• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Satterfield: Wii U Launch Line-Up is looking "pretty damn good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadstar

Is there any chance Wii U would launch with HD versions of it's best Wii games? I've never played Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 and at this point I'm really holding out for a HD release. Any chance this will happen?

I don't know how. Your last statement makes no sense. You do know that Shatterfield hated the Wii, and would constantly dump on Nintendo for pretty much this entire generation, right?

I don't know how Satterfields disdain for the Wii makes my statement about his overly generalized statement about the WiiU's launch lineup nonsensical.

I was speaking to the fact that the launch line up, while it may seem impressive now, will look silly when compared to what Sony and MS have to offer when the real next gen starts in 2013 and their(Nintendo's) 3rd party support will suffer for it.

Instro

Is there any chance Wii U would launch with HD versions of it's best Wii games? I've never played Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 and at this point I'm really holding out for a HD release. Any chance this will happen?

Probably not, it wouldn't make sense to have their old games at a new console launch. I think HD re-releases will happen though.

I was speaking to the fact that the launch line up, while it may seem impressive now, will look silly when compared to what Sony and MS have to offer when the real next gen starts in 2013 and their(Nintendo's) 3rd party support will suffer for it.
How is anything you've just said a fact? You're making fanboy predictions for systems that are at least a year out and are irrelevant to the Wii U's launch.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably have to hold off due to financial reasons and paying for school -- but by the following Summer I'll be good to get one.

If the launch line up is good, that'll probably mean I'll be able to snag a few of those games for cheap come around summer. I hope it works out for Nintendo and they succeed more than the 3DS launch did.

Ridley327

Probably not, it wouldn't make sense to have their old games at a new console launch. I think HD re-releases will happen though.

I'm expecting the Wii U VC to launch with at least one Gamecube title, but that would be the extent of it for the time being. HD remasters make a lot of sense if they're still sticking to Wii games not having any upscaling functions on the Wii U, but those won't come for a bit.

How is anything you've just said a fact? You're making fanboy predictions for systems that are at least a year out and are irrelevant to the Wii U's launch.

wut? Fanboy???

I've owned every Nintendo system at launch since the SNES (I didn't get my NES until '88). My statement is based off personal experience and Nintendo's own history of how they regard 3rd party support. *Protip* they don't really care! ;)

Nintendo has served their own needs at the expense of 3rd party since the N64 and that is a fact.

I love Nintendo's franchises but they come too few and really far between and they need 3rd party support to fill those gaps. I don't believe they'll get that support once Sony and MS launch their new machines in 2013.

I don't know how Satterfields disdain for the Wii makes my statement about his overly generalized statement about the WiiU's launch lineup nonsensical.

This makes no sense.

guek

Banned
I don't believe they'll get that support once Sony and MS launch their new machines in 2013.

This is based off of pure assumption, not facts. Precedence is in your favor, but not much else.

Based on what we know, Wii U 3rd party support next gen could go either way, regardless what you personally think. There's a lot of details left to be revealed though.

KageMaru

wut? Fanboy???

I've owned every Nintendo system at launch since the SNES (I didn't get my NES until '88). My statement is based off personal experience and Nintendo's own history of how they regard 3rd party support. *Protip* they don't really care! ;)

Nintendo has served their own needs at the expense of 3rd party since the N64 and that is a fact.

I love Nintendo's franchises but they come too few and really far between and they need 3rd party support to fill those gaps. I don't believe they'll get that support once Sony and MS launch their new machines in 2013.

Even understanding Nintendo's past, there are some key differences this gen and also some factors you're overlooking IMO.

We'll see how it all goes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cool. As others have said, most likely talking about 3rd party stuff. I imagine it is nothing more than Wii U getting some of the more high profile PS360 stuff right at launch, and not exclusives, but still nice to hear.

You're making wild assumptions about systems you know little (Wii U) to nothing (PS, Xbox) about.

My "assumptions" are based off the past histories of what these companies have done which is recorded fact.

Nintendo will (in all likelihood) do well until the hype train for the ps4/720 start.

And I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just going to keep my expectations in check because nintendo is very good at plucking at the old NES/SNES nostalgic fanboy in all of us.

My nostalgia glasses are off and I can see with better objectivity then most.

wrowa

My "assumptions" are based off the past histories of what these companies have done which is recorded fact.

Nintendo will (in all likelihood) do well until the hype train for the ps4/720 start.
Yes, that's clearly what history told us. Remember when no one bought the Wii because the more popular consoles Xbox 360 and PS3 were already on the market?

BY2K

Membero Americo

And I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just going to keep my expectations in check because nintendo is very good at plucking at the old NES/SNES nostalgic fanboy in all of us.

Oh aren't you sweet.

Tell me, what's the situation between the 3DS and the Vita? Last time I checked, the 3DS was kicking the Vita's ass. (At least in Japan, did we ever get some Vita numbers for NA?)

jrDev

It's true that Iwata said they learned their lesson from the slow start of 3DS. And 3DS argueably didn't have the most compelling launch title selection. And of course you could say that Wii U is getting many quality titles for launch but if vast majority of them are ports from past years (which will be the case for most publishers) then it doesn't really matter.
Logic (and evidence so far) is guaranteeing most of the lineup won't be ports from "past years"...

yurinka

I expect to see at launch New Super Mario Bros Wii (U) 2, since they said something about consoles conectivity when announcing NSMB2 for 3DS.

If it isn't BC, I think it's because they plan to do the same Sony did this gen, to release HD versions of the previous gen (PS2/PSP instead of Wii) in the HD console (PS3 insead of WiiU) as retail games with some minor updates (trophies/Move/3D/minor graphical upgrades/etc), maybe released as collections.

My money is on something like the Vita.

High quantity, tons of ports including ports of games that have been out for more than a year, some sequels to games with minimal new features and then a general lukewarm feeling of the whole thing, proceeded by twiddling of thumbs waiting for new games.

So basically a decent launch.
This PSP / Vita haz no gamez, it only haz portz is just bullshit trolling.
I'm tired of hearing this in Gaf a lot of times.

If I don't mistake Vita launch had :

16 new games
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
WipEout 2048
Lumines:Electronic Symphony
Army Corps of Hell
Dynasty Warriors Next
Escape Plan (PSN Only)
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super Stardust Delta (PSN Only)
TOUCH MY KATAMARI
Reality Fighters
Ridge Racer Vita
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PSN Only)
Asphalt: Injection
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
Little Deviants

12 ports / enhaced ports / multiplatform games
Ben 10: Galactic Racing
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
F1 2011
FIFA Soccer
Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Virtua Tennis 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only)
Rayman Origins

Maybe there are some few missing ones or some in the wrong group (I'm not interested in some of them), but it's pretty clear that Vita had a lot of NEW games that aren't ports or enhaced ports compared to other systems. Both the quality and the proportion of new vs ports is higher than the average game launch of a lot of other systems.

Oh aren't you sweet.

Tell me, what's the situation between the 3DS and the Vita? Last time I checked, the 3DS was kicking the Vita's ass. (At least in Japan, did we ever get some Vita numbers for NA?)

There's currently a drought of games for the Vita and the 3DS did pretty poorly at launch. Iwata and several other execs took a pay cut because of it.

I don't know how your comparison relates to the home console market though?

Can't wait for that RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRR!

I'm down, though was it ShockingAlberto who heard in some way that Namco isn't making one? Hope they are doing one, I've been meaning to get the 3DS version, and would be happy with a Wii U one, even if it's a port of RR7.

guek

Banned

Historical precedent is not what's going to determine 3rd party support. Any correlation that exists between past and future platform viability is going to be miniscule at best. You need to be realistic. You say your nostalgia glasses are off, but your argument boils down to nothing more than "cuz it's nintendo."

If 3rd party ports are possible on the Wii U, they will probably come. We know this based on present day 3rd party trends. Even if porting is difficult, it's hard to say with certainty how next gen is going to turn out. We don't know exactly what the Wii U will be capable of...we know absolutely nothing about what PS4/XB3 will be capable of. You're making gross assumptions that have no correlation with what we do and do not know.

I'm confident that the WiiU will at least have better 3rd party support than the Wii, that in combination with Nintendo's games is enough for me to get behind it. If it ends up getting 3rd party support on par with either of the other two consoles, then that will be a nice plus.

yurinka

I'm down, though was it ShockingAlberto who heard in some way that Namco isn't making one? Hope they are doing one, I've been meaning to get the 3DS version, and would be happy with a Wii U one, even if it's a port of RR7.
If they release one, I think that a port if RR Unbounded is more likely than a brand new one considering the RRU recent release.

I really want to see GTA V on this system, but I can't think of any good or fun features using the touchscreen. I was thinking of a GPS, but the one IV had seems more intuitive.

Alex

I just want the Nintendo games, not the third party port barrage of old shit I have on my PC, so I hope that angle of it is the good part.

Terrell

If we're gonna play the "history" card, Japanese developers struggled this gen because they, like every other gen, threw the majority of their support behind a single platform, but this time they did it with PS3. Thanks to its failure at launch, they were forcibly hoisted into multi-platform development to hedge their bets, using pre-existing HD assets made for PS3. And because the word "multi-platform" is a dirty word to them and have always done exclusives or timed exclusives with later-down-the-road ports, they floundered. BAD.

By and large, thanks to the success of the Wii, 3rd-parties in Japan see a viable Japanese HD platform that's coming out unopposed for at least a year in their home country. They're going to double-down on the WiiU. And because of that, I feel no hesitation about 3rd-party support whatsoever.

If we're gonna play the "history" card, Japanese developers struggled this gen because they, like every other gen, threw the majority of their support behind a single platform, but this time they did it with PS3. Thanks to its failure at launch, they were forcibly hoisted into multi-platform development to hedge their bets, using pre-existing HD assets made for PS3. And because the word "multi-platform" is a dirty word to them and have always done exclusives or timed exclusives with later-down-the-road ports, they floundered. BAD.

By and large, thanks to the success of the Wii, 3rd-parties in Japan see a viable Japanese HD platform that's coming out unopposed for at least a year in their home country. They're going to double-down on the WiiU. And because of that, I feel no hesitation about 3rd-party support whatsoever.

So they're going to throw away the entire ps360 user base and bet on a system which hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL

At best you'll get some ps3 ports.

So they're going to throw away the entire ps360 user base and bet on a system which hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL

At best you'll get some ps3 ports.

So they're just going to throw away the entire PS2 userbase and make games for the PS3 that hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom