• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
None. Because I don't buy into GAF hype and buy whatever the hell is interesting to me.

Dealwithitdogwithglassessmug.gif

Only game that I bought that looked interesting was a complete disappointment was Modern Warfare 2. And that's because it was rushed out the door and not balanced at all.

nexen

I'm not really surprised at that. I ended up dropping the game for over a year after getting partially in it and being overwhelmed. I came back, caught my bearings, and really enjoyed it...but I can definitely see why it gets mixed views.

I'm enjoying the beatdown. I bought that game at a premium because of GAF hype. *popcorn*

I hate the mentality of this thread.

I really, honestly do.

It'll be ok, man. *hugs*

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I regret purchasing both Binding of Isaac and Beyond Good & Evil HD, both of which I heard about on here.

BOI, to me, is just another Roguelike, except with extremely unappealing visuals and an unsettling storyline. I'd much rather play Dungeons of Dredmor or just plain old Nethack.

Beyond Good & Evil started out OK, but quickly showed its age, and eventually just became tiresome. I didn't care about the characters or what was happening, the mechanics were frustrating and dated, and I eventually just had to admit that I wasn't having any fun.

AppleMIX

That is dumb as hell, if the AI was good you wouldn't know the dragon was going to attack anyway because it wouldn't telegraph anything.

Some people in this thread can't deal with the fact that they are bad at the particular game they hate.

A good game wouldn't throw a enemy that can kill you in one hit without some warning.

Muffdraul

Uncharted

I said: This demo is sure pretty, but what a mediocre game. It's like the Ico minus the charm crossed with Gears minus the adrenaline. Pass.

GAF said: OMG OMG SOOOOO GOOD GAME OF TEH FOREVAR!!!!!

I said: Hmmm maybe the demo was mis-representative, wouldn't be the first time. Sounds like the full game is much better............................................ nah, I was right the first time.

Xenoblade

I said: I'm a Takahashi fanboy for life, but this just doesn't appeal to me.

GAF said: OMG OMG SOOOOO GOOD JRPG OF TEH FOREVAR!!!!!

I said: Well, I should probably give it a chance..... ZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzz....

ReaperXL7

Well the first games that come to mind personally would be

Mirror's Edge

Beyond Good & Evil

Bayonetta

and Mario Galaxy

I had read nothing but praise on these games from Gaf, and quite a few other places. I picked them up, and was very regretful afterword, with Mario though it probably does not help that the two Mario games I played last that were good in anyway were Super Mario World, and Sunshine.

Gaf made me think Suikoden 3 was good as game. The only good parts were the intro, and the story. Just youtube the intro again, and read the Manga.

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

sixghost

As for the Souls games. I just don't care. I suck at them and when I pick up the controller I just dont get the controls. I feel discombobulated. Which I never feel like in say Ninja Gaiden. The fanbase also dosent give me a good impression. In the end they just aren't for me.

Slow doesn't necessarily mean bad. You just need to realize you aren't playing Ninja Gaiden or Baynetta, and that animations have priority and weight. You can't start an attack thinking "oh I'll just instantly cancel this attack animation into an invincible roll if the enemy starts to attack." Anytime you are thinking about attack, you need to think about the consequences of missing or having he attack blocked.

It can take a while to get used to it but once your brain adjust to the pace of the game the controls are solid.

Nekki

I never understood how Fallout 3 was game of the year. And i put 70 hours into it before calling it quits.

I understand the good things it had tho, but it was really boring to me.

A good game wouldn't throw a enemy that can kill you in one hit without some warning.

That bridge did look pretty ominous.

The game practically bitch slaps you in the tutorial. Your journey up to that bridge should have indicated that caution is the name of the game. You can get about a quarter into the bridge and still have enough time to sprint back.

The game telegraphs the hell out of everything Whether you can read the cues it's something else entirely.

Mzo

Well the first games that come to mind personally would be

Mirror's Edge

Beyond Good & Evil

Bayonetta

and Mario Galaxy

I had read nothing but praise on these games from Gaf, and quite a few other places. I picked them up, and was very regretful afterword, with Mario though it probably does not help that the two Mario games I played last that were good in anyway were Super Mario World, and Sunshine.

BG&E has begun to show its age but the other games absolutely deserve all the praise they get, and then some. Can't wrap my brain around this in the slightest.

nexen

These kinds of threads just seem like an excuse to hate on things others like.

It is a chance to vent about games that have pissed you off. It shouldn't be personal when someone hates something you like. I never understood why people get so bent out of shape when this happens. It isn't like you worked on the game (unless you did, then I totally get it :) This just seems to be some aspect of human nature though. People get their self worth wrapped up in their tastes somehow.

Ranger X

The only problem that really exist here is people buying games over popular opinion. This never was and never will be a good idea.

Vamphuntr

I like these threads. You get the chance to discuss games that you didn't like much and that everyone else loved and find people sharing your opinion. If you try to voice your opinion in an official thread, everyone will gang up on you and brand you as hater. It's nice to know you are not alone that hated a game.

Some people here are taking this way too much seriously. It's not the end of the world that people hated something that a majority liked.

The problem with these threads is people feel the need to qualify their opinions with their opinions which tend to be hyperbolic and dismissive.

Wildesy

I think gamers are just naturally the most negative people...This thread...

It's definitely clear that no game is untouchable. I wonder what comes the closest? Tetris maybe?

Gaf said:

'Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This is AMAZING!'

I said:

'So. Much. Text.'

Then I died of boredom.

Seriously, what the fuck. It's a text based adventure game, the text is the game! Your criticism is like playing an FPS and complaining about their being too much shooting.

ReaperXL7

BG&E has begun to show its age but the other games absolutely deserve all the praise they get, and then some. Can't wrap my brain around this in the slightest.

Honestly a big part of it is that I just have a hard time playing games with female MCs, and I feel like alot of games with female MCs get a free pass on alot of things for that fact alone.

Also with reguards to Mirrors edge I just could not get used to the controls, it was a great idea, but flawed in it's execution, atleast from my point of view, also very short.

Bayonetta I just did not like for a variety of reasons, The MC, the setting, story, art design. The only thing worth much was the combat system, but that can't save it by itself when I like little else about it.

Mzo

A lot of things in this world can be subjective, but not everything.

There have to be quantifiable elements in these games about which factual declarations can be made.

I kind of regret trading in my copy of TWEWY. I wasn't a GAF member yet when I bought it, but I think hearing Nomura's name attached is what drew me to buy it in the first place. I just didn't understand it at the time and I was in a phase where I had been sick of JRPGs and the like, which I've since 180-ed. I might have to buy it again though even though I have Xenoblade and two DQ games to get through while waiting on The Last Story and KH3D.

noobasuar

Banned
Super Meat Boy- I really like platformers but not like this. I felt like it was just too much trial and error type of gameplay. Probably the game I'm most disappointed with this generation.

Red Dead Redempation- I loved the way it looked but the gameplay was lacking like all of rockstars recent games, even though the bulletime mechanic was pretty cool. I have no doubt rockstars going to fuck up Max Payne 3. Rockstar just does not know how to do gunplay espacilly compared to Remedy. :(

Cactus

Banned
Probably not a long list since I generally only buy games that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy, but:

The Last Remnant - Music is great, battle system is above average, but every other part of this game is terrible, and I'm not someone who has the patience to devote 40+ hours to a generally terrible game

Tales of Graces F - Probably would have bought this anyway, but hearing so many people call it the best localized Tales game probably hurt my enjoyment by raising my expectations. The battle system is definitely deeper than previous Tales game, but I've learned after repeated attempts to enjoy this series that a good action-based battle system isn't enough to validate my purchase of a $60 game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Gaf said:

'Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This is AMAZING!'

I said:

'So. Much. Text.'

Then I died of boredom.

You bought a visual novel and didn't expect to be thrown a lot of text?

I mean, I can understand not appreciating the medium, or what 999 was doing, but... you really should've known what you were getting into.

Mzo

Honestly a big part of it is that I just have a hard time playing games with female MCs, and I feel like alot of games with female MCs get a free pass on alot of things for that fact alone.
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that as a running thread between those games. Interesting.

I will agree that the controls for Mirror's Edge were, uh, unorthodox and there was definitely an adjustment period involved. Not everyone is willing to put in the time and I can respect that, but it's an unfortunate (and time consuming) part of the hobby to not only have to learn but eventually master a game's controls. That's half the fun for me, to be honest: seeing my skill grow in these games I play.

Red Dead.

I'm still recovering. I needed therapy to get over that type of boredom.

Ditto. I think I might be done with Rockstar open-world games entirely, and I only played GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption.

I love the euphoria engine, and a few of the characters Rockstar makes, but most are just painfully generalized characteractures and never funny when they're suppose to be. (crazy gravedigger, drug using anthropologist). Why do I have to do missions for these people to progress the story? It's open world isn't it? Just let me sneak into the enemy fort without doing hours of tedious horse racing and random murder.

The ending was also ruined by the terrible quickdraw mini-game. Had no what I was suppose to do and it took 3 or 4 retries.

Some people here are taking this way too much seriously. It's not the end of the world that people hated something that a majority liked.
I just think some posters want to make themselves look good. "Oh look at me, I don't stoop down to level of some and hate on things, I'm so much better".

And it's always from the same posters in these type of threads.

Slow doesn't necessarily mean bad. You just need to realize you aren't playing Ninja Gaiden or Baynetta, and that animations have priority and weight. You can't start an attack thinking "oh I'll just instantly cancel this attack animation into an invincible roll if the enemy starts to attack." Anytime you are thinking about attack, you need to think about the consequences of missing or having he attack blocked.

It can take a while to get used to it but once your brain adjust to the pace of the game the controls are solid.
Probably all true, but that doesn't sound fun to me. I'm not good at slow paced games like that. I'm much better at games that are fast. They are also more fun. DS isn't fun to me, I'm not good at it and I don't really care for how it plays.

XenoRaven

For real. I don't like seeing all the Bayonetta votes. Especially the ones that say the story was bad or the cutscenes were silly or whatever. I feel like that would be the same as me saying I don't like Braid because there's not a combo counter. But opinions are opinions and some people go into a game with a different mindset than others.

With that out of the way, I would like to cast a vote for Super Meat Boy. I got it as part of a Humble Indie Bundle and it was one of the main influences in me actually getting the bundle. I just...don't enjoy it. Maybe if I tried again with a controller instead of my keyboard I would feel differently. But this whole "play through this super hard mini-level and keep trying over and over until you get it" thing just doesn't click with me. I've heard the stories about the guys that made the game, and I have nothing but respect for their work ethic, and they obviously had a good idea because they found some success. It's just not for me.

EDIT:
You hear and see it coming well before it roasts the bridge? Ears and eyes, dude.
Actually, in my game I didn't even see it. I was just set on fire and had no chance for escape. That said, it made me laugh out loud. The fact that anything can just jump out and end your life at any moment is part of what makes me enjoy the game. It's odd that similar frustrations keep me from enjoying SMB.

Mzo

I absolutely can't stand anything about FFX. It honestly makes me physically ill. I've tried to beat it three times and have not been able to. First time I stopped when I met Maester Seymour, I was like "I'm out, done." Second time I made it to the part where Sin teleports everyone to the desert for like no reason? I hated it so much. Third time I broke up the wedding and just never came back.

I'm going to buy the Vita version and try again.

Eric_S

Bioshock.

The first impression rolled in, I thought it looked "eh", but GAF was wild about it.

The thing got released and "OMG, best thing evar!".

So I got it and ... I though "well the gameplay is sorta dull, those radio stations seem to play the same annoying tune over and over and... and there seems to be a real dearth of enemy types, not to mention that the same types of props seem to be recycled infinitely". "But hey!" I thought. "The story seems to be really nea..." *the twist passes* ... "oh".

hayguyz

Banned
"I didn't like this popular game because of reasons a, b, and c"

"WHAT?!?! You're an idiot. That game is the greatest game of this gen. You just suck at games."

Fat Princess: There is simply no way to develop a coherent strategy in this game. It's just chaos.

Actually there is ..plenty of people do.. You just have to look over the chaos and gain perspective over the battlefield.. i've seen several games where within the obvious chaos was a beautifull stratégy to reach their goal in time. Did you even try to learn teh pro and cons or look for the right mecanics ?

Crazy, I think ToS is the only game I've ever played through three times consecutively

Loved it that much!

I played Tos 19 times it's the Tales of game i've played the most ( i've played them all including spin-offs and webgames) Tos isn't perfect but it's certainly not garbage.
Ps: Collete get friend zoned EVERY TIME

Here goes:

Radiant Historia.

I just could not get into it. First couple of hours are fun, but then every single battle starts feeling like a massive chore (random encounters take way too long), and you backtrack through the same environments over and over (and over). 10 or so hours in, I could just not be bothered to complete it. I get why some people are really into it and it's hilarious FFXIII-2 wholesale ripped off its time travel system, but I think this game has been a tad over-praised by Gaf.

FF13-2 didn't rip anything they have 2 differents ways and rules regarding time travel.
What's the point of time travel if you can't go back in the same place to change things.??

What's more, you can avoid battle encounters and the encounters aren't even random !!
Sure you've played it ?
the game give you the opportunity to avoid/use the field battles as you please BUT hey let's complain about it !!!

^^It's even annoying when they complain with notion that are downright false ( And no i'm not talking about tastes , see my first reply on this thread )

"I didn't like this popular game because of reasons a, b, and c"

"WHAT?!?! You're an idiot. That game is the greatest game of this gen. You just suck at games."

Congrats ! way to miss the point....

Top Bottom