• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo Shorts. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cQy7P.jpg

Those look like women's tennis shorts...

Hoo-doo

Banned
I like my cargo shorts. I do not give even the tiniest fuck about nerds who think I'm not fashion-forward.

And honestly, with PAX East still fresh in my mind, I feel pretty fucking good about what little fashion sense I have, at least in that crowd. I love my people but nerds arguing over this stuff... it's petty.

Eh, I don't think it's the typical "nerd" crowd who dislikes cargo shorts. Quite the opposite.

Well, I'm married and have a wonderful career so I'm not overly concerned with how I dress. Glad to know it keeps you up at night though. That must be sad.
I don't understand this attitude, don't you want to look good for your wife? I'm not gonna frump out just because I'm married and have a kid.

problem with cargo shorts is:

1. usually fit (or worn) baggy and/or shitty
2. usually made out of shit material
3. gaudy patterns (plaid or some shit)

avoid 2 of these and they aren't bad. but regular simple shorts are probably better 99.9% of the time.

and those suit shorts are dumb so dunno what you are all talking about re: 'fashion gaf'

5amshift

Banned
Cargo shorts just look bulky and unnecessary unless you're carrying tons of things in your extra pockets. Go with chino shorts. Stylish and they look much better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cargo shorts just look bulky and unnecessary unless you're carrying tons of things in your extra pockets. Go with chino shorts. Stylish and they look much better.

Except that with those shorts I feel like I need to be wearing a dress shirt or tucked in polo. I can't see them looking good with a normal graphic T shirt or just a plain hoodie. Maybe I just haven't found the right kind though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Except that with those shorts I feel like I need to be wearing a dress shirt or tucked in polo. I can't see them looking good with a normal graphic T shirt or just a plain hoodie. Maybe I just haven't found the right kind though.

Maybe then you ditch the graphic T and wear a nice button-up shirt instead.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe then you ditch the graphic T and wear a nice button-up shirt instead.

I refuse to wear a button up shirt when I'm out and about on the weekend. Talk about uncomfortable. I don't even wear them to work, I wear polos with dress pants.

Don't get me wrong, the graphic t's I wear aren't ugly ones. Just your basic stuff.

What I hate about cargo shorts is there is no need for all that extra flap material or a big billowy pocket, that always gets wrinkled in the wash and never lays right again. I can't stand to have items knocking against my knees with every step, either. But a slim slit pocket on the thigh is a great addition to shorts.

I refuse to wear a button up shirt when I'm out and about on the weekend. Talk about uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, the graphic t's I wear aren't ugly ones. Just your basic stuff.
I don't see why you couldn't wear, well, just about anything with simple dark blue/grey/etc chino shorts. If anything it would slightly 'elevate' a hoodie and print tee out of the standard "college dude" style.

They're a bit "man-child". You either see a group of lads wearing them, with bottles of bud in the pockets lighting the disposable barbecue, or father and son dressed in matching pairs.

I like how one guy goes in the fashion thread, takes a pic from it and comes here to laugh about it and never actually read what was said about it. Good Job moron.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't see why you couldn't wear, well, just about anything with simple dark blue/grey/etc chino shorts. If anything it would slightly 'elevate' a hoodie and print tee out of the standard "college dude" style.

Yeah, I'm so used to cargo shorts though that it looks completely bad (IMO) on me when I try non-cargos on. Actually tried some on last weekend and just couldn't get over how weird it looked on me in the mirror.

Some of the shots in this thread look decent, but once I put them on it just looks odd.

FStop7

Banned
Well GAF, what say you? Everytime cargo shorts are brought up, all the haters appear and dismiss them. What other shorts am I supposed to wear on a hot summer day? Basketball shorts? What if I actually need to have pocket space? Khaki shorts? Do I work for UPS now? Don't even get me started on jean shorts.

Cargo shorts are the superior shorts and and I don't understand all the hate.

Insecure post-teenGAF mostly.

Angry Fork

if only there existed another category of shorts. hopefully someone addresses this sooner than later.

I don't know other categories, honestly that's why I'm asking. This thread is the first I've heard of 'chino' shorts. I've seen them before but I didn't know the name of it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I also dont understand the 'but I'm fat' excuse. I'm not but I'd rather be a well dressed fat guy than some jort wearing slob. Fashion gaf where can I buy the shorts in the manshion thread?

entremet

Clothing is a personal thing. That I would never wear cargo shorts. Slim fit cargo pants are fine and have been pretty popular of late amongst the fashion forward set.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't understand this attitude, don't you want to look good for your wife? I'm not gonna frump out just because I'm married and have a kid.

problem with cargo shorts is:

1. usually fit (or worn) baggy and/or shitty
2. usually made out of shit material
3. gaudy patterns (plaid or some shit)

avoid 2 of these and they aren't bad. but regular simple shorts are probably better 99.9% of the time.

and those suit shorts are dumb so dunno what you are all talking about re: 'fashion gaf'

Meh I hardly say I'm frumping it just cause I'm wearing cargos. Granted I don't own some crazy pair like in the Bieber pic. Mine are all just like khaki/grey/darker blue without any goofy camo or something. As someone who has a fair share of regular khaki shorts too I wouldn't say they elevate my look any more over my cargos.

Plus nobody looks good down in the deep south in the summer unless it's at night and you just showered. It's hot a fuck for like 4-5 months anyways, and everyone looks like it too. Your goal is to just make sure your shirt isn't too sticky since it gets humid as a mofo and fucks up any thing your wearing clothes wise.

PS: Also a reason I don't have a ton of pairs of jeans and haven't spent a lot of money on jeans. Just can't do it when I can only wear them for 6 months out of the year.

Meh I hardly say I'm frumping it just cause I'm wearing cargos. Granted I don't own some crazy pair like in the Bieber pic. Mine are all just like khaki/grey/darker blue without any goofy camo or something. As someone who has a fair share of regular khaki shorts too I wouldn't say they elevate my look any more over my cargos.
I wasn't really talking about cargo shorts specifically, just the general attitude of "I'm married so I don't care anymore". Then again I've never really dressed with the primary intention of attracting other people.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Khaki or tan cargo shorts are fine as long as the pockets arent puffy or overstated.

Short shorts that show half the thigh and patterned plaid shorts are a much bigger problem and make you look a whole lot sillier than a pair of khaki shorts with a pocket on the side.

PS: Also a reason I don't have a ton of pairs of jeans and haven't spent a lot of money on jeans. Just can't do it when I can only wear them for 6 months out of the year.

Six months is a lot of time to wear a certain kind of clothes. We had a pretty mild winter in Maryland this year, but that doesn't mean the 3 times it snowed I wasn't glad to own a winter coat.

I only wear cargo shorts/pants now. Fuck denim. The extra pockets are awesome. You can sneak food into the theater easy and can carry lots of stuff on an outing (camera, cell-phone, keys, wallet, change, papers like tickets and brochures and stuff), without having to cram it all into two pockets and risk getting stabbed in the groin by something when you sit down.

Sadly, I have to wear dress pants to work.

Some of these shorts being suggested as an alternative to cargo's are pretty bleh. Just wear what you want, other peoples opinions be damned. Comfort, utility, and wearing something YOU think you look good in>>>stylish clothes as defined by others.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Six months is a lot of time to wear a certain kind of clothes. We had a pretty mild winter in Maryland this year, but that doesn't mean the 3 times it snowed I wasn't glad to own a winter coat.

Oh I have some jeans, but I'm just not going to spend a ton of money on them. I usually buy my jeans at Banana Republic so I don't buy totally cheap ones. I'm just not spending over $100 on some because it's hot as funk a large part of the year here. Plus I wear Khaki pants every day anyways because that's what I wear to work. :p

bill0527

I love cargo shorts and that's about all I wear in the summer.

But I'm also a 37 year old dad who has to pack a lot of shit around so I wear them out of necessity more than anything. Need pockets for pacifiers, and trinkets, and little toys, plus all of my gadgets.

dabig2

I like cargo shorts. They're convenient at times. It's not like they're some outlandish apparel either, so forgive me if I scoff at anal, neurotic GAF here a bit.

No one needs to justify or qualify what they wear. Well there are some exceptions here and there...

I agree with the guy that said hating on cargo shorts are like hating on baseball hats and t-shirts. So inoffensive.

Also, fashion GAF is a terrifying sight to behold once they get started.

I find cargo shorts to be comfy. I tried wearing shorts from the previous pics in the thread but my thighs are too big. They will fit my waist but I look dumb as hell wearing something so tight.

FStop7

Banned
I love cargo shorts and that's about all I wear in the summer.

But I'm also a 37 year old dad who has to pack a lot of shit around so I wear them out of necessity more than anything. Need pockets for pacifiers, and trinkets, and little toys, plus all of my gadgets.

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. Most of my warm weather days are spent in the field with pockets full of things like lens caps, filters, memory cards, and other small objects. I don't like photo vests so I wear cargo shorts. I also like wearing them on weekends when I'm going to the store or out to do something casual. But if I'm going anywhere remotely nice I'm not gonna wear cargo shorts. I guess that makes me a bad person that I do like them, though. :(

Gustav

Banned
Okay, now let's get some real talk in here. Whoever judges people for wearing cargo shorts (or any type of plain/non fashionable clothes) is a full on moron and should reconsider his lifestyle.

Alucrid

Banned
Okay, now let's get some real talk in here. Whoever judges people for wearing cargo shorts (or any type of plain/non fashionable clothes) is a full on moron and should reconsider his lifestyle.
Indeed, listen to this man who has never judged another.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I hate shorts in general. When I go to the store to buy some I get so frustrated because I don't think anything really looks good. Right now I have like 5 pairs of shorts 3 of which are athletic and I've barely worn shorts even in the recent spring heat. Pants are hot, but they look way better, IMO.

Jobiensis

I hate the fact that all the shorts I find are so long. I work hard for my quads, I am not a fat ass that need to wear shorts down to me knees. Usually cargos are the less of all evils. I am not a 'manshion' type person, I get my clothes from such great retailers as Ross, Target and CostCo, so perhaps that limits what I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom