• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

JumpingTheGun
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:20 PM)
Back when I was 10 or 11, I discovered this arcade game at some random theme park in Texas. I was hooked immediatley. What's essentially 4 player Contra out in the wild west, I had to result in buying the inferior Genesis port when it finally arrived to 16 bit consoles. While I loved it, the far superior SNES version (which is basically a direct port of the arcade) ran massive circles around it. Levels in the Genesis version were omitted, as well as two other playable characters. Although I'm not sure if SR on SNES able to be played with 4 people via the super multitap, it certainly was the preferred choice against its counterpart.

Where's the GAF love for this 90s arcade classic?

We also need an HD port with optional online jump in/jump out co-op. Stat.

Last edited by JumpingTheGun; 04-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Alextended
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:22 PM)
I didn't like it in the arcades because of the low frame rate/speed (iirc).

Edit: watching some videos there are no such issues. Could it have been a dodgy/bootleg version I had played on?

But for games with similar themes I got super into Blood Bros.
Last edited by Alextended; 04-24-2012 at 06:27 PM.
corporate cheerleader
(04-24-2012, 06:23 PM)
Badass game with badass music, a true classic.
LiK
(04-24-2012, 06:24 PM)
They were gonna release this as one of the last games for XBLA Game Room but changed their minds. Stupid Konami.
Emitan
(04-24-2012, 06:25 PM)
Cornmano > Billy > the rest

But Billy has the cooler name :)
corporate cheerleader
(04-24-2012, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Billychu

But Billy has the cooler name :)

Haha.

But yeah, waiting for Wayforward to remake this.
JumpingTheGun
Banned

Originally Posted by LiK

They were gonna release this as one of the last games for XBLA Game Room but changed their minds. Stupid Konami.

Fuck seriously? Damn...
BiggNife
Sunset Riders is wonderful. The first level music is absolutely fantastic.

Also I am disappointed that no one has posted this yet: http://burymewithmymoney.com/
ReaperXL7
(04-24-2012, 06:27 PM)
Fantastic, I wasted so many hours on this game with a buddy of mine back in the day. It's such a shame that westerns never really took off in gaming, so many possibilities for the setting.

Game had some of the best music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3O4OdgV7sA

I don't think this is available on any of the downloadable services is it? If not i'm going to have to dig out my genesis I think.

*Edit: nevermind saw Liks post, Sad :(
LiK

Originally Posted by JumpingTheGun

Fuck seriously? Damn...

My MS points were ready and BAM, it never came out.
TheYanger
SNES was only 2 player as well, it was still not the port we all wanted, but it was good enough. When I first found out that the Gen one only had 2 characters though I was flabbergasted, how can you NOT want to be Cormano Wild?
sixteen-bit

Originally Posted by General Shank-a-snatch

Haha.

But yeah, waiting for Wayforward to remake this.

:(
Hiltz
Sunset Riders was a really fun game but I don't recall ever beating it.
djplaeskool
(04-24-2012, 06:28 PM)
Bury me...with my money.
Nihilistic Monk
(04-24-2012, 06:28 PM)
Played the hell out of this when I was a kid. One of my favourite arcade games of all time.

"Marry me with my money"

Is it available on any compilations for consoles or download services? I know it was coming to game room but never arrived...
MNC
(04-24-2012, 06:29 PM)
I have never completed this game. I got as far as to the last level, but I cannot for the life of it beat this. I hate side scrolling 'beat m up's that dont have saves. :(

Cormano is the bloody best.

This was like, SNES's Red Dead Redemption. The music is so great.
Last edited by MNC; 04-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Blizzard
I played this for the first time this year I think. I played it on an SNES with a friend, and we like used the easiest settings, and it was STILL too difficult. I wish there were an option to continue from a certain point instead of having to replay the whole game.

*edit* Haha MNC feels the same way.
JumpingTheGun
Banned
I loved the music in Richard Rose's level. Excellent stuff.

Having only played and beaten the Genesis version, Cormano was my fav at first, but soon I learned the advantage of Billy's double shot pistols with the one gun shooting at that 35 degree angle.
Loofy
(04-24-2012, 06:30 PM)
Loved that game, havent played the sequel though...
http://youtu.be/TI32w3WDvHU
corporate cheerleader
(04-24-2012, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by _dementia

:(

Hey, even if the game sucks, virt always makes good music. :)
Alextended
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Loofy

Loved that game, havent played the sequel though...
http://youtu.be/TI32w3WDvHU

I've played that, lol, I didn't know they're related. I can't remember shit about it. just the graphics & stupid power ups.
Last edited by Alextended; 04-24-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Lettuce
(04-24-2012, 06:32 PM)

Originally Posted by BiggNife

Also I am disappointed that no one has posted this yet: http://burymewithmymoney.com/

So it wasnt just the SNES version that sound like he said...."Marry me with my money!"???
Santiako
I liked Cowboys of Moo Mesa more.
BadWolf
Loved this game, played it at the arcades first and then had it for Mega Drive. Me and my brother replayed it endlessly.
Enhasa
(04-24-2012, 06:33 PM)
I remember Sunset Riders being pretty difficult and unforgiving, but I may have been a wimp as a child.
ReaperXL7
(04-24-2012, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by TheYanger

SNES was only 2 player as well, it was still not the port we all wanted, but it was good enough. When I first found out that the Gen one only had 2 characters though I was flabbergasted, how can you NOT want to be Cormano Wild?

I agree about only having the two, but honestly I was ok with that when the visuals, music, and overall feel of the game was better on Genesis, atleast for me. Urge to hook my genesis is growing alot lately, but I have so many other things I need to play first. :(

Times like this, a game room would be fantastic.
JumpingTheGun
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Enhasa

I remember Sunset Riders being pretty difficult and unforgiving, but I may have been a wimp as a child.

Nah you are correct.
PepsimanVsJoe
(04-24-2012, 06:37 PM)
Sunset Riders is not just a good game, it's also startlingly respectful to Westerns.
It's obvious the designers behind this game were huge fans of the genre.

Even the more unrealistic elements like gunning down several guys in a row without any of them so much as getting a shot out works. Since that's pretty much exactly how it happens in the movies.
Gooster
(04-24-2012, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Damn. I was going to say an HD update to this (2D, not Re-Shelled style) would get a buy from me. I honestly wanted this on XBL/PSN before X-Men and The Simpsons.

Edit: Revolver Ocelot as a hidden playable character!
Last edited by Gooster; 04-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.
MrOogieBoogie
BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
(04-24-2012, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Enhasa

Yup. Game was hard as shit.

Great art and music, though.
Htown
Banned
Best intro in gaming history
DCharlie
Always bet on white

Where's the GAF love for this 90s arcade classic?

:)

I own the arcade board - it's a great great game.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-24-2012, 06:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Billychu

Fuck yeah :D

Originally Posted by LiK

Fuck no D:

But yeah, Cormano all day. Dude dressed in pink with a sombrero, he KNEW he was a badass. Hiding dual shotguns underneath that warm awesome blanket.

What a fuckin' boss
Shadow Hog
(04-24-2012, 06:41 PM)
Never played it, but it has some really nice music.

IIRC, wasn't the SNES version a faithful-ish port of the arcade game, while the Genesis version was kind of its own thing? At least, that was the impression I was under.
robot
(04-24-2012, 06:43 PM)
I own the arcade PCB! One of my favorite 4 player games (too bad I only have a 2 player cabinet). Carmano wears El Greco's sombrero after he kills him (iirc).

The huge ass Sunset Riders movie screen in Mystic Warriors always reminds you which is the better game. Nobody seems to talk about poor ol' Mystic Warriors.
Red Blaster
downloading Angry Birds
(04-24-2012, 06:44 PM)
One of the best arcade games ever
JumpingTheGun
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Shadow Hog

IIRC, wasn't the SNES version a faithful-ish port of the arcade game, while the Genesis version was kind of its own thing? At least, that was the impression I was under.

The Genesis version was about half as long, had about half the bosses (or less), sub par graphics compared to the SNES and only two playable characters instead of four. Music and gameplay was still great though.
PepsimanVsJoe
(04-24-2012, 06:45 PM)
There was also Mystic Warriors, which was basically Sunset Riders with Ninjas.

Obligatory video of somebody kicking ass at it.
Last edited by PepsimanVsJoe; 04-24-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Alextended
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:47 PM)
I've played that too! So many games I've forgotten about until they hit me in the face it seems...

Pretty neat that it advertises Sunset Riders in the drive in.
Last edited by Alextended; 04-24-2012 at 06:49 PM.
MNC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdjws7lj3NQ

Found a pretty neat remix. Man, I'm totally gonna give this game a try again.
JumpingTheGun
Banned

Originally Posted by MNC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdjws7lj3NQ

Found a pretty neat remix. Man, I'm totally gonna give this game a try again.

Do it!
Blizzard
(04-24-2012, 06:48 PM)
My favorite game like this is Turtles in Time, but I can almost actually beat that.

Has anyone here played Bad Dudes? It was an arcade game that never went to SNES as far as I know.
DTJAAAAM
(04-24-2012, 06:48 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

I was so excited since I'd just started getting hooked on Game Room. Freakin' Konami...
vixlar
(04-24-2012, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by BiggNife

Now we need one with "Starbase, where no turtle has gone before"
GANGSTERKILLER
(04-24-2012, 06:50 PM)
Wow, i was surpriced to see this thread! Sunset Riders (SNES version) is my favorite Western game of all time! I regret selling this game when i was a kid.

I want it back! But the prices on eBay are crazy! 0_o http://www.ebay.nl/sch/i.html?_nkw=s....c0.m270.l1313
Last edited by GANGSTERKILLER; 04-24-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Ocaso
(04-24-2012, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Shadow Hog

I played them both many, many years ago, but I believe you're right. Though ostensibly still a port, I think there are enough differences in the Genesis version that a fan of the arcade might want to give it a playthrough as well. Sure, it was inferior to the SNES and arcade versions, but it was still a good game in and of itself.
VariantX
(04-24-2012, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

no wonder Game Room failed. I was waiting for stuff like this to show up and it never came. Cant even think of any games on Game Room that even came from the 90's.
Host Samurai
(04-24-2012, 06:52 PM)
Great game. Loved it on the SNES back in the day and would love Konami to throw this on XBLA in a bundle with Crime Fighters 1 & 2.
robot

Originally Posted by Blizzard

My favorite game like this is Turtles in Time, but I can almost actually beat that.

Has anyone here played Bad Dudes? It was an arcade game that never went to SNES as far as I know.

Bad Dudes was awesome - there was a port for NES which was decent. You can also get it on the Data East Arcade Collection for pretty cheap.
JumpingTheGun
Banned
Holy hell, a new SNES copy on Ebay goes for 500 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Yeah I'd take a used one...