• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

bigtroyjon
Member
(05-06-2012, 11:56 PM)

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

Whenever I've seen a thread where the cost of XBL comes into play, I often see the comment that no smart shopper pays $60 for a year of XBL. Smart shoppers supposedly pay 40, so now you're looking at an $80 difference.

This clearly isn't a deal targeted at smart shoppers so you aren't looking at an $80 difference
AzBat
Member
(05-07-2012, 09:36 AM)
AzBat's Avatar
Going with Microsoft's own pricing you're actually saving $10.95 if you choose the $99 deal...

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $299.99
2 years of Xbox Live Gold service - $59.99 x 2 = $119.98
1 year extended warranty for Xbox 360 - $24.99
1 year extended warranty for Kinect - $24.99
TOTAL - $469.95

versus

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $99
2 years of service(includes Xbox Live Gold & 2 year warranty plus additional content) - $15/month = $360
TOTAL - $459

It's not $40 more like everybody first thought. And this doesn't take into count the additional content stated in the original rumor.
Cipherr
Member
(05-07-2012, 09:40 AM)
Cipherr's Avatar

Originally Posted by dreamer3kx

Early termination fee, I dont want to see these words in gaming, get out.

Oh man this. Sadly I can see this possibly working for them.



Next gen is going to suck, isn't it..
Arpharmd B
Banned
(05-07-2012, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Cipherr

Oh man this. Sadly I can see this possibly working for them.



Next gen is going to suck, isn't it..

Why is next gen going to suck. Because they are offering a subsidised option just like cell phones?

It simply makes sense for some people. Buying a 360 for 99 then doing 15 dollar payments is almost the same thing as putting 420$ on a credit card for the same stuff and paying it off slowly for however many months. Probably actually a better idea than that, depending on your CC interest rate.

Originally Posted by AzBat

Going with Microsoft's own pricing you're actually saving $10.95 if you choose the $99 deal...

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $299.99
2 years of Xbox Live Gold service - $59.99 x 2 = $119.98
1 year extended warranty for Xbox 360 - $24.99
1 year extended warranty for Kinect - $24.99
TOTAL - $469.95

versus

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $99
2 years of service(includes Xbox Live Gold & 2 year warranty plus additional content) - $15/month = $360
TOTAL - $459

It's not $40 more like everybody first thought. And this doesn't take into count the additional content stated in the original rumor.

Get this logic out of here. It's a horrible option! EArly TERminaton FEEZ!!!! NOOES!!! MS is Hitler. End of th eowrld etc.
jbug617
Member
(05-07-2012, 06:30 PM)
jbug617's Avatar
Here is the link for the Microsoft Store
http://content.microsoftstore.com/st...live2yr-offer/
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say
(05-07-2012, 06:37 PM)
Somnid's Avatar

Originally Posted by AzBat

Going with Microsoft's own pricing you're actually saving $10.95 if you choose the $99 deal...

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $299.99
2 years of Xbox Live Gold service - $59.99 x 2 = $119.98
1 year extended warranty for Xbox 360 - $24.99
1 year extended warranty for Kinect - $24.99
TOTAL - $469.95

versus

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $99
2 years of service(includes Xbox Live Gold & 2 year warranty plus additional content) - $15/month = $360
TOTAL - $459

It's not $40 more like everybody first thought. And this doesn't take into count the additional content stated in the original rumor.

Well smart people don't actually pay full price for Live either.
coldfoot
Banned
(05-07-2012, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by AzBat

Going with Microsoft's own pricing you're actually saving $10.95 if you choose the $99 deal...

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $299.99
2 years of Xbox Live Gold service - $59.99 x 2 = $119.98
1 year extended warranty for Xbox 360 - $24.99
1 year extended warranty for Kinect - $24.99
TOTAL - $469.95

versus

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $99
2 years of service(includes Xbox Live Gold & 2 year warranty plus additional content) - $15/month = $360
TOTAL - $459

It's not $40 more like everybody first thought. And this doesn't take into count the additional content stated in the original rumor.

Who pays $25 for a year of extended warranty on Kinect? Do you know of Anyone who bought that?
StevieP
Member
(05-08-2012, 07:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

Sub based next gen console at launch? lol.

Don't act too surprised when it happens

Originally Posted by elcranky

I am pretty sure I haven't played a single MP game on the 360. i didn't pay for live until the services made it worth while

I have a bunch of devices under or around my TV (including a PC, streamer box, and the TV itself) that can do what Live Gold does but for free or built-in. Does that make me stupid or smart?
Speedymanic
Banned
(05-08-2012, 07:41 PM)
Speedymanic's Avatar

Originally Posted by StevieP

Don't act too surprised when it happens

It might happen eventually, but it won't be there at launch. I can't see MS taking the risk so soon into a new generation.
StevieP
Member
(05-08-2012, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

It might happen eventually, but it won't be there at launch. I can't see MS taking the risk so soon into a new generation.

You can and will if the Durango BOM is $6-800 and MS wants to minimize the red ink.
venne
Member
(05-08-2012, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

It might happen eventually, but it won't be there at launch. I can't see MS taking the risk so soon into a new generation.

What risk?

The bonus for them is they package profitable products (Live and extended warranty) with, historically, unprofitable hardware.

If they can get the consumer out the door with a next gen system and a couple games for $200-$300 at launch with another couple hundred coming in over the next couple years, it would be a major coup.
jaypah
Member
(05-08-2012, 07:53 PM)
jaypah's Avatar
I will never understand why a dude would give a shit where another dudes money goes.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(05-08-2012, 07:53 PM)
Slayer-33's Avatar

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

It might happen eventually, but it won't be there at launch. I can't see MS taking the risk so soon into a new generation.

They are basically securing a customer and DLC purchases + subscriptions to other content.


Major game changer imo.


They are going to achieve their set top box goal. Hell I think that they have already achieved that over here in a way already.
SYNTAX182
Member
(05-08-2012, 07:56 PM)
SYNTAX182's Avatar

Originally Posted by AzBat

Going with Microsoft's own pricing you're actually saving $10.95 if you choose the $99 deal...

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $299.99
2 years of Xbox Live Gold service - $59.99 x 2 = $119.98
1 year extended warranty for Xbox 360 - $24.99
1 year extended warranty for Kinect - $24.99
TOTAL - $469.95

versus

Xbox 360 4gb console + Kinect - $99
2 years of service(includes Xbox Live Gold & 2 year warranty plus additional content) - $15/month = $360
TOTAL - $459

It's not $40 more like everybody first thought. And this doesn't take into count the additional content stated in the original rumor.

Yeah but the first deal doesn't force full price of Live Gold and warranties down your throat either.
Sho_Nuff82
(05-08-2012, 07:57 PM)
Sho_Nuff82's Avatar

Originally Posted by jaypah

I will never understand why a dude would give a shit where another dudes money goes.

Most of the outrage stems from how 'unfair' it is that MS is cheating somehow. MS has been selling Kinect for two years now, LIVE for nearly a decade. But somehow using these to their advantage, to put out cheap hardware at mass market prices, is breaking the unspoken rules of price drops.
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(05-08-2012, 07:59 PM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by SYNTAX182

Yeah but the first deal doesn't force full price of Live Gold and warranties down your throat either.

Some gamers want option 1, some want option 2.

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Most of the outrage stems from how 'unfair' it is that MS is cheating somehow. MS has been selling Kinect for two years now, LIVE for nearly a decade. But somehow using these to their advantage, to put out cheap hardware at mass market prices, is breaking the unspoken rules of price drops.

If this was the only option to get the system I would understand the bitching but as another option... who cares if you won't use that option?
jimi_dini
Member
(05-08-2012, 08:03 PM)
jimi_dini's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arpharmd B

Why is next gen going to suck. Because they are offering a subsidised option just like cell phones?

Yes
This actually means they are going to try to pull a PS3 again ("600$") or even worse. And this time it's going to be Microsoft + Sony together. Ugh.

Also you NEED a carrier for a cell phone to be useful. Do you need Xbox Live for 360 to be useful? Not at all. You need games. But you also don't need just any game, you need games that you actually like for a console to get useful. So having some sort of contract like "buy 15 games per year not used" or "buy 5 games day-1 not used" would make more sense. Of course, wouldn't be really practicable.

It simply makes sense for some people. Buying a 360 for 99 then doing 15 dollar payments is almost the same thing as putting 420$ on a credit card for the same stuff and paying it off slowly for however many months. Probably actually a better idea than that, depending on your CC interest rate.

Yes, forgetting about the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get out of Xbox Live membership. I guess they will only accept creditcard or your bank account, so you got to enter those things somewhere. Then it also will be a pain in the ass to sell the 360 during that duration. I mean the "membership" will be forced on you. If you pay it "fully" on credit, you can sell the 360 afterwards w/o issues and pay back the credit using the monies you got from selling it. But using this scheme, you are forced into a Xbox Live membership. You also got a forced warranty that is probably not sellable at all. And you got Xbox Live membership, also not sellable at all. And in case you don't like Xbox Live at all, well crap - you got to pay for 2 years anyway. And maybe they even lock the 360 onto your account, so it won't be sellable at all.

And selling it isn't that off. I mean if you can't afford the full price of a 360, you should better not get it at all or at least get it in a way, that you can get rid of it w/o problems, if you need the money.
Last edited by jimi_dini; 05-08-2012 at 08:05 PM.
jaypah
Member
(05-08-2012, 08:07 PM)
jaypah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Most of the outrage stems from how 'unfair' it is that MS is cheating somehow. MS has been selling Kinect for two years now, LIVE for nearly a decade. But somehow using these to their advantage, to put out cheap hardware at mass market prices, is breaking the unspoken rules of price drops.

yeah, I understand that a lot of the people complaining and saying the sky is falling weren't too hot on MS to begin with. Its the same as any Kinect, Live or MS E3 thread. I just don't understand why it matters if they don't plan on using the offer in the first place? I mean, I wouldn't get mad about the price of yogurt because a) I don't care about yogurt and b) I don't care about how much other people spend on yogurt. It all seems super petty to me.
Last edited by jaypah; 05-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
SYNTAX182
Member
(05-08-2012, 08:17 PM)
SYNTAX182's Avatar

Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer

Some gamers want option 1, some want option 2.



If this was the only option to get the system I would understand the bitching but as another option... who cares if you won't use that option?

I'm not saying Microsoft should not do this. It's nice to have options, but the first deal is the better option because it saves money and you have the option of getting the warranties or not. You can get a better deal by taking the first option. There's no point in the second deal but to lock you down long term, hence the reason for termination fees. You pay $10.00 less if you pay for option 1 full price, which is not a smart consumer move. Not a great deal, your signing a contract like it's a cellphone and paying more.
Bumblebeetuna
Member
(05-08-2012, 08:31 PM)
Bumblebeetuna's Avatar

Originally Posted by jimi_dini

Yes, forgetting about the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get out of Xbox Live membership. I guess they will only accept creditcard or your bank account, so you got to enter those things somewhere. Then it also will be a pain in the ass to sell the 360 during that duration. I mean the "membership" will be forced on you. If you pay it "fully" on credit, you can sell the 360 afterwards w/o issues and pay back the credit using the monies you got from selling it. But using this scheme, you are forced into a Xbox Live membership. You also got a forced warranty that is probably not sellable at all. And you got Xbox Live membership, also not sellable at all. And in case you don't like Xbox Live at all, well crap - you got to pay for 2 years anyway. And maybe they even lock the 360 onto your account, so it won't be sellable at all.

And selling it isn't that off. I mean if you can't afford the full price of a 360, you should better not get it at all or at least get it in a way, that you can get rid of it w/o problems, if you need the money.

Are people still going on about how hard it is to cancel Live? Use the computer or a phone. It's easy.

As for the rest of that.. I don't see your point. You are paying a lower up front fee so that you can pay the rest off later. It's obvious that you're going to have things "forced" on you, that's the whole point of a contract like this. You agree to take something that at retail would cost nearly $500 and you get it for $100. You then pay the rest off monthly. If shit happens and you have to sell it, or you just decide you don't like it, you can sell it and either keep paying the monthly fee for the contract you signed or pay the ETF.

Maybe I am missing something but the ETF seems to be extremely lenient. It's $250 for the first 3 months of the contract and goes down from there. You could sell the bundle for that much if you don't like it and just wipe your hands with all of it.
Captain Tuttle
Member
(05-08-2012, 09:23 PM)
Captain Tuttle's Avatar
There's worse deals out there than this one
deadlast
Member
(05-08-2012, 09:29 PM)
deadlast's Avatar
I hope Sony drops the price of the PlayStation to counter this offer.
jet1911
Member
(05-08-2012, 09:31 PM)
jet1911's Avatar

Originally Posted by deadlast

I hope Sony drops the price of the PlayStation to counter this offer.

I don't think Sony should be really worried about a plan only available at 16 locations in the US. :P
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(05-09-2012, 12:12 AM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by SYNTAX182

I'm not saying Microsoft should not do this. It's nice to have options, but the first deal is the better option because it saves money and you have the option of getting the warranties or not. You can get a better deal by taking the first option. There's no point in the second deal but to lock you down long term, hence the reason for termination fees. You pay $10.00 less if you pay for option 1 full price, which is not a smart consumer move. Not a great deal, your signing a contract like it's a cellphone and paying more.

Then you get option 1? Why do you care if someone is dumb enough to pick option 2?
CaptainZombie
Member
(01-06-2013, 06:20 AM)
CaptainZombie's Avatar
So did anyone ever jump on this? $10-$12 a month wouldn't seem bad, but once you toss in tax each month, seems a bit too high.
bill0527
um, I'll be right back
(01-06-2013, 06:26 AM)
bill0527's Avatar

Originally Posted by jaypah

I will never understand why a dude would give a shit where another dudes money goes.

Because when dudes spend their money on shit, it enables these companies to dump more shit on top of us.

The fuckers that bought horse armor opened up the floodgates and now we end up spending $120 for our games if we want the complete experience, when the complete experience used to be a one-time fee packed complete inside the box.
jelly
Member
(03-13-2014, 03:05 PM)
jelly's Avatar
Link

The Wall Street Journal has received a statement from the company saying that Microsoft no longer sells the Xbox 360 for $99 up-front combined with a two year contract for Xbox Live for $14.99 a month.

In Microsoft's official statement on the shut down of the subscription option, a spokesperson said, "This program was intended to be a pilot experiment from the start, and Microsoft routinely adjusts the mix of offers available to its customers and this change was simply standard business practice." The story also quotes Lewis Ward, an IDC gaming analyst, who claims that Microsoft told analysts in 2013 that the Xbox 360 subscription model was a way to sell a few more units of the eight year old hardware. Ward said that Microsoft wanted to squeeze "the last 10-15% out of the potential market."


Thread Tools