• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tiamant
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:10 PM)
Tiamant's Avatar
Dissidia all over again. Squall was godly at building brave but all his HP attacks sucked big time, I bet we'll se something similar here with the supers.
Professor Beef
holds a doctorate in beef
(05-01-2012, 10:16 PM)
Professor Beef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tiamant

Dissidia all over again. Squall was godly at building brave but all his HP attacks sucked big time, I bet we'll se something similar here with the supers.

Adding assists helped. Unfortunately, assists also threw balance out the window for a while.
Figboy79
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:21 PM)
Figboy79's Avatar
I'm going to hold on making balancing statements until we know more about the characters and their abilities.

It's almost impossible to create an accurate picture of how the game balance will be until we get it in our hands and tool around with it for a while.

I imagine that there will no doubt be some kind of balance issues, as all fighters tend to have them, but what those issues are, and for which characters remains to be seen. I can't wait to see who else is in the roster.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss Ellen or Keats, as, when you consider game play, they could bring some really interesting tactics to the game play, and you never know, maybe become favorites of some players.

I think the Folklore IP is one of my favorites of this generation, and it's a shame that it didn't get the love it deserved, because people were too busy raging at the $500/$600 asking price of the PS3.

I have a feeling if it was released as a $20 PSN title, it would get a new audience right away. Unfortunately, I think it may be a rather sizable download. I remember the demo being over 1 gig. I'm imaging the full game to be rather large in size. I can't see it being smaller than 9 gigs, but I could be wrong.
prwxv3
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:25 PM)
prwxv3's Avatar
Pretty much the biggest problems I have with these kind of games (like smash bros) are the clone characters that are just there to increase the roster. I would rather have a smaller roster with characters that play differently.
Izick
(05-01-2012, 10:40 PM)
Izick's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

Pretty much the biggest problems I have with these kind of games (like smash bros) are the clone characters that are just there to increase the roster. I would rather have a smaller roster with characters that play differently.

I've never had a problem with it. Basically if you're giving me 25 unique characters, and like 10 clones, then I'm fine with that. People want to see more characters, and sometimes it's impossible to try and balance all those characters. Having clones allows you to put in characters without risking balance. I could understand if there's a large amount of clones though, but if there aren't then I think it's fine.
prwxv3
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:44 PM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

I've never had a problem with it. Basically if you're giving me 25 unique characters, and like 10 clones, then I'm fine with that. People want to see more characters, and sometimes it's impossible to try and balance all those characters. Having clones allows you to put in characters without risking balance. I could understand if there's a large amount of clones though, but if there aren't then I think it's fine.

I can see others not being bothered by it. But in the next smash bros I would like more crazy unique characters like Olimar.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:44 PM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

Sony's D-Pads are analog, too.

The analog on the dpad are hardly ever used. I doubt the analog of the directions are even enabled in this game even for the analog stick.
prwxv3
Member
(05-01-2012, 10:48 PM)
prwxv3's Avatar
It is great that they are giving players the option to play using the D-pad along with the analog stick. I know a ton of fighting game fans that dislike using the analog stick for smash bros. Hopefully the fighting stick rumor is true as well.
shaowebb
The Keeper and Holy Guardian of Captain Badass
(05-01-2012, 10:52 PM)
shaowebb's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

I can see others not being bothered by it. But in the next smash bros I would like more crazy unique characters like Olimar.

Olimar took so much work to use he was a joke to most players outside of tourney dudes though. I loved his unique premise and I'm impressed by those who can use running away and such to slowly inch that victory with the guy, but to be honest I hope no characters like Olimar end up in this game. Not saying I don't want original and distinctive movesets on characters because I'd be insane to ever want that. I'm just saying I don't want to play anything like Olimar again in games of this genre.

I WOULD like if they give some of his tools to movesets with more options though.

I'm betting Ratchet & Clank make it into this along with Jak and Daxter and Nathan Drake. I cannot wait to see which weapons Ratchet and Clank get in their toolset and how many items from their games eventually make it into this. Cmooooooon discoball.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(05-01-2012, 10:53 PM)
Loudninja's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

It is great that they are giving players the option to play using the D-pad along with the analog stick. I know a ton of fighting game fans that dislike using the analog stick for smash bros. Hopefully the fighting stick rumor is true as well.

Looking at the pics you can see them playing on them.
KevinCow
Banned
(05-01-2012, 11:00 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

Pretty much the biggest problems I have with these kind of games (like smash bros) are the clone characters that are just there to increase the roster. I would rather have a smaller roster with characters that play differently.

Clones are a tricky question.

All else the same, I'd always prefer original characters. I think it's messed up in Brawl how there are characters who had about as much work done as an original character - new model, new animations, all that - but still felt like clones.

On the other hand, in Melee, the clones were tossed in kinda last minute. They just slapped existing animations on new character models and changed some of the numbers. In that case, I didn't really mind.

I guess it comes down to how much effort a new character takes versus a clone. If they took the same effort, I'll take the new character any time. If they could do two clones with the effort it would take to make a new character? I'll still lean towards the new character. Three? Eh... you've almost got me, but I'll still say new character. Four, five, six? Okay, I think you've got me, send in the clones.

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what clones would work for this game.
Zen
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:10 PM)
Zen's Avatar

Originally Posted by diffusionx

Of course. That's why PaRappa is in there. Sony reminding everyone of one of their big early flops is like Kevin Costner telling everyone he was prominent in The Postman. I don't think he does that.

Yeah, selling 1.4 million in japan alone is a total flop.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:12 PM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

Clones are a tricky question.

All else the same, I'd always prefer original characters. I think it's messed up in Brawl how there are characters who had about as much work done as an original character - new model, new animations, all that - but still felt like clones.

On the other hand, in Melee, the clones were tossed in kinda last minute. They just slapped existing animations on new character models and changed some of the numbers. In that case, I didn't really mind.

I guess it comes down to how much effort a new character takes versus a clone. If they took the same effort, I'll take the new character any time. If they could do two clones with the effort it would take to make a new character? I'll still lean towards the new character. Three? Eh... you've almost got me, but I'll still say new character. Four, five, six? Okay, I think you've got me, send in the clones.

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what clones would work for this game.

Maybe good Cole MacGrath and evil Cole MacGrath from Infamous. Would be cool if you could become good or bad during the fight though, making it one character.
prwxv3
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:15 PM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

Clones are a tricky question.

All else the same, I'd always prefer original characters. I think it's messed up in Brawl how there are characters who had about as much work done as an original character - new model, new animations, all that - but still felt like clones.

On the other hand, in Melee, the clones were tossed in kinda last minute. They just slapped existing animations on new character models and changed some of the numbers. In that case, I didn't really mind.

I guess it comes down to how much effort a new character takes versus a clone. If they took the same effort, I'll take the new character any time. If they could do two clones with the effort it would take to make a new character? I'll still lean towards the new character. Three? Eh... you've almost got me, but I'll still say new character. Four, five, six? Okay, I think you've got me, send in the clones.

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what clones would work for this game.

I think it would better if they avoided clone characters for the first game. Personally I would rather have joke characters.
Seventy_X_Seven
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:16 PM)
Seventy_X_Seven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Maybe good Cole MacGrath and evil Cole MacGrath from Infamous. Would be cool if you could become good or bad during the fight though, making it one character.

That would be really awesome if they pulled it off right. Great idea.
cyborg009
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:17 PM)
cyborg009's Avatar
Close enough ....

HyperBitHero
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:19 PM)
HyperBitHero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Maybe good Cole MacGrath and evil Cole MacGrath from Infamous. Would be cool if you could become good or bad during the fight though, making it one character.

They should do that with Jak and his Light and Dark powers.
iKeepPlaying
Banned
(05-01-2012, 11:20 PM)
iKeepPlaying's Avatar

Originally Posted by cyborg009

Close enough ....

The dinosaur in the background is supposed to be Jenova?
KingK
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:24 PM)
KingK's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what clones would work for this game.

Nathan Drake and Sully. Although that probably won't be until the sequel.
cyborg009
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:29 PM)
cyborg009's Avatar

Originally Posted by iKeepPlaying

The dinosaur in the background is supposed to be Jenova?

actually ps1 tech demo dinosaur I personally never heard of it until this thread so ya....

here the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY
Izick
(05-01-2012, 11:31 PM)
Izick's Avatar

Originally Posted by cyborg009

actually ps1 tech demo dinosaur I personally never heard of it until this thread so ya....

here the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY

Wait that's really in there? I must have missed it in the video.
Acquiescence
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:35 PM)
Acquiescence's Avatar

Originally Posted by cyborg009

actually ps1 tech demo dinosaur I personally never heard of it until this thread so ya....

here the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY

I still own the disc featuring that and the mantra. Blew me away as a kid, moving onto the Playstation from a Mega Drive/Snes. The music accompanying the mantra demo is still ace, not to mention incredibly evocative.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:37 PM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seventy_X_Seven

That would be really awesome if they pulled it off right. Great idea.

Do lv 2 become merciful and thought of as good, be rewarded with a good Cole power, it will be accurate but target a select area not wanting to harm innocent bystanders.

Save up to level 3 and your wrath is evil, premeditated murder type of bad. You would be evil Cole for standard transform time with a heck of a lot of destruction with little care for life hitting whatever and aimlessly (get lucky and hit people. There's a good chance you will).

Level one is normal Cole doing a good shock ability or something, maybe a counter which grabs someone and shock them to death.
KevinCow
Banned
(05-01-2012, 11:43 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seventy_X_Seven

That would be really awesome if they pulled it off right. Great idea.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted by KevinCow

You know what would be cool?

Square: Good attacks.
Triangle: Evil attacks.

The game keeps track of which you've used more, and Cole's appearance changes to show this. Then your special attacks on O have different properties based on your alignment. When good, grenades will stick to opponents; when evil, they'll split into three.

Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-01-2012, 11:46 PM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

Yeah that would do it hah. Man hope the characters could change during gameplay. Hurry up E3.
Endo Punk
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:41 AM)
Endo Punk's Avatar
What just hap... that was weird :\

Anyway if there are 24 characters I am guessing they will reveal 6 at E3(of course) with more American developed characters which includes Cole. 6 more will be revealed at Gamescom with more Euro developed characters like Sackboy and Jennifer Tate(I swear if shes not in Im gonna be pissed). And the final 6 at TGS with more Japanese centric characters like Toro and Spike.

And seeing as how there will be bonus 3rd party characters they will probably get all the events in between like PAX and Comicon.
#1 defender
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:14 AM)
#1 defender's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

I still own the disc featuring that and the mantra. Blew me away as a kid, moving onto the Playstation from a Mega Drive/Snes. The music accompanying the mantra demo is still ace, not to mention incredibly evocative.

Heh, i still remember showing off the T-Rex and manta demos to impress friends when they came over to check out the console. :)
shink
Member
(05-02-2012, 02:54 AM)
shink's Avatar
I kinda hope they don't reveal all the characters in the game. I would like there to be a few secret unlockable characters to keep a bit of mystery.

I guess I could just media blackout this game until it's release but I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation to check.
James Sawyer Ford
Member
(05-02-2012, 03:07 AM)
James Sawyer Ford's Avatar
Would really love to play this on a Vita.

If it ever gets confirmed, I'll buy both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Vita would be really nice to play thanks to the awesome dpad. Wish the PS3 controller had that dpad.
jiggle
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:17 AM)
jiggle's Avatar
posted?



http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224051p1.html
SmithnCo
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:18 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by jiggle

posted?



http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224051p1.html

NeoGAF user Arukado posted the image below in an expansive thread covering PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

:p
Seventy_X_Seven
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:18 AM)
Seventy_X_Seven's Avatar

Originally Posted by jiggle

posted?

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...1335824552.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224051p1.html

IGN sites this very thread. Ask yourself that question again :P
jiggle
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:18 AM)
jiggle's Avatar
XD
Schobeleth
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:27 AM)
Schobeleth's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Sawyer Ford

Would really love to play this on a Vita.

If it ever gets confirmed, I'll buy both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Vita would be really nice to play thanks to the awesome dpad. Wish the PS3 controller had that dpad.

Honestly, at first I was begging for a VITA version but with how much is going on and how small the VITA screen is.. I dunno if it could work. I mean I love my VITA and everything and I want to get practically everything for it but I think this type of game that has tons of characters, animations and stuff going on with the camera zooming in and out all the time might not translate well to a smaller screen.

I remember getting super mad playing SSBB on a small SD tv at my friend's house, or even worse, a HDTV, because SSBB was terribly pixelated on it :(
FantasticMrFoxdie
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:45 AM)
FantasticMrFoxdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seventy_X_Seven

IGN sites this very thread. Ask yourself that question again :P

lol This NeoJaf guy knows what hes talking about.
sixteen-bit
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:47 AM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by jiggle

posted?



http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224051p1.html

My wife is in this game? Neat.
cyborg009
Member
(05-02-2012, 04:49 AM)
cyborg009's Avatar

Originally Posted by Schobeleth

Honestly, at first I was begging for a VITA version but with how much is going on and how small the VITA screen is.. I dunno if it could work. I mean I love my VITA and everything and I want to get practically everything for it but I think this type of game that has tons of characters, animations and stuff going on with the camera zooming in and out all the time might not translate well to a smaller screen.

I remember getting super mad playing SSBB on a small SD tv at my friend's house, or even worse, a HDTV, because SSBB was terribly pixelated on it :(

If you had CFW PSP you could have played SSB on your PSP and see how it looks
Drencrom
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:34 AM)
Drencrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by jiggle

posted?



http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224051p1.html

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Can't really see Yorda being a playable character though. She's so helpless in ICO and Superbot seem to only have one character from each series so shes's probably part of Ico's super.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:38 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drencrom

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Can't really see Yorda being a playable character though. She's so helpless in ICO and Superbot seem to only have one character from each series so shes's probably part of Ico's super.

Fat Princess was helpless in her game too though. At least Yorda had some magic stuff going on.
Captain N
Junior Member
(05-02-2012, 05:44 AM)
Captain N's Avatar
Any chance we could see Dart or someone else from Legend of Dragoon?
SolidSnakex
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:44 AM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Fat Princess was helpless in her game too though. At least Yorda had some magic stuff going on.

I think the difference is that people have very little attachment to Fat Princess as a character, while Yorda is from one of the most well loved PS games ever. So it's possible that you'll have people that aren't particularly happy with them changing Yorda just for a fighting game.
Drencrom
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:49 AM)
Drencrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Fat Princess was helpless in her game too though. At least Yorda had some magic stuff going on.

True, forgot that. But doesn't that mean that both Ico and Yorda will be playable or maybe they picked Yorda over him? Makes more sense that Ico comes to the rescue in a super haha.

But I still doubt that she will be playable, doesn't feel right to have her fighting.
Last edited by Drencrom; 05-02-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Ploid 3.0
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:53 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar
Maybe it will be a Ico+Yorda combo.
Ravage
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:54 AM)
Ravage's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

That will be really cool. I love characters with dynamic forms.
KevinCow
Banned
(05-02-2012, 05:54 AM)
KevinCow's Avatar
Ico and Yorda run around holding hands.

And then Ico swings Yorda around as a weapon.
SmithnCo
Member
(05-02-2012, 05:56 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

Ico and Yorda run around holding hands.

And then Ico swings Yorda around as a weapon.

One of their supers is sitting together on the save bench.

Then he swings her around as a weapon.
Drencrom
Member
(05-02-2012, 06:04 AM)
Drencrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

Ico and Yorda run around holding hands.

And then Ico swings Yorda around as a weapon.

Thought about that too but it would probably look and play weird. Yes, I know that the ice climbers work well in SSB but here Ico will be dragging Yorda around.

Would be kinda adorable
Dragonzord
coaches in the WNBA
(05-02-2012, 06:09 AM)
Dragonzord's Avatar
You guys already talk about the supposed 'leaked list' from a couple of years ago?
Last edited by Dragonzord; 05-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
KevinCow
Banned
(05-02-2012, 06:14 AM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoner

You guys already talk about the 'leaked list' from a couple of years ago?

Nope. Do share.
Yagharek
Member
(05-02-2012, 06:16 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar
No Captain Blasto, no sale.

Thread Tools