• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TheNiX
Member
(07-18-2012, 07:58 PM)
TheNiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by RyanDG

Easiest way to find out is to load up steam and download ARMAII Free. It should give you an idea of what to expect.

Not really. ArmA2 Free is an outdated piece of crap in comparison.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(07-18-2012, 10:31 PM)
WedgeX's Avatar

Originally Posted by goonergaz

Another tense night last night.

Went to meet the group at Cherno, en route they were double-crossed by an old ally (who killed my son and I guess stole his decent kit) however I continue to slowly and surely make my way into town...eventually I found myself lying on the floor across the road from the store - suddenly I see a player run in so I hang back - waiting for several mins I see a message pop up that the double-crosser had been killed...was that who just entered the store?

A few mins later I thought WTH and slowly make my way in, I find a cross-bow and one arrow...finally a weapon!! So then my son walks in and suggests I go to the church - inside some git has barb-wired it but I managed to get over it and find a shot-gun! Wahoo! I'm ready to quit but my son nags me on hearing the death of the double-crosser...we check, he's offline - my son want's to try and sind the stuff he would have nicked from him...so he tells me to to outside where I come face-to-face with another player "freindly" I say "blam" he says - dead again! Another 2 hours gone - time to retire for the evening!

Now I came across a few frustrations. Firstly as you don't have a weapon and you can't use fists/kicks you are totally defenceless against the zombies...and often you can alert them even when being incredibly careful - I think this needs tweeking. Also, there's no way of telling which buildings you can get into...let's face it, most houses would be broken into but if there's a limitation in the engine maybe the houses that can't be entered should be boarded or something? It just makes escaping the already super-fast zombies even harder - but man this game is so addictive and time-zapping! The atmosphere really get's my adrenalyn going, shame my son is just too hap-hazard in his approach (which cost me my life).

Dude. Your son was murdered. And he once cost you your life. These are stories that need to be told. In depth.

edit: top of the page, so quote this for mumble info!

Last edited by WedgeX; 07-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Jburton
Member
(07-18-2012, 11:57 PM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by goonergaz

yes (didn't see this answered)

What are the gaf server details?
paperboywriter
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:23 AM)
paperboywriter's Avatar
did someone noticed this on steam:

Day Z Mod
The Day Z Mod requires Arma II: Combined Operations which is made up of Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead

NH Apache
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:30 AM)
NH Apache's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jburton

What are the gaf server details?

US 38, but just search gaf

I exited the church in this little town I had come upon, and everything was grey. I had lost so much bloood I kept passing out every 5 minutes. The little sunlight there was in the fierce thunderstorm nearly blinded me.

I leave holy ground and as I pass the large fence I hear a gunshot - close. I turn and there he was lying prone not 15 yards away.

I, in my greyed stupor, didn't see him until he shot again at me and missed. I took a couple shots with my newlyfound winchester but to no avail. One shot and I was toast.

_Rip Apache #2
HaRyu
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:38 AM)
HaRyu's Avatar

Originally Posted by paperboywriter

did someone noticed this on steam:

So many people are buying it for Dayz, so its probably safe to assume a lot of people are confused as to what's needed. :P
paperboywriter
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:49 AM)
paperboywriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by HaRyu

So many people are buying it for Dayz, so its probably safe to assume a lot of people are confused as to what's needed. :P

I think it's the first time I can recall a dev actually using a mod as a bulletpoint in the marketing of a game. pretty much a amazing thing.
Jburton
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:50 AM)
Jburton's Avatar
I can't download the operation arrow 1.61 beta patch, it brings me to a a site that requires a login and password.

Got DayZ working just can't join any servers due not having 1.61 ( could not join Gaf server for this reason)
littleworm
Member
(07-19-2012, 01:04 AM)
littleworm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jburton

I can't download the operation arrow 1.61 beta patch, it brings me to a a site that requires a login and password.

Got DayZ working just can't join any servers due not having 1.61 ( could not join Gaf server for this reason)

Just keep trying, it'll let you download it eventually. Also make sure you have the newest version of BattleEye.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(07-19-2012, 01:15 AM)
WedgeX's Avatar
Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.
paperboywriter
Member
(07-19-2012, 01:17 AM)
paperboywriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.

happend to me a view days back. kinda weird.
TheNiX
Member
(07-19-2012, 01:18 AM)
TheNiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.

ADMIN ABUSE! ADMIN ABUSE!
grimshawish
Banned
(07-19-2012, 01:22 AM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.

haha - nice!
These things go both ways though, I went prone on a balcony and got 'popped' into the middle of the air and fell to my death :( Did once crash and come back to find I was no longer infected, which was nice.

------------------

Oh and got a scary meetin the other day - was following the North coast, looking for that nice military boat, and I find this wee rubbish fishing boat. Check it out - its out of fuel (or stuck on the coast, it showed some fuel and the engine was running, but wouldn't move). Get out to go get fuel. See a figure in the woods, hes firing a silence sniper at me.

He was rubbish but I couldn't get a straight shot at him; tried to move to a tree line - didn't think he'd seen me but then I got shot, so not really sure what happened (his bullets were falling short, so moving forward was probably my mistake).

I had a sniper as well, but never had the time/room to get it out. :(


Can't tell if someone found my tent or not - any gaffers swap their AK for a shotgun at a tent recently. I can't remember if I died with the AK later and the shotgun is mine, or what :D
Jburton
Member
(07-19-2012, 01:40 AM)
Jburton's Avatar
Got in, very confusing .... So you start with no weapons or items?

Lol!


Anyway, a bit tired and a bit late .... Will give it some real attention tomorrow night, thanks to all those that helped me get this far.
Soule
Member
(07-19-2012, 01:42 AM)
Soule's Avatar
Ughhhh getting a message that my name is bad and can't join any servers. Fun, haven't been able to play for the last couple of days because the game hates me.
TheNiX
Member
(07-19-2012, 02:11 AM)
TheNiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soule

Ughhhh getting a message that my name is bad and can't join any servers. Fun, haven't been able to play for the last couple of days because the game hates me.

Go into your profile and update the name.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(07-19-2012, 03:19 AM)
WedgeX's Avatar
Being ghosted is terribad.
Petrie
Member
(07-19-2012, 03:30 AM)
Petrie's Avatar
Just realized after waiting for a Steam sale that I actually have this game from a free GreenManGaming promotion awhile back. Does this mod work with that version?
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(07-19-2012, 03:34 AM)
The M.O.B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

Just realized after waiting for a Steam sale that I actually have this game from a free GreenManGaming promotion awhile back. Does this mod work with that version?

You need ArmaII(Free or Paid) and ArmaII: Operation Arrowhead or the combined pack called Combined Operations.
yo_soy_el_topo
Member
(07-19-2012, 03:39 AM)
yo_soy_el_topo's Avatar
Me and roommate are trying to figure out if this game could cause latency or internet issues for others in the household when being played.

Anyone have any idea?
Petrie
Member
(07-19-2012, 03:43 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by The M.O.B

You need ArmaII(Free or Paid) and ArmaII: Operation Arrowhead or the combined pack called Combined Operations.

Oh damn. So the version I have won't work?

Guess I wait till the end of the Steam sale to see if comes down at all!
ZenVolta
Member
(07-19-2012, 04:07 AM)
ZenVolta's Avatar

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Dude. Your son was murdered. And he once cost you your life. These are stories that need to be told. In depth.

edit: top of the page, so quote this for mumble info!

Originally Posted by Petrie

Oh damn. So the version I have won't work?

Guess I wait till the end of the Steam sale to see if comes down at all!

Do you have Arma 2 OA or just Arma 2? Cuz if you have Arma 2 OA you could just get the Free version of Arma 2 and play that till it comes down or something. Wont look the best but its not that bad
Soi-Fong
Member
(07-19-2012, 04:10 AM)
Soi-Fong's Avatar
Hmm... Wondering if this will get a sale at all.. 20 bucks is still kinda hard to justify, but then I've heard a lot of good things about DayZ but just not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.
Slair
Member
(07-19-2012, 04:12 AM)
Slair's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

Just realized after waiting for a Steam sale that I actually have this game from a free GreenManGaming promotion awhile back. Does this mod work with that version?

I have the same version from gmg that came free with some newspaper promotion. I bought operation arrowhead from gmg and i've heard you can get OA from steam and it'd work, not 100% sure though.
Last edited by Slair; 07-19-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Petrie
Member
(07-19-2012, 04:14 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZenVolta

Do you have Arma 2 OA or just Arma 2? Cuz if you have Arma 2 OA you could just get the Free version of Arma 2 and play that till it comes down or something. Wont look the best but its not that bad

Just plain old Arma 2 it seems.
drizzle
Axel Hertz
(07-19-2012, 04:20 AM)
drizzle's Avatar
Anybody saw this article?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...zs-grim-world/

It's very light, but it's also very interesting, I guess.

It shows another facet of the human interaction in this game. I find it very amusing.

I really should come back to it.
Flunkie
Member
(07-19-2012, 05:18 AM)
Flunkie's Avatar
Playing for the first time.

Zombies stop chasing me damn.

Oh, don't run around like a madman.

I'm learning.
Pyronite
Member
(07-19-2012, 05:28 AM)
Pyronite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soi-Fong

Hmm... Wondering if this will get a sale at all.. 20 bucks is still kinda hard to justify, but then I've heard a lot of good things about DayZ but just not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

I must be a rich bastard, because $20 seems easy to justify for a small company and an ambitious game.
grimshawish
Banned
(07-19-2012, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by drizzle

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...zs-grim-world/

This is brilliant.
Petrie
Member
(07-19-2012, 05:50 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pyronite

I must be a rich bastard, because $20 seems easy to justify for a small company and an ambitious game.

$20 to the mod creator, sure.

$20 to Arma 2 during the Steam sale when there's so much more value to be had for that $20, and I know the game has been MUCH cheaper before, that's much harder to swallow.
Flunkie
Member
(07-19-2012, 06:09 AM)
Flunkie's Avatar
Why am I getting "you were kicked" messages when trying to join the GAF server? What did I do wrong?

Edit: Okay, every server. Um, what?

Edit 2: Restarted the computer and didn't get it again. Weird! (For anyone wondering, yes I have a legit version of the game, if that's a fishy message or something.)
Last edited by Flunkie; 07-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(07-19-2012, 07:02 AM)
The M.O.B's Avatar
ArmaII even without DayZ is worth $20 imo
Pyronite
Member
(07-19-2012, 07:18 AM)
Pyronite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

$20 to the mod creator, sure.

$20 to Arma 2 during the Steam sale when there's so much more value to be had for that $20, and I know the game has been MUCH cheaper before, that's much harder to swallow.

$20 is $20 - a few meals, a few here and there things, for a product you'll have forever and continues to be updated.

And DayZ is inseparable from ArmA. I understand your sentiment, but DayZ wouldn't be where it is today if gamers held off.
Last edited by Pyronite; 07-19-2012 at 07:21 AM.
MotionBlue
Member
(07-19-2012, 07:29 AM)
MotionBlue's Avatar
Finally took the plunge into Dayz.

First attempt: Aggroed zombie minutes of spawning, ran into the ocean, and bled to death.

Second attempt, lived for 5 hours. Found a crossbow, some M1A11, and a tent. Met my first fellow survivors. The first was a fresh spawn with no weapons, I gave him my hatchet and went on my merry way. Met two other survivors, who promptly shot me in the head and took my stuff.

Third attempt tonight. Does GAF play on a specific server?
The M.O.B
important Canuck facts
(07-19-2012, 07:34 AM)
The M.O.B's Avatar

Originally Posted by MotionBlue

Finally took the plunge into Dayz.

First attempt: Aggroed zombie minutes of spawning, ran into the ocean, and bled to death.

Second attempt, lived for 5 hours. Found a crossbow, some M1A11, and a tent. Met my first fellow survivors. The first was a fresh spawn with no weapons, I gave him my hatchet and went on my merry way. Met two other survivors, who promptly shot me in the head and took my stuff.

Third attempt tonight. Does GAF play on a specific server?

We own a server, US38 Hosted by NeoGAF
littleworm
Member
(07-19-2012, 07:57 AM)
littleworm's Avatar
This doesn't deal with DayZ directly, but since this is probably the best place to troubleshoot ArmA proper, I'll give it a shot. It seems when I update the game to play DayZ, is deletes alot of the weapons, people, and vehicles from the single player side of the game. Lot's of items missing from the mission editor, and the campaign mission not loading properly. When I delete everything and re install, the problem goes away, till I try to update the game again the play DayZ. It's either the installation of ArmA 1.6 or the beta patch that seems to do it. Anyone else run into similar problems?
Petrie
Member
(07-19-2012, 07:57 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pyronite

$20 is $20 - a few meals, a few here and there things, for a product you'll have forever and continues to be updated.

And DayZ is inseparable from ArmA. I understand your sentiment, but DayZ wouldn't be where it is today if gamers held off.

Yeah. I'm just certain it'd be nothing but a short curiosity for me, and ARMA 2 interests me zero.
Dacvak
No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(07-19-2012, 08:08 AM)
Dacvak's Avatar
$20 isn't much money, sure. But you'd be stupid to buy it now and not wait for the Steam sale to end. There's definitely a chance it'll go on sale by the end of this.
Flunkie
Member
(07-19-2012, 08:23 AM)
Flunkie's Avatar
Took my forever to actually find my first weapon. I think spawn 6 it was for me. After countless spawns of plenty of soda and hatchets, I found a Lee Enfield in a barn, then immediately came across my first dead body. Picked up a Czech backpack and a Makarov and a whole lot of other goodies that I was needing (food, soda). He had a shotgun in the backpack and a Lee Enfield on him, and plenty of ammo for each. Then I proceeded to get trigger happy with a pack of zombies and burnt all of my shotgun ammo. Oh well, loving my first day with DayZ so far.
Pyronite
Member
(07-19-2012, 08:26 AM)
Pyronite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dacvak

$20 isn't much money, sure. But you'd be stupid to buy it now and not wait for the Steam sale to end. There's definitely a chance it'll go on sale by the end of this.

I suppose, unless you're cool giving an extra $10 to support the developers.
zon
Member
(07-19-2012, 08:51 AM)
zon's Avatar
Are there any euro gaffers left who play DayZ?
wolfmat
Member
(07-19-2012, 09:51 AM)
wolfmat's Avatar

Originally Posted by zon

Are there any euro gaffers left who play DayZ?

Sure. Just too busy to get back in it atm.
Atomski
Member
(07-19-2012, 09:54 AM)
Atomski's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soi-Fong

Hmm... Wondering if this will get a sale at all.. 20 bucks is still kinda hard to justify, but then I've heard a lot of good things about DayZ but just not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

I keep hoping it will go one sale.. so my cheap ass friends will buy it :/.
Orgun
Member
(07-19-2012, 09:55 AM)
Orgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by zon

Are there any euro gaffers left who play DayZ?

Yeah, but not as much as I used to.
gutabo
Member
(07-19-2012, 09:56 AM)
gutabo's Avatar
Hey guys finally made some friends start playing dayz, mind if I create a spanish group in gaf mumble?

EDIT: Now using "side party 3" :p the wife is going to kill me :(
Last edited by gutabo; 07-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
McBradders
NeoGAF: my new HOME
(07-19-2012, 10:37 AM)
McBradders's Avatar

Originally Posted by zon

Are there any euro gaffers left who play DayZ?

Bonjour!

Currently its not letting me play. Might try again at lunchtime.
goonergaz
Member
(07-19-2012, 10:57 AM)
goonergaz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

Yeah. I'm just certain it'd be nothing but a short curiosity for me, and ARMA 2 interests me zero.

there are more mods too tho - my son plays urban life (or something like that) - seems quite addictive too...he tends to play Day-z and this in weekly(ish) turns...seemingly unable to stop playing whichever he's currently on
Jburton
Member
(07-19-2012, 12:07 PM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by zon

Are there any euro gaffers left who play DayZ?

Just got it last night ........ eventually got it up and running.

Should be on for a few hours tonight.

Add me on steam ..... Jburton.
ZenVolta
Member
(07-19-2012, 03:06 PM)
ZenVolta's Avatar
Good to see others on Gaf getting into DayZ.

And to everyone still on the fence. 20 bucks may seem like a lot but when the servers are down or we cant seem to get into a good server. Me and my friends load up Arma 2 and just mess around.
TheNiX
Member
(07-19-2012, 03:11 PM)
TheNiX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pyronite

I suppose, unless you're cool giving an extra $10 to support the developers.

I'd like to think the extra $10 puts Bohemia in a better position to offer Rocket the deal that'll allow him the ability to make the game standalone under a company that understands the vision for the game and have supported him from the beginning.

Thread Tools