• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-15-2012, 03:59 PM)
Ball, the new hotfix didnt do anything for my character, which is good I guess since I didnt get spawned on the coast or anything, but the gillie suite I had which got borked in 1.7.2 still isnt a gillie suite anymore and remains shitty old civilian clothing, which by the way still dupes backpacks...

As well the latest hotfixes didnt do anything to change the tent duping situation since the two tents I packed up to bring to Berezino are back where I originally set them up, so by my count I now have 8 tents setup around the map.Their contents as well seem to be unchanged, granted theyre all empty save for two, but seems after every server restart they revert back to the same contents few contents they had in them. So whether I put new shit in or took the old shit out, its always the same stuff.
HaRyu
(07-15-2012, 04:57 PM)
Whoever just killed me in Berzino on the GAF server, thank you for putting me out of my misery.

If you happened to notice I ran around in circles back to the same stupid building, yeah... I had no idea where the bloody hell I was going. I "thought" I was heading towards the supermarket.

My sense of direction in this game is just awful. :P
grimshawish
Banned
(07-15-2012, 05:01 PM)
Oh weird thing just happened, I had an infection (me too!) but then my game crashed, I came back on with 12,000 blood and no infection. Lucky I suppose, but weird.
PjotrStroganov
(07-15-2012, 06:01 PM)
I heard from a buddy that a clan is setting up a base at Cherno in LU1. Putting up all kinds of barbed wire in the streets. Could be fun for the gaf clan to teach them a lesson.

They are using unarmed players as scouts, conveying player positions to their clan.
NH Apache
(07-15-2012, 06:37 PM)
So, had my first zombie encounter this morning. Freaking zombie showed up out of nowhere! I freaked and ended up jumping off a second story (not a good idea), broke a leg, and blundered through healing myself.

Escaping, got hit by another zombie! I just started running like crazy. Until I seemed to lose him and disconnected because I ran out of playtime.

But damn. This game is so immersive. I saw the sunrise in game and it was amazing.

I happened to be frapping at the time of the encounter and here is the video of my bad decisions haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqUV...ature=youtu.be
The Janitor
(07-15-2012, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by NH Apache

I happened to be frapping at the time of the encounter and here is the video of my bad decisions haha

That awkward moment when I thought you said fapping
JambiBum
(07-15-2012, 09:09 PM)
So what is a tent useful for? Especially when other players can just open it up and take your stuff.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-15-2012, 09:13 PM)

Originally Posted by JambiBum

So what is a tent useful for? Especially when other players can just open it up and take your stuff.

Back up stuff. I'm keeping items I generally already have - in case I die.
If you hide it well you can use it for storage, after all theres only so much they can carry at once if they do 'steal'.

Am planning to create two tent locations. One at the coast and another to the North West.
Means I can rearm quickly/effectively - and I can back up my medical supplies (especially important).
OrangeYouGlad
Banned
(07-15-2012, 09:15 PM)

Stocking items. The risk is what you stated. There is no safe place, so you have to careful.
JambiBum
(07-15-2012, 09:38 PM)
Thanks guys. I thought that was it but I wasn't sure. We found one but we were in Cherno with no real place to hide it. We struggled all damn night to gather some good supplies and then finally we hit the jackpot. Plenty of ammo and weapons, ton of food, and medical supplies. I think we dropped our tent though because we ran out of room to carry it.
NH Apache
(07-15-2012, 09:48 PM)
Still overwhelmed at how cool the sunrise is.

Last edited by NH Apache; 07-15-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Dr.Acula
(07-15-2012, 09:52 PM)

That's amazing.
RadioActiveLobster
(07-15-2012, 10:24 PM)

Imagine how amazing it will be using the new ArmA III lighting engine
Legato.Reborn-
(07-15-2012, 11:14 PM)

Just curious, what processor are you running?
carfo
Banned
(07-15-2012, 11:18 PM)
I see tutorial videos and everyone starts with a pistol. How come I don't ?
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(07-15-2012, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by carfo

I see tutorial videos and everyone starts with a pistol. How come I don't ?

We stopped spawning with pistols in 1.7 something I believe.

No more beech deathmatch. Just jerks who return to the coast or cities with sniper rifles.
carfo
Banned
(07-15-2012, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

We stopped spawning with pistols in 1.7 something I believe.

No more beech deathmatch. Just jerks who return to the coast or cities with sniper rifles.

I'm so bad at this lol. I can't seem to find anything other than tin cans before I manage to attract a zombie that keeps following me till I did. I'm crawling around too
kuYuri
(07-15-2012, 11:29 PM)
Amazon has ArmA II: Combined Ops for $20 this week.

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-4036...4D4RDVNXZJFGBM
Megasoum
(07-15-2012, 11:29 PM)
Sigh...I really need that game BAD... Come on Steam... The worst is, because this is the biggest seller, I'm sure Valve is keeping it for one of the last day of the sale just so that people keep coming back everyday to see the new dailies.
JambiBum
(07-15-2012, 11:32 PM)

I'm so bad at this lol. I can't seem to find anything other than tin cans before I manage to attract a zombie that keeps following me till I did. I'm crawling around too

Here's a hint for when zombies are chasing you. If you can't get inside of a building to make them slow down, run up a steep hill. They will slowly walk up it and you will lose them in no time.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-15-2012, 11:33 PM)

Avoid the cities, you'll likely die there. Try going inland and look for barns, they usually have a crossbow, Winchester, Enfields or at the very least a hatchet in them. White barns in particular usually have a least one if not two weapons in them along with other supplies. Deerstands can also have some good stuff in them, military grade weapons and ammo, but theyre not easy to find or get to sometimes and can often be full of junk so its a gamble when youre starting out. But really weapons really should be a last resort.

The key to the game is stealth and observation. Get in quietly, get out quietly. If you absolutely have to kill a zombie do so, but even then if you weave in and out of buildings, particularly barns, but also the Red and Yellow brick buildings work as well, you can lose the zombies quite easily. It doesnt matter too much if you end up attracting a bunch more zombies on the way. Even then if you dont lose them you'll at least be indoors or near enough, because its a fools errand to every try and fight off zombies outside, you'll lose more often than not, and at the very least lose a lot of blood and waste your medical supplies, if you have any.

Always fight indoors. The double door black houses are the best, you can hide behind the table in the kitchen and take your time headshotting zombies, but it does have the problem of leaving you trapped if you run out of ammo and have no hatchet. If thats a concern, the barns and red/yellow brick buildings are best, but keep aware, the multiple entrances can leave you vulnerable.

Never eat or drink unless your icons are flashing, unless you are about to enter an area full of zombies, because eating/drinking noise will attract them and it lowers your speed, so you'll want to be prepared in case things go bad and you need to huff it out of there.
ZenVolta
(07-15-2012, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Enduin

because eating/drinking noise will attract them

Iv heard that, but never had it happen to me. Iv eating and drank on the streets of Cherno with no problems before. Even in the old patches. Might have just gotten lucky though
BadTaste
(07-15-2012, 11:48 PM)
Waiting for character to create...

Yawn...

Zzzz...
NH Apache
(07-15-2012, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Legato.Reborn-

Just curious, what processor are you running?

2600k not overclocked. 6850 I think.

I've got a broken leg and I'm crawling around. How exactly do I fix that?

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Waiting for character to create...

Yawn...

Zzzz...

Took me forever too.
Last edited by NH Apache; 07-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.
The Janitor
(07-15-2012, 11:51 PM)

I've got a broken leg and I'm crawling around. How exactly do I fix that?

You'll need a "morphine auto-injector"
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

Iv heard that, but never had it happen to me. Iv eating and drank on the streets of Cherno with no problems before. Even in the old patches. Might have just gotten lucky though

Yeah I don't worry about it personally, but when you're just starting out and low on supplies/firepower its best to play things safe.
Jerrod
(07-16-2012, 12:44 AM)
I haven't played this game in about a month but this game is just not as fun as it used to be. Zombies spot me from a mile away and I can not find any food or weapons. I always have tons of soda or bullets but nothing else. Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.
ZenVolta
(07-16-2012, 01:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Jerrod

Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.

The lack of a FP view kinda throws them off for me. Plus zombies seem to be able to hit you from further away then you can with melee weapon and they just use their arms. Its a weird system lol
wolfmat
(07-16-2012, 01:08 AM)

I haven't played this game in about a month but this game is just not as fun as it used to be. Zombies spot me from a mile away and I can not find any food or weapons. I always have tons of soda or bullets but nothing else. Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.

I got used to it. I guess you have to crawl more now. But the line-of-sight thing really works sorta okay. Just gotta be quiet and stuff. Weather also makes a difference.

As for loot, head to Berezino and farm farms along the way. Never had a problem doing that.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 01:10 AM)

The lack of a FP view kinda throws them off for me. Plus zombies seem to be able to hit you from further away then you can with melee weapon and they just use their arms. Its a weird system lol

Yeah its really broken. Zombies seem to be able to hit you at like a meter and a half where as Hatchets and crowbars have a reach of like a meter. It goofy shit that needs to be changed. Why they extended the zombie attack range two updates or so ago at all is beyond me.
JambiBum
(07-16-2012, 01:16 AM)

Yeah its really broken. Zombies seem to be able to hit you at like a meter and a half where as Hatchets and crowbars have a reach of like a meter. It goofy shit that needs to be changed. Why they extended the zombie attack range two updates or so ago at all is beyond me.

How do you equip a hatchet to use it as a melee? I've never been able to figure it out lol
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 01:18 AM)

How do you equip a hatchet to use it as a melee? I've never been able to figure it out lol

Right click, prompt comes up and brings it to your primary weapon slot, but only if your primary weapon slot is empty.
ZenVolta
(07-16-2012, 01:19 AM)
Does anyone know if you can build a sandbag wall on top of a sandbag wall?
JambiBum
(07-16-2012, 01:20 AM)

Right click, prompt comes up and brings it to your primary weapon slot, but only if your primary weapon slot is empty.

Any time I've tried to do that it only gives me the option to chop trees though. At least I think so.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 01:22 AM)

Any time I've tried to do that it only gives me the option to chop trees though. At least I think so.

Did you have a primary weapon equipped already, that might be why, but I cant say for sure I havent tried to use one since they came out. Back then though the prompt definitely came up even with a primary weapon already equipped, though nothing happened if you selected it.
Jerrod
(07-16-2012, 01:26 AM)
Can you group up with people in the game, as in an official party system built into the game? I saw it say somebody got killed by friendly fire where the text chat pops up on the bottom left of the screen.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 01:30 AM)

Can you group up with people in the game, as in an official party system built into the game? I saw it say somebody got killed by friendly fire where the text chat pops up on the bottom left of the screen.

No, the friendly fire thing only comes up when someone kills another player in the debug field which is a big no-no.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 01:31 AM)
Boats are very very disappointing.
Megasoum
(07-16-2012, 01:41 AM)

No, the friendly fire thing only comes up when someone kills another player in the debug field which is a big no-no.

What's the debug field?
NH Apache
(07-16-2012, 01:45 AM)
Can you really die from closing a door on yourself? This just happened to me after finding a weapon for the first time.

http://youtu.be/KVNAi-0FEss?hd=1

And I had run out of bandages.
gutabo
(07-16-2012, 01:52 AM)

Use the hatchet/crowbar as a very short gun with an effective range of 2 to 6 meters(yeah, not so close to you). You can hit zombies without getting hit, it's easier inside a building. If you don't have food you can make some zombies follow you inside a house, kill them and sooner or later they will give you a can of food or soda or a bandage.

Can you really die from closing a door on yourself? This just happened to me after finding a weapon for the first time.

Yes, you can. Doors, ladders, even rocks can be deadly. Once I tried to crawl to get through a narrow passage, I broke many bones and died almost instantly.
Last edited by gutabo; 07-16-2012 at 01:54 AM.
RadioActiveLobster
(07-16-2012, 01:57 AM)
To be perfectly honest Doors, ladders and stair cases are more deadly than infected or people.
ZenVolta
(07-16-2012, 02:04 AM)
Iv been eaten by walls a hand full of times.

http://youtu.be/kIMZKI957x4 Skip to 2:16
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 02:05 AM)

http://youtu.be/KVNAi-0FEss?hd=1

And I had run out of bandages.

Yeah its a pain; also see when theres an item in those out houses. Go prone, first person and aim at it. Otherwise it just won't appear.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(07-16-2012, 02:23 AM)

Bandit in the dark

Gaffers assembled in Cherno. The grocery store our temporary home. We crawl towards the trees and safety. Shots ring out to our east. The night is lit by flares. We watch as a bandit fends off walkers and hoppers, drawn by the sounds of his murderous rifle. We know this man aims only to kill. Survival at our expense an aim of his.

My scoped rifle finds him easily. Lighted against the night as he backpedals. Anticipating his backpedaling. One bullet finds him. One murderer ended, and the dead feast.

Bushes and Barns

Hunkered in a town. Too close to a main airfield. Waiting for BS, doc, and Nix. Hiding along a wall, in bushes. We've been stalked by G. Newell for days, so caution reigns. A man runs past! Unaware that I lurk. A gaffer? BS calls out that he is here. At the barn. I run towards him. A report of a rifle. Over my shoulder. BS falls in front of me. Dead before he hits the ground. Diving. Swearing profusely to myself. Trapped against an outbuilding. Taunting. From G. Newell, of course. Only a scoped rifle in my hand. Silencing myself. Running! I hear running! So fucking confident that he runs. Staying to the ground I track him. Waiting. A bush provides his cover. Guessing. Guessing I fire. Once. Twice. No more movement I sense. Doc and Nix appear. I circle to G. Newell's hiding place. Dead he lays.

Into the night we retire.

Stand Off

Northeast airfield. Remote. Our current supply base. Yet being remote makes it a destination. In this land, armed only with crossbow, treading by bike. A moon lit night. It betrays a man behind the tower. I signal to abby that a man is here. The man sees me. Calls out, telling me he is lost, hurt. Asks me to heal him. I take a transfusion kit from him. He ails not, no need for blood. A trap, I know. I begin to step away. Seeing Abby in the window. Abby opens fire. The man falls. The dead run towards Abby. I yell at him to stay inside. Yet outside he ventures. The man rises. I fire my crossbow. The damn thing misses. The man fires at Abby, felling him. Protecting me, wrongfully? Or knowing I conspire?

My pistol ends these questions. Every round striking his body. Mob and another make their way to the tower, having run since the man was sighted.

With my bike I flee to the east. Enough death for one night.

City Transport

Elektro. Full of death. Shots ringing out constantly. A bus crashed into a church is my draw. In need of repair. Broken, our mechanic, circling the city for supplies. I take refuge behind the church's sanctuary. Already have I opened fire on a dead man, his body suspended in constant mockery of what life remains. Forced to dispatch dozens of the dead that took notice of my bloodlust. A single grenade saving me. Leaving the vestibule and nave littered with bodies.

For hours I hide behind the altar. Broken rummaging. Then shots ring out. Broken, dead. Longer I sit. Hoppers and walkers congregating outside.

Shots in the distance. The dead, running. A man seeks refuge in this church, dozens of the dead in pursuit. Familiar, this situation. My rifle lets out. And finds not the dead, but a fellow human being. Pleading. I relent not. Stopping only after only I remain within.

Word reaches me that a function vehicle has been found in Green Mountain. No need of repair. This bus now a liability. This church I must leave. No movement. I run outside.

Bullets strike around me. And through me. All because I could no longer stand the thought of guarding a bus from this sanctuary, as it had all been in vain. A man follows me around the corner, firing. I empty my gun towards him. Throw my grenade in his direction. None of it matters. My life, forfeit. Dying meters away from transport. Stranded where civilization once stood. I, a destroyer of life. Ended.

Never High Enough

We've made camp in Cherno. A sanctuary. Mob and I have even helped unarmed survivors make their way out of town, providing morphine and blood to those in need.

Not all appreciate this. They assault our camp. I, collecting supplies. Wizard approaching. Cardigan and another trapped inside the cafe. Two snipers from the grain elevator. Others laying siege to the cafe. I dash into the cafe, one murderer is felled on the stairs above. I throw smoke. A man armed only with pistol draws the dead up the stairs . We exchange fire. He dies at the top of the stairs, the dead focused on his corpse now. A blood transfusion saves Cardigan from near death. Near no window we can travel.

Outside we are joined by Wizard and another gaffer. Wizard provides covering fire as we dash towards the grain elevator. Three directions we take. They, distracted, find us not.I throw smoke to mask us further. Their raining fire has drawn a crowd of shamblers and hoppers. Two of us make it to the grain elevator. Quickly one companion falls off, to death below. Joined by another, we ascend. Wizard sees nothing. Neither do we, this roof clear. And then a man appears, brought only by the air. My pistol quickly ends this bandit. We remain, waiting for any other friends.

Automatic fire overtakes me. From the hills to the north? Perhaps. An odd angle to strike me from. More bullets rip through me. I perish, high above Cherno.

With Goods Comes

Cherno. A decision to fortify. Survivors flocked here. Daylight brings everyone out. Several gaffers guard our camp from the clock tower. But it also brings those who know only greed. Those who only know how to murder to obtain what they perceive as need. Negotiation is beyond their comprehension. A man opens fire upon the camp. A gaffer murdered. Even from outside of Cherno I can hear the repeated cracks of his rifle. I hurry between buildings. Zombies little deterrent. A lone man, wishing us dead, more important. A break in the wall. A man with an assault rifle running away from our camp. He rounds a burned out husk of a truck. My own rifle opens up. The man is knocked to the ground. He fires once, hitting me. Blood flowing. Reloading. Opening up once more. This murderer, dead in the street. And the dead beckon. Noise, drawing them. I am knocked to the ground, passed out. In and out of consciousness. Bullets rip through the dead that are consuming the newly dead man, and who harass my quickly fading body. Gaffers, from camp! Saved, for today.

Campers

Balota is always crawling with the dead. A field hospital draws them. As do the dead strewn across the airfield. I crawl through the airfield. Only a hatchet in hand. Supplies scarce. As if someone had recently been through. Flies buzz. Bodies abound, but it does not phase me. A dead man at the control tower. Recent. Bullets hit the ground around me. Into the tower. A hatchet. All that stands between me and these fiends, hiding in woods. Murderers for sport. I crawl down the side of the tower. Running. Hatchet in hand. The dead in tow. A sniper! And friend! My dead friends take after the friend. I swing at the sniper. My blade finds his body. Into the wind he vanishes. Coward. The dead now lay once more. I continue my hunt. His friend! My hatchet finds his head. I take his rifle. Yet only two steps this rifle gains for me. Shots ring out. And find their mark.

As the light fades from my eyes, the sniper disappears once more into the wind. A coward he remains.

Elevators

Cherno looms before me. An Enfield weighs me down. From the outskirts of town I can hear the report of a rifle. Hear the shrieks of men as they fall. What few of us remain, made fewer by this murdered sheltered above the town. Hardly concealing himself. He fires not once, or twice, but half a dozen times towards me. The shamblers that once pursued me take out in his direction. He continues on. But I've unearthed an AK. Fare thee well, dear Enfield. I keep the heights above in my sight, obscuring myself by building, trees. The ladder! His rifle continues to harass survivors of this plague. Each rung sounds louder and louder as I climb. Pausing not. A man on the clocktower spews blood, struck time and again by the murderer above. Watching while climbing. He, distracted with bloodlust. Greed.

The top! A long climb. My rifle swing around. He, crouched. Stalking others. Stalked himself. Unaware, he walks, as the top most building separates us. I meet him on the other side. Firing. Back around I run. Letting loose with my AK. A bandit, felled. His body hanging, for all of Cherno to see. A warning.

His scoped rifle retrieved. This city safe for a fleeting moment.

Previously: This Darkness
BadTaste
(07-16-2012, 02:32 AM)
Christ, I find a white UAZ in the middle of a forest, I take it and park it next to a tree, and as I exit the vehicle my character clips into said tree and I die instantly.
zon
(07-16-2012, 02:39 AM)
Earlier today I saved a guy from a group of zombies he had aggro'd, as I killed the last ones and got him to safety he thanked me. Then he started asking if I had things I would give him. I didn't answer right away as I had been shot at a minute earlier and didn't know if that guy was still around. I had a friend along who was looking for the shooter. I meet up with my friend nearby inside a barn and he heals me. The guy I saved followed me into the building and asked again if we could give him stuff. As my friend tells him that he doesn't have anything to give (we had spawned at the coast 30 minutes earlier) I got a hunch that this guy would not be good to have around. So... as me and my buddy is looting this guys corpse, I realise that this little fucker had stolen everything inside my backpack!

That was the last time I'm helping a random player in DayZ.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 02:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Megasoum

What's the debug field?

Its like where you character loads into the game before being actually placed into the real map. Sometimes things bug out and you gain control of your character there and you'll see other players characters load in initially and you can kill them and loot their body.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Always love reading these btw.

Originally Posted by zon

Earlier today I saved a guy from a group of zombies he had aggro'd, as I killed the last ones and got him to safety he thanked me. Then he started asking if I had things I would give him. I didn't answer right away as I had been shot at a minute earlier and didn't know if that guy was still around. I had a friend along who was looking for the shooter. I meet up with my friend nearby inside a barn and he heals me. The guy I saved followed me into the building and asked again if we could give him stuff. As my friend tells him that he doesn't have anything to give (we had spawned at the coast 30 minutes earlier) I got a hunch that this guy would not be good to have around. So... as me and my buddy is looting this guys corpse, I realise that this little fucker had stolen everything inside my backpack!

That was the last time I'm helping a random player in DayZ.

The amount of people who play and obviously have no idea what their doing is ridiculous. Some people either run around endlessly and theres others who just sort of stand in one place then probably complain they didn't know what to do!

Its frustrating. Best to help people and then make sure they don't see you again.

I'll sometimes be a helpful 'hidden gunman' - taking out bandits/Z's in towns. Most of the time I keep out of peoples way.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 03:30 AM)
How would you guys feel about Character Classes/Histories. We know that Rocket wants to introduce some kind of skill system into the game and a lot of people a clamoring for greater character creation/backstory control and I think this would work quite well with both of those.

Basically the idea I've been mulling over for the day is that, long term, when you start a new character and enter the game along with prompt for sex, you get to choose three other things along with it.

First Selection: Your Profession. There would probably be like a dozen of these. Things like Teacher, Fireman, Policeman, Student, IT, EMT, Dog Walker, Barista, Grocery Clerk, etc.
This would entail a few things, first you appearance would vary depending on profession. Secondly your starting gear would vary depending on profession. No profession would start out with a firearm, even cops, theyd get like a baton. A Fireman would start out with say a hatchet, Teacher could have one of those paper cutter blades, etc. But then like a Grocery Clerk wouldnt get a weapon, but instead would start out with say 2 things of beans and two sodas. So mostly minor variations that add flavor more than a clear leg up.
Second & Third Selections: Your Hobbies. You would choose a major and a minor hobby. Like Running, Swimming, Baseball, or Hunting.
Both hobbies will provide you with a perk and a hindrance, Major being a "major" perk/hindrance and minor being a "minor" perk/hindrance. Neither should be all that dramatic or provide a serious advantage in any way, but are mot for flavor and specific player styles. Like a runner can catch their breather faster after running, thus steadying their weapon sooner, say 1.2 times faster than non-runners, but their metabolism also increases by say 1.3 times the average player. So while they may recover from running sooner, they need to eat more often.

Not all Hobbies need to provide you with permanent perks/hindrances. Some can be purely material like you start out with a compass, but youre spawned in the middle of nowhere far to the north or in the middle of the ocean. The main point of it all would to provide subtle but interesting difference between character starts, giving players more a roleplaying experience.
Most of this is not at all possible right now, but down the line, most likely on ArmA III and most likely a large, more dynamic map, this could all work out quite well. Especially with a solid skill system to compliment it and provide players further incentives in protecting their characters, investing in them and roleplaying more seriously.