• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

krpiper
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:03 PM)
I first started playing a few years ago, it must of been when the battlechest came out as I remember a friend having it, but I just went and bought the vanilla copy.

But all my friends quit playing so I quit playing. I only got to level 30-40 maybe

But now its the summer time, I am looking for a game to get back into , for mostly the summer but if it bleeds into the school year then thats okay too. I have a few friends from the dorms that plan on playing.

I am currently downloading the starter edition now. But the golden question is do you think WoW is still worth playing? Even though I have a few friends, odds are I will mostly be playing solo.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!
JonCha
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:04 PM)
WoW isn't the force it once was.
Complistic
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:05 PM)
Complistic's Avatar
Guild Wars 2 is probably coming out this summer. You might want to try that first.
rocK`
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:05 PM)
rocK`'s Avatar
Playing through 80-85, questing is actually a lot of fun (not mindless kill 10 rats)
Raide
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:06 PM)
Raide's Avatar
If you only got to 30 or 40 a few year back, then you still have loads of content for you to do. It is still very focused around max level, so if you want to see everything, then you need to keep progressing towards the level cap.

It is still fun with plenty of choice and a thriving community but it all depends on if you have the time to devote to it. There are loads of F2P options out there if you just want to play something.
strafer
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:06 PM)
strafer's Avatar
It's still a great game.

1-60 is smooth sailing now, the flow is amazing.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-23-2012, 10:07 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
If you can get the free digital upgrade to the newest expansion Cataclysm, definitely.

Someone needs to try and send your Vanilla account a Scroll of Res.
Last edited by C.Dark.DN; 04-23-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Shadybiz
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:07 PM)
Shadybiz's Avatar
I still play sometimes. It is fun to me, but the cost of entry is high. If you want everything, you'll need to buy all of the expansions, so you're looking at around a couple hundred, unless there are some deals out there.
kodt
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:08 PM)
kodt's Avatar
It's pretty fun to play through and level, all the way to 85 is fun. The quests are better than they were, you can solo most of it, or just do it with a few friends. Dungeon Finder makes finding groups a breeze.

IMO the shitty part is the end game of grinding raids. Play up to 85 then quit. It is more fun with a few friends of course.
Khezu
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:08 PM)
Khezu's Avatar
Maybe, sorta.

Its a few patches into this expansion so you can get purples pretty easy, along with the new looking for raid tool, you can see the end game content well still playing super casually and solo. Or do all the old content to play dress up with transmog.

Its worth at least a month of two of game time until you get bored.
flyinpiranha
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:08 PM)
flyinpiranha's Avatar
Easily if you never got endgame and number crunching and PVP imbalances. It still is(was) my favorite game but I took it too seriously.

It's a fantastic game and you have a couple friends to play with it's easily one of the best multiplayer games out there, just turn off general chat.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-23-2012, 10:11 PM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Complistic

Guild Wars 2 is probably coming out this summer. You might want to try that first.

First Second post nails it.
Last edited by Retro; 04-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-23-2012, 10:12 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro

First Second post nails it.

Wrong. He needs to go ahead and get the free Cataclysm upgrade if he can.
Oni Link 666
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:12 PM)
Oni Link 666's Avatar
I got scrolls of resurrection if you or anyone else needs one. That gets you a free level 80 character and Cataclysm. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you one.
krpiper
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:15 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathNote

If you can get the free digital upgrade to the newest expansion Cataclysm, definitely.

Someone needs to try and send your Vanilla account a Scroll of Res.

I was looking and apparently my old wow account was banned :/ I looked in my emails and it must of gotten phished or something for "Terms of Use Violation -- Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy"

:/

I also played GW1 when I was in high school (2007ish) and I wasnt a fan, I dont think I like the instanced type of MMO very much. I couldnt get into the DnD online game either
Last edited by krpiper; 04-23-2012 at 10:17 PM.
HarryDemeanor
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:16 PM)
HarryDemeanor's Avatar
I'd say it's still worth it. I got back into it last month and I've been having fun with it just leveling up characters, gearing up, and earning achievements.

If you still have that old account around you can get all the expansions for free and a level 80 character with a scroll of resurrection.

EDIT: Welp nevermind then. Sucks that it was hacked.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-23-2012, 10:16 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

I was looking and apparently my old wow account was banned :/ I looked in my emails and it must of gotten phished or something for "Terms of Use Violation -- Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy"

:/

Contact them

http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...locked-account
Dug
Dig
(04-23-2012, 10:17 PM)
Dug's Avatar
Wow, weird timing, I just downloaded the starter pack do see what the game is like. Won't be buying any months though.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-23-2012, 10:17 PM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

Wrong. He needs to go ahead and get the free Cataclysm upgrade if he can.

A chance to play an outdated, broken ass game with $15 subscription fees and a horrible community...
or
... A brand new game with better gameplay and no subscription?

No sir, I believe you are wrong. On your honor, pistols at dawn.

Originally Posted by krpiper

I was looking and apparently my old wow account was banned

Well, that seals the deal then; an outdated, broken ass game with $15 subscription fees, a horrible community AND a compromised account?

Originally Posted by krpiper

I also played GW1 when I was in high school (2007ish) and I wasnt a fan, I dont think I like the instanced type of MMO very much. I couldnt get into the DnD online game either

Guild Wars 2 is different enough from GW1 in every way that the only real connection between them is the lore, world, and a few professions (and most of those have radically changed too). It's no longer instanced, GW2 has a persistent world. Read all about it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!
Last edited by Retro; 04-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
FieryBalrog
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:17 PM)
FieryBalrog's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

I was looking and apparently my old wow account was banned :/ I looked in my emails and it must of gotten phished or something for "Terms of Use Violation -- Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy"

:/

I also played GW1 when I was in high school (2007ish) and I wasnt a fan, I dont think I like the instanced type of MMO very much. I couldnt get into the DnD online game either

You should be able to get it unbanned.

GW2 isn't instanced like GW1. It's a more "regular" MMO in that respect, but unconventional in other respects. You should check it out.

Originally Posted by Retro

A chance to play an outdated, broken ass game with $15 subscription fees and a horrible community...

Community is as good as you make it, dude. Unless you consider trade chat trolls "the community", in which case, you're going to have a rude awakening in GW2.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-23-2012, 10:19 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro

A chance to play an outdated, broken ass game with $15 subscription fees and a horrible community...
or
... A brand new game with better gameplay and no subscription?

No sir, I believe you are wrong. On your honor, pistols at dawn.

lol. Potentially getting Cataclysm free costs nothing. You're pretty deluded.
zerokoolpsx
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:20 PM)
zerokoolpsx's Avatar
Free Cata upgrade and a free level 80 character. 7 days free as well. Also, it's free. Costs nothing for 7 days. Impossible to say no to that.
Fix The Scientist
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:23 PM)
Fix The Scientist's Avatar
I played wow for the first time a few months ago, i got to about level 50 and really enjoyed it. I never felt that "addiction" that people talk about, probably because i mostly played alone just tottering around.
VGChampion
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:24 PM)
VGChampion's Avatar
I played back in Vanilla and just resubscribed in January for a few months. It's definitely worth still playing. The community is pretty bad now but with the LFG in place you can run dungeons and raids without ever saying a word. You can go from 1-85 and see most of the content within a few months now.

It would be pretty hard to get "addicted" to it these days. All the end game stuff is currency tied to a daily / weekly cap. No keys to grind, marks of honor, items, etc... it's all number currency which sucked a lot of the fun out.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-23-2012, 10:25 PM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by FieryBalrog

Community is as good as you make it, dude. Unless you consider trade chat trolls "the community", in which case, you're going to have a rude awakening in GW2.

Was actually thinking the Forums more than anything. And looking at the community TOS for GW2, if it's enforced the trolls are going to get stomped pretty quick. That's a big "If" though. But yeah, I don't expect the GW2 community to be perfect (especially considering the unofficial forums at Guru are pretty rancid), but I have a hard time seeing anyone give the WoW forums a run for their money in terms of "Duh" levels.

Originally Posted by DeathNote

lol. Potentially getting Cataclysm free costs nothing. You're pretty deluded.

Potentially, assuming he qualifies. There's also the subscription fee, time wasted getting his hacked account fixed, $8 for an authenticator to make sure it doesn't happen again... Forgot about the free Phone authenticators, my bad.

Plus, a free turd is still a turd, man.

Originally Posted by zerokoolpsx

Costs nothing for 7 days.

Because we all know an MMO can be beaten in 7 days, right? After that, $15 a month sets in. If he plays for 4 months through the summer, that's the cost of a brand new game right there. I wonder what brand new games coming out this summer will be any good? -hinthint-
Last edited by Retro; 04-23-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Dysun
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:26 PM)
Dysun's Avatar
Not really, play Diablo 3 next month
krpiper
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathNote

Contact them

http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...locked-account

I contacted them, time to just wait I guess.

I want to experience "getting stronger" so I dont think I will be too excited about the free level 80, but I do have a few questions.

1. If I get a free version of Cata, do I/should I buy WotLK (I assume I should/need to buy the battlechest?)
2. Is there anything "pre" level 80 to the expansions or is it all post game?
The Lamonster
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:27 PM)
The Lamonster's Avatar
WoW as a game is better than ever. The players kind of suck now though because nearly everyone is an expert except for you.
Dicer
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:28 PM)
I still have fun with it, don't take it seriously at all and it's enjoyable...
Hero
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:28 PM)
Hero's Avatar
Well, it's pretty reasonable to get your free level 80 to level 85 and get carried through all the raids by guilds that have them on super-farm status within 7 days, actually.
Ferrio
real-time lotion physics
(04-23-2012, 10:29 PM)
Ferrio's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

I contacted them, time to just wait I guess.

I want to experience "getting stronger" so I dont think I will be too excited about the free level 80, but I do have a few questions.

1. If I get a free version of Cata, do I/should I buy WotLK (I assume I should/need to buy the battlechest?)
2. Is there anything "pre" level 80 to the expansions or is it all post game?


You have to have all previous expansions to take advantage of cata.
zazrx
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:29 PM)
zazrx's Avatar
If you have friends to play with sure. I've quit many times before but today I'm re-subbing to play with some irl friends for the first time. So maybe it'll be fun.
Oni Link 666
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:30 PM)
Oni Link 666's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper


1. If I get a free version of Cata, do I/should I buy WotLK (I assume I should/need to buy the battlechest?)
2. Is there anything "pre" level 80 to the expansions or is it all post game?

1. I believe you also get WOTLK for free. You can't actually level to 80 without WOTLK installed.

2. There's 3 expansions worth of content that's pre-80. There's also all of Cataclysm to play to get to 85.
Phoenixazure
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:30 PM)
Phoenixazure's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

I contacted them, time to just wait I guess.

I want to experience "getting stronger" so I dont think I will be too excited about the free level 80, but I do have a few questions.

1. If I get a free version of Cata, do I/should I buy WotLK (I assume I should/need to buy the battlechest?)
2. Is there anything "pre" level 80 to the expansions or is it all post game?

If by that u mean getting a scroll of ressurection, you will get the previous expansions included. All the 80 and post catacyclsm stuff is the 80-85 zones and endgame content along with the Goblin and Worgen Zones.

I recently got ressureccted and the game couldn't even hold my attention for 2 hours. This is my 4th attempt in the game's life time (played a lot during vanilla/burning Crusade, then dabbled a bit of Wrath), but WoW and i think most MMOs just can't hold my interest anymore. i need better feedback or maybe not have it be so dependent on the leveling grind. (Like a massive multiplayer Witcher 2 or Dark Souls). I don't know, im excited for World of Darkness and i'm keeping my eye on Secret World at least.
Meier
(04-23-2012, 10:31 PM)
Meier's Avatar
It's a very fun game with a LOT of content. I say give it a go, you'll have a great time if you like the genre.
bill0527
um, I'll be right back
(04-23-2012, 10:33 PM)
bill0527's Avatar
While I absolutely loved my time playing Wow - about 6 years off and on, I have no desire to go back.

Not sure if I recommend it to someone at this point unless you have friends to play with.

There are a lot of great games coming this summer. Diablo III, and Guild Wars 2. I would try out either or both of those to get your summer fix.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-23-2012, 10:33 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro

Potentially, assuming he qualifies. There's also the subscription fee, time wasted getting his hacked account fixed, $8 for an authenticator to make sure it doesn't happen again...

Plus, a free turd is still a turd, man.

Paying 15$ for something you like isn't a big deal. If he likes it he can make that choice. GW2 is months away and nothing is stopping him from trying that or switching to that.

$8 huh? Don't assume he doesn't have a phone that has the auth app for free just to make your argument more appealing. The free telephone authentication is an option.

Why are 10 million people playing it if it's such crap? Turning down a free copy of WOTLK and Cataclysm is stupid.
krpiper
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

WoW as a game is better than ever. The players kind of suck now though because nearly everyone is an expert except for you.

Sounds like me and any multiplayer game :/ especially BF3 :(

I saw on Blizzards website that they are offering the battlechest, WotLK and Cata for $60 when I upgrade from the starter edition. Is that a good deal? EDIT: I thought that the Scrolls just meant getting Cata for free and not everything for free

Also, what restrictions do I have on the starter game other than level 20? I plan on keeping the starter game until I go home next week after finals
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-23-2012, 10:34 PM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by zazrx

If you have friends to play with sure. I've quit many times before but today I'm re-subbing to play with some irl friends for the first time. So maybe it'll be fun.

He mentioned in the OP that all of his friends quit, so he'd be stuck with whatever comes crawling out of the LFG tool or trying to find a guild that is willing to take on newer players (OP only got to level 40) and isn't a complete suckfest.
Alextended
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:35 PM)
Alextended's Avatar
if you can start with a bunch of friends it's probably going to be some of the longest lasting fun you'll ever have together online. I'm not trying to diminish the quality of the game here, by implying it's only the friends that make it good or something, I've played tons of online games with the same group (never did stick with another MMO however), but WoW has all the right things to keep you all coming back and helping and laughing at each other as you slowly get deeper into it, from the exploration and the open world quests to the first instances, to learning the game inside out and doing the hardcore stuff, to PvP (never liked it) and Raiding (not as good as instances you do with a tight group but cool in their own way)...

Edit: ah, you mean to get back into it. The same applies I think, friends (the same as before, or others) or bust. I played it on and off after the other guys quit or otherwise drifted apart in game (separate guilds that moved servers etc) during my army service but it just wasn't the same even though the tools they had added by that time made it easy to find groups and such.
Last edited by Alextended; 04-23-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-23-2012, 10:37 PM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

$8 huh? Don't assume he doesn't have a phone that has the auth app for free just to make your argument more appealing. The free telephone authentication is an option.

Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that, I'll strike it from my post.

Originally Posted by DeathNote

Why are 10 million people playing it if it's such crap? Turning down a free copy of WOTLK and Cataclysm is stupid.

Why do Justin Beiber videos get millions of views?
Why does Transformers gross billions of dollars?
Why does Angry Birds outsell everything else?

Because lots of people have terrible taste.

Just because lots of people like something doesn't make it good.
HarryDemeanor
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:37 PM)
HarryDemeanor's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

Also, what restrictions do I have on the starter game other than level 20? I plan on keeping the starter game until I go home next week after finals

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-starter-edition-account-faq#q2

Originally Posted by World of Warcraft Starter Edition FAQ

Restrictions on Starter Edition Accounts

  • A level cap of 20
  • A maximum of 10 gold
  • Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks
  • Unable to trade via the Auction House, mailbox, or player-to-player
  • In-game access to public chat channels unavailable; players are limited to communicating using only say, party, or whisper
  • Characters will be unable to create or join guilds
  • Characters are not able to send whispers to other characters unless they have been added to the characters' friends' lists or have received a whisper from a character first
  • Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party
  • Characters will be unable to disable experience gains
  • Voice chat is disabled on Starter Edition accounts
  • Realms experiencing login queues will prioritize players who have full, paid accounts
  • Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for character transfers
  • RealID features are disabled on all Starter Edition Accounts

Mechanized
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:38 PM)
Mechanized's Avatar

Originally Posted by krpiper

I first started playing a few years ago, it must of been when the battlechest came out as I remember a friend having it, but I just went and bought the vanilla copy.

But all my friends quit playing so I quit playing. I only got to level 30-40 maybe

But now its the summer time, I am looking for a game to get back into , for mostly the summer but if it bleeds into the school year then thats okay too. I have a few friends from the dorms that plan on playing.

I am currently downloading the starter edition now. But the golden question is do you think WoW is still worth playing? Even though I have a few friends, odds are I will mostly be playing solo.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

WoW is still a great game, and all the refinements they've made over the years has only made it better. I think it's worth it especially since they redid all the old content, so it would be pretty fresh for you.
Alextended
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:39 PM)
Alextended's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro

Just because lots of people like something doesn't make it good.

Just because you dislike something doesn't make it bad.

How about just leaving it at you not liking WoW instead of trying to force your opinion as the superior and only valid one?
sazzy
pronounced "sassy"
(04-23-2012, 10:43 PM)
sazzy's Avatar
Yes. Its still incredibly fun.
mysocksarepink
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:43 PM)
mysocksarepink's Avatar
It's worth getting into now more than ever. The new 1-60 is incredible now that they've redone it. Before it was such a boring grind that left you searching for quests to do... now it feels like a game made in 2012

If I were you I'd get my ass to level 85 so you can be ready to play when pandaland releases.

I would also roll on a high populated server so you always have people to group with while leveling up.

If you intend on rolling horde, I'd choose Mal'Ganis. There are tons of horde there... and I am too :) if you end up rolling there, need any help with quests or gold.. message me here and ill give you my character names!
Perfect Cha0s
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:43 PM)
Perfect Cha0s's Avatar

Originally Posted by FieryBalrog

Community is as good as you make it, dude. Unless you consider trade chat trolls "the community", in which case, you're going to have a rude awakening in GW2.

GW2 will probably be a great deal more tame, though.

That was actually one of the best parts of SWTOR: the community seemed genuinely nice and likeable, for the most part.
RPGCrazied
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:45 PM)
RPGCrazied's Avatar
After 5 years, I'm slowly losing interest. Still want to play Mists of Pandaria though. They really should update some of the game though, most of the player models look pretty awful for instance.
Sykotik
Member
(04-23-2012, 10:45 PM)
Sykotik's Avatar
In my opinion, I'd say no. The game isn't what is once was. I've leveled many characters to max, and in my experience, the game feels empty now. It's a rarity for me to find other players in the over world, let alone ones that are social, and even more so in the expansion pack areas. The main reason being is they introduced flying mounts, which seemed awesome at first, but I realize now that it is the glaring reason why it feels so empty. Apart from that, there is little to no reason to leave the main cities anyway, apart from leveling- and that adds to the emptiness.

I suppose it's all subjective, though.
Hamplin
Banned
(04-23-2012, 10:45 PM)
It stopped being worth it when they removed 40-man instances.

Thread Tools