullshots all up in this mug! Looks good, though. I hope the pistol from Halo 1 is finally back.

Screens looks more like theater mode.
george_us
(04-20-2012, 02:42 PM)
The Covenant look like the Locust now. Once again though, thank GOD they got someone new to render faces. Cortana looks so much better than she used to.
Frankfurt
Banned
(04-20-2012, 02:42 PM)
Man, i love the art direction in Halo.

EDIT: I'll miss the shiny glossy surfaces, though.
Last edited by Frankfurt; 04-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Opus Angelorum
Banned
(04-20-2012, 02:43 PM)
dat lighting

Super sampled images?
ultron87
(04-20-2012, 02:47 PM)
The Elites look too... thin or something. I wish they had a bit more armor.
monome
(04-20-2012, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

I suppose CortanXMrManhattan makes better sense.

Cortana struck by baby blues is the dramatic, yet inevitable, event of Halo 5.
VGChampion
(04-20-2012, 02:48 PM)
Grunts and Cortana got ugly.
WJD
(04-20-2012, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by kameha5th

Holy shit Cora is HOT.

wat
TheOnlyMook
(04-20-2012, 02:51 PM)
Oh wow, DAMN

Really liking what 343i is doing. So pumped for November
Coolwhip
(04-20-2012, 02:53 PM)
Surprised so many people here fall for bullshots. Looks pretty nice though, hope the singleplayer in this one is fun.
op_ivy
(04-20-2012, 02:57 PM)

the spartan IV's are growing on me. i hope that we can alter the white stripe pattern too
Homeboyd
(04-20-2012, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

Surprised so many people here fall for bullshots.

LiK
(04-20-2012, 02:59 PM)
Cortana looks younger but i'm okay with this.

I miss gas mask Grunt already.
jet1911
(04-20-2012, 02:59 PM)

Surprised so many people here fall for bullshots. Looks pretty nice though, hope the singleplayer in this one is fun.

Everydoby here know these pics are bullshots.
shinobi602
Banned
(04-20-2012, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by op_ivy

Different color skins for weapons confirmed?
Tylahedras
Banned
(04-20-2012, 03:02 PM)
Bleh, don't like these over complicated designs, these enemies look like something you'd see in any FPS these days.

** The change kind of reminds me of what Michael Bay did to transformers.
Last edited by Tylahedras; 04-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Quicksilver4648
(04-20-2012, 03:03 PM)
As a fan of the series I am liking what I see. I am very excited for E3 when we will finally see campaign gameplay. Though, the wait till November is going to be long...
op_ivy
(04-20-2012, 03:03 PM)

Different color skins for weapons confirmed?

i was wondering if it was just the lighting that made both the white stripes bronze-ish, as well as the gun. the blue looks way off too.

Originally Posted by LiK

Cortana looks younger but i'm okay with this.

I miss gas mask Grunt already.

i'd say its quite likely there are different grunt models in the game, just like there were for most of the other games in the series. there will probably be the some with a more traditional mask.
Zeouterlimits
(04-20-2012, 03:04 PM)

People know that the game won't be 1080p if that's what you mean. We aren't ignorant of down sampling. Doesn't mean the game isn't looking great, we have seen video.
Khezu
(04-20-2012, 03:04 PM)
The gundam helmets are weird.
derFeef
lil' bit tasty
(04-20-2012, 03:07 PM)

Because we know it's not direct feed and we can still appreciate the technical brilliance and art direction this game seems to have. Surprised so many people can't differentiate that.

i was wondering if it was just the lighting that made both the white stripes bronze-ish, as well as the gun. the blue looks way off too.

Can't be the lighting, as the gun would look totally different if it would recieve colored light. You would also notice it on the Spartan.
KageMaru
(04-20-2012, 03:07 PM)
If you're reading this Frankie (or anyone else from 343i), can you tell us if those are actually the high res assets for the character models? They look too good to be in-game models IMO.

Otherwise, screens look great. You can really see the influence Kenneth Scott, Sparth, and the rest of the new art team.

Also curious to see how Halo 4's lighting differs from Reach's on a technical level. While Corrine Yu is may be the lead engine architect, she's primarily responsible for the shadow and lighting model IIRC. So I'm interested to see what she has done.

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

For some reason this really made me lol at work.

Everyone these days use bullshots, so it's not even worth talking about IMO.
Last edited by KageMaru; 04-20-2012 at 03:10 PM.
ACES11
(04-20-2012, 03:10 PM)
Damn, I was hoping for a new story, new enemies, and all that. Didn't we finish the fight or is that fight still going on?

Still going to pick it up day 1 but damn, hopefully, MP blows me away.

Any chance of a beta similar to 3 and Reach?
op_ivy
(04-20-2012, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by derFeef

Can't be the lighting, as the gun would look totally different if it would recieve colored light. You would also notice it on the Spartan.

i'm not a lighting expert, but as i mentioned you DO notice it on the spartan in the blue and white tones. basically, every color in that picture looks slightly off towards bronze. it could certainly mean we have far more control over our spartans color, including guns, or it could be indicative of some lighting condition they pulled the model from (unless i'm talking out of my ass)

Originally Posted by KageMaru

If you're reading this Frankie (or anyone else from 343i), can you tell us if those are actually the high res assets for the character models? They look too good to be in-game models IMO.

i'm sure the renders and cutscene shots are using the highest LOD models

Originally Posted by ACES11

no chance
Last edited by op_ivy; 04-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
watership
(04-20-2012, 03:14 PM)

Damn, I was hoping for a new story, new enemies, and all that. Didn't we finish the fight or is that fight still going on?

Still going to pick it up day 1 but damn, hopefully, MP blows me away.

It has a new story.
It has new enemies.
It's a completely new setting
No Beta.

You should read the responses in the thread. :)
Overdoziz
(04-20-2012, 03:16 PM)
Oh my god, we can also color our BR gold!
Look:

Hulud
(04-20-2012, 03:16 PM)
So the elites have broken their truce with humans? Or was that truce only applicable to a certain sect of elites? I need to replay Halo 3.
KageMaru
(04-20-2012, 03:17 PM)

i'm sure the renders and cutscene shots are using the highest LOD models

There's a difference between the high res assets developers use to create normal maps and an in-game model, even if we're talking about the highest LOD model. ;p
LiK
(04-20-2012, 03:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Hulud

So the elites have broken their truce with humans? Or was that truce only applicable to a certain sect of elites? I need to replay Halo 3.

I guess the easy way is a separate fanatical group loyal to the Prophets or mind control.
shinobi602
Banned
(04-20-2012, 03:20 PM)

Damn, I was hoping for a new story, new enemies, and all that.

It is a new trilogy. New enemies.
ACES11
(04-20-2012, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by watership

It has a new story.
It has new enemies.
It's a completely new setting
No Beta.

You should read the responses in the thread. :)

The GI Information has me skeptical. I know Frankie said they would clarify a lot of things but it kinda "de-hyped" me for the game. No beta is odd (considering Reach and Halo 3 had one). I know there are new enemies, I just don't want old ones too. I want 100% only new enemies. I don't want to fight the same guys again is what I was trying to get at and this has me just worried.
Last edited by ACES11; 04-20-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarification