• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ZenVolta
(07-14-2012, 09:10 PM)
Huh, well thats bit of a sticky widget.

Since it worked for me. Make sure the Beta folder is gone. Open the rar file(double click). And just run the exe without extracting it first. It should still say bad CD Key but dont click it away just give it a second. Thats exactly what I did.

If all else fails. Load up Arma 2 and play around in the armory. Its really fun to fly the jets and helis.
Soyongdori
(07-14-2012, 09:14 PM)

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

Huh, well thats bit of a sticky widget.

Since it worked for me. Make sure the Beta folder is gone. Open the rar file(double click). And just run the exe without extracting it first. It should still say bad CD Key but dont click it away just give it a second. Thats exactly what I did.

If all else fails. Load up Arma 2 and play around in the armory. Its really fun to fly the jets and helis.

Fail. I kept launching the game through steam lol. I finally get it to work by launching the game through beta patch file.

Another question, how do you run the game on full screen, instead of window screen?

Is launching the game through the beta patch only way to play on gaf server?
Last edited by Soyongdori; 07-14-2012 at 09:18 PM.
TommyT
(07-14-2012, 09:17 PM)
NVM got it going... spawned and ran around a bit. Killed 2 zombies then died as I was only using a crowbar. Found a lot of cool stuff, esp ammo! Just no gun :(
ZenVolta
(07-14-2012, 09:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Soyongdori

Fail. I kept launching the game through steam lol. I finally get it to work by launching the game through beta patch file.

Another question, how do you run the game on full screen, instead of window screen?

Is launching the beta patch only way to play on gaf server?

Haha, Im so sorry bro. Im running this with Arma 2 free. As such I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the game to work right. I didnt think you were trying to run through the steam version(1.60)

To answer your question though. You CAN make it work through steam. But youll have to find a working guide for you. I couldnt get it to work for a long time. So I just add the exe to my steam list and play it that way.

To avoid any more weirdness you can try sixlauncher others seem to like it. Although iv used it once and thought it sucked but thats just me
Soyongdori
(07-14-2012, 09:24 PM)

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

Haha, Im so sorry bro. Im running this with Arma 2 free. As such I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the game to work right. I didnt think you were trying to run through the steam version(1.60)

To answer your question though. You CAN make it work through steam. But youll have to find a working guide for you. I couldnt get it to work for a long time. So I just add the exe to my steam list and play it that way.

To avoid any more weirdness you can try sixlauncher others seem to like it. Although iv used it once and thought it sucked but thats just me

Fuck, now I cant join the server again... T_T

It keep says "you cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. chernarus, dayz_code, dayz_weapons, dayz_equip, dayz_vehicles"

But I already have the dayz files in the directory.
Gray Man
Banned
(07-14-2012, 09:28 PM)
what are the minimum requirements to run this mod?
ZenVolta
(07-14-2012, 09:29 PM)
Yup that sounds about right.

Try this out. This was the guide that I used.
http://kodabar.blogspot.com/2012/05/...ma-2-free.html
Soyongdori
(07-14-2012, 09:53 PM)
Still stuck with whole "missing chenarus" file.
DTKT
(07-14-2012, 09:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Soyongdori

Still stuck with whole "missing chenarus" file.

Are you launching Combined Ops?
Soyongdori
(07-14-2012, 10:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DTKT

Are you launching Combined Ops?

I'm launching from Arma 2 OA Beta Patch
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3
(07-14-2012, 10:10 PM)
just cant get into it, I liked the idea but arma 2 is janky as fuck in about every way possible, and I cant get over that. I hope he does his own version someday or arma 3 is actually polished.
Orenhy
(07-14-2012, 10:12 PM)
Yesterday me and a friend were sharing our awesome loot on top of a tower, when suddenly we and almost all people in our server instantly died
Boo.
McBradders
NeoGAF: my new HOME
(07-14-2012, 10:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Orenhy

Yesterday me and a friend were sharing our awesome loot on top of a tower, when suddenly we and almost all people in our server instantly died
Boo.

Hackers. Disgusting.
JambiBum
(07-14-2012, 11:13 PM)
Went to play today, and instead of spawning at the hospital like I where I did before, I spawned on the coast in the middle of nowhere. Found a small town near me, went to read the sign to see where I was but I got attacked by zombies. While I was killing them off some random fucker murdered me :(. I had pretty good loot too. Why did it spawn me away from the hospital?! Boooooo.
Mirk
(07-14-2012, 11:25 PM)
So whats the reason the time is always messed up on the gaf server? I would like to play
during night sometimes but it never seems to get dark. I do know the server restarts messes
it up sometimes. There will be times thou that my watch says 8pm so I'll log for an hour or two
and when I come back it will say 6:45pm. :/
ZenVolta
(07-14-2012, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Orenhy

Boo.

I had a hacker warp right next to me put a shot in my head and "drag" me to the top of the skybox and drop me. Was pretty shitty but nice view
Irish
(07-14-2012, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Mirk

So whats the reason the time is always messed up on the gaf server? I would like to play
during night sometimes but it never seems to get dark. I do know the server restarts messes
it up sometimes. There will be times thou that my watch says 8pm so I'll log for an hour or two
and when I come back it will say 6:45pm. :/

Night time on the server usually occurs during the day in the US because playing at night is pretty shitty for the most part.
TheApatheticOne
(07-14-2012, 11:39 PM)
Picked this up today.

So far, a LOT of running! First Zombie spots me, and its all downhill from there. Did get a shotgun and some nice stuff on my first go. Then... I learned the hard way they can open doors. Went to go to the restroom and get a snack and drink, came back to a dead body.

After that, been having trouble to get it to go again, a lot of getting stuck on loading, and a lot of "waiting to create a character" screens. Got another round going, got to a town, and as soon as I scaled one of the building to get a lay of the land, a sniper drilled me.

All and all, its very neat, having fun, but not sure what to do. Would also love to someone meet someone to travel around with.
i hate bees
(07-14-2012, 11:52 PM)
After getting killed and starting afresh in the black of night, I came across a barn where I could see a flashlight and a couple of occupants.

They seemed to be new starters - a single shotgun between them, basic packs - I figured perhaps we could team up.

Still wary of them I crawled up to the building and crouched by a window they were stood next to, I opened the Mic channel and said 'Hey guys, can we be cool?' - in what I assume was blind terror the man turned, shot his friend point blank and sprinted out of the barn.

This game is incredible.
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 12:16 AM)
I really want to enjoy this game, however after going through buildings in a town, being found in the woods by zombies which chased me through another town, finally losing them, and going back to the town to find supplies (which resulted in again - nothing)... I don't know if I can. All that was about an hour to the point where I just got tired of running and let myself die.
Last edited by TommyT; 07-15-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Irish
(07-15-2012, 12:19 AM)
Eh, if you can't take a little bit of running, then this is most definitely not for you. Running around is 95% of what DayZ is. Of course, that isn't much of a bad thing. You would be much wiser than myself.
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 12:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Irish

Eh, if you can't take a little bit of running, then this is most definitely not for you. Running around is 95% of what DayZ is. Of course, that isn't much of a bad thing. You would be much wiser than myself.

No incentive to run around to lose the zombies if I have nothing on my character to lose. I'd love to actually find supplies (see: weapon) and have a reason to run away and 'survive'.
Ceebs
(07-15-2012, 12:33 AM)

Originally Posted by TheApatheticOne

Picked this up today.

So far, a LOT of running! First Zombie spots me, and its all downhill from there. Did get a shotgun and some nice stuff on my first go. Then... I learned the hard way they can open doors. Went to go to the restroom and get a snack and drink, came back to a dead body.

After that, been having trouble to get it to go again, a lot of getting stuck on loading, and a lot of "waiting to create a character" screens. Got another round going, got to a town, and as soon as I scaled one of the building to get a lay of the land, a sniper drilled me.

All and all, its very neat, having fun, but not sure what to do. Would also love to someone meet someone to travel around with.

My usual method for a new character is to keep respawning until I am near Elektro. Go into the supermarket and then either 2 story house across the street or the 3 story (I guess it is the school?). From there I high tail it out of town. I may hit up the power plant if there are not a ton of people on the server on my way out. Then head north into the forests hitting up places where whatever I may be missing could spawn (residential mainly since I am usually short matches or a water bottle or a barn if I still need a hatchet)

From there I just pick a spot in the north and start making my way there hitting up deer stands along the way. By the time I reach the far north I am pretty stocked up on whatever I may need.
Realyn
(07-15-2012, 12:44 AM)
Bought the Steam bundle thingy. Run both games once, installed the beta patch, installed the anti cheat thing, installed six launcher and getting waiting for char creation ... what have I done wrong ? ><
Ceebs
(07-15-2012, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Realyn

Bought the Steam bundle thingy. Run both games once, installed the beta patch, installed the anti cheat thing, installed six launcher and getting waiting for char creation ... what have I done wrong ? ><

Nothing. Try a different server, or try back later. That tends to happen after updates or when the upset Russians are DDOSing the main server.
Realyn
(07-15-2012, 12:51 AM)
Meh, that sucks :/. Find some google hits about ddos'ing too. Does this happen alot?
Kinda sucks since some friends of mine are on mumble waiting for me to stream :/. Hope it works soon. Game sounds very funny, IF(!) they don't fuck up and add stuff like villages for survivors and god knows what. Like survival MC could have been ...
blitzcloud
Banned
(07-15-2012, 12:57 AM)
after dying yesterday from a hyper-strength zombie that downed me and left me unconscious so the infected could drain my 9k of blood before I went back on my feet... (goddamn, i had a silenced mp5 and lots of goodies)... i finally updated.

And since I updated to 1.7.2 and 1.7.2.3 im getting an error that doesnt even let me get into the server lobby (not the browser, the lobby inside a server)

"addon 'dayz_anim' requires addon 'camisc_fix_a2free' "

I have combined ops, so I dont know what's the problem and there's only one entry about it on the forums... without any solution.
cametall
(07-15-2012, 01:04 AM)
Is there a reason people DDoS DayZ? Because they can?
ZenVolta
(07-15-2012, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by cametall

Is there a reason people DDoS DayZ? Because they can?

Some just wanna watch Chernarus burn
RadioActiveLobster
(07-15-2012, 02:10 AM)

The latest Adventure... Being in Elektro when basically unarmed is nerve racking.
Sikamikanico
(07-15-2012, 02:21 AM)
Guys...I need anti-biotics....anyone? :(
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-15-2012, 02:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Sikamikanico

Guys...I need anti-biotics....anyone? :(

It took like half of GAF to get me anti-biotics. Even after camping a hospital a hospital for an hour+. Good luck...kill yourself, you are already dead
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 02:40 AM)
I've been running in a huge open grass land for 15 min with NOTHING in sight... I spawned here. Is this normal?

edit: just respawned which kills yourself apparently and got myself out of it. After about 3 hours of playing no gun or anything really to use as a weapon so overall I'm quite disappointed with the game. Got this on suggestions of friends, so hopefully it will be somewhat better whenever they're on.
Last edited by TommyT; 07-15-2012 at 03:56 AM.
IonizesandAtomizes
(07-15-2012, 04:03 AM)

Originally Posted by TommyT

I've been running in a huge open grass land for 15 min with NOTHING in sight... I spawned here. Is this normal?

edit: just respawned which kills yourself apparently and got myself out of it. After about 3 hours of playing no gun or anything really to use as a weapon so overall I'm quite disappointed with the game. Got this on suggestions of friends, so hopefully it will be somewhat better whenever they're on.

You spawned in the debug forest, which was supposed to be fixed.
Im thinking about taking a serious break. I ran to Berizino yesterday, and came up on some good loot. I hop on today looking forward to playing with my new weapons and i spawn in Balota. WTF!? i didn't die.
I'm slowly starting to hate this alpha shit. Thinking about holding out for ARMA III.
JambiBum
(07-15-2012, 04:23 AM)
Can anyone bring me some morphine? My friend got me stuck on a ladder and then I broke my leg :(
Branson
(07-15-2012, 05:26 AM)
Can someone point me to the GAF server? I play nice.
IonizesandAtomizes
(07-15-2012, 05:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Branson

Can someone point me to the GAF server? I play nice.

type gaf in the search
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 06:18 AM)
So we're killing each other on the GAF server?
Ceebs
(07-15-2012, 06:19 AM)

If you are not on mumble they shoot on sight.
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 06:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Ceebs

If you are not on mumble they shoot on sight.

Well one of the mumbles is either down or full... Going into the second no one is playing day z. Oh well, rather unfortunate I suppose. I'll just move on to a different one.

edit: Unless there's a different mumble than the ones we've always used/are in the OP.
Last edited by TommyT; 07-15-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Mirk
(07-15-2012, 06:33 AM)

Well one of the mumbles is either down or full... Going into the second no one is playing day z. Oh well, rather unfortunate I suppose. I'll just move on to a different one.

edit: Unless there's a different mumble than the ones we've always used/are in the OP.

mumble was down but its up now.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-15-2012, 06:33 AM)

Regardless of being on Mumble or not someones always going to kill you. I doubt you can find a single server where other players wont kill you. Most players kill on sight. GAF server is no different especially seeing as its not just GAFfers playing on it, and even then a lot of GAFfers enjoy PKing. Its part of the game.
Branson
(07-15-2012, 06:34 AM)

Originally Posted by IonizesandAtomizes

type gaf in the search

Thanks
TommyT
(07-15-2012, 06:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Mirk

mumble was down but its up now.

Yeah I hopped in, still no one answering about playing day z.

Originally Posted by Enduin

Regardless of being on Mumble or not someones always going to kill you. I doubt you can find a single server where other players wont kill you. Most players kill on sight. GAF server is no different especially seeing as its not just GAFfers playing on it, and even then a lot of GAFfers enjoy PKing. Its part of the game.

That's all well and good, and I don't mind that at all. My first day and all so I'm still trying to figure out what to expect. Hoping for something that doesn't add to the frustration of the game, but sadly not finding it yet.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-15-2012, 06:50 AM)

That's all well and good, and I don't mind that at all. My first day and all so I'm still trying to figure out what to expect. Hoping for something that doesn't add to the frustration of the game, but sadly not finding it yet.

Its not a terribly easy game, let a lone the fact that the Arma II infrastructure and base game itself isnt exactly user friendly. But if you just take some time and learn how things work its not all that hard and can be extremely enjoyable.

My current character has been alive for some 24 days now and I've racked up I think over 1200 zombie kills, and only 1 PK. If youre smart and most importantly patient you can do pretty well. Sure it might take a long ass while to crawl all the way into town at a snails pace, but its extremely rewarding once youre in a market or house and find a ton of food or ammo.
JambiBum
(07-15-2012, 07:23 AM)

The mumble in the op is not correct. I did it too at first. Look on either this page or the page before for a quotable post that has the details in it.

I got murdered in the hospital with a bunch of supplies tonight. Made me sad.
gutabo
(07-15-2012, 09:33 AM)
Ok, I was willing to give the game another go so I updated the game to the latest version(1.7.2.3) and the beta patch too(94945) but now I can't join any server at all. Help please?

EDIT: I always get stuck in the first "Wait for host" screen. I can see the welcome text of some servers, but nothing afterwards.

EDIT 2: Ok seems like beta patch 94945 is the issue, how can I go back to beta patch 94876? Thanks in advance!

EDIT 3: Deleted the beta folder and installed the beta patch, GAF WE'RE IN THERE!!!
Last edited by gutabo; 07-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
NH Apache
(07-15-2012, 03:35 PM)
So night-time.

Been crawling around in the dark as I spawned somewhere near the beach. I've seen 3 little clusters of houses that i have painstakenly ninja-ed near avoiding dozens of zombies only to not be able to get in the houses. This character has had about 1.5 hours of playtime and haven't discovered anything yet. I'm getting really hungry and thirsty.

Night just makes it so much more difficult. Also, how do I work the damn flashlight? When is sun-up on our server?
grimshawish
Banned
(07-15-2012, 03:55 PM)
If someone was at Elektro - at the fire station beside the power station - be more careful, I had like 10 shots at you (if I'd wanted to); if I'd been needing equipment and there wasn't obvious others in the city to - I'd have gone for it ;)

Anyways! Set a tent up! Finally! Going to stick some normal basic items in it; and stuff thats taking up space in my bag.

Just need one more thing and am sorted 'character wise' and might take some more risks :)
grimshawish
Banned
(07-15-2012, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by NH Apache

Night just makes it so much more difficult. Also, how do I work the damn flashlight? When is sun-up on our server?

Press g, then right cli on your flash light - click "Remove from toolbelt" and then it will take your secondary weapon slot. Press L to turn it on and off. BE CAREFUL - its basically a 'HERE I AM' signal, best flash it on and off - and scout areas before you go in.

Also just follow the roads, you'll find a town to raid and get water/food. Careful for other players ofc.