• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit 48fps first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJS

I watched it yesterday, the 48fps seems fine in certain scenes.

In others it seemed similar to getting video desync on an underpowered PC whilst watching a HD video, the audio would be fine yet the video would look like it had stuttered or slowed and then sped up to catch up, giving that fast forward effect.

pj

Banned
I watched it yesterday, the 48fps seems fine in certain scenes.

In others it seemed similar to getting video desync on an underpowered PC whilst watching a HD video, the audio would be fine yet the video would look like it had stuttered or slowed and then sped up to catch up, giving that fast forward effect.

Yeah that's exactly what I noticed. The projectors are run by PCs, so it could actually be happening that way.

Wonko_C

I'm having a hard time understanding this, really.

I don't understand how simply seeing more of a set makes it look cheaper. How does seeing twice as many still images of a set in a second make it look cheaper than it would with only half as many frames? The frames themselves don't have a clearer image.

Yeah, totally baffling. Especially since there were a lot of scenes where the camera was stationary and 24fps wouldn't make any difference, even scenes with slow movements or characters just talking didn't look that different from a 24fps movie, it kinda made me look forward to the action scenes because the more fluid motion really shined through in those parts.

Suairyu

Banned
This is an argument that makes sense against the higher framerate. I experienced something similar recently with the Aliens Blu ray, the clean image and higher resolution made the film look like absolute garbage, such incredibly bad props and sets, like a cheap TV show. Of course it would have looked like this in the cinema in 1986 too, but for many years the film's bad quality visuals were hidden to me behind lower resolution and interlacing etc.
Cameron's insistence to raise the brightness and change the colour timing to blue on all his film-releases is the blame for that, not the added resolution.

It's funny because in the making of documentary he talks about firing the first lighting director for making too much of the set visible.

In terms of colour-timing meddling in home video releases, he's worse than George Lucas.

Anaslex

Banned
I saw it last night in a regal 3D HFR "RPX" theater in times square. They used the dolby atmos logo but I haven't found anything that says it's an atmos theater.

Whatever the sound technology was, it was definitely something different. During the scene with the snoring dwarves, the snores sounded like they were coming from a point a few feet away rather than a speaker 50' away. If tickets weren't $20 each, I would want to see more movies in that theater.

As for HFR, I think every 3D movie should use it. 24 fps 3D always felt like the first iteration of a technology that wasn't quite where it needed to be. 48 fps allows the technology to get out of your way once you get used to the look of it.

One weird thing I noticed though was that the very beginning with old bilbo looked sped up. It seemed too extreme to attribute to being unfamiliar with the framerate because it really looked like he was walking too fast and moving around too fast. Also, for most of the movie, the first half second of almost every shot it felt like things were moving too fast. Almost like a when a video player gets behind and has to catch up. The second thing was more subtle, but I noticed it a ton.

I don't agree with claims that it made the movie look cheap. The only times it looked cheap was during bad CG, which probably looks just as cheap in 24fps. I was looking for flaws in sets and makeup and I didn't really notice any at all.

You are very lucky to see the movie in the latest dolby atmos sound system and HFR. The atmos has a lot of additional speakers including ones on the ceiling, to create a 3d sound.

Slurmer

Banned
One weird thing I noticed though was that the very beginning with old bilbo looked sped up. It seemed too extreme to attribute to being unfamiliar with the framerate because it really looked like he was walking too fast and moving around too fast. Also, for most of the movie, the first half second of almost every shot it felt like things were moving too fast. Almost like a when a video player gets behind and has to catch up. The second thing was more subtle, but I noticed it a ton..

It looked like that in the 2d version as well.

colt45joe

Banned
Yeah, totally baffling. Especially since there were a lot of scenes where the camera was stationary and 24fps wouldn't make any difference, even scenes with slow movements or characters just talking didn't look that different from a 24fps movie, it kinda made me look forward to the action scenes because the more fluid motion really shined through in those parts.

i think it has something to do with the lighting, and how 3d + HFR add more detail, and our brains knowing its fake, and so it all just looks fake/cheap/odd

n0b

I saw the 2d version and almost every visual complaint I've seen was present; to me it seems like they just made some very odd production choices.

I saw the 2d version and almost every visual complaint I've seen was present; to me it seems like they just made some very odd production choices.

I still need to see the 2D version, but any issues I had with the HFR version were present in the regular 3D version as well. Some things, such as the opening shots, looked sped up in both versions.

D.Lo

Cameron's insistence to raise the brightness and change the colour timing to blue on all his film-releases is the blame for that, not the added resolution.

It's funny because in the making of documentary he talks about firing the first lighting director for making too much of the set visible.

In terms of colour-timing meddling in home video releases, he's worse than George Lucas.
Ah, that could really explain it, thanks. The result is really, really bad.

J2 Cool

I'm personally for dropping 3D and 48, sticking with 24. Of course for blockbusters (which run cinema anyway) there's probably no going back but I dislike it a lot. I think it'll almost be like a different thing entirely, the summer and winter blockbusters. The rest of cinema, and probably most purists, will stay with 24fps and 2d. GAF seems won over, but then GAF's very in love with technology.

Shirokun

I hate how cheap it looks, but hope it's just growing pains of new technology.

Here's the thing that I've been considering though: Does it look cheap because that "video" look tends to be reserved for cheaper productions and that's the clear association we make, or does it actually look bad?

Cinema has largely been 24 fps for like 70 years, and it's hard to break that association. The HFR seemed very foreign to me for such a high budget film, but it looked absolutely stunning, and several things were more exciting( battle scenes).

I still feel like it may take a few more films before it feels "normal" but I can't objectively say that it looks cheap.

On Sunday, I went to the closest theater near me that had a 48fps showing. Over 100 miles each way; two hours each time.

It was completely worth it. Adapted to the higher framerate almost immediately. Didn't find it jarring; actually seemed to make the 3D more natural to me.

Unlike others, I didn't notice any problems with the seams of CG and live action relative to other contemporary releases. Didn't find the costumes or sets to look more fake either.

Overall, I loved it.

Cinema has largely been 24 fps for like 70 years, and it's hard to break that association. The HFR seemed very foreign to me for such a high budget film, but it looked absolutely stunning, and several things were more exciting( battle scenes).

I still feel like it may take a few more films before it feels "normal" but I can't objectively say that it looks cheap.

Once you break that association, it's pure enjoyment. I found the
goblin battle scene
lent to the higher framerate especially well.

The rest of cinema, and probably most purists, will stay with 24fps and 2d. GAF seems won over, but then GAF's very in love with technology.

Virtually all recording is going to go digital; you can't deny that. Why should directors be so shortsighted and not take advantage of the advances in technology? Yeah, GAF's in love with tech, but can't it be more than that? Why does cinema and the term "purist" have to be wedded to 2D 24fps?

On Sunday, I went to the closest theater near me that had a 48fps showing. Over 100 miles each way; two hours each time.

It was completely worth it. Adapted to the higher framerate almost immediately. Didn't find it jarring; actually seemed to make the 3D more natural to me.

Unlike others, I didn't notice any problems with the seams of CG and live action relative to other contemporary releases. Didn't find the costumes or sets to look more fake either.

Overall, I loved it.

This. I honestly don't know what movie the haters saw. The whole thing looked phenomenal in 48fps 3d. No sped up motion, cheap sets, or bad makeup. I was transfixed.

Brinbe

Saw it last night and once I adjusted (which didn't take very long) I absolutely loved it. I normally hate 3D but it really worked well here. Totally worth it for the amazing visuals.

J2 Cool

Virtually all recording is going to go digital; you can't deny that. Why should directors be so shortsighted and not take advantage of the advances in technology? Yeah, GAF's in love with tech, but can't it be more than that? Why does cinema and the term "purist" have to be wedded to 2D 24fps?

The technology could have changed at any point. Everyone speaks of how arbitrary 24fps as a choice was, but it was a conscious choice to keep it the standard when filmmakers were capable of changing. If anything, complaints about 3D is the reason it's appearing now. The "purists" have hardly adopted 3D so I don't see why they would want to adopt 48fps now. It looks worse imo, I think the tech takes more off the table than its putting on.

Edmond Dantès;37252310 said:
Pretty significant news regarding The Hobbit and the future of film in general, so a separate thread seems appropriate.

Impressions so far:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/24/cinemacon-2012-the-hobbit-underwhelms-at-48-frames-per-secon/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55212

https://twitter.com/#!/wellshwood

http://movies.about.com/b/2012/04/24/hobbit-footage-screened.htm

====================================================================================================================================

48fps examples - Credit goes to bluerei for the amazing footage.

Video Files
GIF of 24fps
GIF of 48fps

izagLsWsq5uB7.jpg

id much rather people stick with 24fps for film and 48-60fps for games/cgi content

the reverse always looks bad.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I definitely prefer 24fps to HFR. HFR looks like if your turn on the Digital Noise Reduction filter on your HDTV. It looks sharp and movement is fluid, but it looks unnatural and plastic at the same time.

Loxley

I think this makes five threads about the HFR and the Hobbit, what say we consolidate? This thread is from earlier in the year anyway.

nomis

I definitely prefer 24fps to HFR. HFR looks like if your turn on the Digital Noise Reduction filter on your HDTV. It looks sharp and movement is fluid, but it looks unnatural and plastic at the same time.

This is the most strained of all the strained descriptions of 48fps I've seen.

No, HFR doesn't look like DNR.
No, HFR doesn't look like 120hz motion smoothing.
No, HFR doesn't make things move faster.
Yes, HFR looks like HFR.

Also, that article that said being comfortable with 48fps wasn't a "learned behavior" was a bunch of bullshit. Maybe they'd care to explain why myself and the five friends I went to The Hobbit with all enjoy playing games at 60fps, and were able to acclimatize to HFR within the first scene of the movie. "Uncanny Valley" of motion, my ass.

Theonik

Having seen the movie in 48fps 3D and 24fps 2D I must say the difference is quite huge. Only nag with the former presentation was with the 3D itself which is still a pointless gimmick in my opinion. If possible I'd like to see all my films in 48fps from now on.
Will I be able to experience HFR when this hits bluray, or is this theater only?
In all likelihood 48fps will be theatre only as no announcement to the contrary has been made and there is no way to get 48fps out of disks right now. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a 48fps disk release coming in the next 2-4 years though.

In all likelihood 48fps will be theatre only as no announcement to the contrary has been made and there is no way to get 48fps out of disks right now. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a 48fps disk release coming in the next 2-4 years though.

Highly unlikely on blu-ray if you ask me. Even if it happened, not only your blu-ray player would need upgrading, but your current TV likely doesn't support 48fps.

Edit: Hmm, thinking about it again, with current HDMI 1.4a bandwith, you could theoritically do 1080p 48fps in 2D, right?

I would think movie studios might want to keep the feature until the next home video format (4K+) to drive demand.

Theonik

Highly unlikely on blu-ray if you ask me. Even if it happened, not only your blu-ray player would need upgrading, but your current TV likely doesn't support 48fps.

Edit: Hmm, thinking about it again, with current HDMI 1.4a bandwith, you could theoritically do 1080p 48fps in 2D, right?

I would think movie studios might want to keep the feature until the next home video format (4K+) to drive demand.
That's why I said in 2-4 years. They could do it in a revised BD spec as the tech becomes more important especially since they'll need one for 4K BDs. TVs would also have to catch up though so you will possibly have a situation much like 3DBDs were at the start. As of now though we can only speculate however and they may very well just keep HFR as an incentive to visit the theatres for a while.
Edit: There is also HDMI 1.4b in the horizon.

MrKaepora

My impression. 48fps made the 3D work for me. It's incredible!

Loved it.

That was also my impression, the 48fps make the 3D on this movie shine and seem different from anything else made until now. I really enjoyed the movie on this format and I'm not fond of 3D movies, with the exception of maybe MIB 3 and Avatar.

Xun

My views on HFR from seeing it last night:

So I just got back from it, and I did find it impressive.

I still personally prefer 24fps though, but I do think it could potentially serve well for certain movies. I will say however that I don't think 48fps is good enough just yet for HFR, but it is an interesting step for the film industry.

The price of the ticket was ridiculous though, and what they're charging for it is an absolute ripoff.
It very much felt like a theatre production, but I'm not entirely sure if it works best for all types of films.

I still maintain that 48fps isn't enough for the kind of look they wish to go for, and I do believe HFR should be standardised soon, but certainly not forced on people.

I feel I have to see the film in 24fps to fully dissect it.

Brilliant film by the way, I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom