• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Hot Coldman
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:19 AM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar

Originally Posted by nckillthegrimace

You should say that in the Zero Punctuation thread. I'm sure you'll make some new friends.

I have enough friends as it is. :lol They all miss the fucking point. His job is to entertain. He's Charlie Brooker-esque for sure but he never went down that same road of eventually using humour to make points he feels need to be stated en masse. He's an entertainer, and his weapon of choice is his opinion.
JordanLMiller
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:19 AM)
JordanLMiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by Don'tBeWeird

Nintendo fanboys are a crazy bunch.

See the Sony All Stars thread for more evidence.

The thing about Yahtzee is, that even though his reviews are comedic, he does raise some very valid criticisms.

I missed this, what happened?
zroid
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:20 AM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by rpmurphy

Does he actually not like a lot of video games, or is it just an act?

Anyway, his videos got super stale for me a long time ago, when it just seemed like it was basically the same videos with different video games. Good and varied cinematography makes the difference I think.

I think he plays up the negatives in his reviews to the point where nearly everything seems like a fistful of horse poop. His criticism is just disingenuous, not usually false.

Sometimes he tries way too hard like in the Portal 2 review, and that's when his shtick becomes especially obvious to viewers.
Last edited by zroid; 05-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.
GhostTrick
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:20 AM)
GhostTrick's Avatar
Never used the stand. I finished the whole game in 9.0 intensity. If this guys is too lame to use an handheld, this is his problem.
Pylon_Trooper
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
Pylon_Trooper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fjordson

Damn, am I the only one who still finds his reviews to be pretty entertaining?

Turn in your Netizen card, bucko! Any self-respecting net culture aficionado needs to apply a three day expiry date to ANYTHING on the web, then truculently thumb their nose once that date passes.

It's the only way to be ahead of the game.

I enjoy his videos, too, but I do suffer from a strange illness that allows for others to have opinions, even if they come from comedic routes.
SmithnCo
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanLMiller

I missed this, what happened?

Couple people getting banned for drive-by "Sony copied Nintendo" comments.
Chuckpebble
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
Chuckpebble's Avatar
The only thing that I get from that excerpt is that he seems to put a good effort into reading all of his feedback. That seems impressive to me, but I guess its also a good source of material.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
alr1ght's Avatar
The best part is, in the first minute of his review he basically tells exactly what eventually happened/
Gospel
Parmesan et Romano
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
Gospel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

can't believe some people still watch it

People find it funny. I know I do.

This reminds me of those people who laugh at race jokes when it doesn't have anything to do with their race. But tell a joke about theirs and suddenly a line is crossed.
guek
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:21 AM)
guek's Avatar
[img]harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif[/img]
Pistolero
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:22 AM)
Pistolero's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanLMiller

I missed this, what happened?

Meltdowns, indignation, outrage and cries for help...Only a real train wreck due to negligeance in the real world could have triggered similar reactions.
ZeroGravity
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:22 AM)
ZeroGravity's Avatar

Originally Posted by Herbspicesoy

People still like to listen to Yahtzee reviews? I thought his shtick got old really fast.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I enjoyed his style of humor, but it eventually got to the point where he was just making the same jokes/complaints again and again.

"I don't like shooters."
"I don't like RPGs."
"I don't like multiplayer games."
"I don't like motion controls."
"I don't like Nintendo and their rehashes."

He was never really able to break out of that and once I sort of caught on, he lost me. I think what's worse is that, while I'd certainly never call him a legitimate video game reviewer or critic, he used to make some really good points and criticisms about games that spoke to me as a fan. They weren't the same kind of complaints you'd see in actual game review, and they were usually exaggerated a bit, but I felt they were just as valid. Eventually, though, he went from exaggeration to just plain "Internet fanboy hyperbole" when it came to criticizing games.
weird
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:22 AM)
weird's Avatar

Originally Posted by EuroMIX

His review style [b]was[b/] pretty fresh back when he started.

Yeah, that. His concept wore out pretty quick and he made enemies all over the place.
Smart guy, though. He REALLY should start some new stuff.
chickdigger802
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
chickdigger802's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanLMiller

I missed this, what happened?

I heard it's kinda like smash bros.
zashga
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
zashga's Avatar
Yahtzee trolls Nintendo fans at every opportunity and has done so for years. The only correct response, as a Nintendo fan, is to laugh it off.
Glix
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
Glix's Avatar
It's funny, his reviews don't bother me, but the quoted text in the OP does. Maybe I don't "know" him well enough, but if any of that is at all serious, he is kind of an asshat.
rpmurphy
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
rpmurphy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

He dislikes pretty much any modern trend in video games. Linear game design, regenerating health, over simplification of stuff etc. So that's like 99% of games this generation.

Although to my surprised, he disliked Demon Souls too. His favourite games seem to be the original Silent Hill and Portal 1.

Well, he does get paid to do this thing, so I would think that maybe he just doesn't want to reveal too much so as to not break the persona. Or maybe not? I can't tell.
prwxv3
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmithnCo

Couple people getting banned for drive-by "Sony copied Nintendo" comments.

It was a bit worse then that. Some alleged that everything about SB was copied and that Nintendo should sue.
SmithnCo
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:24 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

It was a bit worse then that. Some alleged that everything about SB was copied and that Nintendo should sue.

Yeah, haha. Plus the initial reaction which has thankfully died down.
prwxv3
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:26 AM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by rpmurphy

Well, he does get paid to do this thing, so I would think that maybe he just doesn't want to reveal too much so as to not break the persona. Or maybe not? I can't tell.

He liked Infamous 2 (though if they made a third one he would revoke it), Resistance 3 (he said that it was alot like Half-life 2), Super Mario Galaxy (but he would of liked standard controller support), and he kind of likes God of War. Are there any more?
Last edited by prwxv3; 05-02-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Salih
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:26 AM)
Salih's Avatar
"SMG is actually a good game. shame it doesn't support a standard controller."

/classic Yahtzee
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(05-02-2012, 01:27 AM)
alr1ght's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanLMiller

I missed this, what happened?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2436
weird
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:27 AM)
weird's Avatar

Originally Posted by zashga

Yahtzee trolls game fans (beside mostly shooters) at every opportunity and has done so for years. The only correct response, as a game fan, is to stuff plushy puppys in his mouth

CO-
CO-
COMBO-FIXED!
Beth Cyra
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:28 AM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

He liked Infamous 2 (though if they made a third one he would revoke it), Resistance 3 (he said that it was alot like Halflife 3), Super Mario Galaxy, and he kind of likes God of War. Are there any more?

He's praised several games.

Bioshock, No More Hereos, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Fallout 3, and Shadows of the Damned plus many more.

So there are plenty of vids of him recommending games.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:28 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by zashga

. The only correct response, as a Nintendo fan, is to laugh it off.

Which is pretty much his response to meltdowns by Nintendo fans.
prwxv3
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:29 AM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by TruePrime

He's praised several games.

Bioshock, No More Hereos, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Fallout 3, and Shadows of the Damned plus many more.

So there are plenty of vids of him recommending games.

I think he also like Amnesia.
weird
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:30 AM)
weird's Avatar

Originally Posted by alr1ghtstart

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2436

Yeah that's pretty fucking stupid. And as all stupid commentin pees he got banned... So?
Himself
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:30 AM)
Himself's Avatar
People claim that Yahtzee has some sort of schtick, yet i find that he happens to say more insightful things about games than most reviewers would a) ever say and b) have the balls to say. In a world where most gaming journalism simply props up sacred cows and scores on a scale from 80-95, Yahtzee's voice can be refreshing.
grimshawish
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:31 AM)
Worse thing that console fanboys? Reviewer fanboys?
Excuse me whilst I go feel superior with my 'rational independent thinking hat' in the corner.
Insaniac
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:31 AM)
Insaniac's Avatar
I think the people who complain about the controls are just as butthurt as the people offended by people complaining about the controls

edit: but yes, Yahtzee's schtick got old and obnoxious really fast
EuroMIX
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:32 AM)
EuroMIX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aaron Strife

But basically he lost me by ripping on Sonic Unleashed for being hard.

If I recall, wasn't that the one where people were confused as to which version he had even played due to him being vague in the review?

The Wii version isn't that hard, and from what I've seen on the HD versions, they don't seem that hard either. At most the medal collection gets tedious.

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity

Yeah, I tend to agree. I enjoyed his style of humor, but it eventually got to the point where he was just making the same jokes/complaints again and again.

"I don't like shooters."
"I don't like RPGs."
"I don't like multiplayer games."
"I don't like motion controls."
"I don't like Nintendo and their rehashes."

He was never really able to break out of that and once I sort of caught on, he lost me. I think what's worse is that, while I'd certainly never call him a legitimate video game reviewer or critic, he used to make some really good points and criticisms about games that spoke to me as a fan. They weren't the same kind of complaints you'd see in actual game review, and they were usually exaggerated a bit, but I felt they were just as valid. Eventually, though, he went from exaggeration to just plain "Internet fanboy hyperbole" when it came to criticizing games.

I felt almost exactly the same. Like I never actually played certain games myself necessarily, but I've seen games like Bioshock played and enjoyed the experience, but that didn't negate nor ruin some of his funny points and criticisms.

I think it was more fun back when you could believe it came from a point of genuine fun and passion for games and not just a soap box for "complaining about things I'll probably never like, but will continue to harp on about because it gets me fame and money" which is what it began to feel like later (does the escapist pay him? I've always assumed they did).

Originally Posted by weird

Yeah, that. His concept wore out pretty quick and he made enemies all over the place.
Smart guy, though. He REALLY should start some new stuff.

Lol, someone quote me to agree with me. That's a rare occurrence these days, thanks!
Beth Cyra
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:32 AM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himself

People claim that Yahtzee has some sort of schtick, yet i find that he happens to say more insightful things about games than most reviewers would a) ever say and b) have the balls to say. In a world where most gaming journalism simply props up sacred cows and scores on a scale from 80-95, Yahtzee's voice can be refreshing.

He does have a Schtick, this really can't be argued. He himself makes fun of it in some of his videos that people don't tune into him so he can praise a game.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have valid criticism or honestly believes alot of stuff he says, all that said though he does without doubt have a Schtick.
Seda
the worst pokemon
(05-02-2012, 01:33 AM)
Seda's Avatar
Yahztee reviews are still good entertainment for me. I still watch em.

People still don't realize that you really shouldn't take his criticisms all too seriously.

Originally Posted by prwxv3

I think he also like Amnesia.

He loved the latest Driver (iirc).
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
(05-02-2012, 01:34 AM)
Amir0x's Avatar
His Kid Icarus review is the most accurate one I've seen, schtick or not, but whether I agree with his reviews or not, or he hates on a game I like or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm generally entertained either way, because the pussy game media at large loves to give games passes, and I'm glad to hear one person who gleefully eviscerates products left and right without a care. It's his schtick, but because game journalism is such a mess, it still feels fresh by comparison. The game media at large is the one that is impossible to take seriously.
Alex
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:35 AM)
Alex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himself

People claim that Yahtzee has some sort of schtick, yet i find that he happens to say more insightful things about games than most reviewers would a) ever say and b) have the balls to say. In a world where most gaming journalism simply props up sacred cows and scores on a scale from 80-95, Yahtzee's voice can be refreshing.

Yeah, even if they are barbed for entertainment value he does a good job of highlighting genuine issues and oddities with things. He can go off on a tangent from time to time though, where he's pretty much just bitching for the sake of bitching and the wit and observation goes out the window, that's when can stop being amusing.
evangd007
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:36 AM)
evangd007's Avatar

Originally Posted by prwxv3

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-Nintendo-Fans



Not sure why there is so much hate directed toward him for almost every single one of his reviews. There have reviews were he destroys a game that I happen to love and it really does not bother me.

I don't hate him. I just skip all of his reviews of Nintendo games because all he does in them is repeat the same stale jokes from 2009.
FieryBalrog
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:36 AM)
FieryBalrog's Avatar
The general response to Yahtzee's reviews is a good demonstration of why Nintendo fanboys are particularly insufferable.

Stop being so defensive, the man makes fun of every fucking game. And it's not even like his criticisms are vague and incoherent; he hates the (fairly different) control scheme, which I can entirely understand (owning both a 3DS and the game).
EmCeeGramr
away from a PC for a while so please PM the ever helpful stumpokapow for all of your burning requests
(05-02-2012, 01:37 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
Sometimes I still kind of find him funny, but his shtick did wear thin for me a few years back when he started doing The Biggest Releases and just basically going the laziest possible route for criticisms and going off on tangents. It's not as bad as it was, but there was a period where he became Armchair Game Designer Supreme and couldn't get off a soapbox with every review. Then I just outright stopped watching regularly after his MH Tri review and Extra Punctuation followup where he outright lied about the game and then his insane fanbase on The Escapist ate it all up. Still funny sometimes, though.
Last edited by EmCeeGramr; 05-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Beth Cyra
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:37 AM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amir0x

His Kid Icarus review is the most accurate one I've seen, schtick or not, but whether I agree with his reviews or not, or he hates on a game I like or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm generally entertained either way, because the pussy game media at large loves to give games passes, and I'm glad to hear one person who gleefully eviscerates products left and right without a care. It's his schtick, but because game journalism is such a mess, it still feels fresh by comparison. The game media at large is the one that is impossible to take seriously.

This is one of the reasons I listen to him and get a little sad when I see a Nintendo game is his newest game. Granted some of them are still good, but he does have a talent for coming up with some decent jokes and at least takes games out back if need be so it's just become even more of a rehash then him calling Nintendo out for rehashing.
zashga
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:37 AM)
zashga's Avatar

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

Which is pretty much his response to meltdowns by Nintendo fans.

He understands how the game is played.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(05-02-2012, 01:38 AM)
His reviews are always overly negative, but very descriptive and honest.

I like, though, somehow if the subject is Nintendo, that's a bias, and completely unrelated to the quality of the game.

He's made the point quite well he doesn't hate Nintendo as a whole, but people only read what they want to read.
FieryBalrog
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:38 AM)
FieryBalrog's Avatar

Originally Posted by TruePrime

He's praised several games.

Bioshock, No More Hereos, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Fallout 3, and Shadows of the Damned plus many more.

So there are plenty of vids of him recommending games.

Portal 1&2, WoW, SWTOR, and others. He even wrote a book based on WoW.
Beth Cyra
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:38 AM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

His reviews are always overly negative, but very descriptive and honest.

I like, though, somehow if the subject is Nintendo, that's a bias, and completely unrelated to the quality of the game.

He's made the point quite well he doesn't hate Nintendo as a whole, but people only read what they want to read.

Don't link anyone to the Orange Box review or they will wonder who's doing it.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:39 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himself

People claim that Yahtzee has some sort of schtick, yet i find that he happens to say more insightful things about games than most reviewers would a) ever say and b) have the balls to say. In a world where most gaming journalism simply props up sacred cows and scores on a scale from 80-95, Yahtzee's voice can be refreshing.

It's because "my favorite game didn't get praised and my self-esteem is low, so I'm going to have a histrionic -driven meltdown to prove to you that i'm right and he's wrong"

Yahztee has been playing games longer than most people here, so I'll take his opinion over anybody on GAF.
Spieler Eins
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:40 AM)
Spieler Eins's Avatar
Wow, this guy is still around? He has some British accent and talks fast... how long can you find this shit funny?
ZoddGutts
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:41 AM)
ZoddGutts's Avatar
Say whatever you want about Yahtzee and he's comedy, but you have to admit he's correct about Kid Icarus having shit controls.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(05-02-2012, 01:42 AM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

It's because "my favorite game didn't get praised and my self-esteem is low, so I'm going to have a histrionic -driven meltdown to prove to you that i'm right and he's wrong"

Yahztee has been playing games longer than most people here, so I'll take his opinion over anybody on GAF.

So has Jeff Gherstmann but that doesn't mean I'll automatically know-tow to his opinion. It's more as to whether their tastes or dislikes match up with mine.

I don't really understand how he got back problems out of it though. My problems were all claw-hand related.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(05-02-2012, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Spieler Eins

Wow, this guy is still around? He has some British accent and talks fast... how long can you find this shit funny?

He is funny to you as long as he doesn't slaughter your personal sacred cow. Period. The moment you take this personally, you no longer enjoy him.
Franchuzas87
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:44 AM)
Franchuzas87's Avatar
My "problem" with Yahtzee is not he being overly critical with this or that game, is because very often he complains about things that I think are trivial matters.

To put a simple example, the Kid Icarus Uprising review takes particular emphasis on the stand. I've spent more than 50 hours with KI U and I haven't used that stand more than 5 minutes.
Beth Cyra
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:45 AM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

He is funny to you as long as he doesn't slaughter your personal sacred cow. Period. The moment you take this personally, you no longer enjoy him.

Nonsense.

I love FF and he shits on the seires at every possible chance he gets even if it takes the joke down a bit.

Thread Tools