• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 01:31 AM)
Boats are very very disappointing.
Megasoum
Banned
(07-16-2012, 01:41 AM)
Megasoum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enduin

No, the friendly fire thing only comes up when someone kills another player in the debug field which is a big no-no.

What's the debug field?
NH Apache
Member
(07-16-2012, 01:45 AM)
NH Apache's Avatar
Can you really die from closing a door on yourself? This just happened to me after finding a weapon for the first time.

http://youtu.be/KVNAi-0FEss?hd=1

And I had run out of bandages.
gutabo
Member
(07-16-2012, 01:52 AM)
gutabo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

The lack of a FP view kinda throws them off for me. Plus zombies seem to be able to hit you from further away then you can with melee weapon and they just use their arms. Its a weird system lol

Use the hatchet/crowbar as a very short gun with an effective range of 2 to 6 meters(yeah, not so close to you). You can hit zombies without getting hit, it's easier inside a building. If you don't have food you can make some zombies follow you inside a house, kill them and sooner or later they will give you a can of food or soda or a bandage.


Originally Posted by NH Apache

Can you really die from closing a door on yourself? This just happened to me after finding a weapon for the first time.

Yes, you can. Doors, ladders, even rocks can be deadly. Once I tried to crawl to get through a narrow passage, I broke many bones and died almost instantly.
RadioActiveLobster
Member
(07-16-2012, 01:57 AM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar
To be perfectly honest Doors, ladders and stair cases are more deadly than infected or people.
ZenVolta
Member
(07-16-2012, 02:04 AM)
ZenVolta's Avatar
Iv been eaten by walls a hand full of times.

http://youtu.be/kIMZKI957x4 Skip to 2:16
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by NH Apache

Can you really die from closing a door on yourself? This just happened to me after finding a weapon for the first time.

http://youtu.be/KVNAi-0FEss?hd=1

And I had run out of bandages.

Yeah its a pain; also see when theres an item in those out houses. Go prone, first person and aim at it. Otherwise it just won't appear.
WedgeX
Banned
(07-16-2012, 02:23 AM)
WedgeX's Avatar


Bandit in the dark

Gaffers assembled in Cherno. The grocery store our temporary home. We crawl towards the trees and safety. Shots ring out to our east. The night is lit by flares. We watch as a bandit fends off walkers and hoppers, drawn by the sounds of his murderous rifle. We know this man aims only to kill. Survival at our expense an aim of his.

My scoped rifle finds him easily. Lighted against the night as he backpedals. Anticipating his backpedaling. One bullet finds him. One murderer ended, and the dead feast.

Bushes and Barns

Hunkered in a town. Too close to a main airfield. Waiting for BS, doc, and Nix. Hiding along a wall, in bushes. We've been stalked by G. Newell for days, so caution reigns. A man runs past! Unaware that I lurk. A gaffer? BS calls out that he is here. At the barn. I run towards him. A report of a rifle. Over my shoulder. BS falls in front of me. Dead before he hits the ground. Diving. Swearing profusely to myself. Trapped against an outbuilding. Taunting. From G. Newell, of course. Only a scoped rifle in my hand. Silencing myself. Running! I hear running! So fucking confident that he runs. Staying to the ground I track him. Waiting. A bush provides his cover. Guessing. Guessing I fire. Once. Twice. No more movement I sense. Doc and Nix appear. I circle to G. Newell's hiding place. Dead he lays.

Into the night we retire.

Stand Off

Northeast airfield. Remote. Our current supply base. Yet being remote makes it a destination. In this land, armed only with crossbow, treading by bike. A moon lit night. It betrays a man behind the tower. I signal to abby that a man is here. The man sees me. Calls out, telling me he is lost, hurt. Asks me to heal him. I take a transfusion kit from him. He ails not, no need for blood. A trap, I know. I begin to step away. Seeing Abby in the window. Abby opens fire. The man falls. The dead run towards Abby. I yell at him to stay inside. Yet outside he ventures. The man rises. I fire my crossbow. The damn thing misses. The man fires at Abby, felling him. Protecting me, wrongfully? Or knowing I conspire?

My pistol ends these questions. Every round striking his body. Mob and another make their way to the tower, having run since the man was sighted.

With my bike I flee to the east. Enough death for one night.

City Transport

Elektro. Full of death. Shots ringing out constantly. A bus crashed into a church is my draw. In need of repair. Broken, our mechanic, circling the city for supplies. I take refuge behind the church's sanctuary. Already have I opened fire on a dead man, his body suspended in constant mockery of what life remains. Forced to dispatch dozens of the dead that took notice of my bloodlust. A single grenade saving me. Leaving the vestibule and nave littered with bodies.

For hours I hide behind the altar. Broken rummaging. Then shots ring out. Broken, dead. Longer I sit. Hoppers and walkers congregating outside.

Shots in the distance. The dead, running. A man seeks refuge in this church, dozens of the dead in pursuit. Familiar, this situation. My rifle lets out. And finds not the dead, but a fellow human being. Pleading. I relent not. Stopping only after only I remain within.

Word reaches me that a function vehicle has been found in Green Mountain. No need of repair. This bus now a liability. This church I must leave. No movement. I run outside.

Bullets strike around me. And through me. All because I could no longer stand the thought of guarding a bus from this sanctuary, as it had all been in vain. A man follows me around the corner, firing. I empty my gun towards him. Throw my grenade in his direction. None of it matters. My life, forfeit. Dying meters away from transport. Stranded where civilization once stood. I, a destroyer of life. Ended.

Never High Enough

We've made camp in Cherno. A sanctuary. Mob and I have even helped unarmed survivors make their way out of town, providing morphine and blood to those in need.

Not all appreciate this. They assault our camp. I, collecting supplies. Wizard approaching. Cardigan and another trapped inside the cafe. Two snipers from the grain elevator. Others laying siege to the cafe. I dash into the cafe, one murderer is felled on the stairs above. I throw smoke. A man armed only with pistol draws the dead up the stairs . We exchange fire. He dies at the top of the stairs, the dead focused on his corpse now. A blood transfusion saves Cardigan from near death. Near no window we can travel.

Outside we are joined by Wizard and another gaffer. Wizard provides covering fire as we dash towards the grain elevator. Three directions we take. They, distracted, find us not.I throw smoke to mask us further. Their raining fire has drawn a crowd of shamblers and hoppers. Two of us make it to the grain elevator. Quickly one companion falls off, to death below. Joined by another, we ascend. Wizard sees nothing. Neither do we, this roof clear. And then a man appears, brought only by the air. My pistol quickly ends this bandit. We remain, waiting for any other friends.

Automatic fire overtakes me. From the hills to the north? Perhaps. An odd angle to strike me from. More bullets rip through me. I perish, high above Cherno.

With Goods Comes

Cherno. A decision to fortify. Survivors flocked here. Daylight brings everyone out. Several gaffers guard our camp from the clock tower. But it also brings those who know only greed. Those who only know how to murder to obtain what they perceive as need. Negotiation is beyond their comprehension. A man opens fire upon the camp. A gaffer murdered. Even from outside of Cherno I can hear the repeated cracks of his rifle. I hurry between buildings. Zombies little deterrent. A lone man, wishing us dead, more important. A break in the wall. A man with an assault rifle running away from our camp. He rounds a burned out husk of a truck. My own rifle opens up. The man is knocked to the ground. He fires once, hitting me. Blood flowing. Reloading. Opening up once more. This murderer, dead in the street. And the dead beckon. Noise, drawing them. I am knocked to the ground, passed out. In and out of consciousness. Bullets rip through the dead that are consuming the newly dead man, and who harass my quickly fading body. Gaffers, from camp! Saved, for today.

Campers

Balota is always crawling with the dead. A field hospital draws them. As do the dead strewn across the airfield. I crawl through the airfield. Only a hatchet in hand. Supplies scarce. As if someone had recently been through. Flies buzz. Bodies abound, but it does not phase me. A dead man at the control tower. Recent. Bullets hit the ground around me. Into the tower. A hatchet. All that stands between me and these fiends, hiding in woods. Murderers for sport. I crawl down the side of the tower. Running. Hatchet in hand. The dead in tow. A sniper! And friend! My dead friends take after the friend. I swing at the sniper. My blade finds his body. Into the wind he vanishes. Coward. The dead now lay once more. I continue my hunt. His friend! My hatchet finds his head. I take his rifle. Yet only two steps this rifle gains for me. Shots ring out. And find their mark.

As the light fades from my eyes, the sniper disappears once more into the wind. A coward he remains.

Elevators

Cherno looms before me. An Enfield weighs me down. From the outskirts of town I can hear the report of a rifle. Hear the shrieks of men as they fall. What few of us remain, made fewer by this murdered sheltered above the town. Hardly concealing himself. He fires not once, or twice, but half a dozen times towards me. The shamblers that once pursued me take out in his direction. He continues on. But I've unearthed an AK. Fare thee well, dear Enfield. I keep the heights above in my sight, obscuring myself by building, trees. The ladder! His rifle continues to harass survivors of this plague. Each rung sounds louder and louder as I climb. Pausing not. A man on the clocktower spews blood, struck time and again by the murderer above. Watching while climbing. He, distracted with bloodlust. Greed.

The top! A long climb. My rifle swing around. He, crouched. Stalking others. Stalked himself. Unaware, he walks, as the top most building separates us. I meet him on the other side. Firing. Back around I run. Letting loose with my AK. A bandit, felled. His body hanging, for all of Cherno to see. A warning.

His scoped rifle retrieved. This city safe for a fleeting moment.

Previously: This Darkness
BadTaste
Member
(07-16-2012, 02:32 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar
Christ, I find a white UAZ in the middle of a forest, I take it and park it next to a tree, and as I exit the vehicle my character clips into said tree and I die instantly.
zon
Member
(07-16-2012, 02:39 AM)
zon's Avatar
Earlier today I saved a guy from a group of zombies he had aggro'd, as I killed the last ones and got him to safety he thanked me. Then he started asking if I had things I would give him. I didn't answer right away as I had been shot at a minute earlier and didn't know if that guy was still around. I had a friend along who was looking for the shooter. I meet up with my friend nearby inside a barn and he heals me. The guy I saved followed me into the building and asked again if we could give him stuff. As my friend tells him that he doesn't have anything to give (we had spawned at the coast 30 minutes earlier) I got a hunch that this guy would not be good to have around. So... as me and my buddy is looting this guys corpse, I realise that this little fucker had stolen everything inside my backpack!

That was the last time I'm helping a random player in DayZ.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 02:44 AM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

What's the debug field?

Its like where you character loads into the game before being actually placed into the real map. Sometimes things bug out and you gain control of your character there and you'll see other players characters load in initially and you can kill them and loot their body.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Always love reading these btw.

Originally Posted by zon

Earlier today I saved a guy from a group of zombies he had aggro'd, as I killed the last ones and got him to safety he thanked me. Then he started asking if I had things I would give him. I didn't answer right away as I had been shot at a minute earlier and didn't know if that guy was still around. I had a friend along who was looking for the shooter. I meet up with my friend nearby inside a barn and he heals me. The guy I saved followed me into the building and asked again if we could give him stuff. As my friend tells him that he doesn't have anything to give (we had spawned at the coast 30 minutes earlier) I got a hunch that this guy would not be good to have around. So... as me and my buddy is looting this guys corpse, I realise that this little fucker had stolen everything inside my backpack!

That was the last time I'm helping a random player in DayZ.

The amount of people who play and obviously have no idea what their doing is ridiculous. Some people either run around endlessly and theres others who just sort of stand in one place then probably complain they didn't know what to do!

Its frustrating. Best to help people and then make sure they don't see you again.

I'll sometimes be a helpful 'hidden gunman' - taking out bandits/Z's in towns. Most of the time I keep out of peoples way.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 03:30 AM)
Enduin's Avatar
How would you guys feel about Character Classes/Histories. We know that Rocket wants to introduce some kind of skill system into the game and a lot of people a clamoring for greater character creation/backstory control and I think this would work quite well with both of those.

Basically the idea I've been mulling over for the day is that, long term, when you start a new character and enter the game along with prompt for sex, you get to choose three other things along with it.

First Selection: Your Profession. There would probably be like a dozen of these. Things like Teacher, Fireman, Policeman, Student, IT, EMT, Dog Walker, Barista, Grocery Clerk, etc.
This would entail a few things, first you appearance would vary depending on profession. Secondly your starting gear would vary depending on profession. No profession would start out with a firearm, even cops, theyd get like a baton. A Fireman would start out with say a hatchet, Teacher could have one of those paper cutter blades, etc. But then like a Grocery Clerk wouldnt get a weapon, but instead would start out with say 2 things of beans and two sodas. So mostly minor variations that add flavor more than a clear leg up.
Second & Third Selections: Your Hobbies. You would choose a major and a minor hobby. Like Running, Swimming, Baseball, or Hunting.
Both hobbies will provide you with a perk and a hindrance, Major being a "major" perk/hindrance and minor being a "minor" perk/hindrance. Neither should be all that dramatic or provide a serious advantage in any way, but are mot for flavor and specific player styles. Like a runner can catch their breather faster after running, thus steadying their weapon sooner, say 1.2 times faster than non-runners, but their metabolism also increases by say 1.3 times the average player. So while they may recover from running sooner, they need to eat more often.

Not all Hobbies need to provide you with permanent perks/hindrances. Some can be purely material like you start out with a compass, but youre spawned in the middle of nowhere far to the north or in the middle of the ocean. The main point of it all would to provide subtle but interesting difference between character starts, giving players more a roleplaying experience.
Most of this is not at all possible right now, but down the line, most likely on ArmA III and most likely a large, more dynamic map, this could all work out quite well. Especially with a solid skill system to compliment it and provide players further incentives in protecting their characters, investing in them and roleplaying more seriously.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 03:36 AM)
I don't like 'preset skill' selection. It should adapt as you play. Small differences though, nothing too big.

I would like diaries. So if you die someone else might pick it up and take it on.


One thing I like is combining my ammo - so stuff involving creation and crafting I would LOVE. Having to build weapons up or repair them etc. would be cool too.


Adding more 'value' to a character overall would be good, but I think it has to be personal - and not too much on gaining a combat advantage over other players.

They'd have to really build on the game though before doing anything like that. I'd be really against any 'skill selection' screen though - am still not sure why its in modern games, always seemed daft to me.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(07-16-2012, 03:44 AM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by grimshawish

I don't like 'preset skill' selection. It should adapt as you play. Small differences though, nothing too big.

I would like diaries. So if you die someone else might pick it up and take it on.


One thing I like is combining my ammo - so stuff involving creation and crafting I would LOVE. Having to build weapons up or repair them etc. would be cool too.


Adding more 'value' to a character overall would be good, but I think it has to be personal - and not too much on gaining a combat advantage over other players.

They'd have to really build on the game though before doing anything like that. I'd be really against any 'skill selection' screen though - am still not sure why its in modern games, always seemed daft to me.

As far as I can tell from what little Rocket has said on the subject he did seem to be more interested in a skill system akin to that of TES series, where it was mostly based on players actions rather than some vague skill point system. So the more you kill zombies youll improve some aspect of that. You kill a lot of animals and gut them you may get a skill upgrade that provides you with an extra steak. Shit like that, so you wouldnt actually be selecting anything from a menu, it would just automatically occur after doing X, Y number of times and you can see a notice or something that it occurred but thats it, you wouldnt know when the next one would occur or not or how.

Which is again why the Profession/Hobbies I propose are mostly benign things that only result in minor differences that really only affect the player themselves and their connection to the character than the actual core gameplay or interaction with other players. Most of it would be more a placebo than anything else. Whatever permanent perk/hindrance you selected wouldnt offer any real noticeable difference, but the player would inherently believe there was a difference, possibly modify their behavior and possibly become more attached to said character as a result because they feel the character is more unique and valuable. Which would only be reinforced as they cultivated their various skill.
Oxigen_Waste
Banned
(07-16-2012, 05:14 AM)
Ok, that's it, I've had it with this game. The mod is great, but the ARMA II interface is a mess and I'm constantly having problems with the damn game.

By the way, this one I can't understand: I can run the singleplayer campaing game on normal settings and it plays just fine, without any slowdowns whatsoever... but as soon as I go online to play DayZ it only works on low unless I want to play in slomo (which then evolves into a different problem as the 3d resolution on low means everything goes blurry and the game becomes unplayable).
Arment
Member
(07-16-2012, 06:38 AM)
Arment's Avatar
Had my first death that raged me a bit today. I had a AK-74 with 7 clips, m1911 with 8 clips, alice bag, tons of blood and morphine and food and water. All the tools like Binoculars, matches, knife and gps. Was getting ready to go north. I spawned in Cherno on the top level of the firetower and got sniped from somewhere far off.

I deserved it by all means. Killed the guy who was up there because he had a Ak-74 Kobra. Before I could loot it I was sniped. It's karma I guess. And I shouldn't have logged out there. But it was tempting to be where the loots at right at the start.

Already bounced back though. I have a AKS-74U and a m1911 I found off a body in the tower. Must have gotten sniped too. One trip to the hospital and I should be ready to get the hell out of Cherno and go north. A couple of my buddies were equally geared and just need to log on.
childplease
Banned
(07-16-2012, 06:38 AM)
I murdered like 10 people today in the span of an hour this morning.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(07-16-2012, 06:39 AM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar
We had a 5-man group hoofing it to Elektro to look for antibiotics for an infected member. We came over the hill above Factory and there were 5 guys standing around a UAZ. Everybody dropped to firing positions and we obliterated them. Was so much fun, lol.

We got the UAZ loaded with gear, pack upgrades, weapon upgrades, two sets of camo, a set of NV goggles, was a nice haul. Then we spent the rest of the night driving around the server in their UAZ.

Never did find any antibiotics, that stuff is rare. Figured we'd just stash his gear in a tent and kill him if we had to.
I Stalk Alone
Banned
(07-16-2012, 07:03 AM)

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Cool. Cool. Sounds like The Road, with zombies.

Thats kind of what I want The Last of Us to be like.
DTKT
Member
(07-16-2012, 07:04 AM)
DTKT's Avatar
I have the habit of logging out in terrible spots. Like near the Powerplant, that was so dumb.

I really need to force myself to stop doing.
Gustav
Banned
(07-16-2012, 11:23 AM)
Gustav's Avatar

Originally Posted by gibon3z

I murdered like 10 people today in the span of an hour this morning.

I hope the police finds you.
‹bermatik
Member
(07-16-2012, 11:27 AM)
‹bermatik's Avatar

Originally Posted by gibon3z

I murdered like 10 people today in the span of an hour this morning.

I hope you're on about the game.

Bah, beaten, kinda.
nero2082
Member
(07-16-2012, 02:33 PM)
nero2082's Avatar
check this one out, I was crying while watching this, sociopaths exist in this land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVXSS37ZlYE
goonergaz
Member
(07-16-2012, 03:02 PM)
goonergaz's Avatar
So I had my first 'proper' play last night. My son had taken my character to where he & his mates were (at some castle ruin - Rog Por?) anyway, having a look around I found a shot-gun (for some reason the crowbar I had didn't seem to be working?) anyway - I suddenly got jumped by a zombie to learn my first rule: Don't shoot unless you have to! lol

Anyway, we dispatched the zombies that I attracted and we set off to Electro where my son had found a bus and had been collecting the parts required to fix it. So having made our way to town they fixed up the bus and we set of back to the ruin to pick up the rest of the group.

We then set off for the North-West airfield - thankfully they had someone who could read a map (me) and I directed them to the petrol station at Staroye - I scout for supplies - no joy. From there we set off to the airfield only to hit something at Stary and so we need to repair the bus - I'm feeling adventurous (dispite the warnings this is a dangerous area) and so I check around for some loot - find a few bits - a watch and food, I keep looking with the sound of shots in the distance.

Then I notice a buidling with 3 doors one which was open (I later learn this is the store) - I walk in and there's a chap on the ground (dead maybe?) then I notice another guy in the room opposite firing at the guy on the ground - oops, looks like I just walked into a firefight lol. I ask if anyone is firing and there's no replies from our group - however the guy on the floor looks like one of us and the one in the far room def looks different (darker clothing) so I open fire on that guy only for the guy on the ground to turn and shoot me! lol

The moral of the story? Until the bandit system is fixed - don't trust anyone! Also it'd be nice to have clearer indications as to who is who, in the real world you could do things and you'd notice little things - in this game it's like shoot first ask later...which is a shame.

I was about to start again but then realised that the game had absorbed 2 1/2 hours of time in the blink of an eye and it was too late to start again :(

Fantastic game - dripping with atmosphere - can't wait to play again...
HaRyu
Member
(07-16-2012, 03:19 PM)
HaRyu's Avatar
So on the GAF server... are the piles of loot in Stary Sober's tent area a GAF trap, or a non-GAF trap?

I know it was nighttime on the server, and I know there wasnt a lot of players on, but anything like that setup just screams "TRAP". I managed to look through at least two piles of loot, although all I got was a Makarov. Then I got out of there as fast as I could.
ZenVolta
Member
(07-16-2012, 03:33 PM)
ZenVolta's Avatar

Originally Posted by goonergaz

Also it'd be nice to have clearer indications as to who is who, in the real world you could do things and you'd notice little things - in this game it's like shoot first ask later...which is a shame.

My thoughts exactly. Iv looked into the squad url thing and that only seems to add a logo to vehicles when a squad member is in it.

Id like to see a patch added to the back of the player and one on the arm. I mean thats realistic, right?
grimshawish
Banned
(07-16-2012, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

My thoughts exactly. Iv looked into the squad url thing and that only seems to add a logo to vehicles when a squad member is in it.

Id like to see a patch added to the back of the player and one on the arm. I mean thats realistic, right?

They should have clothing colours. That way you can chose your colours and yes maybe a logo. People could copy but then thats life I suppose. Change colours to keep it fresh and confuse bandits.

Meanwhile it adds another aspect to the game.
NH Apache
Member
(07-16-2012, 04:04 PM)
NH Apache's Avatar
Ended up hiking up the western map border until had my fill of Sound of Music atmosphere and ended up cutting east towards the NW Airfield.

I'm cruising up this grassy mountaintop (weaponless, mind you) and stumble upon 4 tents and 5 dead bodies full of nice things.

Scoured the tents and picked up an AKM, blood and some other supplies. I was concerned the area was a trap, but as I had high ground I figured I could make a move to the treeline and get out of sight if necessary. Everything remained quiet though, and I moved on westward towards the airfield with my new-found goodies.

As I dropped in altitude, I finally was able to gain visual of the airport. I was immediately reminded of scale in this game. The airstrip is literally close to a mile long. I snuck down the western wall, keenly aware of the existence of scoped rifles, an asset I did not carry. As I knew the area's reputation and the combined effect of having a nearly full US38, there was no way in hell I was going to cross that deathzone. Observing the real life time, I decided to back off and set up camp as I knew the darkness of night would be my greatest ally.

--

Weapon play seems nice, even if the only thing I've shot so far is a wild cow, roaming in the middle of no-where. I've had no contact with anyone else in this game; I've been playing it safe. But, now that I have a weapon, it may be time to scout a town or two. As others have said, the atmosphere combined with the music/effects is very impressive.
HaRyu
Member
(07-16-2012, 04:09 PM)
HaRyu's Avatar

Originally Posted by NH Apache

Weapon play seems nice, even if the only thing I've shot so far is a wild cow, roaming in the middle of no-where.

Cows can be pretty dangerous, you know.
NaM
Does not have twelve inches...
(07-16-2012, 04:15 PM)
NaM's Avatar

Originally Posted by goonergaz

So I had my first 'proper' play last night. My son had taken my character to where he & his mates were (at some castle ruin - Rog Por?) anyway, having a look around I found a shot-gun (for some reason the crowbar I had didn't seem to be working?) anyway - I suddenly got jumped by a zombie to learn my first rule: Don't shoot unless you have to! lol

Anyway, we dispatched the zombies that I attracted and we set off to Electro where my son had found a bus and had been collecting the parts required to fix it. So having made our way to town they fixed up the bus and we set of back to the ruin to pick up the rest of the group.

We then set off for the North-West airfield - thankfully they had someone who could read a map (me) and I directed them to the petrol station at Staroye - I scout for supplies - no joy. From there we set off to the airfield only to hit something at Stary and so we need to repair the bus - I'm feeling adventurous (dispite the warnings this is a dangerous area) and so I check around for some loot - find a few bits - a watch and food, I keep looking with the sound of shots in the distance.

Then I notice a buidling with 3 doors one which was open (I later learn this is the store) - I walk in and there's a chap on the ground (dead maybe?) then I notice another guy in the room opposite firing at the guy on the ground - oops, looks like I just walked into a firefight lol. I ask if anyone is firing and there's no replies from our group - however the guy on the floor looks like one of us and the one in the far room def looks different (darker clothing) so I open fire on that guy only for the guy on the ground to turn and shoot me! lol

The moral of the story? Until the bandit system is fixed - don't trust anyone! Also it'd be nice to have clearer indications as to who is who, in the real world you could do things and you'd notice little things - in this game it's like shoot first ask later...which is a shame.

I was about to start again but then realised that the game had absorbed 2 1/2 hours of time in the blink of an eye and it was too late to start again :(

Fantastic game - dripping with atmosphere - can't wait to play again...

Thanks for this, I'm buying it ASAP.
NH Apache
Member
(07-16-2012, 04:16 PM)
NH Apache's Avatar

Originally Posted by HaRyu

Cows can be pretty dangerous, you know.

Haha, one of the bovines tried that shit last night on me and I dropped a grenade and ran.

Might have been a little overkill.
Nemic77
Member
(07-16-2012, 04:17 PM)
Nemic77's Avatar

Originally Posted by HaRyu

So on the GAF server... are the piles of loot in Stary Sober's tent area a GAF trap, or a non-GAF trap?

I know it was nighttime on the server, and I know there wasnt a lot of players on, but anything like that setup just screams "TRAP". I managed to look through at least two piles of loot, although all I got was a Makarov. Then I got out of there as fast as I could.

Looks like someone was loot cycling in that spot. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a trap. It's still pretty unnerving though. :P
AlimNassor
Banned
(07-16-2012, 04:27 PM)
AlimNassor's Avatar
Helped some guys clear out the airfield. They ended up dieing from being swarmed by zombies. I gave them a proper funeral by taking their loot.
equap
Banned
(07-16-2012, 04:43 PM)
can you just build a vault to hold your stuff?
verbatimo
Member
(07-16-2012, 04:53 PM)
verbatimo's Avatar
removed
RazorUK
Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
(07-16-2012, 04:53 PM)
RazorUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by equap

can you just build a vault to hold your stuff?

The only current way is by camping kits but anyone can open them and take stuff as they want.

After being a survivor for about 20 hours, I got my first murder by setting an empty tent in the open and a trap, then waited for someone to come and open it. Was a bit mean but was pretty hilarious.
Felix Lighter
Member
(07-16-2012, 05:02 PM)
Felix Lighter's Avatar
It's funny how following this thread has turned me on and off to this mod so many times in the last few weeks. A week ago, I was certain I was going to buy ARMA II CO as soon as there was a deal but some negative feedback put me back on the fence. Now I'm leaning towards trying it again.
Arment
Member
(07-16-2012, 05:03 PM)
Arment's Avatar

Originally Posted by verbatimo

.

I'm surprised you're posting a spoiler pic.
Doppelganger
Junior Member
(07-16-2012, 05:21 PM)
Doppelganger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woo-Fu

Never did find any antibiotics, that stuff is rare. Figured we'd just stash his gear in a tent and kill him if we had to.


I've found antibiotics in the military hospital tents in cherno a few times.
verbatimo
Member
(07-16-2012, 05:27 PM)
verbatimo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arment

I'm surprised you're posting a spoiler pic.

Sorry, took it down.
Jerrod
Member
(07-16-2012, 05:29 PM)
Jerrod's Avatar

Originally Posted by wolfmat

I got used to it. I guess you have to crawl more now. But the line-of-sight thing really works sorta okay. Just gotta be quiet and stuff. Weather also makes a difference.

As for loot, head to Berezino and farm farms along the way. Never had a problem doing that.

I guess I got back into the swing of things. I got some decent loot and made my way to the NW airfield except when I was at nearly full health a zombie hit me once and broke my legs. Does morphine spawn anywhere at the NW airfield?

I do like some of the new additions though, mainly being able to lose zombies. I just run through buildings or garages that have 2 entrances and easily lose them which I love. Also the line of sight thing is kind of cool as I can crouch walk pretty close behind zombies without them knowing, I just hate it how zombies that are so far away they don't appear for me yet can see me if I'm crouching and will run from a mile to get me. I wish zombies were much slower.
Jburton
Banned
(07-16-2012, 05:30 PM)
Jburton's Avatar
Need this game, what do I need?

.... cheap as possible please chums, just spent all my money on components :) :(
HaRyu
Member
(07-16-2012, 05:42 PM)
HaRyu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nemic77

Looks like someone was loot cycling in that spot. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a trap. It's still pretty unnerving though. :P

There were several piles of loot in a row, and one end of that stretch of tents was blocked off by barbed wire and steel tank traps. I only looked in two piles of loot, but they had sone decent rifles on there (only one makarov pistol though, which i took)

It probably was a trap, but maybe setup way earlier. In any case. yeah, I didnt want to stay around long.
NH Apache
Member
(07-16-2012, 06:08 PM)
NH Apache's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jburton

Need this game, what do I need?

.... cheap as possible please chums, just spent all my money on components :) :(

Easiest way is 23 bucks for Arm2 Combined Ops.

Alternatively, you can use Arma 2 Free and Operation Arrowhead (16 bucks) but you'll be stuck with low res textures.

Best way to do it is to buy Arma2 CO and then download http://www.dayzmod.com/?SixUpdater and Dayz will auto install patches. Then just type in gaf in the server search and game on.
Jburton
Banned
(07-16-2012, 06:15 PM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by NH Apache

Easiest way is 23 bucks for Arm2 Combined Ops.

Alternatively, you can use Arma 2 Free and Operation Arrowhead (16 bucks) but you'll be stuck with low res textures.

Best way to do it is to buy Arma2 CO and then download http://www.dayzmod.com/?SixUpdater and Dayz will auto install patches. Then just type in gaf in the server search and game on.


Thanks for the heads up.
paperboywriter
Member
(07-16-2012, 06:22 PM)
paperboywriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrowTRobot



The latest Adventure... Being in Elektro when basically unarmed is nerve racking.

how is it possible to make such maps?
RadioActiveLobster
Member
(07-16-2012, 06:37 PM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar

Originally Posted by paperboywriter

how is it possible to make such maps?

Photoshop and trying to remember where I've been in game.
cametall
Member
(07-16-2012, 06:42 PM)
cametall's Avatar
How janky is the game play now compared to videos from 3+ months ago? Sometimes the zombies teleport or don't react in the YouTube videos I've been watching.

They also look incredibly fast.

Thread Tools