• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should come with a keychain that has a tad bit of memory for NFC stuff and whatnot. We can't carry around the Umote since it needs the console to work, but a cheap keychain(with a bottle opener) would be pretty cool for travel with Miis, saves, NFC, etc.

Mind if I ask what's wrong? Have been having a pretty fucking disastrous month and a half now, and this day was kind of the cherry on top of it as well.

Found out my friend probably has testicular cancer whilst at this super embarrassing honor society induction that ended with my mom screaming at me because I wanted to get the hell out of there and skip the reception.

Eh. E3 is 15 days away. If we've come this far, you can pretty much keep your info. Would have been nice to have bigger morsels but I can wait until the 5th. Hopefully leaks come through other channels besides you.

I'm looking forward to crate pictures.

What's the difference? Just curious.

He's said that it's something that's already been speculated on, so it wouldn't be a total shock to us or anything. That's what I took from it.

DrWong

So.. you're telling us that we're really good sleuths, and that we have incredible deductive skills - to the point where we've figured-out most things about this system. :)
Major: Haptic & Starfox x Metroid confirmed! That's not really surprising as we all know it's coming.

EDarkness

So we should never expect major/really surprising Wii U info from you. That's all I need to know. Thanks.

Why do you have to be an asshole to the guy? If you don't like him just ignore him and move on with your life. Shitting up the thread with is nonsense just not cool.

ok ouch that has to hurt.....alot.

his unintentional sacrifice was not in vain....

It's bad enough he broke NDA for both his employer and Nintendo but if you're gonna go ahead and leak something there's countless safer and simpler ways to do it than a public Twitter account for crying out loud. He also probably had too much of his work space in the pic not to mention the dev attachment.

HylianTom

Banned
Found out my friend probably has testicular cancer whilst at this super embarrassing honor society induction that ended with my mom screaming at me because I wanted to get the hell out of there and skip the reception.

I had my battle with TC a bit more than twelve years ago. It changed me, to say the least. If you have any questions, feel free to PM away. (Sorry to hear that.)

Wow, that dude who leaked the controller got fired and faces legal charges.

Not to mention the ninjas coming to his house while he sleeps.

Is there a news source for this?

I am interested in what would become of him because things were so hush hush so I wondered what was holding these leaks back and how effective NDAs are

Anyone know how large of a foot print the PS3 or 360 OS' had before those systems hit retail?

I can't imagine a video game console OS when it's optimized and finalized taking up 512 megs. Hopefully that's just saving a ton of room to try out shit and account for messy unfinished code.

Here's hoping they can get it down to like 64 - 128 megs tops and leave as much room for the games as they can.

Izick

Shit. I'm really sorry Shadyspace....I hope your friend is alright, and I hope you're alright as well.

Lyude77

Dang, that's awful. My step-brother had testicular cancer. It's no good, obviously, but he's doing well now, so I think the treatments work well. I'll pray for you and your friend (though I don't know anyone's religious beliefs, it couldn't hurt).

On topic: thanks for the news, IdeaMan. I really appreciate it! I'm especially glad to know about the NFC button, and I hope the other button is a TV/Pad transfer because that would be awesome. I won't hope too much though, haha.

J-Rock

Banned
Why do you have to be an asshole to the guy? If you don't like him just ignore him and move on with your life. Shitting up the thread with is nonsense just not cool.

I'm just trying to get a clear answer so I can better understand where he is coming from. If you don't like it ignore me and move on with your life.

Thanks for answering me IdeaMan.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Anyone know how large of a foot print the PS3 or 360 OS' had before those systems hit retail?

I can't imagine a video game console OS when it's optimized and finalized taking up 512 megs. Hopefully that's just saving a ton of room to try out shit and account for messy unfinished code.

Here's hoping they can get it down to like 64 - 128 megs tops and leave as much room for the games as they can.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38012220&postcount=14967

Maybe the OS will take 150MB, but will need 300 additional MB of free space for system features, like multi-tasking, background things, etc. Putting your game on hold, storing your progression, having the engine (well maybe not everything from it) cached, saved, in the memory, while you're switching to the dashboard, the interface, and launch other apps, could require some space. The 512MB thing is a strong hint toward a pretty rich system in the software layer, functions, services, department. There's a lot of chances it won't be the actual size of what all this will take either in the flash storage, or in the RAM memory once loaded, after optimizations, etc.

So, one of haptics/UE4 confirmed/Vitality Sensor.

I really don't see what else could be classified as "major".

I'm missing posts due to building an ever increasintly gauche T6 starter, but wouldn't the "green and white" GTA V guess count as impressive sleuthing for something that could be considered "major"?

Snakeyes

I'm saying UE4, 1.5 GB of RAM devoted to games, good online functionality, very impressive and feature rich OS, excellent intergration of WiiU controller.

That's pretty ordinary though. In fact I would be surprised if Nintendo did not do this, especially the online, OS and integration bit.

That is an absurd amount of RAM for a console OS. I don't know what they could possibly be using all of that 512 megs for if they are truly going to be using all of that when the system launches. The only thing I can think of would be if they are really going through with that rumor last year about being able to watch your friend's games on your controller while you play your own game.

Refresher for those who forget:

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-stream-console

tkscz

I hope Nintendo gives devs a choice and make it so that they can turn off those extra features and use all 2 GBs of RAM. Either that or just make a separate pool of RAM for said extra features. From the patient, it looks to have 3 pools.

I hope Nintendo gives devs a choice and make it so that they can turn off those extra features and use all 2 GBs of RAM. Either that or just make a separate pool of RAM for said extra features. From the patient, it looks to have 3 pools.

Apparently, that's not the case at the moment. Would still never be all two either.

So, one of haptics/UE4 confirmed/Vitality Sensor.

I really don't see what else could be classified as "major".

Well I think the Vitality Sensor is permanantly on the shelf, and definitely not a part of the controller (no where to stick your finger into).

Haptics are one of those things I keep seeing people ask for, but I don't think the tech is really ready for prime time/affordable enough for some thing like this just yet.

To me that leaves UE4.

HylianTom

Banned
What devkits? The Wii dev kit you mean?
Yeah.. the Wii dev kit appears to use a green color that's the same as the connection port that was in the leaked uPad photo.
wiigreen5.jpg

I rather like that green. Reminds me of Link.

Snakeyes

Oh really? This is nintendo we are talking about.

Edit: Talking about everything except the RAM

They may be adverse to expensive technology but not stupid. If there's one area where they can absolutely compete with MS and Sony until the end of the next generation, it's the online/OS piece. The sheer amount of ram dedicated to it, along with the decision to include NFC is proof that they're going HAM on that aspect this time.

Well I think the Vitality Sensor is permanantly on the shelf, and definitely not a part of the controller (no where to stick your finger into).

Haptics are one of those things I keep seeing people ask for, but I don't think the tech is really ready for prime time/affordable enough for some thing like this just yet.

To me that leaves UE4.

Would make so much sense. Console needs to be future proof. Cue Ace.

That's not going to happen. Imagine if Microsoft disabled bringing up you're friends list or cross game chat for certain games so they can use the system's full amount of RAM. They're not going to cripple major OS features just to give devs the RAM they want.

Lyude77

Allowing the use of all the RAM doesn't really sound like Nintendo's style, but hopefully they'll adjust it a little based on needs, etc.

Yeah.. the Wii dev kit appears to use a green color that's the same as the connection port that was in the leaked uPad photo.

I rather like that green. Reminds me of Link.
Agreed. I love grass-colored green. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom