• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Satterfield: Wii U Launch Line-Up is looking "pretty damn good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have it on very good authority that I don't know anything about the Wii U's launch line-up.

Take that as you will.

Terrell

So they're going to throw away the entire ps360 user base and bet on a system which hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL

At best you'll get some ps3 ports.

Devs are ready for a new gen to start. Nintendo's the only one on the scene. Rocket science this isn't.

This is like saying that no one gave up PS1 or SNES development when new hardware hit the scene because "why would they throw an existing user base away on an unproven system?"

EDIT: DAMMIT ACE.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No shit! with the about of Multiplats that going be available at launch, it should be pretty dam good........for someone who doesn't own a PS3 or 360.

So they're just going to throw away the entire PS2 userbase and make games for the PS3 that hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL
Not exactly the same...but continue thinking like that.

lockload

the key is the games have to be a margin better than their xbox360/ps3 counterparts for me to even consider getting one

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
the key is the games have to be a margin better than their xbox360/ps3 counterparts for me to even consider getting one

Well, then that is not going to happen. The only games that will look better will be Nintendo's first party efforts.

So they're just going to throw away the entire PS2 userbase and make games for the PS3 that hasn't sold a single unit yet? LOL

Sure, on the assumption that the ps3 would be the next ps2 and they could get ahead of the competition. What exactly is so enticing about the wii u to japanese home console developers that would cause them to shift exclusively to that? How is it more viable than ps3?

Instro

wut? Fanboy???

I've owned every Nintendo system at launch since the SNES (I didn't get my NES until '88). My statement is based off personal experience and Nintendo's own history of how they regard 3rd party support. *Protip* they don't really care! ;)

Nintendo has served their own needs at the expense of 3rd party since the N64 and that is a fact.

I love Nintendo's franchises but they come too few and really far between and they need 3rd party support to fill those gaps. I don't believe they'll get that support once Sony and MS launch their new machines in 2013.

You don't think the posts you were making sounded like fanboy drivel? I find your argument about Nintendo and 3rd parties pretty flawed as well. The Wii may have not fostered an ecosystem where 3rd party's could succeed with core titles, but to imply that Nintendo holds the same negative attitudes towards 3rd parties that they did over a decade ago is rather silly considering the efforts they have made on their portable systems to secure major franchises. Shoot, they are localizing and marketing other developers games these days, I think its quite apparent that they care about getting 3rd party support(at least on some level), considering they make more money that way.

I'd get into discussion of Nintendo testing 3rd party engines on the WiiU and taking feedback from 3rd parties on the hardware, but these are just rumors so I doubt that would be very convincing for you.

Sure, on the assumption that the ps3 would be the next ps2 and they could get ahead of the competition. What exactly is so enticing about the wii u to japanese home console developers that would cause them to shift exclusively to that?

So...
They moved from the PS2 to the PS3 because the PS2 did well.
But they won't move to the Wii U because the Wii did well?

Sure, on the assumption that the ps3 would be the next ps2 and they could get ahead of the competition. What exactly is so enticing about the wii u to japanese home console developers that would cause them to shift exclusively to that?

Is the fact that the Wii outsold the PS3 and the 360 not enough?

schuelma

I assume we're talking abou the SE's and the other big boys. What exactly did the wii do for them?

Well, if we are talking about Japanese developers, I would say they would quite possibly be amenable to taking development to Wii U as opposed to gambling on another massive increase in development costs on successors to platforms that took years to become viable in Japan.

Terrell

I assume we're talking abou the SE's and the other big boys. What exactly did the wii do for them?

It did nothing, because they poured all their resources into PS3. And they paid the price for that by not being able to capitalize on Wii's success. But in their defense, Wii would have been a really out-there proposition as generational sales leader.

Hindsight is 20/20. You think they'll skip out a 2nd time on Nintendo's console success just cuz they weren't smart enough to predict Nintendo being successful again?

Sure, on the assumption that the ps3 would be the next ps2 and they could get ahead of the competition. What exactly is so enticing about the wii u to japanese home console developers that would cause them to shift exclusively to that? How is it more viable than ps3?

POTENTIAL USERBASE, perhaps? Sure was enough to lure Dragon Quest X to both Wii AND WiiU instead of just the former.

For a launch to be "pretty damn good," I expect quality games hitting up numerous major genres with at least 2 or 3 must have killer-apps. If he just means that we'll get yet another CoD (yawn) then his sensebilities are way off.

Glass Joe

Hey maybe we could have a Mario game at launch just like the old days.

I can dream can't I?

The guess is New Super Mario Bros. Mii 2... But with a very similar 2-D Mario title coming out in August for the 3DS, I'm not sure how "must have" it would be. I totally agree that having Mario at launch was a great tradition. What a silly move to stop that around the Gamecube era.

Galaxy came out in Nov. 2007. Galaxy 2 in May 2010. It's not out of the question that Galaxy 3 will be there at launch. With hopefully 2D Mario later.

If not, hopefully they at least have a name franchise. Smash Bros seems unlikely unless a different developer (Retro?) was quietly laying the groundwork on it while Kid Icarus 3D was being made. Zelda is almost a definite no. A new Mario Kart? Maybe.

linkhero said:
Guessing he's referring to Western titles. My hunch is GTA V will be launch title.

If GTA V is slated as a holiday title (I haven't kept up), it would be a HUGE mistake if Nintendo didn't do whatever it took ($$$) to get the definitive version on Wii U. It would show off the gate they're serious, mature, and third party & western developer friendly.

Also, if they had such a huge title from a 3rd party, they could relax a little and let some of their own games slide into Jan - March 2013... when you KNOW there will be a software gap. That would be a good time for Pikmin, F-Zero, Star Fox, or other A but not AAA titles. Those aren't necessarily system sellers on their own (to the masses) but they would keep hype up and keep the hardcore gamers excited about their new console.

Instro

I'm not trying to be flippant, but the odds that a 3rd party is going to take the time to make a Wii U port look better than its PS360 counterparts is about zero.

I imagine it will depend on whether said game has a PC version that outclasses the console versions by more than just a resolution option. Like obviously it makes sense that the dev team for Aliens says the game will look better on the WiiU, conversely it also makes sense why Darksiders 2 would see no visual upgrades on the WiiU.

Vinci

Danish
Wii U threads are so fun. If the quote is negative, believe it; if it's positive, claim it's wrong or exaggerated. I'll say this much: If Nintendo has nailed online and given devs a system that is more capable than currently existing ones, and 3rd parties allow it to flounder by providing shit support or marginalizing its audience, then 3rd parties deserve whatever they get.

I, however, doubt that they are this foolish.

jgmo870

Banned
There's no reason why it shouldn't be great. There's no reason why the WiiU should suffer a dry spell for the first year. But if its all just multiplat stuff and NSMB bull, there's no reason for me to pick it up.

Linkhero1

If GTA V is slated as a holiday title (I haven't kept up), it would be a HUGE mistake if Nintendo didn't do whatever it took ($$$) to get the definitive version on Wii U. It would show off the gate they're serious, mature, and third party & western developer friendly.

Also, if they had such a huge title from a 3rd party, they could relax a little and let some of their own games slide into Jan - March 2013... when you KNOW there will be a software gap. That would be a good time for Pikmin, F-Zero, Star Fox, or other A but not AAA titles. Those aren't necessarily system sellers on their own (to the masses) but they would keep hype up and keep the hardcore gamers excited about their new console.

Definitely. I'm not sure how Nintendo's relationship with Rockstar is now, but I'm hoping it's patched up. I would buy GTA V for my Wii U rather than my 360 if it's a launch title.

I'm think there first party output will still be a strong as ever, but this time around they're helping third parties in other ways. They've lent them a hand with optimizing their engines and with middleware solutions, so I think that's a lot more than they have ever done. Also if NiN is really as good as some of are hoping than there's no reason why the Wii U won't get some great third party titles.

Anustart

I'm thinking Half Life 3, Starcraft 2 : Heart of the Swarm and Galaxy 3.
No I'm not, its totally Wii U Music and gallons of my tears

Tutomos

If they could charge $40 and sell 5+ million of it, yes.
However, neither seems likely.

If I'm in charge of SE or any other game publishers, it'll be very foolish of me not considering ipad as an option to develop my games on. I understand Nintendo fans are sensitive about this but if you think purely business you have to explore all the possibilities.

Please be Metroid Prime 4 with Andrew Jones back producing concept art. On a smaller note, I recently played MP2 and that game is fantastic. Certainly enjoyed it more the second time around.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but the odds that a 3rd party is going to take the time to make a Wii U port look better than its PS360 counterparts is about zero.

Didn't someone outright say that here? I forget who, but wasn't there a Dev in one of the Wii threads explaining why is it that we won't see any improved ports of PS360 games?

Edit: I just remembered he was talking about his company specifically; although, I'm sure many companies are thinking along the same lines as his.

If that is the case, it is still better than barely having any third party support at launch. Of course, there is still the danger of only getting decent support for launch and then barely getting anything or just sub-par stuff down the line, as someone likely mentioned.

I feel they need one exclusive title (whether 1st or 3rd party makes no difference) that's geared towards a slightly older audience. NSMB and Pikmin are all well and good, but those and some multiplatform titles may not cut it w/ the core gamers who typically buy consoles at launch. Wii had Zelda. Wii U needs something to appeal to this demographic.

schuelma

I feel they need one exclusive title (whether 1st or 3rd party makes no difference) that's geared towards a slightly older audience. NSMB and Pikmin are all well and good, but those and some multiplatform titles may not cut it w/ the core gamers who typically buy consoles at launch. Wii had Zelda. Wii U needs something to appeal to this demographic.

I think that is Retro's job.

Linkhero1

Rumor has it that Retro's working on something for that audience. We'll find out at E3 hopefully.

If I'm in charge of SE or any other game publishers, it'll be very foolish of me not considering ipad as an option to develop my games on. I understand Nintendo fans are sensitive about this but if you think purely business you have to explore all the possibilities.

They are developing games for iOS, though.
However, it's not their giant budget games, because the return on investment simply isn't there.

Instro

How do idevices do in Japan?

Glass Joe

Definitely. I'm not sure how Nintendo's relationship with Rockstar is now, but I'm hoping it's patched up. I would buy GTA V for my Wii U rather than my 360 if it's a launch title.

I'm think there first party output will still be a strong as ever, but this time around they're helping third parties in other ways. They've lent them a hand with optimizing their engines and with middleware solutions, so I think that's a lot more than they have ever done. Also if NiN is really as good as some of are hoping than there's no reason why the Wii U won't get some great third party titles.

I don't think they've actually had a bad relationship with Rockstar. GTA never hit Nintendo consoles I think for other reasons -- Gamecube discs had a storage size issue (GTA III), and the Wii wasn't powerful enough to handle IV. They still found time to make a DS version and supported the Wii early, mainly with PS2 ports (Bully, Manhunt).

But with Wii U, there isn't going to be a horsepower issue or storage issue. No excuse unless they DO have some kind of problem with Nintendo, and/or if Nintendo is too proud to play ball (which I doubt). I really doubt GTA V would be exclusive, but some bonus content and better framerate / textures / draw distance would be a pretty big deal.

Linkhero1

I don't think they've actually had a bad relationship with Rockstar. GTA never hit Nintendo consoles I think for other reasons -- Gamecube discs had a storage size issue (GTA III), and the Wii wasn't powerful enough to handle IV. They still found time to make a DS version and supported the Wii early, mainly with PS2 ports (Bully, Manhunt).

But with Wii U, there isn't going to be a horsepower issue or storage issue. No excuse unless they DO have some kind of problem with Nintendo, and/or if Nintendo is too proud to play ball (which I doubt). I really doubt GTA V would be exclusive, but some bonus content and better framerate / textures / draw distance would be a pretty big deal.

Pretty sure there were some issues between Nintendo and Rockstar North. I can't find the thread, but there was a discussion about this from a while ago.

Agreed there is no reason for excuses from third parties but I'm betting we'll see a lot of developers pulling a Kojima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom