• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Drencrom
Member
(04-23-2012, 12:58 PM)
Drencrom's Avatar
Perfect thread name, i'm kinda shocked I haven't heard about this.

And yeah, bomba.
Yo Gotti
Banned
(04-23-2012, 01:02 PM)
Yo Gotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drencrom

Perfect thread name, i'm kinda shocked I haven't heard about this.

And yeah, bomba.

Funny how people keep saying this, despite the first one selling very well with a similar lacok of marketing.
snoopeasystreet
Member
(04-23-2012, 01:04 PM)
snoopeasystreet's Avatar
Had no idea this out so soon. Hopefully it's alright.
gabbre
Member
(04-23-2012, 01:07 PM)
gabbre's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Funny how people keep saying this, despite the first one selling very well with a similar lacok of marketing.

But the first one was mentioned every fucking day because it was similar to Infamous

BOOOOMBA
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-23-2012, 01:15 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
So I played a build of this a few months back at their Vancouver studio and it was pretty fun. Probably not gonna set the world on fire, but we'll at least nuke New York. (Again.)
ArjanN
Member
(04-23-2012, 03:05 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by gabbre

But the first one was mentioned every fucking day because it was similar to Infamous

BOOOOMBA

I like how the first review on the previous page compares it to Infamous again. :P
wrog
Member
(04-23-2012, 03:08 PM)
wrog's Avatar
First online reviews:
IGN - 7/10
CVG - 8/10
Destructoid - 8/10
glaurung
Member
(04-23-2012, 03:09 PM)
glaurung's Avatar

Originally Posted by wrog

First online reviews:
IGN - 7/10

I thought IGN was doing its harsh schoolmeister review attitude thing this season?

Shouldn't they have given P2 a 3.5 or something?
Claude
Catalina's bitch
(04-23-2012, 03:24 PM)
Claude's Avatar

Originally Posted by wrog

First online reviews:
IGN - 7/10
CVG - 8/10
Destructoid - 8/10

Thanks. Updated the OT.
SillyEskimo
Member
(04-23-2012, 03:31 PM)
SillyEskimo's Avatar
This reminds me that I need to finish the first one. I will get this eventually, but likely at a bomba price. I liked the first one a lot. There was so much going on at any given time it could almost get overwhelming. I hope the sequel brings some of the encounters down a notch and refines everything.

The movement and sense of pure power in the first game have yet to be duplicated in any other game for me. It is a lot of fun to play, but not really for extended periods because you have 10 billion things trying to kill you at all times and that could get frustrating.
AgentP
Member
(04-23-2012, 03:38 PM)
AgentP's Avatar
7 is on the upper end of what I expected. It looks like the first, mindless destruction with a bad story. Might pick it up sub-$20.
jtrov
Junior Member
(04-23-2012, 07:00 PM)
I had quite a bit of fun with Prototype 1, regardless of some of it's rough spots. I couldn't care less about the story, but I enjoyed the art-style, gameplay mehcanics, and overall feel of the game. There was certainly a distinct charm, running around such a grim and dark city with these mutated powers.

Wasn't really thinking about buying Prototype 2, but after watching a few videos the game looks pretty damn cool. Been craving a new Sandbox game after the dlc in Saints Row: The Third left me pretty disappointed. Should be a very fun distraction while waiting for Max Payne 3 to come out.

Also, is the RADnet stuff only available for pre-orders? From how some sites worded it, it sounded like it would be available to new copies bought within the "release window". I wanted to pick this up at Target for the free cases of soda, but I don't want to miss out on any content. :/
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(04-23-2012, 07:03 PM)
Data West's Avatar
I figured 7 or 8. Like I said, I assume the game will just be a fun explosiathon to kill time with in a similar way to Koei titles.

I never fell for their 'oh, he's a relatable guy' story. Come on, Radical. You say he's a good guy but let him slaughter everyone if the player chooses. And I'm not saying you should make them invincible. I'm saying that you should've never tried to play up the story to the game.
george_us
Member
(04-23-2012, 07:06 PM)
george_us's Avatar
I have this coming in the mail tomorrow and I can't freaking wait. P1 is one of my favorite open world games this generation.
casabolg
Banned
(04-23-2012, 07:11 PM)
casabolg's Avatar
I said before, the reason Prototype was popular was to combat InFamous on both a marketing and fanboy level.
Not surprised how quiet this is.
Speedymanic
Banned
(04-23-2012, 07:15 PM)
Speedymanic's Avatar

Originally Posted by casabolg

I said before, the reason Prototype was popular was to combat InFamous on both a marketing and fanboy level.
Not surprised how quiet this is.

Nah, it was a genuinely good game. Acti rarely advertise games that aren't CoD and if they do, they completely botch it.

Blur advertising, for example.
Razlo
Member
(04-23-2012, 07:15 PM)
Razlo's Avatar
Just played and beat Prototype this weekend. It's a little janky, but a lot of fun as well. Looking forward to picking up the sequel at midnight.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(04-23-2012, 07:19 PM)
Data West's Avatar

Originally Posted by casabolg

I said before, the reason Prototype was popular was to combat InFamous on both a marketing and fanboy level.
Not surprised how quiet this is.

Then why did it sell well on PS3? Your theory makes no sense.
SpeedySwaf
Member
(04-23-2012, 07:28 PM)
I had this game reserved on gamefly. Thought if I could return my game today, then I might be able to get it tomorrow.

But it turns out a day before release, the chances of getting it are already "Low."

Welp, lesson learned :/ On the bright side, that means I'll either get Reckoning, Darkness II or Transformers.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
(04-23-2012, 07:29 PM)
RoboPlato's Avatar
Why doesn't Alex Mercer use a keyboard?

Because he's too pro to type!

That's the extent of my contribution to this thread.
NoirVisage
Banned
(04-23-2012, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by RoboPlato

Why doesn't Alex Mercer use a keyboard?

Because he's too pro to type!

That's the extent of my contribution to this thread.

That was clever, in an "R D RR" kinda way.
Kyon
Banned
(04-23-2012, 08:03 PM)
Kyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Funny how people keep saying this, despite the first one selling very well with a similar lacok of marketing.

no it didnt. It mostly got attention because of Infamous
AHA-Lambda
Member
(04-23-2012, 08:10 PM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Funny how people keep saying this, despite the first one selling very well with a similar lacok of marketing.

yeah but activisions expectations for this are higher now and the hype seems to be a lot lower.

EDIT: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/activ...s-april/092468

they hope for 4 million copies sold........yeah...
Xater
Member
(04-23-2012, 09:47 PM)
Xater's Avatar
I just saw that 4Players.de did a review of it: 72/100

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...ototype_2.html
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(04-23-2012, 09:50 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

they hope for 4 million copies sold........yeah...



"Good luck"
Last edited by NullPointer; 04-23-2012 at 09:53 PM.
SillyEskimo
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:01 PM)
SillyEskimo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyon

no it didnt. It mostly got attention because of Infamous

I always thought that the only reason Infamous received recognition was because it came out around the same time as Prototype.
Yo Gotti
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:03 PM)
Yo Gotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyon

no it didnt. It mostly got attention because of Infamous

Prototype outsold both Infamous and Infamous 2, so how is this possible?
LiK
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:03 PM)
LiK's Avatar
4 million copies
DTKT
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:05 PM)
DTKT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Prototype outsold both Infamous and Infamous 2, so how is this possible?

Infamous was PS3 exclusive? Prototype came out on all 3 platforms.
Bomber Bob
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:07 PM)
Bomber Bob's Avatar
read as popeye 2
Yo Gotti
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:08 PM)
Yo Gotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by DTKT

Infamous was PS3 exclusive? Prototype came out on all 3 platforms.

Top 10 Software Sales, June 2009

PROTOTYPE 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 419.9K
UFC 2009: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ 338.3K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 272.4K
WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA 360 THQ 199.4K
INFAMOUS PS3 SONY 192.7K

Come on son.
Queen of Hunting
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:09 PM)
Queen of Hunting's Avatar
had great love for the first game, one of my fav games this gen, hope this one is just as good
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(04-23-2012, 10:10 PM)
Data West's Avatar

Originally Posted by DTKT

Infamous was PS3 exclusive? Prototype came out on all 3 platforms.

Still wouldn't outsell InFamous if it was only getting hype because InFamous existed. Also, Prototype's GI cover story was in August 2007. InFamous's was in July 2008. The idea that Prototype only got coverage because InFamous existed is tin foil hat levels.
SapientWolf
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:10 PM)
SapientWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bomber Bob

read as popeye 2

This is the darker side of Popeye's spinach problem.
AgentP
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:14 PM)
AgentP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Prototype outsold both Infamous and Infamous 2, so how is this possible?

Evidence? There are no lifetime numbers on infamous 1/2 are there?
DTKT
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:15 PM)
DTKT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yo Gotti

Top 10 Software Sales, June 2009

PROTOTYPE 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 419.9K
UFC 2009: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ 338.3K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 272.4K
WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA 360 THQ 199.4K
INFAMOUS PS3 SONY 192.7K

Come on son.

Damn bro. You sure told me.
RiccochetJ
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:18 PM)
RiccochetJ's Avatar
I will buy this when it hits $40. I had a great time with the first one despite the massive difficulty spike in the later chapters.

The first one was hilariously morbid. I still remember the first time I hopped in a tank and drove down the streets. All those poor pedestrians. Some were even suicidal and would dive in front of me.
Zero-Crescent
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:30 PM)
Zero-Crescent's Avatar
I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, so I'll be checking this one out eventually. Too bad Redbox only offers the 360 version, or I'd just rent it from there.
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(04-23-2012, 10:35 PM)
Ranger X's Avatar
Sad thing with the first one is that it played like a Prototype of a game. I had fun for 15 mins and there was more bugs in that 15 mins than in the entire GTA series. I hope this one will find its way.
Vorg
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:37 PM)
Vorg's Avatar
I beat the first one, but is was one of the jankiest 360 games I've played. Typical activision stuff tbqh.
d0c_zaius
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:48 PM)
d0c_zaius's Avatar
I just finished my playthrough and got all the collectables.

It has some pleasant moments, and I still like the gameplay (not the hell camera though).

But it feels like this game should not have been made. It does nothing new, feels very unpolished and the story elements are not very compelling at all. You are basically doing the same 4 things over and over with variety only thought of towards the end during a couple of missions.

The dialogue in particular from the main character is really awkward at times. Its like Bulletstorm but bad.
AwShucks
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:58 PM)
as I said before, and now confirmed due to reviews, I'll pick it up sub $40.

Also, on the inFamous/Prototype debate (do I really want to interject myself?), I bought both on release and while I do enjoy inFamous more I didn't know about one due to the other. They both had a perfectly normal amount of exposure as far as I recall. I know people that love Prototype but have never really heard of inFamous (or know of it but nothing more than that), and vice versa. It's a stupid argument anyways.
ArjanN
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:58 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyon

no it didnt. It mostly got attention because of Infamous

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.
Last edited by ArjanN; 04-23-2012 at 11:00 PM.
dragonflys545
Junior Member
(04-23-2012, 11:04 PM)
dragonflys545's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.

Lmao yeah no. I got bored with Prototype after 2 hours.
george_us
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:05 PM)
george_us's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.

It was better balanced also. I loved the shit out of Prototype but the graphics were mediocre at best, unbalanced as hell, the story was a bit confusing, and the mission design wasn't really good as a whole. What Prototype DID do right is make you feel like an unstoppable force of nature whereas you felt like a weak bitch when playing as even a fully powered up Cole in inFamous.
The Bookerman
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:10 PM)
The Bookerman's Avatar

Originally Posted by wrog

First online reviews:
IGN - 7/10
CVG - 8/10
Destructoid - 8/10

Am I the only one who has a hard time to give Greg Miller any creditibility.
Maybe it has to do with all his WWE games reviews where he said that the games were now just as fun as they were on the n64.

Yeah, IGN, instead of firing guys like Matt Leone and Scooter Nguyen, you should fire this guy first.

If you hired guys like mr leone, scooter or Barnholt, i'd give your site more credibility.
legacyzero
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:11 PM)
legacyzero's Avatar
I just dont understand how anybody wouldn't like the first one. Pure fun. Pure awesome.
AndrewDean84xX
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:18 PM)
I loved the first game. So much stupid fun, like Just Cause 2. I have been looking forward to this game.
XANDER CAGE
WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE
(04-23-2012, 11:19 PM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by IGN

6.0 Graphics
The city looks good, but the drawn distance isn't great, animations look old, and the kills don't seem high-def.

What does this even mean?
KorrZ
Member
(04-23-2012, 11:19 PM)
KorrZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by d0c_zaius

I just finished my playthrough and got all the collectables.

It has some pleasant moments, and I still like the gameplay (not the hell camera though).

But it feels like this game should not have been made. It does nothing new, feels very unpolished and the story elements are not very compelling at all. You are basically doing the same 4 things over and over with variety only thought of towards the end during a couple of missions.

The dialogue in particular from the main character is really awkward at times. Its like Bulletstorm but bad.

This was my fear :\. Making Prototype again with minimal improvements. It's a shame, because with some actual effort Prototype could be an AMAZING franchise. The core gameplay is there, it just needs better missions and a lot of polish.

I'll pick it up when it drops to $20 or so.

Originally Posted by ArjanN

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.

I think Prototype was much more fun at least, for sure. The gameplay really did well at making you feel like a god damn super human. inFamous had much more polish and better missions.
Last edited by KorrZ; 04-23-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Thread Tools