• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Violet_0
(05-04-2012, 05:06 PM)
okay, so this thread is about awesome old cartoon shows that we have fond memories of, that are still surprisingly great to this day. I'm talking of course of timeless classics such as

Ducktales

and it's spin-off, Darkwing Duck

and why yes, even the Gummi Bears (Disney really could do no wrong back then)

to name just a few. The secret purpose of this thread is to find out which quality shows I missed out on as a kid.
Last edited by Violet_0; 05-05-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Trancetronic
(05-04-2012, 05:07 PM)
Uhoh.
SolsticeZero
(05-04-2012, 05:08 PM)

Rocko was, and always will be, one of the best written and voice acted cartoons of all time.

You can never go wrong with classic Looney Tunes. The Rabbit of Seville still makes me laugh my ass off to this day.

Again, another classic Nicktoon. Up until the movie where the new baby came into play, that is.

Man, Nicktoons were in their prime in the 90's

Voiced by Don Adams and Frank Welker, I would wake up every morning to watch Inspector Gadget as a child.
Last edited by SolsticeZero; 05-04-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(05-04-2012, 05:08 PM)

Still the best
Seda
the worst pokemon
(05-04-2012, 05:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Teetris

Still the best

I was expecting this lol.

(I haven't watched it recently so I can't say)
sixteen-bit
(05-04-2012, 05:09 PM)
Batman TAS
SUPREME1
Banned
(05-04-2012, 05:10 PM)
Tom & Jerry
Looney Tunes
Batman TAS
King Arthur/Excalibur
a million more, mind going blank, too early
Perspicacity
Disney's television animation studios were pretty fantastic back in that time period. Gargoyles, Talespin, and Aladdin were all pretty great.

Originally Posted by Teetris

Still the best

Does not stand the test of time as much as you think. EDIT: Oh, just saw the other thread. I get it

Batman TAS and Superman TAS on the other hand became even better as I got older.
Last edited by Perspicacity; 05-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Dissonance
Ithil

Tom & Jerry is the shit.
Sethos
Banned
Fritz
(05-04-2012, 05:11 PM)

I still find this hilarious and witty.

I still find this absolutely engrossing and beautiful.
Last edited by Fritz; 05-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Rhomega Beta
(05-04-2012, 05:11 PM)
Batman: The Animated Series. In fact, anything by Bruce Timm. Still the pinnacle of Batman IMO. Also, Animaniacs, though some pop culture jokes don't age too well ("Now I know why American Gladiators stays on the air...").
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(05-04-2012, 05:12 PM)

I swear I learned more from this show than actual school.
Rahxephon91
Banned
(05-04-2012, 05:13 PM)
Beast Wars-Suprisngly well done. It really has some great characters, with even better voice acting. Dinobot is especially one of most well done Transformer characters.

G-Gundam

X-men TAS-Really, the show had pretty great story arcs that as a kid really had me keep track of things. That alone made it feel epic in scope compared to other kids shows.

Powerpuff Girls-Just a fun show.

But basicly Beast Wars is my top pick.

Last edited by Rahxephon91; 05-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Blimblim
The Inside Track
(05-04-2012, 05:14 PM)

Still great after all those years, my 7 years old nephew loves it.
RiccochetJ
(05-04-2012, 05:15 PM)

It's been over 20 years since it's debut.
SolsticeZero
(05-04-2012, 05:16 PM)
Omzz
(05-04-2012, 05:16 PM)

loved it as a kid. now that I watch it again I understand the jokes lol
Taffer
(05-04-2012, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Fritz

Also Danger Mouse
fuenf
Captain Tsubasa

Still the best football cartoon / anime, great characters.
Ultima_5

googleplex
(05-04-2012, 05:19 PM)
Gargoyles!

Such an awesome show back in the day, and it still holds up.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Solstice

Ah thanks for the nostalgia jolt.

Originally Posted by Ultima_5

And you too. Both were great. Are great.
FillerB
(05-04-2012, 05:22 PM)

BattleMonkey
(05-04-2012, 05:22 PM)
Gi Joe is still awesome and fun, especially the cheesy parts.
bjaelke
(05-04-2012, 05:23 PM)
Gooster
*searches "Batman TAS" and "Beast Wars"*

Carry on.

Edit: Although I was a teenager by the time it aired, Batman Beyond is still a great watch on DVD.
Violet_0

Originally Posted by Omzz

one of my favorites as a kid. A similar and surprisingly clever show that I loved to watch was The Weekenders

unfortunately, it only got one season I think
8BitsAtATime
It's all about Gadget Boy and A Pup Named Scooby Doo

Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 05:24 PM)

Might be cheating, but DBZ Kai showed me DBZ still holds up. If you cut out all the filler and dub it as it was intended to be.
Kentpaul
When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
(05-04-2012, 05:24 PM)

best show ever.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(05-04-2012, 05:25 PM)

Pepper Anne's still gotta hold up, right?
Trancetronic
(05-04-2012, 05:26 PM)

No exceptions.
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician

Originally Posted by Dissonance

Motherfucking this. Still the best "generic lifestyle" cartoons ever aired
TheAtomicPile
Superman: The Animated Series deserves a specific mention.

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos in several areas. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.
Violet_0
(05-04-2012, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Andrex

Pepper Anne's still gotta hold up, right?

I'd think so. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember it being way ahead of most other kids shows at the time
PdotMichael
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of moe
Freakazoid

or pretty much all Warner Bros shows from the 90s.

and of course Heidi and the other World Theater Masterpiece shows

Last edited by PdotMichael; 05-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Gooster

Originally Posted by TheAtomicPile

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

The WB animated series is still probably the last great thing involving Superman (outside of comics, haven't kept up).

Originally Posted by PdotMichael

Freakazoid

or pretty much all Warner Bros shows from the 90s.

My friends and I watched Freakazoid on DVD some time ago and I definitely agree. I think I enjoy it more now than back then.
Tambini
(05-04-2012, 05:28 PM)

Recess was the shit!
Sir_Crocodile
(05-04-2012, 05:28 PM)
Visionaries
Thundercats(until leonard starr left after "mumm-ra lives!")
Dungeons & Dragons
Prince Valiant
Reboot
Post-Movie Transformers(rodimus era, earlier stuff could be good, i.e. revenge of bruticus, but more often was not)
Last edited by Sir_Crocodile; 05-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Cat Party
(05-04-2012, 05:29 PM)
The Tick is good. Looney Tunes is still fun to watch. The Simpsons probably doesn't count, but of course the ones that were on when I was a kid are still great. My kids watch Arthur and it's a really good show (I am too old to have seen it as a kid).
Ithil
(05-04-2012, 05:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Solstice

Dat theme music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oS_uOU9jAQ
John Rabbit
(05-04-2012, 05:30 PM)
itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.
Messofanego
(05-04-2012, 05:31 PM)
Everyone's already listed the best ones.

The Maxx - Even though I never fully understood this show as a kid, it stuck with me and having rewatched it, it's on so many levels of fucked up. On the levels of Evangelion.

The Maxx promo
Ithil
(05-04-2012, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Rabbitwork

itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.

We have a thread for that already, thanks.
Rahxephon91
Banned
(05-04-2012, 05:32 PM)

Escaflowne was probably my first anime. I think I was 10 or 11 when it had that crummy airing on Fox Kids. Well I was interested in it, because I really liked Knights and stuff as kid. Excalibur is one of my favorite movies. So of course it looked cool. The airing on Fox was supposedly bad, but I did'nt care. It was really cool to me. Fox never finnished it, but around this time my family got Netflix and well I rented the first 4 dvds, which is all they had. It really was on of the first anime titles I was watching uncut. It was even more amazing. Of course DvD 4 ended on a big cliffhanger, but Netflixs didn't have the rest of it at this time. Well, then Escaflowne became the first anime I started collecting.

I can easily say I loved it back then. It just felt great with exciting characters in a cool world and of course the suits of armor. So unusual for me back then.

I haven't really watched it in a while, but I started watching it because I thought it was a decent show to introduce to my niece. Well I've been enjoying it. It's aged pretty well. The actual animation is still pretty decent and the story still has some good things about it.

While it's not exactly deep or anything, the characters are still engaging. Vann is a decent lead. You know, he is your typical rambunkous teenage male, but you know the dude has motivation and he's just not boring to watch at all. So many anime leads seem to cookie cutter and just bystanders in there own show, not Vann though. He goes head first into the action. He actually does show growth as well. Hitomi is somewhat worse, but nothing terrible. Some of her confusion makes for a good foil for Vann, she is a bit more level headed and keeps him on some sort of chain. It's a solid dynamic. Of course who I really like is Allen. Because he's the stereotypical white knight, but yet he is anything from perfect. I think his character makes a good point in this type of love story honestly(the seemingly perfect dude). He has a lot of flaws, but in the end he is'nt a bad person and can even be pretty badass.

I don't know it's a decent show. The story is solid and pretty eventful. The music is of course still great. The art is just beautiful.
Sir_Crocodile
(05-04-2012, 05:32 PM)

Everything I've posted I own the complete series of on dvd.
TheAtomicPile
(05-04-2012, 05:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Gooster

The WB animated series is still probably the last great thing involving Superman (outside of comics, haven't kept up).

Well, there was still the Justice League series that came a little bit later, although that was obviously only partly about Superman.

The All-Star Superman movie that came out a little while ago was very good, too.

I agree that they could be doing a better job with the character. Batman gets way more love from WB executives than Superman and I think the character deserves better.
Rahxephon91
Banned
(05-04-2012, 05:35 PM)

I really don't understand this. There were millions of cartoons and kids shows when everyone was a kid, yet some of these stayed with people. That to me says they were pretty good.