• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 2 pre-orders top original Black Ops, MW3's

Nizz

This new Blops game looks to do some interesting new things with the gameplay, at least the campaign. But I can't honestly pull the trigger on this till I know the PS3 version won't be terrible...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You may want to reconsider. PC Blops is HORRIBLY optimized. MW2/MW3 actually runs nicely...Blops terrible. From personal experience, MW2/3 runs great on all systems while Blops was a disaster on both PS3/PC

Actually patches and drivers fixed that pretty quickly for all of my friends that had issues.

Effect

Never had any issues with Black Ops PC. Then again I didn't get it at launch. It must have improved after release.

I know people have complained about the PC version of Blops, but maybe my computer is just odd, but I was able to run BLOPs on my PC very well and my computer sucks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know people have complained about the PC version of Blops, but maybe my computer is just odd, but I was able to run BLOPs on my PC very well and my computer sucks.

Yeah, myself and quite a few of my friends were rolling at the 92 fps lock for 99% of hour 200+ hours on mid-tier videocards.

Dresden

Treyarch at this point is vastly superior to the shell of IW left by the exodus, so BLOPS2 has to be better than the shitfest that was MW3. Kinda curious as to what they'll do, but good good, it's so ugly.

Aphexian

Will buy this when it comes out but not pre-order

That's how I've gotten about games. There has to be a REALLY good reason for me to pre-order anything anymore. It doesn't seem too common to see games not ship enough copies on release.

Shorty

Banned
This is self-defeating. It claims that Black Ops 2 is on track to do better than Black Ops1 and MW3 because the preorders are 10x Black ops 1 and 1.3x MW3, but also has to admit that MW3 preorders > Black Ops pre-orders, when we all know that MW3 hasn't sold as well as Black Ops in the long run.

Thus, first day pre-orders mean fuck all, and this press release is meaningless.

And to top it all off, it's not even comparing like-for-like, as BO2 was announced far later in the year than either of its predecessors, meaning more people were always going to be itching to preorder it. Compare the first 3 months of BO1 or MW3 preorders to day 1 BO2 pre-orders for a fair comparison.
but black ops 1 wasn't going up against battlefield 3

Aphexian

Treyarch at this point is vastly superior to the shell of IW left by the exodus, so BLOPS2 has to be better than the shitfest that was MW3. Kinda curious as to what they'll do, but good good, it's so ugly.

I really wouldn't be sad to see them put Sledgehammer on the back burners and let Treyarch make the CoDs for a while. It might let the market not seem so bogged down with a new CoD every year. Then again it's a business about making money so I'm sure the execs wouldn't like that idea.

Same release date as Halo 4 huh. Studio 343, your move.

It is a week before but that is still way to close. I really think they are going to lose sales due to this. So many FPS fans will be looking forward to Blops2, I wonder if they will pick up another time intensive shooter only 7 days earlier.

kuYuri

Yeah, myself and quite a few of my friends were rolling at the 92 fps lock for 99% of hour 200+ hours on mid-tier videocards.

I played Black Ops during a free weekend or two and I had stellar performance. Not the crap that people who had shit performance had described. And my PC, while powerful, is nowhere near what other members of PC GAF has.

Honestly I'm still not sure why so many dislike MW3 here...

The campaign was a fun romp for me like any COD campaign, and the multiplayer plays just like previous CODs...though I did only play it for a few months, but I don't recall anything so different about it...certainly not to the point that it's a "shitfest".

sn00zer

Could never get passed the realistic violence in the MW series...its just constant throat stabbing, people gasping for air...just bleh...and I just finished Bulletstorm (twas awesome) ...MW really rubs me the wrong way

It is a week before but that is still way to close. I really think they are going to lose sales due to this. So many FPS fans will be looking forward to Blops2, I wonder if they will pick up another time intensive shooter only 7 days earlier.

Keep in mind that there was only about a month and a half between Halo Reach and Black Ops and a significant number bought Halo (granted, no where near Black Ops numbers) and still went on to buy Black ops. Both games have longevity well beyond a few months so it really doesn't matter if its a month later or a week later in my opinion with these 2 franchises. Sales will likely mirror that of Reach and Black Ops 1.

nevermind, it was a 2 month difference... but still... both games have such huge longevity that they could relaese the same day and probably still do typical numbers

jet1911

The campaign was a fun romp for me like any COD campaign, and the multiplayer plays just like previous CODs...though I did only play it for a few months, but I don't recall anything so different about it...certainly not to the point that it's a "shitfest".

No adjustable FOV and no dedicated servers made the mp worse on pc. That and shit maps. I enjoyed the sp though. Soap :(

Effect

For me personally it's the map design (putting aside lack of options they had in the PC version). Just a bunch of corners and clutter that seem to favor camping. Combine that with quick scooping and it makes playing annoying. Then there is the amount of crap in the air to make you can die in quick succession as soon as you respawn. You can have perks that hopefully can counter this at least for me it doesn't seem to be worth it. You still die. If no from the air but the respawn system itself which will respawn you right in front of an enemy. Black Ops just always seemed more "fair" in how it was designed. Felt the same even after playing MW2 which I think is actually more fair then MW3 but then again it's been a while since I played that and I could be remembering wrong. IW said they wanted more focus on gunplay. That was an outright lie in the end.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MW3 is nowhere near as tightly designed in MP as Blops 1 was (HC TDM was perfection on PC), but it's still fun with a set of friends who can help sway the map vote away from the lesser maps.

I'm surprised that its higher. The trailer was such an indecipherable clusterfuck. Maybe that appeals to the bros? DUDE DID YOU SEE THE NEW BLOPS TRAILER? I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON, SO IT MUST BE GOOD.

Aphexian

CoD on the computer.

*ping servers*

Nuketown 24/7 FAST EXP 16/16
CTF 0/16

I know it's an exaggeration but it really felt like that sometimes. Personally, I hope they don't have or make another map like Nuketown. It was too hectic.

WHY???

Everyone I know never shuts up about how good COD is before release, then when they get it they think it's terrible, then they go out and buy the next one. Hell, even with this one, all I hear are complaints when talking to friends. Will this really be a never ending cycle?

The audience is annoying, but I can live with them. But now they're really starting to be sheep.

jet1911

I'm surprised that its higher. The trailer was such an indecipherable clusterfuck. Maybe that appeals to the bros? DUDE DID YOU SEE THE NEW BLOPS TRAILER? I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON, SO IT MUST BE GOOD.

The trailer wasn't hard to decipher at all... It was a typical COD trailer.

Mr. Robot

I like Treyarchs offerings more than IWs, i just like the stupid crazy stuff, like Dogs, RC Cars, exploding arrows, throwing knives, and the reason why the CoD franchise is still alive, Zombie modes, and the president figthing them.

The trailer wasn't hard to decipher at all... It was a typical COD trailer.
Which basically means it makes no sense. ROBOTS, THEN DRONES, THEN AN OLD ZOMBIE TALKING, THEN AN APC, THEN HORSES, ALL WHILE DURING EXPLOSIONS. THEY NEED MEN LIKE US OH YEAH SO EPIC.

At least I could pretend to follow along with the original mw's threadbare story. This is just them ripping off tom Clancy, poorly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Arent people tired of always playing the same new Call of Duty every year, just with different maps and guns for 60$? Or are they really adding new interesting stuff? Sorry, havent played a Call of Duty game for years.

Arent people tired of always playing the same new Call of Duty every year, just with different maps and guns for 60$? Or are they really adding new interesting stuff? Sorry, havent played a Call of Duty game for years.

Not to sound mean really, but you have no room to talk then.

jet1911

Which basically means it makes no sense. ROBOTS, THEN DRONES, THEN AN OLD ZOMBIE TALKING, THEN AN APC, THEN HORSES, ALL WHILE DURING EXPLOSIONS. THEY NEED MEN LIKE US OH YEAH SO EPIC.

At least I could pretend to follow along with the original mw's threadbare story. This is just them ripping off tom Clancy, poorly.

Too bad for you if you can't make sense of quick edit and action scenes in trailer.

hamchan

The more people that hate this series that keep posting the more happy I am that the series sells so much.

Also, to answer the question "Do they add interesting stuff each entry?", the answer is yes, the Treyarch entries at least. For BLOPS2 there are some huge changes to the campaign. Find the preview thread and read it. The multiplayer for BLOPS2 we have mo idea about.

The original BLOPS added CoD points and the extremely good wager mode. It's also considered the best CoD post CoD4 in terms of maps and overall balance. Hopefully BLOPS2 matches it.

MW3 is shit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not to sound mean really, but you have no room to talk then.

But that's why im asking, why are they so popular? I always had the feeling that new Call of Duty games only changed the maps and guns with only slight improvements in gameplay and graphics, so if they're really adding more stuff to make it worthwhile to pay 60$ every year, then i want to know.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But that's why im asking, why are they so popular? I always had the feeling that new Call of Duty games only changed the maps and guns with only slight improvements in gameplay and graphics, so if they're really adding more stuff to make it worthwhile to pay 60$ every year, then i want to know.

It depends on how you define "worth $60," really. I put over 200 hours into Black Ops (which I snagged for $10, mind you, but it is certainly retroactively worth the $60). I'm on track to put in a decent amount of time into Modern Warfare 3, too. If we look at it as an hours of enjoyment/dollar ratio, the games are certainly worth it to me even if they are just basically reskins and new maps.

Which they aren't. Black Ops is a totally different game from Modern Warfare 2/3. It feels so different and it's balanced so differently. Maybe I'm just not fatigued enough yet. But I'm looking forward to Black Ops 2.

Sure, they add really fun new modes (i.e Spec Ops, zombies), new weapons, exciting (imo) and different campaigns, new perks/killstreaks in each one, new maps, new gameplay elements (piloting vehicles), etc. They slowly iterate on each installment.

And in a great way, BO2 looks to be the most ambitious yet. All the new things they're adding is very intriguing.

Kydd BlaZe

Haters gonna hate.

I love the Call of Duty series. Black Ops was one of my favorite entries in the series, and Black Ops II looks all sorts of ridiculous (in a good way). The psuedo-futuristic/cyberpunk setting is just icing on the cake for me.

Damn seriously? Fucking WHY????

I saw the trailer, it looks like garbage ( graphics wise, let's be honest here those textures were disgusting and I'm no graphics whore ) graphics wise. Sure we don't know much about the gameplay but aside from the fact it might not be as linear as previous games, it's probably gonna be more of the same.

I think this is a very sad trend in the gaming industry.

I talked to a few very big call of duty fans who play only that and Fifa, and they said this looked stupid more like Halo. I didn't bother arguing with them because it looks nothing like halo but eh.. they will probably buy it anyway.

So basically Black Ops 2 looked like garbage just because the graphics weren't the best?

This is why the industry is struggling. Cut the graphics whore stuff. If Black Ops 2 delivers the same addicting gameplay with an interesting new twist on the franchise, I'm all for it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sales are likely getting more front-loaded. It wouldn't surprise me if total sales don't exceed Black Ops.

Yep. MW3 opened better than BlOps and is tracking behind it, and I imagine that this will open better than MW3 and track even behind that.

unomas

Banned
Heavily front loaded sales plus a different feel and look to this COD peaks interest for everyone. I was one of those that said I was probably done with COD, but BO2 is a nice change up from previous installments it seems so my interest has been rekindled. Now......the chances of them repackaging it every year from here on out start to get slimmer and slimmer. Interest will fade more than likely after this installment.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Heavily front loaded sales plus a different feel and look to this COD peaks interest for everyone. I was one of those that said I was probably done with COD, but BO2 is a nice change up from previous installments it seems so my interest has been rekindled. Now......the chances of them repackaging it every year from here on out start to get slimmer and slimmer. Interest will fade more than likely after this installment.

All it takes is the next one to be Call of Duty: Space Warfare.

And you know it.

george_us

What some people seem to forget is that the CoD games are still excellent FPS. Sure the engine is old and the gameplay might be more of the same but it's still better than most of the other games out there. Well, this year there's Halo 4 but i dont think there's a single PS3 FPS to get excited for besides BLOPS2.
Not only that but they seem to be the only console FPS to actually run at 60 frames. I thought MW3 looked fantastic for the amount of shit going on and the fact that it ran at a fairly rock solid 60 frames.

hamchan

Yep. MW3 opened better than BlOps and is tracking behind it, and I imagine that this will open better than MW3 and track even behind that.

We'll see. Aren't sales down for the whole industry? Also maybe the bad word of mouth for MW3 is affecting it because it really is quite bad compared to previous entries.

I highly doubt Black Ops 2 is ten times more "popular," just that more and more people are realizing Amazon is a great place to buy games.

adelante

Not only that but they seem to be the only console FPS to actually run at 60 frames. I thought MW3 looked fantastic for the amount of shit going on and the fact that it ran at a fairly rock solid 60 frames.

Considering the amount and scale of destructive set-pieces they had in the game, I'm amazed they were able to push that far with that framerate.

MW/COD:BO has some of the best core shooting controls around; extremely fluid and responsive...which is the only reason why I keep on playing. Its just too bad the game design hasn't change much with each new title.

Top Bottom