• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Satterfield: Wii U Launch Line-Up is looking "pretty damn good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

monome

The fact that Nintendo pulled a Sony and announced NSMB2 should tell us that they, in fact, have a pretty damn good line-up at E3.

Full of highly anticipated games like Just Dance U, Carnival Games U, Rayman Raving Rabbids U etc.

August release is a godsend.
And probably due to strategy to not get too much overlapping between 3ds and wiiu mario 2d.

Can t wait to see a nintendo core IP in HD, hope they deliver it around launch.

AniHawk

Imagine something like this... plus Nintendo games

drool....

rayman 2 was a port. jgr, shenmue, and skies of arcadia were first-party. only mvc2 and grandia ii were new games from third parties.

the dreamcast had a good 2000 in general though. it was definitely the thing to have if you wanted some cool shit to play.

boyshine

I strongly believe that the best third party game at launch will be Lego City Stories.

Come at me bros!

I agree, and together with GTA V the two will make the console look like the perfect son/dad choice. They’re both open world action/car games, and LEGO City Stories will be huge on its own as it is more of a „anyone’s” game than a kids’ game. I know I’m assuming that GTA V will be on Wii U, but after all the times in the past years where Rockstar and GTA has been mentioned by Nintendo, it would be very surprising and a complete failure on Nintendo’s part if it’s not. Wii U simply cannot be the all-you-need console they want it to be without GTA.

Dabanton

I agree, and together with GTA V the two will make the console look like the perfect son/dad choice. They’re both open world action/car games, and LEGO City Stories will be huge on its own as it is more of a „anyone’s” game than a kids’ game. I know I’m assuming that GTA V will be on Wii U, but after all the times in the past years where Rockstar and GTA has been mentioned by Nintendo, it would be very surprising and a complete failure on Nintendo’s part if it’s not. Wii U simply cannot be the all-you-need console they want it to be without GTA.

The main problem i see especially with something like GTAV is the still unknown status of Nintendos online plans. GTAV like most of R* games this gen will be heavily online focused.

It will all come down to what Nintendos solution to that is. A weak online infrastructure is going to make certain games a no buy on the system.

"Shane Satterfield: Wii U Launch Line-Up is looking "pretty damn good"

I always thought he didn't like Nintendo much. If what he is saying is true...

Wii U will be Nintendo's SNES!

B E L I E V E

Is he strictly talking about their 3rd party launch line up? How would anyone besides Nintendo know what 1st party games would be released?

orioto

Good Art™
I hope he doesn't mean good in a "lots of great and solid multi games". We saw how it can work for the Vita and even the 3ds. People don't like the feeling that they can play the same on a new console and their actual one i guess....

I hope he doesn't mean good in a "lots of great and solid multi games". We saw how it can work for the Vita and even the 3ds. People don't like the feeling that they can play the same on a new console and their actual one i guess....

Third party console exclusives are extremely rare these days, so he's probably just talking about the quality of the lineup as a whole. Most launch lineups these days are filled with multiplatform titles and a few exclusives from the manufacturer.

Derrick01

Banned
If it's just a bunch of ports like AC3 and other big games then I think I'll just stick to my PC. I guess it depends how good the Wii-U ports are and if it uses that controller in any cool ways.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want to know if it looks damn good for someone who bought a Wii and is waiting for the next Nintendo console, or if it looks damn good for someone with a pc/xbox/ps3

cacildo

Well, remember when Nintendo showed the 3ds on E3, yeah, the first time...

And everybody was like "D00de, here it comes, another Nintendo thing with no games, just like the wii"

And then reggie took the stage and said "And here are the games and companies that will give support for the 3ds yep its this whole giant screen behind me filled with more than 30 names and here are a few games its everything and the kitchen sink (metal gear)"

And then everybody was like "Whoa, that´s support alright"

I bet nintendo will do the same with the WiiU on this year´s e3

Taker666

It's not that much of a surprise is it? Not based on the games we already know (and a strong rumour or two).

Wii U Sports
Pikmin
Super Mario Bros U & Mii/Super Mario Bros 4
Lego City Stories
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Skyfall 007 (if the neogaf leak was correct)
Ghost Recon Online
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Batman: Arkham City
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed 3

You can probably add Call of Duty and a few from EA ...and probably at least 1 unannounced title from Nintendo for the launch window.

That's a pretty strong list even without Japanese 3rd parties...and I really wouldn't discount some multiformat games being a pull to the mass market. Aliens + motion tracker + Wii U Zapper would be a marketing dream...if Sega want to market it of course.

SykoTech

Third party console exclusives are extremely rare these days, so he's probably just talking about the quality of the lineup as a whole. Most launch lineups these days are filled with multiplatform titles and a few exclusives from the manufacturer.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel this will end up too. Not hyped.

Would love to be wrong though, but Killer Freaks (bleh) and NSMBMii (ugh) will probably be the only big exclusives.

BD1

Banned
It's not that much of a surprise is it? Not based on the games we already know (and a strong rumour or two).

Wii U Sports
Pikmin
Lego City Stories
Ghost Recon Online
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed 3

I think Shiggy said in the 007 Collection reveal thread that the Skyfall game is 007 Collection. So we'll see what happens with that one.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel this will end up too. Not hyped.

Would love to be wrong though, but Killer Freaks (bleh) and NSMBMii (ugh) will probably be the only big exclusives.

I would like to think Retro's game that their doing end of dev-cycle crunch for is one of them too.

From the N64 to the Wii the 3rd party support has been laughably awful.

The fact that Nintendo is just now joining this generation with the WiiU, Satterfields statement is laughable.

From the N64 to the Wii the 3rd party support has been laughably awful.

The fact that Nintendo is just now joining this generation with the WiiU, Satterfields statement is laughable.

I don't know how. Your last statement makes no sense. You do know that Shatterfield hated the Wii, and would constantly dump on Nintendo for pretty much this entire generation, right?

Delio

When a friend saw the Wii U launch line-up, it's a shane because she was so impressed by it that she has to sat her bottom on a field.

Very clever pun aside, you can expect an unannounced title of a big third-party studio.

tumblr_m1j4a6DHIR1roxwdbo1_250.gif

Wii U Sports
Pikmin
Lego City Stories
Ghost Recon Online
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed 3

You can probably add Call of Duty and a few from EA ...and probably at least 1 unannounced title from Nintendo for the launch window.

That's a pretty strong list even without Japanese 3rd parties...and I really wouldn't discount some multiformat games being a pull to the mass market. Aliens + motion tracker + Wii U Zapper would be a marketing dream...if Sega want to market it of course.

If that list is accurate, and I'd guess it is pretty close, then there are 4-5 games there I'd want day 1!

SykoTech

I would like to think Retro's game that their doing end of dev-cycle crunch for is one of them too.

Damn, forgot about that one. Here's hoping, Prime is still one of my favorite games period.

It would also be great if Smash came close to launch like Melee did, but I think Nintendo will want to spend a lot more time hyping it through a dojo or something like they did Brawl.

All thus stuff about a good launch lineup is great, but for me the simple truth is that if it launches with Pikmin 3, I'm sold.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not sure I would take anything as gospel about a launch lineup for a system still 6 - 7 monhts out. Especially from a journalist. Just wait and see, hopefully they will have a good lineup but geez, they haven't even announced a launch lineup yet to get to the eventual delayed games from THAT list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom