• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 2 pre-orders top original Black Ops, MW3's

eek5

I'm sick of all the CoD hate. Yes, it bores me as a series, but I'm even more bored with the hate bandwagon. CoD is a decent series which runs beautifully and plays pretty well. It might not be perfect and each one is just derivative of the previous one, but it hardly puts a foot wrong.

People enjoy it. People want to buy it. Let them.

The COD hate bandwagon is ridiculous.

I don't understand!! People like what I don't like. MAKE IT STOP! :(

They need to just get over it and play something else.

Kayhan

We should talk more about Woods and how he was our super-bro

and about how we cried when we lost him.....

gogogow

There are people who always eat the same stuff.

And there are people who always buy the same games.

Funny, I thought that some analysts said that CoD is going to vanish in the next time

Those analysts also said it's the end of boxed games, because MW3 sold less than BO... :/

Tain

I'm sick of all the CoD hate. Yes, it bores me as a series, but I'm even more bored with the hate bandwagon. CoD is a decent series which runs beautifully and plays pretty well. It might not be perfect and each one is just derivative of the previous one, but it hardly puts a foot wrong.

Yeah, the hyperbole around CoD is adorable.

It really does feel like some NeoGAF posters can't see beyond a game's fanbase being made up of "bros" (males with muscles and girlfriends), sometimes.

Not surprising in the least, but it'll be interesting to see how long they can keep milking this series. As has been mentioned earlier, it really looks like they've squeezed every last drop out of this engine. This series needs a facelift.

Reuenthal

Banned
I don't have a problem with the franchise in fact I am happy that so many people like it and provides something to them. Nor do I see that as immature at all, nor the franchise either. Now a few of the people who don't like the franchise, a few but not all don't have the most mature of reactions.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not surprising in the least, but it'll be interesting to see how long they can keep milking this series. As has been mentioned earlier, it really looks like they've squeezed every last drop out of this engine. This series needs a facelift.

It'll get one when Durango and PS4 arrive.

Kusagari

MW3s sales were only down in name only, if people actually read the entire thread.

It was later revealed the 360/PS3 sales were up from BO, but sales of other versions like the Wii were down.

FLEABttn

Banned
CoD really feels like the FPS equivalent to WoW: an untouchable behemoth that squeezes other games out of the genre, whose dominance is unquestionable and looks to stay that way for an undetermined period of time even when it miss-steps (MW3, seemingly).

Valnen

I was at Gamestop to pay off my D3 CE earlier stuck behind someone preordering this along with several sports titles. He had to ask release dates for each and every game. Ugh.

Judging from the looks of the guy I'd guess any and every "bro" gamer will be preordering this.

stuminus3

Nothing shocking or terrible here. CoD is now a franchise built in a way that even if it suffered a Guitar Hero-eque drop from the face of the planet, there's still a very large hardcore group of fans that are hungry for everything to do with it. Like Nintendo during the Gamecube era.

I've decided I'm probably going to pass on this year's CoD not because of the quality of the games (because they're still great) but because after Blops and MW3 I'm really starting to find it too samey to bother. I'm the "tracking" stat (that apparently went down from Blops to MW3?). My son on the other hand, he's the "front loaded" stat, the hardcore fan like I mentioned above.

I was at Gamestop to pay off my D3 CE earlier stuck behind someone preordering this along with several sports titles. He had to ask release dates for each and every game. Ugh.
Boggles my mind that people still do this. There was a guy maybe late 20s/early 30s in EB the other day asking the clerk when GTAV was coming out. He was probably carrying a device or two that could have told him the answer on the internet in seconds, yet he still went out of his way to go to a store ask some kid behind a counter that probably knows less than some random person off the street.

Cheech

Sadly? GTFO with that shit. You don't like it? Tough Tits. It's a solid francheise that deserves to be around.

Man I wonder if I went into one of those pedo Gust rpg threads and complained that they keep making them how long I would last.

Probably not very long and it should be no diffrent for CoD threads.

Hahaha. Stone cold truth here.

I will probably go PC for BO2. Went 360 for MW3 to play split screen with the family, and it didn't have the same spark.

BD1

Banned
I do think BLOPs 2 could outsell MW3. I think the Black Ops brand is more popular right now.

Hahaha. Stone cold truth here.

I will probably go PC for BO2. Went 360 for MW3 to play split screen with the family, and it didn't have the same spark.

You may want to reconsider. PC Blops is HORRIBLY optimized. MW2/MW3 actually runs nicely...Blops terrible. From personal experience, MW2/3 runs great on all systems while Blops was a disaster on both PS3/PC

I don't think MW3 tracking a little behind Blops means that much when the whole industry is even more down, in retail software.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

People enjoy it. People want to buy it. Let them.

Exactly. How anyone can get angry that millions of people are purchasing and enjoying a game is beyond me. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

But you can't blame someone for purchasing a fun game where many will sink tens to hundreds of hours into online multiplayer with their friends. Not only that but the online community is so large that it'll outlast online communities in games that launch a year from now. There's tremendous bang for the buck here, and it's a no brainer for the person who only purchases a few games per year.

gogogow

I do think BLOPs 2 could outsell MW3. I think the Black Ops brand is more popular right now.

The Modern Warfare setting is getting stale. Three games in a row with the same setting is a bit too much. I think MW3 was solid, not spectacular. Black Ops was set in a different time and so is BLOPS2.

CoD really feels like the FPS equivalent to WoW: an untouchable behemoth that squeezes other games out of the genre, whose dominance is unquestionable and looks to stay that way for an undetermined period of time even when it miss-steps (MW3, seemingly).

This is a pretty good analogy. It also gets the same amount of blind hate that WoW gets also.

Derrick01

Banned
People need to stop hating on COD and start hating on all the terrible publishers who devote everything they have to trying to copy them and their success like EA. Did we bash GTA last gen? Or did we bash games like Jak 2 and 3 for shamelessly twisting their games to fit its formula?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Also, it's the first futuristic CoD. That's a much better hook than 'the third Modern Warfare game'.

So where does Infinity Wars go from here?
Wait, I think I've got it.
Take a deep breath...

Call of Duty 5

mind_blown12ux7.gif

Personally I'm very pumped about this game. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint and some new gameplay features can do for one's enthusiasm.

Also, COMBAT TRAINING IS BACK

Woods. Will be a good rental again.

MW3s sales were only down in name only, if people actually read the entire thread.

It was later revealed the 360/PS3 sales were up from BO, but sales of other versions like the Wii were down.

Ah well that makes more sense. Even with the whole industry down so much on sales COD isn't dropping as fast as people expected.

fuenf

What some people seem to forget is that the CoD games are still excellent FPS. Sure the engine is old and the gameplay might be more of the same but it's still better than most of the other games out there. Well, this year there's Halo 4 but i dont think there's a single PS3 FPS to get excited for besides BLOPS2.

I don't even mind the series getting a new installment every year - all the merrier for fans of the series as long as the quality is there.

One thing I don't understand at all is the fondness for the BLOPS campaign, outside of taking the story more seriously. The actual gameplay scenarios and objectives were some of the worst in the series. The first few levels were all sound and fury signifying nothing, Vietnam was pretty but was overly scripted or else just filled with endless hordes (the kind of thing fans had wanted removed), the riverboat sequence and tunnel rat bits were boring, and when they put you up in a jet you just follow on-screen prompts or fail like a slow-motion-QTE. And even for a COD game it was littered with far too many straight-through corridors providing no options to approach a skirmish from a different angle or strategy. And once again this is in relation to previous COD campaigns, not to shooters at large.

I'd love to know what it was I missed, because I thought it was one of the weakest if not the weakest campaign in the series.

FLEABttn

Banned
Except WoW doesn't get yearly rehashes. There have been expansions over the years but they are just that, expansions.

Comprised of the exact same type of stuff that the prior expansion had. WoW expansions offer the same formula, very similar experiences, but with a a new coat of paint. They're biennial rehashes.

I don't even mean that as a negative, it's a good part of why it's successful. People know what they like and they want more of it.

Comprised of the exact same type of stuff that the prior expansion had. WoW expansions offer the same formula, very similar experiences, but with a a new coat of paint. They're biennial rehashes.

I don't even mean that as a negative, it's a good part of why it's successful. People know what they like and they want more of it.

Well yeah it's more of the same. People expect expansions not to alter gameplay elements. If Bliz ever release WoW 2 people would expect something different not just more of the same. I understand what you are saying I just think COD is such a copy and paste job it's ridiculous.

gogogow

With all the shit Activision and COD franchise gets, they at least give you the "full game". A single player campaign, competitive MP mode, Co-Op Spec-Ops, Survival Mode etc. No bullshit locked content on disc and no online passes.

Damn seriously? Fucking WHY????

I saw the trailer, it looks like garbage ( graphics wise, let's be honest here those textures were disgusting and I'm no graphics whore ) graphics wise. Sure we don't know much about the gameplay but aside from the fact it might not be as linear as previous games, it's probably gonna be more of the same.

I think this is a very sad trend in the gaming industry.

I talked to a few very big call of duty fans who play only that and Fifa, and they said this looked stupid more like Halo. I didn't bother arguing with them because it looks nothing like halo but eh.. they will probably buy it anyway.

You cannot rationalize what you don't like and what they enjoy. It is what it is.

People enjoy CoD and that will not change anytime soon.

Except WoW doesn't get yearly rehashes. There have been expansions over the years but they are just that, expansions.

What is an expansion but a "new" entry in the series with pretty much all the same mechanics? You do the same shit in Cata you did in Wrath, that you did in BC. There have been refinements but you still do exactly the same things. You get new environments, items, skills, etc.. how is this any different from new maps, weapons, perks, etc..?

It's exactly the same thing.

faridmon

Bitter tears GAF is the best GAF.
I am sort of excited since I kind of enjoyed the first BLack OPS, while I hated the modern Warefares, so I am sort of looking forward to this.
and the changes they are promising to bring forward is exciting and I trust Treyarch since they always try to listen to their fanbase.

People need to stop hating on COD and start hating on all the terrible publishers who devote everything they have to trying to copy them and their success like EA. Did we bash GTA last gen? Or did we bash games like Jak 2 and 3 for shamelessly twisting their games to fit its formula?

Well yeah, this guy gets it! I haven't played a single player campaign that has outdone COD yet. Maybe Homefront 2 by the remnants of Free Radical can come close but everything else has been a bust.

legacyzero

Banned
I didn't buy MW3 but I'll give this a look because they're trying something with a wisp of originality.
Bingo.

I was thinking about skipping COD this year, but that trailer has me interested. I'm still not sold on it though. Lets see what they are doing with that multiplayer first.

MMaRsu

Banned
You cannot rationalize what you don't like and what they enjoy. It is what it is.

People enjoy CoD and that will not change anytime soon.

I have MW3 here, it's almost nothing different from MW2.

Just because I don't like the trend this shit is setting, I'm not saying MW3 is a bad game.

Bumhead

Banned
Black Ops is a stronger brand than Modern Warfare and Treyarch are now delivering the better games than Infinity Ward. No surprise to me, personally.

That, and I think the futuristic tone, regardless of how superficial it might turn out to be, might have swayed some of those who were tiring.

What is an expansion but a "new" entry in the series with pretty much all the same mechanics? You do the same shit in Cata you did in Wrath, that you did in BC. There have been refinements but you still do exactly the same things. You get new environments, items, skills, etc.. how is this any different from new maps, weapons, perks, etc..?

It's exactly the same thing.

An expansion is exactly that, an expansion to an existing game. Not much is supposed to change. MW2/3 are completely separate games. MW3 could honestly be just a MW2 expansion. It uses the same engine and all kinds of other assets as 2. That is my issue. See DICE how to do sequels...Look at the diff from BC2 -> BF3

Kiyo

I contributed to 2 of those preorders @ amazon. Mainly because I had a lot of fun playing the zombie mode with friends in black ops 1. But there was also some info about an improved hardcore mode (the only mode I play online) and fixing sniper rifles. I figure even if the single player and multiplayer are shit, I'll still be able to play zombie mode with friends.

Top Bottom