• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 2 pre-orders top original Black Ops, MW3's

Yep. MW3 opened better than BlOps and is tracking behind it, and I imagine that this will open better than MW3 and track even behind that.

Sales for the whole video game industry are increasingly down.

And MW3 is actually doing better than Black Ops did on 360/PS3 at this point in its cycle.

Sales are only less on the other platforms (PC, Wii), so that's why it seems less.

Dan Yo

Banned
10X the pre-order numbers for Black Ops I is kinda huge.
I don't think COD fans had as much faith in the Treyarch games before this one. After MW3, Treyarch are now the name people look for to make the good CODs.

And taking it to the future was literally the last thing Activision could've done to keep the series fresh for one more year. It came to this much quicker than I thought it would, but given that they insist on yearly iterations, it was the latest possible time they could get away with it. The series is officially at the end of its trajectory.

I don't think COD fans had as much faith in the Treyarch games before this one. After MW3, Treyarch are now the name people look for to make the good CODs.

And taking it to the future was literally the last thing Activision could've done to keep the series fresh for one more year. It came to this much quicker than I thought it would, but given that they insist on yearly iterations, it was the latest possible time they could get away with it. The series is officially at the end of its trajectory.

Lol.

Mooreberg

As long as shitty games like this keep these people away from the good ones(in terms of my online experience), I'm cool. TF2 > CoD
Valve's multiplayer stuff is more insulated since it basically only gets supported on the PC, but the impact on other franchises is pretty obvious. The first genuinely new BF3 maps work with team deathmatch but not Conquest. This is something that would have seemed laughable before the current era of shooters. I'm morbidly curious to see how CS GO pans out on consoles. I'm half expecting hostage rescue matches where nobody even attempts to go to their initial location.

Desaan

And here I was thinking this franchise was going to die out after the shitfest of MW3. Don't worry guys, I'm sure Treyarch will do a stellar job of digging that grave a little deeper.

Dammit people, stop buying this fucking game!

I've been a Treyarch fan since W@W which I personally feel was a better game than any of the MW's (largely because of the campaign co-op and the zombie mode). Black Ops was great too, combat training was huge for me (I'd rather stomp some bots than have to play online with the riffraff any day of the week.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SMH. I really want this series to stop being milked dry so it can finally go back to the drawing board and get something different from CoD4 rehash rehash rehash rehash while making the maps worse and worse. :/

DGRE

Banned
Sales for the whole video game industry are increasingly down.

And MW3 is actually doing better than Black Ops did on 360/PS3 at this point in its cycle.

Sales are only less on the other platforms (PC, Wii), so that's why it seems less.
Source?

Road

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._drove_Modern_Warfare_3_drop_says_analyst.php

Despite reports that sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are beginning to slow down compared to the rest of the franchise, analyst group Cowen and Company says that this decline is down to significantly reduced sales in the PC, Wii and handheld versions, rather than the console releases.

Cowen's Doug Creutz said in his latest report that while life-to-date Modern Warfare 3 retail sales are indeed down 4.6 percent year-over-year compared to Black Ops, sales of the game on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms are actually slightly up year-over-year.

Dan Yo

Banned
I've been a Treyarch fan since W@W which I personally feel was a better game than any of the MW's (largely because of the campaign co-op and the zombie mode). Black Ops was great too, combat training was huge for me (I'd rather stomp some bots than have to play online with the riffraff any day of the week.)
I never cared much for the zombies mode myself but I know some people who get way into it so I can understand that. I don't think any of the Treyarch ones hold a candle to pre-law suit Infinity Ward though. MW1 and MW2 were just addictively awesome in singleplayer and multiplayer especially. Particularly COD4. Such a landmark game.

Treyarch did a great job aping IW's formula immediately starting with WaW though. Before that it wasn't even close.

MW3 is just a travesty though. I really hope Respawn Entertainment has something to show at E3 with a release date.

The_Monk

I will be there Day one, this time on 360.

However there is one thing that I don't get it fellow GAFfers:

Some people like COD some people don't. It's good, but what I don't get is, why it is so cool to hate COD?

Is it because it's popular and people want to show how cool they are by not playing a popular game? I don't understand. You can have your opinion, you can like it or not, but hating something because it's a cool thing to do? I wonder if the same happens to Halo/Gears/Fifa/PES or other titles..

Dumbfounding that some people didn't see that taking CoD sci fi was the last possible move they could make. You're expecting a Civil War game I take it.
Korean war would have been cool but I'm quite happy with the direction they took.

I will be there Day one, this time on 360.

However there is one thing that I don't get it fellow GAFfers:

Some people like COD some people don't. It's good, but what I don't get is, why it is so cool to hate COD?

Is it because it's popular and people want to show how cool they are by not playing a popular game? I don't understand. You can have your opinion, you can like it or not, but hating something because it's cool? I wonder if the same happens to Halo/Gears/Fifa/PES or other titles..
Well just to play devil's advocate (I like about half the CoD games that come out) the problem is that the style of game CoD is has become so incredibly influential that way too many lesser devs/pubs try to ape it, generally without success, resulting in a whole overcrowded genre of similar looking and similar playing games. Not that that's CoD's fault.

Is it because it's popular and people want to show how cool they are by not playing a popular game? I don't understand. You can have your opinion, you can like it or not, but hating something because it's cool? I wonder if the same happens to Halo/Gears/Fifa/PES or other titles..
I think its the "COD Effect" that has caused risk averse publishers to seek to force every property that could possibly be conceived as a shooter into a shooter, and then to force that shooter (kicking and screaming if need be) into the COD mold. For many IPs this means losing their identity as their signature mechanics are superseded by long XP progressions and unlocks.

Its not COD's fault though. Call of Duty games obviously provides a shitton of entertainment to millions, year in and year out.

Besides that I have no idea. I think people who "want it to end" are barking up the wrong tree.

Dumbfounding that some people didn't see that taking CoD sci fi was the last possible move they could make. You're expecting a Civil War game I take it.

There's a lot of conflicts/era they can go to. You're insane if you think this is going to be COD's swan song.

Mr. Fix

And here I thought people would grow tired of it. Maybe the new 12 year olds on the block? What the hell people?

Considering the amount and scale of destructive set-pieces they had in the game, I'm amazed they were able to push that far with that framerate.

MW/COD:BO has some of the best core shooting controls around; extremely fluid and responsive...which is the only reason why I keep on playing. Its just too bad the game design hasn't change much with each new title.

It's just baffling that not even 1 publisher wants to release another 60fps shooter, i guess they all want pretty graphics more then responsive controls/gameplay. When will they learn, as long if you don't copy the 60fps don't bother copying at all. Because imo thats the biggest reason this keeps on selling like crazy.

GQman2121

Banned
SMH. I really want this series to stop being milked dry so it can finally go back to the drawing board and get something different from CoD4 rehash rehash rehash rehash while making the maps worse and worse. :/

Why risk it? The series is now officially in the Madden zone of development, where change can really only hurt their bottom line. If they change their proven (though admittedly played out) formula, they leave themselves vulnerable.

I 100% agree with you, but we're in the huge minority at this point.

I don't know how you guys have the energy to continually play the same series so much without fail.

I tip my hat to you. I've burned out on Call of Duty, Halo, Gears NBA2K, Madden and such annual franchises. They're all dead to me now.

The only game I've been able to play consistently over the years has been Team Fortress 2, but I don't play it heavily and they're constantly adding new things to the experience (on a weekly basis) to keep it fresh.

Mr. Fix

Not everyone is into to Anime, JRPG's and such (thankfully!)

blakckid.gif

Honestly I would at least like to see them take CoD further into the future.. At least 100 years or so. Then it should die.

Amerzel

Neo Member
It was obvious that this would be black ops 2 and I'm looking forward to it but what do people think they'll do next year? Will they really pump out another modern warfare? It will be the 10th call of duty, could they pull off an anniversary type edition?

ITT: People hate other people having fun.

I didn't even know it was a "future" based COD until read this thread. Wasn't interested in the least but now my interest is piqued somewhat. Made me go watch the trailer and I think I like it! Won't pay $60 for it but I'll eventually play this one. Unlike MW3 and BLOPS which I completely skipped.

Not everyone is into to Anime, JRPG's and such (thankfully!)
Cold blooded haha

It was obvious that this would be black ops 2 and I'm looking forward to it but what do people think they'll do next year? Will they really pump out another modern warfare? It will be the 10th call of duty, could they pull off an anniversary type edition?
Call of Duty: Space Warfare. It's the next logical step anyway.

FStop7

Banned
Giant Bomb's podcast got me genuinely excited about the changes coming to Black Ops 2.

It didn't get me excited but it did get me back on board enough to where I'll at least buy it once there's a price drop. After MW3 I had sworn off the franchise entirely, but Jeff's praise gives me some hope.

Dyno

Most of COD fans doesn't know who make their favourite game.

Whatever nerd, it's Activision. That's a Bro-fist for me and a Bro-missed for you, loser.

Solid07 said:
The more gamers whine and complain about a game, the more it sells.

COD thrives on bitter tears. Every time a man-baby wails it gains another frame per second.

Deadbeat

Banned
I am totally fine with blops being the best selling call of duty. cod 4 would be preferable, but blops is a good second choice.
According to VGC
Well theres your problem. People that make up numbers arent reliable.

Going by the way that the cod franchise has evolved from cod 4 into a schizophrenic mess in the modern warfare series, I am much more excited at what treyarch does than the amalgamation of dead studios making cod iterations. Sure, the idea that raven software working on cod would fill me with fond memories of sof 2 and jedi academy, but the people that made those games arent there anymore. So they wont transfer their brilliance on advancing the cod formula. Its clearly treyarch that controls the cod franchise.
COD thrives on bitter tears. Every time a man-baby wails it gains another frame per second.
Other game studios have aped so much from cod except the framerate. Maybe they could try copying that.

People don't desire innovation nearly as much as many Gaffers believe.

Evidence: Just look around.

And that's not a knock. I have no problem with it. Innovators still gonna innovate.

eek5

I think its the "COD Effect" that has caused risk averse publishers to seek to force every property that could possibly be conceived as a shooter into a shooter, and then to force that shooter (kicking and screaming if need be) into the COD mold. For many IPs this means losing their identity as their signature mechanics are superseded by long XP progressions and unlocks.

Its not COD's fault though. Call of Duty games obviously provides a shitton of entertainment to millions, year in and year out.

Besides that I have no idea. I think people who "want it to end" are barking up the wrong tree.

I agree with you; it's totally other publisher/developer's faults. One of the problems is they just look at COD as a list of bullet points and copy that. I know COD didn't invent perks/unlocks but for the most part these things are pretty balanced. I can't count how many games have barfilling as a bullet point and have it completely unbalanced (i.e. they have gamechanging equipment, overpowered weapons, etc. as high, high level unlocks).

If a publisher is forcing a developer to copy COD bullet points for more sales, the developer of that game is responsible for still making it a good game and not just shoe horning it in. If they half-ass it, I guess it's easier to blame COD :rolleyes:

It's just baffling that not even 1 publisher wants to release another 60fps shooter, i guess they all want pretty graphics more then responsive controls/gameplay. When will they learn, as long if you don't copy the 60fps don't bother copying at all. Because imo thats the biggest reason this keeps on selling like crazy.

This is the main thing that keeps me coming back. The gameplay is fluid and responsive. I can always move where I want and get where I need to go (with the exception of some stuff in MW3 that I get stuck on.. wtf man). It's all because of 60fps but no one else is doing it. It really bummed me out that RAGE didn't have TDM because that's the one other FPS this gen that I really enjoyed gunplay-wise.

How would you guys feel about a $200 Prestige Edition? It might happen according to my sources. Would anything justify that?

Top Bottom